OP
UTC

Hooked
brand new 09 Gray 250 replaced by Piaggio

Hooked
UTC quote
I took the extended warranty on my used ET4 because I was not sure of its background. I can't decide what to do with buying a new scooter. Do you think it is worth it or not? Help !! :? :?
@old_pink avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX50

Hooked
@old_pink avatar
Vespa LX50
UTC quote
https://modernvespa.com/forum/forum2.html

And what are the price differences?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I think he was referring to buying the extended warranty for an MP3...
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Did anyone purchased this option with your new MP3. What are the pro's and con's?
@mergner avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
The CH80

Enthusiast
@mergner avatar
The CH80
UTC quote
I personally believe these plans are best considered as a type of "repair insurance." For example, my brother and I both purchased two virtually identicle chrysler vehicles. He bought the extended plan for 2,000 and spread the payments over five years and I didn't.

He has made a killing off the plan. We have each experienced the same mechanical failings - he has paid nothing for repairs. I have to pay out of pocket each time. In this case the repairs have far exceeded the 2000 initial payment. I have meanwhile been beaten down with a new 800 repair bill once a year for the past 6 years.

Like any insurance, it is a gamble. If you choose to buy it, you are saying "I bet this baby is going to breakdown so many times that the costs are going to be over 2000." The insurance company says, "I'll take that bet!" One of you wins, one loses.

As a general rule: If you are the kind of person who has a ready cash rainy day fund (1000ish) and can replenish it easily, don't buy the plans. If you know you are not likely to have such cash on-hand, and the thought of repair bills sends your budget into a tizzy, buy the plan.
@jconner avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS, MP3, Honda elite II, etc

Lurker
@jconner avatar
GTS, MP3, Honda elite II, etc
UTC quote
Take the extended
With the MP3 being a new model and the front suspension being so relied upon, take the extended. You never know in a new models' first year what will happen. I got an extended warranty with mine. 595.00 for peace of mind. Piaggio only offers only a 1 year. The wear and tear on the suspension will probably require some attention at 10.000 miles or so....gonna be way more than 595.00 to replace. Get one
@osm3um avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Tangerine Stella, 2007 Mint Green Perego Vespa, 2007 vintage Red GTS 250ie

Hooked
@osm3um avatar
2005 Tangerine Stella, 2007 Mint Green Perego Vespa, 2007 vintage Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Re: Take the extended
jconner wrote:
With the MP3 being a new model and the front suspension being so relied upon, take the extended. You never know in a new models' first year what will happen. I got an extended warranty with mine. 595.00 for peace of mind. Piaggio only offers only a 1 year. The wear and tear on the suspension will probably require some attention at 10.000 miles or so....gonna be way more than 595.00 to replace. Get one
I am about to put a down payment on an MP3 so am quite interested in this subject.

How long have the mp3 been running around in Europe? Anyone know how they have been holding up?

Has anyone had an experience (positive or negative) with the warranty with other Piaggio units?

I am having a difficult time finding any feedback from current owners.

Thanks,
Bob
@mergner avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
The CH80

Enthusiast
@mergner avatar
The CH80
UTC quote
Bob,
These bikes are brand spanking new. Nobody has owned theirs for more than 6 months in either Europe or state-side. If they are constructed like their other scooter products, they will be well made. The only constant complaint I have heard from all Piaggio/vespa owners is the delay in getting spare parts. Until after this summer's riding season, I would expect few responses from people about their MP3 experiences. Scooters are niche vehicles at their core and the MP3 is an exotic that will likely take a while to build a consumer base. I know that you are seeking reassurance that you are making a sound purchase, but beyond a generalized history of success, reassurance about the MP3 doesn't exist. Sometimes you just have to jump in and be one of the first. Oh, and when you do, can you tell us how the long term reliability goes for you?

Best,
Stephen
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0573s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0310s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]