UTC

Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250

Addicted
@bklwashere avatar
2006 Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
daibutsu wrote:
One thing I haven't seen posted (for fear of redundancy!!) is a "bear bag" ...
This one may fit the bill for moto-camping: http://www.ursack.com/
@piglet avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV250, PX150 & LX50

Hooked
@piglet avatar
GTV250, PX150 & LX50
UTC quote
Sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy.

I agree that a self-inflating sleep pad is the best. I have an REI camp bed which is the best purchase for camping I have ever made. We bought the supersize model, but I know they sell down to basically half-body models for backpackers. Be aware that they never repack as small as they were when you bought them in the store.

I also agree with the EMO parachute hammock - they have given us a lot of fun and relaxation and take almost no room. On that note, you may want to look into state or federal parks over KOA. The only KOA I have stayed at was in Harper's Ferry and it was not very rustic or woodsy feeling.

My second to last tent was a Eureka dome. You could assemble it with no stakes and move it from spot to spot without taking it down. I once assembled it with no light, no help, and no problems. Remember that a two person tent is made for one, a four person tent is made for two, etc. As has been mentioned, you also need room for gear, so you will have to balance packing size with room to sleep and be comfortable.

Have a great time and good luck!
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
UTC quote
Hennessy hammocks look like an awesome idea for packing light. Assuming you don't have to bring along two trees.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Bill
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Hammocks
I'm an avid backpacker and LD bike tourer (bicycle, that is) and hammocks are great although Hennessey is pretty much a "starter hammock" I'd look into Jack'sR Better, Warbonnet, and Clark for more serious and Non-Chinese hammocks. The major drawback to hammocks is that below about 70 F you will get very cold unless you have non compressible insulation between your bag and the hammock; some even add insulation outside of the hammock. A lesser amount of closed core or other insulation would serve you fine while tent camping. The insulation becomes the primary consideration over all else in cool to cold hammock camping. Also, although rare, there are a few places that formally frown on it, i.e., the C&O canal might turn a 'blind eye' but doesn't approve of strapping their trees.
@muttsnuttsracing avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 SSR

Hooked
@muttsnuttsracing avatar
GTS 300 SSR
UTC quote
Just a thought.... i find my Givi tunnel bag really useful, doubles as a shoulder bag and has a waterproof case as well. If your fitting on of the floor racks then the adjustable straps will fit round that.
Givi scooter tunnel bag T496
Givi scooter tunnel bag T496
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
It's funny how us avid campers will tell everyone to pack light, but always have one more suggestion for something to bring along. Razz emoticon

I'm including myself as guilty of that charge.

And on that note: A luxury item, but one that actually saves space:

Defeet Motosox. These things are da bomb.
They are getting a bit hard to find. I'm not sure if they have been discontinued or not, but they're still out there. You can wear them all day and they remain cool and comfortable. In fact, you can wear the same pair for several days of touring...seriously...that's what they're made for.

I found some here on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/DeFeet-Motosox-Mid-Calf-Motor-Sports/dp/B005QALE40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351886353&sr=8-1&keywords=motosox

Roadrunner Magazine (my personal favorite, which is both motorcycle and scooter friendly) sell them with their brand. The two pair I have are all I need to pack.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
Unless you are going to do a lot of camping from now on, I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of stuff that will just sit in storage forever. You may be able to borrow gear from friends or a local Boy Scout troop. But if you plan to do some camping and backpacking, I agree with CDWise. Backpacking gear is designed to be small and light.

Get a two man tent from a good company. You'll be able to store some extra gear and be able to get dressed inside. One man tents are really one very small child tents.

A good backpacking sleeping bag, rated to 20-30 degrees and a sleeping bag liner that will give you more warmth and you can use either alone to suit the temperature. Basically layering.

Thermarest self inflating mattress pad. You will always be sleeping on top of a tree root or rock, so this is a must.

Backpacking stove (white gas or butane)

Backpacking or candle lantern.

Backpacking cooking set (small sauce pans, skillet, cup and spork (knife and fork in one) Use your pocket knife for cutting food.

Most camping equipment can be shared on a trip, so coordinate with the rest of the group so you all aren't bringing one of everything. Freeze dried food is very expensive. You can buy Ramin noodles, pasta, rice, beans, etc that can be reconstituted with water. You can also buy the food you need before you get to your next campsite. That way you aren't carrying all your food for the whole trip.

Last thing...bring a camera. We want pictures!

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.
UTC

gts super 250

gts super 250
UTC quote
I use dry bags with roll down tops and are 100% waterproof . Use one for sleeping bag and pad. Use the other for your tent and under tent trap,both may be wet ln the morning. It is alot easier to stuff things into the dry bag if you put a plastic bag inside first . I also keep hand warmers for inside the sleeping bag when it gets cold.
OP
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
ontheroad wrote:
I use dry bags with roll down tops and are 100% waterproof . Use one for sleeping bag and pad. Use the other for your tent and under tent trap,both may be wet ln the morning. It is alot easier to stuff things into the dry bag if you put a plastic bag inside first . I also keep hand warmers for inside the sleeping bag when it gets cold.
That's a good tip, thanks.

Welcome to MV, fellow Montrealer! By my reckoning, that makes three of us.

I'm guessing that you are way more experienced than I am with camping. Where's the best place to buy gear? MEC, La Cordée, Atmosphere, or somewhere else?
OP
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Oooh... I see I've graduated to 'Molto Verboso". Cool.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0364s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0261s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]