OP
UTC

MP3-250 oh and XRV750 Africa Twin

UTC quote
OK my delightful partner despite being told not to, took my scooter out with a very dead battery. I have been asking him to check it out as it is draining the battery since he rebuilt it after doing the oil/water seal.

It broke down and would not start, I was not impressed but he decided to leave it in a lay by near our home overnight and said don't worry it is safe round here we are in the countryside!!!! Famous last words luckily they never managed to steal it or he would have been in serious trouble with me.

However they did steal a bit of it. A panel on the left hand side, where your foot goes on the side of the fuel tank is now missing. What I am trying to figure out is what was under there as there is a small rectangular hole which looks like something fits inside it. When I looked at the workshop manual on page 309 it is shown as 4. 004012 Rear fairings

If anyone can enlighten me as to what if anything is under there as she started with a different battery but I am loath to go buy a new one until I am sure of what has been stolen incase it does affect that bike.
Many thanks
Anna

@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
Re: Missing panel
AnnaH wrote:
OK my delightful partner despite being told not to, took my scooter out with a very dead battery. I have been asking him to check it out as it is draining the battery since he rebuilt it after doing the oil/water seal.

It broke down and would not start, I was not impressed but he decided to leave it in a lay by near our home overnight and said don't worry it is safe round here we are in the countryside!!!! Famous last words luckily they never managed to steal it or he would have been in serious trouble with me.

However they did steal a bit of it. A panel on the left hand side, where your foot goes on the side of the fuel tank is now missing. What I am trying to figure out is what was under there as there is a small rectangular hole which looks like something fits inside it. When I looked at the workshop manual on page 309 it is shown as 4. 004012 Rear fairings

If anyone can enlighten me as to what if anything is under there as she started with a different battery but I am loath to go buy a new one until I am sure of what has been stolen incase it does affect that bike.
Many thanks
Anna

It will be a few days before I can look at mine, since it's dead in the parking lot at work for the moment. PM me and remind me in a few days.

@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Those panels go missing at a drop of the hat. I very, very much doubt it was stolen, I bet it flew off on the ride. There's nothing inside to steal anyway, though there is a moulding that looks as though it should accept a relay or something. Nothing there though.

Sort out why the battery isn't charging - best bet is the 30A fuse that protects the regulator...
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks Jim, it was there the night before and was all screwed, in so long as there was nothing underneath that was my main worry. I will look into the fuse and get it changed to see if that solves the problem. I am also going to buy a decent battery Motoblat seem to be the best these days or at least that is what I use on the Africa Twin.
I am missing using the scooter right now as in the rough weather it is a great little tool down here in Cornwall.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0255s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0034s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]