OP
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I got my new laptop today!!!

I am so freaking excited. I can just laugh at hardware requirements, this thing exceeds them all by far. I can actually multitask, everything is so effortless on it. I've completely skipped over USB 2.0 in favor of 3.0 and BlueTooth. It's guts are on par with my fiance's desktop, which is set up for CG graphics. Oh, except I have a better graphics card than he does. Supposedly the webcam can even accept gesture commands, though I haven't quite gotten that figured out yet. It does have the amusing ability to turn my image into a realtime teddy bear avatar that replicates every movement and eye blink I make. I'm not exactly sure how useful that will be, but it's kind of interesting.

I should be all set for animation capture capability for quite a while now. On the go. With music. And unlike my previous Dell laptop, even though it's considered a widescreen, it actually fits in the padded laptop pouch of my backpack. So far, the only issue I've found is that the fancy customizing driver for my wireless mouse isn't compatible with Windows 7. Perfect excuse to go out and get a BlueTooth one, then.

Sorry, sooooooo not Vespa related. But I'm seriously excited here. It's been pouring cats and dogs all day, I got this shiny new toy to explore.... and I'm trying to convince myself that yes, I really should still go in for my short work shift this evening. I'm not coming up with any appealing reasons, but I'm sure I'll do it anyway.
@quipmc avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200L Grigio_Smoky a.k.a. "Il Grande Lebowski"

Ossessionato
@quipmc avatar
2005 GT 200L Grigio_Smoky a.k.a. "Il Grande Lebowski"
UTC quote
Re: [NSR] It's here!!!
Witch wrote:
I got my new laptop today!!!
So what brand/model is this wonderous PC? Nerd emoticon

And congrats on the new toy!
OP
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Sony Vaio S. They offered me a $100 recycling credit when my old Dell started to be more trouble than it was worth.

i7 3.1GHz quad core, 12G memory, 1TB harddrive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics w/ wireless display technology, Windows 7 Home Premium, backlit keyboard, backlit 15.5" full 180p HD display....

Wooooooweeee!

The whole machine is skinnier than the keyboard I've been using on the old Vaio desktop. The lid/screen is skinnier than even my smartphone. We're planning on ordering a docking station for it by Christmas. So far the ONLY thing I think I don't like about it is how flimsy and fragile the lid appears to be. I may add one of the colored plastic lid covers as well, to hopefully stiffen it up just a little bit. Whenever I put my old Dell into a bag, I'd put the lid side facing to the back of the bag, because it was smoother than the bottom and seemed pretty damn solid. I certainly won't be doing the same with the Vaio S.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Congrats. It seems that Sony has always been able to make a very slim laptop, so I can only imagine how thin your new Vaio S is. You are right too, 12GB and 1T should keep you happy for quite some time.

After about a year I'm now pretty comfortable with the interface changes that came with Win7, and since I just recently bought a Lenovo desktop for home, and we are still trying to eliminate XP from work, I doubt I'll even see Windows 8.
OP
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I haven't used Windows 7 all that much. Dan's desktop has it, but the only time I've used it is to print (XP and 7, as far as we can tell, aren't compatible for home network printing off the 7 machine). But it isn't so vastly different from XP that I can't use it fairly intuitively. Oh, hey, and I'll be able to print through the network now, too!

I haven't read anything I like about Windows 8, which was one of the reasons for getting the laptop now, before they start shipping everything with 8. Perhaps it'll be a fine OS. Don't know. Don't particularly care until they work the bugs out of it, either. You know they're going to have some.

Figured out the webcam gesture controls now! Pretty darn cool. Pity it doesn't work with very many programs. That would be fantastic for animation capture. I could just wave my hand at the screen and grab a frame. Wouldn't have to risk bumping anything or jostling a camera cable.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
After about a year I'm now pretty comfortable with the interface changes that came with Win7, and since I just recently bought a Lenovo desktop for home, and we are still trying to eliminate XP from work, I doubt I'll even see Windows 8.
I've been running Win 8 on one of my tablets since March. You aren't missing anything if you skip Win 8. Win 7 is much better IMHO.

Witch
Congrats, your new computer sounds like a beauty.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Congratulations! That's quite a spec jump from the last computer. One of my favorite features of the i7 computers is the support for virtualization - one can get into all sorts of trouble with that feature alone.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0262s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]