OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi,

My name is Larry and my wife just bought a new 2009 MP3 last Saturday. She is in the process of getting comfortable with it as she is just getting back on riding on her own after 30+ years.

I am an experienced motorcyclist (I ride a Goldwing 1800). I have spent a couple of days riding this thing and even took it to work today. It's a whole lot of fun and I would love to see a full size motorcycle with this front end.

Gripes would be lack of storage and wind protection although these issues are easily remedied with an application of money It also vibrates a bit but I might see if a set of Vibranators will help http://www.vibranator.com/ I use these on a dirtbike and they really work.

I will be on this forum lookig for technical knowledge and cool mods.

Thanks a lot,
Larry
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
Re: Introductions
LVH wrote:
Hi,

My name is Larry and my wife just bought a new 2009 MP3 last Saturday. She is in the process of getting comfortable with it as she is just getting back on riding on her own after 30+ years.

I am an experienced motorcyclist (I ride a Goldwing 1800). I have spent a couple of days riding this thing and even took it to work today. It's a whole lot of fun and I would love to see a full size motorcycle with this front end.

Gripes would be lack of storage and wind protection although these issues are easily remedied with an application of money It also vibrates a bit but I might see if a set of Vibranators will help http://www.vibranator.com/ I use these on a dirtbike and they really work.

Thanks a lot,
Larry
Welcome, and I hope she enjoys it as much as I do.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
LVH wrote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot,
Larry
vibrations are normal for a single cyl 500cc engine. to help smooth out the delivery change out the stock rollers to Dr pulley sliders.
I would recommend either the 16 gram weights or the 17 gram.

Welcome to the forum
@alexb avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 MP3-500

Addicted
@alexb avatar
2008 MP3-500
UTC quote
LVH wrote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot,
Larry
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Forum! I know you from the GL1800 Site.

The Wind Protection Issue is easily solved with addition of a larger windshield.

The Storage Protection Issue has also been addressed... Since you're a winger, I'd offer my solution of having added a Vetter Truck to the rear, borrowed off an old goldwing!
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

You can also install a J&M CB, so as to enable communication with any wings that you may ride with.

Bottom Line, as with everything, it's just a question of how much time and money you want to spend... The nice part is that pretty much all issues with the MP3 have been addressed in this forum.
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
UTC quote
Welcome, LVH,
There are quite a few of us in the Bay Area. If you see an all black 500 with windscreen and topcase, with rider in yellow helmet and yellow green jacket, well, that'd be me. Welcome again!
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Forum! I know you from the GL1800 Site.

The Wind Protection Issue is easily solved with addition of a larger windshield.

The Storage Protection Issue has also been addressed... Since you're a winger, I'd offer my solution of having added a Vetter Truck to the rear, borrowed off an old goldwing!

You can also install a J&M CB, so as to enable communication with any wings that you may ride with.

Bottom Line, as with everything, it's just a question of how much time and money you want to spend... The nice part is that pretty much all issues with the MP3 have been addressed in this forum.[/quote]

Thanks, I did find an adjustable windsheild I will probably add. I plan to add a GIVI E46 as a top box. I am familiar with the J&M CB as I had one on my ST1100. I am interested in how you mounted it. Is that a mod of one of their standard mounts? How did you mount the antenna?

Larry
OP
UTC

UTC quote
[/quote]vibrations are normal for a single cyl 500cc engine. to help smooth out the delivery change out the stock rollers to Dr pulley sliders.
I would recommend either the 16 gram weights or the 17 gram.

Welcome to the forum[/quote]

Thanks for responding. Since I ride dirtbikes as well as the Goldwing I am familiar with single cylinder vibrations. It does not seem like the MP3 is a counter balanced engine, is it? It does seem to smooth out at higher RPMs. In any case I have had very good results with the Vibranator vibration dampers and will probably use them in this application.

Larry
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
LVH it is easy to quote someone here just look at the top right corner of their post and click on the quote, then add a space and type away in the box when it comes up. this way your posts will look much better and you don't have to copy and paste anything and miss stuff
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS

Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
UTC quote
Welcome to the club!
You will like it here!
@alexb avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 MP3-500

Addicted
@alexb avatar
2008 MP3-500
UTC quote
LVH wrote:
Thanks, I did find an adjustable windsheild I will probably add. I plan to add a GIVI E46 as a top box. I am familiar with the J&M CB as I had one on my ST1100. I am interested in how you mounted it. Is that a mod of one of their standard mounts? How did you mount the antenna?
I originally mounted the cb to the right rear grab bar, using a J&M antenna mounting kit designed for a license plate... I later moved it to the front of the Vetter Box shown earlier. I made the mount for the cb head itself, as J&M does not make one.
MP3-500: How2 Add a J&M CB
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
LVH it is easy to quote someone here just look at the top right corner of their post and click on the quote, then add a space and type away in the box when it comes up. this way your posts will look much better and you don't have to copy and paste anything and miss stuff
Or better yet, don't quote a message with photos (or a very long one). We don't need to see the photos twice. Just reply.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0267s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0029s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]