OP
@phil1ben avatar
UTC

Vespas: 2001 ET4 and 2009 GTS 250

@phil1ben avatar
UTC quote
Hurricane Sandy destroyed my 2003 ET4 and I am awaiting settlement proceeds from the insurance company. The 2003 was on Long Beach Island. I have decided to move my 2001 ET4 to LBI and buy a new scooter for weekends in Bucks County, PA. So the question arises---which one to buy?

I do not use the scooter on major highways but secondary roads where the speed limit is normally 45-50mph. My wife usually comes with me. We put less than 600 miles per year on each scooter. The ET4 was fine for those purposes but we found it slightly (and I mean slightly) lacking in the comfort and power department, particulary up steep grades. It would be nice to have a rear foot peg so my wife had a place to put her feet. Also I normally put the scooter in my F-150 myself to take it for service so weight is a consideration. She also occasionally drives it herself short distances and she does not want something too big. Assuming price was not a paramount issue which new model Vespa would you all suggest.

Thank you.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Sorry about your scooter. See if you can find a used 200. Their carbed and bulletproof. Bigger than the ET and it would give you more room and your wife more comfy in back. However the foot pegs on all the models suck IMHO. Good luck and pics when you get it.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
That sucks.

The closest equivalent would be the LX 150. It's pretty much the ET in new clothes. The past couple years, they added fuel injection to it, so that would probably help with your slight power issue. It couldn't hurt to at least go try one out.
OP
@phil1ben avatar
UTC

@phil1ben avatar
UTC quote
I appreciate your responses. My issue with the LX 150 is that in my opinion it lost the classic Vespa look. The square headlight might be the issue but to me it doesn't have the same classic look as the ET4. Certainly some may like it better but I like the traditional Vespa models.

What was the last year of the 200? That may be a good compromise. I do like the model with the headlight over the front wheel but that is a 300 right?
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
2007 or 8 i think. Your thinking of the GTV'S or LXV'S. They have the headlight on the front fender. Cool look. They come in all models (i think). Getting one of them on an older model scoot might be hard but not impossible. If you like the square headlight they make a S150. Good luck.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
Square headlight is the S150. The LX150 looks very similar to the ET4. More power would require stepping up to the GTS, which is heavier, but much better handling on he open road in my opinion.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Cost no option? Wait for the official announcement for the 946 - pure sex on wheels.

In the mean time, pick up a used ET or LX150 on your local Craigslist after the next snowfall to putt around on until the 946 hits your nearest dealer, then go all-in.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
The LX is a slightly redesigned ET with a round headlight.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The S is an LX with slightly different trim and the square headlight.

The LXV is an LX with a minimalized headset, exposed chrome handlebars, and comes with a split leather seat.

All of these are available in a 150 carb model (though no longer produced for the US), or the current fuel-injected 150 models. Same engine for all of them.
⚠️ Last edited by Witch on UTC; edited 1 time
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
The GT 200 was made up until 2009 from what I've heard, but most of them were snatched up by '07 or so.

The GTS used to be a 250 fuel injected model (really 244cc). There's tons of them around, though probably hard to find new at a shop at this point. The current version is a 300 (really 278cc).

The GTS Super basically has a slightly different trim package. There were a few 250s available for a while. Now all 300s.

The GTV is the one with the headlight on the fender, and comes with a split leather seat. Fancy GTS, basically. Used to be a 250 (I have one). Now in the 300 flavor.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
[quote="Masala"]Cost no option? Wait for the official announcement for the 946 - pure sex on wheels.
quote]

I must be out of the loop ***big surprise*** Which one is the 946 that you talk about?
UTC

Hooked
BV 350

Hooked
BV 350
UTC quote
I personally would get the 300. I know it seems like too much especially since you said roads around there are 45-50mph, BUT its always nice to have the extra power and being able to get quickly at 50-55mph and easily cruise is a big bonus. Its also good having the extra power in case you ever would choose to go elsewhere. I too was concerned that the 300 would feel big and less nimble, I was completely wrong. For me more power is always better
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
I saw an item online recently that said, basically, do not call it Hurricane Sandy. By the time it hit NY/NJ it was a post-tropical cyclone. Who gives a hoot? Well, the article said insurance companies do. If it was a cyclone the homeowner pays a deductible of $1000 to $3000, depending. For a hurricane the deductible is 1% - 3% of the value of the home. Could be $27,000 +/-.

I might have mis-remembered the actual values but the order of magnitude is in there someplace. Also, it depends on your policy.

Worth checking out with your agent.

Here is one link out of many:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/homeowners-could-save-thousands-deductibles-after-sandy-1C6808930

I searched for cyclone sandy insurance deductible.

Looks like our government is aware of this and keeping an eye on the insurance companies. Yeah politics!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0363s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0123s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]