OP
UTC

Vespa LX 125

Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Hi all!
I am looking to get myself some womens waterproof textile trousers as the weather starts to get a little miserable.
I can't afford to spend more than £100 unfortunately, and have seen 3 options, Cycle Spirit, Probiker and Bering.
Any thoughts on any of those brands? They are all from getgeared.co.uk
Help would be appreciated!
Tanya
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
Have you considered a scooter skirt? All the benefits of waterproof trousers but much easier to don and doff. Also, in cold weather the insulation is heaven and makes riding longer distances not only possible, but pleasant.

And when you arrive, you stand up, unclip the belt clip and it's off.

Http:// www.scooterskirts.com

The owner is an MV member, and a mensch to boot.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Have you considered a scooter skirt? All the benefits of waterproof trousers but much easier to don and doff. Also, in cold weather the insulation is heaven and makes riding longer distances not only possible, but pleasant.

I was checking out the ScooterSkirt. Does it flap around much at speed?
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 125

Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:

The problem is I have no trousers with protection in case of a fall.

Would rather just have it all in one. Thanks though!
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
id do weise again
i bought a pair of weise padded winter over trousers about 9years ago n they are still waterproof .... these are an updated version

i also have some alpinestar moto cross thin ones that i got 3years ago n they now leak these .... wow the prices have gone up
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Check out waterproof ski pants which you can find at any sporting goods store. Inexpensive, available in sizes that can slip over your riding pants, and also windproof, so you'll stay warmer.
UTC

Enthusiast
Beverly 350 (Ex MP3 250ie)

Enthusiast
Beverly 350 (Ex MP3 250ie)
UTC quote
I use the blokes version of these: Berghaus Deluge
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 125

Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Thanks all for your help.
Ideally I am looking for a full trouser with the protection etc. Do others use any like that?
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Mine are Tourmaster Caliber.

They are generally waterproof but have leaked in the crotch. When that happens, I wash in some waterproofing, and that does the trick.

They have adjustable knee armor, and hip padding and come with a removable liner, and two-way zippers in the leg.

I was very appreciative when I came off my Vespa last week in a torrential downpour. Managed to stay mostly dry in spite of the crash plus no injuries worth mentioning.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Frogg togs over the usual gear for me. 200+ rainy miles rain home from Savannah last April I was dry and happy.
@parkaboy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTV 250 ie portifino green NOW SOLD looking for a GT200

Hooked
@parkaboy avatar
2007 GTV 250 ie portifino green NOW SOLD looking for a GT200
UTC quote
ski pants in tk maxx......

cheap warm and padded ......

got mine for £20...
@huskyteer avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@huskyteer avatar
Honda NC700D Integra
UTC quote
I definitely recommend wearing armoured overtrousers. Oxford Bone Dry are said to be pretty waterproof and are within your budget. I also know people who swear by the jackets and trousers LIDL and ALDI do when they're having a motorbike special.

I'm currently rocking BKS Gloucester overtrousers, which are the most waterproof I've ever owned - never a crotch leak, and I've been out in some foul weather in them! RRP is £200 but the manufacturer has gone bust so you might be able to find a good deal.
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
tsharma wrote:
Thanks all for your help.
Ideally I am looking for a full trouser with the protection etc. Do others use any like that?
I wear Olympia Airglide 3 Mesh Tech. It costs a bit more than what you are seeking ... but, these are great. Read the details for description of protection (including knees and hips). What I really like are you can unzip the sides up to the waist band to put them on; lining, same thing. This way, your slacks do not get wrinkled by putting them on one pant leg at a time. The only additional cost will be to have them hemmed, for proper fit, unless you do it yourself.

I see USA ebay has a few pairs priced less ... one pair NWT ... which is also listed on UK ebay.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
MikeyL wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:

I was checking out the ScooterSkirt. Does it flap around much at speed?
No, very little. And I've heard / read that some people use the included Velcro strips to hold the edges to the cowls... but I have never felt that was necessary. In fact, I've been told by friends who have been behind me at night that the slight waving of the reflective piping on the edges is very eye catching, and that is a big plus for a scooterist at night.

If you are looking for crash protection, though, a scooter skirt doesn't offer much in that department. But for the price of decent knee pads, you can improve the equation in your favor.

I know myself and every level of complication reduces the likelihood I'll actually use a piece of gear. As a result, my armored winter pants remain in my closet for all but the longest bad weather ride at high speeds.

You know yourself better than anyone. Buy gear you'll use/wear.
@scooter-it avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 2020

Hooked
@scooter-it avatar
GTS 300 2020
UTC quote
My problem with rain pants is that they become very slippery on the saddle Wha? emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I use these:
http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tucano-urbano/tucano-urbano-panta-urbis-t-trousers-black.html

The full-length zip makes getting them on and off a doddle. They had the severest test I could imagine in Wales on Sunday, and kept me warm and dry from the waist down, while nearly all my fellow riders in 'proper' m/c gear were soaked to the skin.

Slightly more than GBP100 at GBP115, but Urbanrider may very well give an MV forum discount. They aren't gender specific, but for this task you want function over form.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
Do you have Decathlon sports stores there? I have a set of ski/hiking over-pants I use with full length zips that are easy to get on/off that were quite cheap from them that work fine, however in Sydney we do not have the extremes of weather you have there.

Cheers,

Chris
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Try "Frog Toggs" they are Great!

They go over your regular clothes, and don't take a lot of space.
I have them in both my Scoots, and I just pull over under a bridge, put them on, and keep riding. They seal the weather out nicely.
I also use the Top if the Weather changes to cooler temps then I had expected.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
I've got a pair of Alpinestars Stella Drystar armoured women's trousers. They've never leaked a drop of water and I commute in some absolutely torrential rain. However, they are very £££.

I'll join Alice in recommending Aldi/Lidl brand overtrousers. My partner absolutely swears by his, and they only cost £50. If you're only commuting short distances (i.e. less than an hour each way) without too much motorway time, then you won't necessarily need industrial-strength raingear.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
It's worth checking out whether someone like Infinity have any special offers on at the moment. Also, M&P and J&S sometimes turn up with bargains. And of course there's eBay...

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Clothing-and-Helmets/Ladies-Textile-Trousers

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/clothing/textile-jeans.html
@leemajors avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 2003, GTS250 06
Location: Bearpark...It ain't a park and there ain't no bears

Hooked
@leemajors avatar
ET4 2003, GTS250 06
Location: Bearpark...It ain't a park and there ain't no bears
UTC quote
Heya,

Several long time bikers and riding instructors have always warned me off using the ski/snowboarding type of trousers as wet weather protection. The reason that they all gave was that in the event of an "off" involving sliding along a rough road (as opposed to "smooth" snow), the kind of material used in a lot of these trousers can generate a lot of heat and can cause severe burns and can even melt and stick to the skin causing worse injuries. Has anybody else heard / have experience of this?

The main reason that I would not use them is that even though they have some padding I do not believe that it is sufficient enough to prevent / lessen anything but the most minimal kind of crash........

Lee
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
I use Revit waterproof PVC over-trousers (unisex).
Low cost, never leak and pack away under the seat. Then you can choose to wear whatever level of padded or road protection underneath.
http://www.rev-it.co.uk/item4203.htm
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
leemajors wrote:
Heya,

Several long time bikers and riding instructors have always warned me off using the ski/snowboarding type of trousers as wet weather protection. The reason that they all gave was that in the event of an "off" involving sliding along a rough road (as opposed to "smooth" snow), the kind of material used in a lot of these trousers can generate a lot of heat and can cause severe burns and can even melt and stick to the skin causing worse injuries. Has anybody else heard / have experience of this?

The main reason that I would not use them is that even though they have some padding I do not believe that it is sufficient enough to prevent / lessen anything but the most minimal kind of crash........

Lee
You are correct, sir. They are decidedly not suitable for crash protection.
In my own previous post, I mentioned that I wear them over my usual riding pants, in my case, Draggin' Jeans.

To elaborate, I found the pair I have on sale for around $20.00. Their only purpose is rain/wind/chill protection. The downside is that they are bulkier than say, Frogg Toggs, so they're not something I carry around just in case of a weather-related surprise.
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014
UTC quote
Hello
I use a pair of Weise over trousers with braces and my jacket over the top
They were £50
They are padded, have knee and hip protection, are warm and keep me dry
And they are men's ones
I find that ladies fit over trousers aren't that comfy
Safety is all
Hope you get what you want!
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
OP
UTC

Vespa LX 125

Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for!!!! Thank you!
@420beans avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 Vespa ET4

Hooked
@420beans avatar
2001 Vespa ET4
UTC quote
I have a very basic and cheap pair of Spada waterproof trousers and they are great. Totally waterproof, and even better, they do not hold any water. The water runs off in the wind and they wont drip water all over the place when you get into your destination. I highly recommend them.

I'm pretty sure they are these http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Spada-911-Nylon-Trouser.html
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The problem I have with all the cheapo over-trousers is that they're an absolute bugger to put on over one's boots when out on the road. Apart from that they're just fine, but just that one thing makes them a complete no-no for me.
@fade avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint

Hooked
@fade avatar
UTC quote
Menhir wrote:
Check out waterproof ski pants which you can find at any sporting goods store. Inexpensive, available in sizes that can slip over your riding pants, and also windproof, so you'll stay warmer.
+1!

You stay dry during the ride and when you slip them off too.
jimc wrote:
The problem I have with all the cheapo over-trousers is that they're an absolute bugger to put on over one's boots when out on the road. Apart from that they're just fine, but just that one thing makes them a complete no-no for me.
My "over-trousers" have a zipper up the inside of the cuff for about 16 inches. Makes it really easy to get over boots going up or down.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
My "over-trousers" have a zipper up the inside of the cuff for about 16 inches. Makes it really easy to get over boots going up or down.[/quote]
That still doesn't work over my boots - they just won't go down through the leg, never mind getting as far as the zippered bit. Of course this does depend on what boots you're wearing and your foot size.
@fade avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@fade avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
That still doesn't work over my boots - they just won't go down through the leg, never mind getting as far as the zippered bit. Of course this does depend on what boots you're wearing and your foot size.
Your boots must be huge. I wear US size 13.
However, the rain pants I use are quite loose below the knee and have a pull string at the bottom to cinch them around the boots. Might be why mine work. I don't remember what they're called at the moment but I picked them up at REI.
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
When I rode in Seattle, I used to wear Carhartt lined duck cloth pants in the cooler months. Not only did they end up being essentially weatherproof, but were very warm, comfortable, easy to put on (big zippers on the side) and you can even slip knee armor into them (pockets pre-built into the pants).
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
You're welcome!
The hip padding makes you look a bit erm, 'hippy' but don't worry it's all about the safety. Hope you get on we'll with them
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0461s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0127s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]