@duomatic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200L

Enthusiast
@duomatic avatar
GT 200L
UTC quote
I have a slow fuel leak on my 2007 GT200. The leak is (very likely) in the short fuel hose between the fuel tap and the fuel pump (hose #1 in the photo below, if I have it identified correctly).

From the many posts on the topic, it looks like it is common for these clear fuel hoses to disintegrate after some years on the GT200, depending on fuel, environment, etc.

I've been studying the posts on this subject, so I think I know what to do next, but want to make sure I've got everything right before I jump in and drench myself in gasoline.

From what I've gleaned from previous posts, I should replace this #1 tube, and perhaps the vacuum tube as well (#2 in the photo below?), with high quality fuel hoses and clamps, available at my local auto supply store.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

My questions are:

1. Do I have the hoses in the picture identified correctly, i.e., #1 is the fuel-tap-to-fuel-pump hose, and #2 is the vacuum hose?

2. Assuming that there are no other problems or leaks (fingers crossed), and that the cracked #1 (fuel-tap-to-fuel-pump) hose is the only faulty part: can I assume that removing this #1 hose should result in only a modest amount of fuel spilling out, and not a major outpouring of fuel, like from the tank? Does the same hold true for the vacuum hose, #2?

I am hoping to avoid siphoning out all of the fuel from the tank, etc.

I realize that I may find that my simple diagnosis of a cracked #1 hose may be off the mark, and in that case, all bets are off, depending on what other problems lurk in my fuel line. But, I am hopeful that it is the hose only. Replacement of one or two hoses seems like an easier, less-messy fuel leak fix than some I've seen on this forum, especially if it does not require a complete siphoning out of the fuel tank.

Thanks ahead, for the wisdom and guidance...
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
If your fuel tap is working properly, then you should be able to remove both hoses with minimal fuel loss. But if the tap is not closing properly or if the diaphragm is torn, you could lose substantial amounts of fuel. It's always best to have a clean catch container standing by.

-craig
OP
@duomatic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200L

Enthusiast
@duomatic avatar
GT 200L
UTC quote
Thanks! I will prepare for a flood, but hope for a puddle.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
why not replace them all, and have a fresh start with your fuel lines?
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I'll second the replacing all of them. Just a few more minutes and a few bucks. Things deteriorate over time and better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.
OP
@duomatic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200L

Enthusiast
@duomatic avatar
GT 200L
UTC quote
I like that idea, thanks.

I'm new at this, and I've only really focused my research on the two (that I can see) made out of the problematic clear plastic material (#1 and #2 in the picture).

How much more is there to replace to do all of them? Will it involve a lot more fuel spillage, siphoning etc., or are the other hoses limited in fuel content while the engine is off, like the two above?
OP
@duomatic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200L

Enthusiast
@duomatic avatar
GT 200L
UTC quote
Well, I have extracted this fine specimen of "Tubus Corrupta":

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
might want to run a capful of sea foam every other tank or so. or maybe pull the carb, give it a good cleaning. that's if yer up for it.
there are the lines from the fuel filtre, fuel tap, etc. just replace all that clear junk with good rubber fuel line. i use the sprung steel clamps, some have found OEM clamps and the special(?) crimping tool, some use regular hose clamps or jubilee clips...i don't like those very much.

there's that little foam filtre on one side needs cleaning as well. i've pulled my evap-o-crap junk off my scooter. you'll need a couple extra bits...one tube blocked, one left open(but filtred, supposedly) and then a longer tube from the over flow nipple off the gas tank filler neck down to near the ground plane...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Clear ones were the worst and mine crumbled when we took them off. The others didn't cost anything big. I think i had 4 total? Can't remember. Gas leaking wasn't an issue. Got the lines at O'Reilly's and the clamps at Lowes. Looks like your doing a good job.
OP
@duomatic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200L

Enthusiast
@duomatic avatar
GT 200L
UTC quote
Thanks for the added info, Richardsan and Judy.

As yet, I have only replaced the #1 "tubus corrupta" in the photo above, but that solved the gas leak problem! I bought the higher quality tubing, and some clamps, from my local auto supply store. Although I was prepared for a deluge, there was no flood, just a tiny bit of fuel (thanks again caschnd1!), so I think all of the attached components are sound for the time being.

My original post was just a few days before the annual Arizona "Tucson to Nogales" fall classic camping rally (which, as a side note, was a blast!). My primary worry was the 120 mile ride (193 km), each way, into the Southern Arizona back-country, with gas leaking onto my extra-hot (a result of the speed and duration of the trip) exhaust pipe. So, a quick fix on just the obviously broken bit was all I could manage in the short term. Nonetheless: success!

Now that I'm back from the rally, I've added your suggested clean-up, and replacement of the other lines as well, to my to-do list, starting with any tube that is clear...

Another, slightly related side note: for the second time, a long, high-speed run on a GT200 has resulted in what I believe is an exhaust pipe leak. After a couple of hours at or near top speed, my scooter sounds considerably more like a Harley. It happened first on my 2005 GT200 a couple of years ago, and this recent rally trip resulted in the same loud grumble on my 2007 GT200 (I took the freeway home). I've been reading up on this common problem; seems like there are consistently posts about it from the early-to-mid GT200 days through to the present. But, that is the topic of an entirely different post, and yet another fun scooter repair project to learn about...

Thanks again!
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
UTC quote
This is a rather common problem....
Couple folks amongst our group have had fuel leak via a crack in this plastic tube and opted to replace with a fuel line tube (I believe it was a 1/4").

I opted to replace mine before it became an issue...though not cracked it was discolored. I believe that due to exposure to the elements that these do fail in due time.

Thanks for reminding us...maybe something to consider for those looking for "winter projects".
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@vproven avatar
UTC

Lurker
200GT

Lurker
@vproven avatar
200GT
UTC quote
GT200 Fuel Line Size
Can anyone please tell me what size fuel line goes on a 2004 GT200? I hate making several trips to O'Reilly's.
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
UTC quote
Re: GT200 Fuel Line Size
vproven wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what size fuel line goes on a 2004 GT200? I hate making several trips to O'Reilly's.
1/4" ID worked and indicate that it is for use as a fuel line. As explained when I first picked up a replacement sales person pointed this out since they do sell different types.

Good Luck!
⬆️    About 8 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
2006 GT200

Lurker
2006 GT200
UTC quote
GT200 fuel line
I'm new here, and just writing this as a THANK YOU - for - eight years later - helping me solve this problem. I'm new at maintenance on my somewhat beat up, but still running 2006 GT200 with 14K on it.

As an addendum, this exact original short fuel line blew out on me while riding, spewing gas all over the place. Luckily I was only a mile from home and got it home, holding the scooter tilted to the right at each stop light to keep fuel from pouring onto the hot exhaust.

Problem fixed now - thanks to you!

Cheers-
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The problem with this line is that it is extremely short, one end is 1/4" and the other is 3/16". So you can either force a piece of 3/16 on the pump, or clamp the heck out of the 1/4" tubing on the fuel valve. So it is not uncommon for the new hose to start leaking a lot sooner than the old one, which is the correct size on both ends.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0342s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0104s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]