Harbor Freight Mini Tire Changer & Mounting Bar Mods
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
Molto Verboso
LX150 Darling Plum; GTS 250 Dragon Red; Honda Big Ruckus Demented Bastard
Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:23 pm quote
I am going to order the MojoLever today. I have been going back and forth on getting it but since I had my GTS250 rims powder coated.. I have to get something better than the bar that comes with the HF changer...
It is Found at: http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm
It really looks like a slick solution.
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:24 pm quote
ExonicJay wrote:
Sorry guys, I didn't know about the No-Mar policy about selling there replacement tips.

I guess you will have to purchase the No-Mar Bar to become an authorized customer.
What do you think these things are made of? I wonder if Delrin is tough enough for the job ... I have a metal lathe so I could start making them if I can get the material for it ... I'll do some experiments and have a go at it.
Vespa 150LX
Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:30 pm quote
I just looked at the link for the mojo bar and it says it is made of nylon? It is minimally cheaper but I like the looks of it. RV Dave
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:53 pm quote
I think Nylon's softer'n Delrin ... and both are pretty easy to machine ... okay, i'm gonna have a stab at makin' my own
Vespa 150LX
Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 pm quote
Go for it and let us know, pictures etc. I have the HF changer and want to put a No-Mar type tip on it as shown on exonicjay thread. (One of the last entries on the thread)

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic10771?highlight=front+tire+replace

Make an extra one and I'll buy it! RV Dave
Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:50 pm quote
beamerweb wrote:
I think Nylon's softer'n Delrin ... and both are pretty easy to machine ... okay, i'm gonna have a stab at makin' my own
The No-Mar tip has a steel metal core that is 1/2" at the shank and narrows to 1/4" at the tip.
The plastic outside has lathe turning marks and is malleable like nylon.
My guess is the steel mandrel is pressed into the plastic form.

However, I think Delrin is worth a try.
The delrin could be supported with an internal steel mandrel like the N--Mar tip if additional strength is needed.

Her are some close up pictures of the No-Mar tip that may help you turning the part..

Hooked

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 pm quote
UHMW Polyethylene is a little denser than Delrin.
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 pm quote
Excellent pictures, Jay!

it seems like the shape of the tip is probably the most important bit - next to strength. I wondered if there was some steel in there reinforcing things. Makes sense, for sure.

I might have to give this a go over the weekend. Looks pretty straightforward. I think I have some Delrin laying around. It doesn't look like it has to be an exact copy as long as we can find a way to get the thing to mount on the mini-tire changer shaft which I'll be buying soon enough.

Could I get you to take a couple semi-accurate measurements for me? The overall length, the length of the little bulb at the end, the diameter of that bulb and the teeny diameter up there right against the bulb? It doesn't have to be intensely precise - but within 1/16 would be good

Thanks for the pics!
Addicted
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 pm quote
Overall length is 3.96"
Bulb diameter is 0.97"
Bulb length is 0.50"
Teeny diameter up there right against the bulb is 0.53"
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 am quote
Thank you, sir!

Looks like i'll have to pick me up some 1" stock - on to Tap Plastics!
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:08 am quote
Alrighty ...

This weekend, I was able to pick up some Delrin for making this little guy ... I went a little shorter just because that's what I had around. It should still work pretty well. I'll have to give it a try soon, the wife's rear tire is gettin' pretty close.

Anyway - some pics (really crappy quality, sorry!)

The grub screws probably need to be trimmed so they'll sit below the delrin sleeve. I'll leave 'em for now until I can use it and see if they get in the way at all.

I went ahead and mounted it straight to the HF bar for now. If I find I need more leverage, I'll make up a 1/2" extension and coupler.

One thing I learned in this (being the newbie machinist that i am) was that I really do need to get an arbor press. The steel bit inside starts out at about 7/8 then steps down to accommodate the taper on the delrin cap. I also want a radius tool, too, now

I think I'll hold off on grinding the tip to match the No-Mar that Jay posted. Right now it looks a bit more like the Mojo's end. I want to experiment with it this way for a bit before I make any changes to it.

Once I work out the bugs, I might be able to make these tips pretty cheaply. The real trick is time - the materials weren't super expensive, but the time spent (albeit as a newb and as R&D) was quite a bit more than I'd like. I'm sure once I get a system worked out, they wouldn't take too long to make up.

Anywho ... I'll report back when I have a tire to remove

Addicted
Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:30 am quote
Jason:

That looks great! Nice work.
I see no reason why that won't work.
Please, keep us posted.

Last edited by ExonicJay on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Red 2009 GTS, 2008 Majesty, 2007 People S 200
Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:34 am quote
RV Dave wrote:
Ok, I just went to the link posted below to buy a no-mar tip and there is a posted notice at the bottom of the page that states I may not purchase tips unless I am a registered owner of a No-Mar Mount / Demounting Bar? What with that? How do I get a tip / tips? Do I ignore the posting and attempt to purchase tips? Is there another source? Are they available on E Bay for example??? Hmmmm RV Dave

http://www.nomar-secure.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=demount+tips+
Nylon bar stock is < $5/ft at plastics supply houses. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=6670&step=4&showunits=inches&id=219&top_cat=181

If you have a lathe, nylon ends are a breeze to make. If you're less well equipped, a drill and hacksaw job should work.
Molto Verboso
LX150
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 pm quote
Thank you! I love it! I can hardly wait for my tires to wear out so I can achieve my first fully home-changed tire.
Hooked
2009 GTS Super
Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:04 am quote
beamerweb:
Are you making these for sale?
Dave
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 pm quote
Hi Dave,

I haven't, yet, but that's mostly because I haven't had the opportunity to test it out, yet. I'm holding off till it warms up a bit before changing the wife's tire (she hasn't ridden it for 3 months, it ain't gettin' much wear lately).

When I've had a chance to test it, I might consider making a few up for sale. If it works
Hooked
2009 GTS Super
Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:56 am quote
Thanks Jason,
I'll keep watching this thread.
Dave
Hooked
Red 2009 GTS, 2008 Majesty, 2007 People S 200
Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 pm quote
Thanks much for the posts with info on the tip. Great to see someone's lathe work. I'll be making some of my own. I bought some delrin from my local TAP Plastics.

Note that No-Mar uses HDPE, and Mojolever uses Nylon. I wonder why.
Would it would be better to use HDPE or teflon instead?

Teflon is very soft and slippery, and therefore possibly less likely to scratch paint than harder materials like delrin. I wonder if delrin will scratch softer or poorly-adhering paint off of rims.

Some Rockwell hardness data:

Teflon R15
Nylon R110-120
Delrin R120
HDPE R50-61

Also, teflon is extremely slippery with a dynamic friction coefficient of around 0.10, much lower than other plastics'.

All these plastics are available in 1" rod from a number of online sources. Teflon is pricey stuff at over $13/foot (onlinemetals.com).

My lathe and I are looking forward to any usage reports on the delrin tips!
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150
Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:43 pm quote
Well I'm only ... 9 months behind ... lol!

I finally got to use my tip for the first time today. Only major note is the grub screws I used were wimpy and after using it the tip's a little loose. I'll drill/tap some slightly bigger holes for some larger set screws one day.

Anyway - the tire removal process was very uneventful. The tip worked flawlessly. I'd say the HF mini tire changer needs a couple other mods before I'd be satisfied with it, but for removal, it's a snap.

Getting the tire back on, on the other hand, was a bit more challenging. I bet there's a reason you guys mention that slickery stuff, huh? Well I started out dry and got the tire about 2/3 on before the whole mess just spun no matter how tight i tightened the wheel down (one mod i plan to do is remedy this issue). I finally slathered on a bunch of soapy water and with determination got the tire on and seated well.

I did ding up my wheel a bit from the spinning while trying to get the new tire on. There was ZERO damage done in removal of the tire so either this is easier than I thought or the tip really did improve things significantly. Seeing how much scuffing I had when putting the new tire on, I'm betting the tip helped quite a lot

I'm not sure if I'm up for production runs of these tips, yet, i wanna perfect the fastening method and they're kinda labor intensive to make. If I had a CNC lathe, i'd spend a weekend and whip out a batch of 'em and sell but as it stands, i'd have to charge an arm and a leg, possibly an ear as well, to be motivated to make some. Time just ain't on my side lately.

ANywho - thought i'd report my success. Delrin tip worked great!
Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm quote
After three of us wrestled a pal's Ruckus tire on the shed floor with tire
spoons, I picked up the mini changer for cheap with a HF coupon, along with
some longer spoons. Having a tiny shed with wooden floor is not ideal for mounting this thing,
so I picked up this class III hitch vise mount to use in place of bolting it down to the floor. It was about $17 with a coupon.
The vise holes are not spaced close enough, but there were 1/4" holes for a
rubber mat thingy that aligned up perfectly. I enlarged the holes and used
the 3/8" bolts supplied.

I think it will put it a good working height as well, sticking out from
behind the '88 F150 that hardly ever leaves my driveway. Will give
the other Ruckus tire and my rear GTS tire a go next week.

Molto Verboso
LX150 Darling Plum; GTS 250 Dragon Red; Honda Big Ruckus Demented Bastard
Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:39 pm quote
I will have to try this, as the table I have mine mounted to has 4 inch rubber wheels, so moves around alot........ I have a Ford F150 pickemup truck laying around......
Addicted
Sun May 08, 2011 1:05 am quote
starreem wrote:
some longer spoons. Having a tiny shed with wooden floor is not ideal for mounting this thing,
so I picked up this class III hitch vise mount to use in place of bolting it down to the floor. It was about $17 with a coupon.
the 3/8" bolts supplied.

starreem:
That's a cool way to hold the Harbor Freight Mini Tire Changer.
No Ford F-150 here anymore but I have a car with a 2 inch Class 3 hitch.
Have been using the hitch for a bike rack mostly.
I'll have to give it a try for changing scooter tires next time.
Thanks for the good idea.

Lurker

Wed May 04, 2016 5:51 am quote
Mini Tire Chager AtHarbor Frieght PRICE!!!!
Pittsburgh Automotive 61179 Mini-Tire Changer
Mini-Tire Changer
Pittsburgh Automotive - item#61179

Read 98 Reviews
Write a Review
A tire changer for golf carts, ATVs and other small vehicles

comp at $49.99
Sale: $42.99
Qty:
[url] http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-tire-changer-61179.html [/url]

It's not selling for $29.99, not sure where you got this deal???
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Mon May 09, 2016 6:38 pm quote
Bead Breaker: Free

Tire spoons and rim protectors: $24.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spoon-Motorcycle-Tire-Iron-Irons-Changing-Rim-Protector-Tool-/381352887749?hash=item58ca6745c5:g:WVAAAOSwDNdVwXuS&item=381352887749&vxp=mtr

Satisfaction of a job well done and not having a bunch of tools lying around that only get used every 3 years: Priceless

GTS 250 ie
Fri May 13, 2016 9:28 am quote
I prefer some motion pro spoons myself. But if youre gonna knockoff some parts... Nomar would be the product to copy!
Hooked
2007 Avio Grey GTV

Sun May 15, 2016 2:20 pm quote
WHALERS1988 wrote:
Pittsburgh Automotive 61179 Mini-Tire Changer
Mini-Tire Changer
Pittsburgh Automotive - item#61179

Read 98 Reviews
Write a Review
A tire changer for golf carts, ATVs and other small vehicles

comp at $49.99
Sale: $42.99
Qty:
[url] http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-tire-changer-61179.html [/url]

It's not selling for $29.99, not sure where you got this deal???
Check the date of his post. That was a sale *nine years ago*.
Lurker
2005 GT200L & 2019 Yamaha Xmax
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 am quote
starreem wrote:
the 3/8" bolts supplied.

Old thread - but have others tried the hitch mounted HF mini tire changer with success? Looks like a good idea...
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:59 am quote
donmac wrote:
starreem wrote:
the 3/8" bolts supplied.

Old thread - but have others tried the hitch mounted HF mini tire changer with success? Looks like a good idea...
I did it and it works great.

You have to be careful that you don't scratch the wheel with the tire spoon. Some tires are easier to get on and off than others. The last one that I did I wound up cutting the tire off of the rim after unseating the bead.
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:18 pm quote
Greetings

I wanted to use a hitch mount, but had trouble finding a receiver bar with that square plate to bolt it on. I ended up laminating 2 3/4" sheets of plywood with a 2x4 stud together, and through-bolted the HF to that. I squeeze the 2x4 in my trusty Workmate and it's strong and stable enough to lever a tire off without spinning the platform. There's a peek at my setup in THIS THREAD.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous12
[ Time: 0.1132s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0936s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]