OP
UTC

Hooked
2008 LX 190 Nero Grafite (Sold) 2015 Moto Guzzi V7II Special

Hooked
UTC quote
Hi people, I am about to install my second 190 kit on the LX after 6000 miles of mostly fun and an ill advised combination of a racing plug and a 100 mile freeway run.
My question is this: the first install I babied the LX as per the Malossi guidelines for the first 600 miles.

This time i'm wondering if I should go down the "hard" break in route - ie. lots of throttle variation and speed - no really long WOT's - but enough to hit max speed.

Your collective thoughts and wisdom are welcome.
Ta,
Mark
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
I broke mine in pretty much as you suggest, and it's still going strong after nearly 13K miles.

I think the most important things are to load the engine occasionally with moderately heavy acceleration up hills, and to avoid constant rpms for long time periods. Just fully backing off the throttle occasionally for a moment helps to draw oil up the cylinder walls for additional lubrication.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks, as always, Dave.
I've put a couple of hundred miles on her in the last 3 days with lots of variation of throttle, speed etc. - She's running better than ever!!

I think I put this 190 kit together a bit better than the last one - lapped all the heads and used gasket cement.

Although its about a year since I put the last one in it seemed much easier this time - it's a bit like changing belts and rollers - the first time I changed the vario and rollers etc it took about 3 hours. Now I can get the whole thing done in under 1/2 an hour. I'm convinced I could actually do it blindfold as I've done it that many times

Anyhow, the kit seems good and I've taken her up to about 55 mph so far - seems to have much better compression and the Dr Pulley Hit clutch is still going strong. I thoroughly recommend you try one of these - immediate drive response with none of the "winding up " you get with the standard clutch.

Thanks again for your thoroughly perfect wiki on the 190. hopefully I won't need it again

best,
Mark
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0238s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]