UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
What is most common in use in NZ? liter/100km or km/liter?
I should start a new thread on the subject of liter/100km.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
In 1976? That is 48 years ago. And you still have Imperial mpg in your head?

Time to make the switch I would say.
What is most common in use in NZ? liter/100km or km/liter?
I know, I should get over it, but old habits in this case seem to die hard.

Litre/100km, but some vehicles (Japanese I think) show km/litre in their displays. My own Alfa shows litre/100km in the trip computer.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
With a side of liter or litre. ROFL emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Which is a really ridiculous measurement, even if you fill using litres and measure your distance in Km. You need a sliderule to work out l/100km...
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Which is a really ridiculous measurement, even if you fill using litres and measure your distance in Km. You need a sliderule to work out l/100km...
Exactly.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Sliderule.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Of course it's a silly measurement but the geek in me has meant I have set up a spreadsheet that does all the gruntwork that the slide rule (which fits in the underseat bucket) used to do.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Of course you carry a sliderule around in your pocket. I did in my university days (1960) and still use one regularly for scaling the models I build.
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Yes, please start a new thread.

I for one find L per 100km a much better measure of efficiency than miles per gallon (or any distance per volume measure). The US EPA or DOT seemingly agree. New cars in the USA have their efficiency listed in gallons per 100 miles. There was a whole write up about it on the EPA website somewhere. The advantage to volume/distance is that comparisons are linear. Differences in mpg between two vehicles is not linear.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/gallons-per-100-miles-best-fuel-economy-metric/

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a12367/4324986/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/car-labels-fuel-efficiency/

I will post the EPA article if I can find it again.
I really think we should just bite the bullet and go metric. Instead of gallons per 100 miles, just join the majority of the world and go L/100 km.
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Yes please do.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
I for one find L per 100km a much better measure of efficiency than miles per gallon (or any distance per volume measure). The US EPA or DOT seemingly agree. New cars in the USA have their efficiency listed in gallons per 100 miles. There was a whole write up about it on the EPA website somewhere. The advantage to volume/distance is that comparisons are linear. Differences in mpg between two vehicles is not linear.
The argument for l/100km (or gallons/100M) seems to be, if I may sum it up: by making the computation more difficult for everyone on a day to day basis, the ability to compare the efficiency of cars to each other in a linear fashion becomes easier.

Which makes about as much sense as peeing your pants in winter for a bit of cozy warmth.

You've lowered the cognitive load of comparing car efficiency by making the numbers linear, but the cost of doing so is a significant cognitive load in the day to day computation of fuel usage.

Thanks, but I'm full up on stupid ideas at the moment.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
As a side note 1 mph = ~2688 furlongs per fortnight.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The argument for l/100km (or gallons/100M) seems to be, if I may sum it up: by making the computation more difficult for everyone on a day to day basis, the ability to compare the efficiency of cars to each other in a linear fashion becomes easier.

Which makes about as much sense as peeing your pants in winter for a bit of cozy warmth.

You've lowered the cognitive load of comparing car efficiency by making the numbers linear, but the cost of doing so is a significant cognitive load in the day to day computation of fuel usage.

For me, knowing the gallons per 100 miles really doesn't seem like much of an advantage over just knowing miles per gallon. But, unless I'm missing something, once you know your mpg is, say, 38, don't you just divide 1 by 38 on the calculator (that you just used to get your mpg) and then move the decimal point over two spots (in your head) to get the other thing? It doesn't seem that complicated. Unless, as I say, I'm missing it...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
GBaby wrote:
For me, knowing the gallons per 100 miles really doesn't seem like much of an advantage over just knowing miles per gallon. But, unless I'm missing something, once you know your mpg is, say, 38, don't you just divide 1 by 38 on the calculator (that you just used to get your mpg) and then move the decimal point over two spots (in your head) to get the other thing? It doesn't seem that complicated. Unless, as I say, I'm missing it...
It's not gallons per 100 miles, it's litres per 100 kilometers as a standard - which when you measure in US gallons and miles, or litres and miles as in the UK, is a RRPITA and no relevance to actual personal experience. And I don't use a calculator to work out my mpg - I can easily work out if it's nearer 18 mpg or 20 mpg just from looking at the trip meter in the van and the gas pump reading.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
I see, it's the conversion from gallons that makes it a drag. Another reason to go metric in the US. Except for Celsius, of course.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
GBaby wrote:
Except for Celsius, of course.
Of course.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
GBaby wrote:
But, unless I'm missing something, once you know your mpg is, say, 38, don't you just divide 1 by 38 on the calculator (that you just used to get your mpg) and then move the decimal point over two spots (in your head) to get the other thing?
The decimal move isn't hard, but dividing 1 by 38 (or worse, the dreaded 37) in your head is nontrivial. Yes, of course having a calculator makes it easy. So does having a spreadsheet with the formula.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Distance per volume tells me how far I can drive my vehicle.

Volume per distance tells me how much it's costing(me or my grandkids).

Times are getting tough I guess.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
My truck displays the current distance to empty, and the MPG for the current tank. At the end of the trip, it displays the distance traveled, time of the trip, and the average MPG for that trip. I can also readily access the average MPG for the current trip, current tank, and for the life of the vehicle.

My wife's car only displays the current distance to empty.
@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
It doesn't really matter if it's l/km, km/l, mpg, gpm, F or C. They will all give you information that you can use to compare distances or heat. They're all base 10 so relatively easy to scale.

The issues arise when you realise that mpg can be different from mpg, depending on local size of m and g. Therefore it makes more sense to use l and km, which are the same size all over the earth.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
T.S.Zarathusra wrote:
The issues arise when you realise that mpg can be different from mpg, depending on local size of m and g. Therefore it makes more sense to use l and km, which are the same size all over the earth.
I have no objection to l or km. Only to the particular arrangement thereof.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The decimal move isn't hard, but dividing 1 by 38 (or worse, the dreaded 37) in your head is nontrivial. Yes, of course having a calculator makes it easy. So does having a spreadsheet with the formula.
Ever since the phone started living in my pocket with a calculator on it I use it for stuff like gas mileage all the time, not that I was ever as good at doing calculations in my head as some people I've been around. But I'm also the kind of guy who uses numbers like "19 3/4 minus" all day long at work, so there's that.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:

When used to compare which vehicle to buy, volume/set distance is a much better metric than distance/volume. That linear comparison makes comparison shopping much easier. There is MORE arithmetic involved when using mpg when used to compare vehicles.

I fail so see how L/100km or the ridiculous Gallons/ 100 miles is any more difficult than miles/gallon for daily use. It's just not what American brains are used to seeing. It's the same reason that so many Americans' eyes glaze over when they see "km", "L", "cm" on something. They just aren't used to it.

If, for example, I wanted to know how much fuel it is going to take to go 65km and my car is a 5L/100km vehicle, the math is simple. 5*0.65 =3.25L

If one has to do it with a d/v method; a 47mpg car to go 40 miles; 40/47=0.85 gallons.

They are both simple arithmetic problems. How is one inherently harder than the other? If anything, the division problem is harder to do in one's head. It is just a difference in perspective. What is it that one trying to ascertain? If you want to know how expensive a trip is going to be, or asking if you have enough fuel for that leg of a trip, then the v/d system is easier. If one is vehicle shopping, then the v/d is again more useful. If one just wants to know how far you can go on a unit of fuel, then the d/v system is marginally better. I see more pros for the v/d than for d/v.

It is anything but a "stupid idea". Nearly a billion Europeans would disagree with that assessment. Besides, it was you that asked if you should start a new thread on L/100km.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
When used to compare which vehicle to buy, volume/set distance is a much better metric than distance/volume. That linear comparison makes comparison shopping much easier. There is MORE arithmetic involved when using mpg when used to compare vehicles.
The laugh here is that you think you can somehow change my mind with your incredibly effective debate skills.
TwistAndGo wrote:
Nearly a billion Europeans would disagree with that assessment. Besides, it was you that asked if you should start a new thread on L/100km.
"Nearly a billion Europeans" (actually, I think you're off by about 20-odd percent, but whatevs) also use Celsius, and seem to believe that it is superior because (checks notes) because they "grew up with it and are used to it".

If you had read this thread, you would know what I think of that.
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The laugh here is that you think you can somehow change my mind with your incredibly effective debate skills.
Who pissed in your cornflakes?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
Nearly a billion Europeans
Google says about 750 million Europeans. That's not nearly a billion just like 15 MPG isn't nearly 10 gallons per hundred miles.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
Who pissed in your cornflakes?
People who were banned for being asshats and insisted on coming back, only to prove that their ban was completely justified.
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Google says about 750 million Europeans. That's not nearly a billion just like 15 MPG isn't nearly 10 gallons per hundred miles.
LOL, if you were to following rounding, then it rounds up to a billion.

Besides, how many other countries outside of Europe use the L/100km system? Asia? Africa? Australia? South America? I don't know. It's bound to get that number closer to or above 1 billion.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
LOL, if you were to following rounding, then it rounds up to a billion.
750 million only rounds up to 1 billion if you are doing the math by counting on your fingers and toes.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
People who were banned for being asshats and insisted on coming back, only to prove that their ban was completely justified.
I never have understood the method of bearing an "un-ban-hammer".
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:

I will just go back to ignoring your barbs and insults then.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
I will just go back to ignoring your barbs and insults then.
And yet you ventured into this thread unarmed and tried to pick a fight. Odd way of "ignoring my barbs".
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
And yet you ventured into this thread unarmed and tried to pick a fight. Odd way of "ignoring my barbs".
Were "barbs" as you put it, necessary or warranted? No.

I wasn't trying to "pick a fight". I was discussing the merits of a topic. Debate, not bickering.
⚠️ Last edited by TwistAndGo on UTC; edited 1 time
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
Where "barbs" as you put it, necessary or warranted? No.

I wasn't trying to "pick a fight". I was discussing the merits of a topic. Debate, not bickering.
If you really want to debate, let's debate the relevance of rounding 750 million up to a billion. I mean really, ONE significant figure is all you can handle?
UTC

Banned
Primavera 150

Banned
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
If you really want to debate, let's debate the relevance of rounding 750 million up to a billion. I mean really, ONE significant figure is all you can handle?
And now the pedantic insult brigade starts chiming in. Wow!
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
Where "barbs" as you put it, necessary or warranted? No.

Speedometer is off. (Post 2641025)

It's like we're in Groundhog Day.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
This reminds me of the Guillow's rubber band powered gliders from my childhood.

You wind it up, see how it flies and how it lands. You fiddle with the wings and tail a bit, wind it up again and send it.

This works until you get greedy and wind the rubber band up more and more. For a while, it still works and the flights seem a bit better. Eventually, you wind it too much, the band breaks and playtime is over.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
This works until you get greedy and wind the rubber band up more and more. For a while, it still works and the flights seem a bit better. Eventually, you wind it too much, the band breaks and playtime is over.
I can't tell if I'm the winder or the band in this analogy.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
Eventually, you wind it too much, the band breaks and playtime is over.
Thats because you weren't using a Malossi band.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
TwistAndGo wrote:
And now the pedantic insult brigade starts chiming in. Wow!
It being tax season and all, would you round up in similar fashion in order to pay ~$10,000 instead of $7500?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1005s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0660s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]