UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Thats because you weren't using a Malossi band.
Those kevlar bands don't last on warm days. Now, if they just exploded into confetti instead of snapping, they might be worth it.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
Those kevlar bands don't last on warm days. Now, if they just exploded into confetti instead of snapping, they might be worth it.
Yeah, aramid fiber is much better.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Yeah, aramid fiber is much better.
Stings the wallet a lot less when you're paying for generics.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I'll confess - the tittle of this topic picked my curiosity. A long time ago.

So I started reading...continued about two pages...and drifted off.
I ain't much of a philosopher and do know this

Then happened to notice the thread again. This time I cheated and jumped right to the last page - where the discussion had somehow happily drifted to Kevlar vs. other materials.

I just love MV, this made my day

Also, I quite like the fact in Celsius scale, that 0 hoovers somewhere around the freezing point. This is of major interest for us living in the upper parts of Northern Hemisphere. It tells how slippery there is outside (studs to shoes or not), how heavy the snow will be to shovel (lighter clothes or not), is it moist or dry (opening or closing various storage ventilations) etc. We live around the freezing point, it is nice to have a specific nod for it in the temperature scale. Makes us feel special Razz emoticon
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Also, I quite like the fact in Celsius scale, that 0 hoovers somewhere around the freezing point. This is of major interest for us living in the upper parts of Northern Hemisphere. It tells how slippery there is outside (studs to shoes or not), how heavy the snow will be to shovel (lighter clothes or not), is it moist or dry (opening or closing various storage ventilations) etc. We live around the freezing point, it is nice to have a specific nod for it in the temperature scale. Makes us feel special Razz emoticon
The flip side of this convenience -- and I concede that it is a minor convenience -- is that the opposite end of the scale is set at a temperate that is inhospitable to human life. In other words, most of the 0-100 degree scale (which somehow makes it metric?) isn't useable for the very thing that most people will need it for.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
I didn't look through all 16 pages, but this was a great video about why gal/100 miles is the metric of choice.

@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
I have just gone down two different rabbit holes trying to compose a response to this thread. Both times I ended up clicking the "Just Walk Away" button.

One of the articles I read about the various benefits/detriments of °F vs °C, and by extension the general superiority of metric vs imperial, was that converting measurements between units within a system is easier in metric than imperial. The author kept using the example of "converting kilometers to meters is much easier than converting miles to inches."

That argument is stupid.

The comparison isn't valid. I can see needing/wanting to convert km to meters. But I can see no purpose to convert miles to inches. Miles to feet, sure. I know it's just as easy to convert km to cm, if one so desired to do so, but I can't think of any practical purpose behind doing so. The same with miles to inches: there's no practical purpose to do it, so why worry about how complicated it would be to do so?

km:miles::meters:feet::cm:inches
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I didn't look through all 16 pages, but this was a great video about why gal/100 miles is the metric of choice.
I see what you did there. ROFL emoticon
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
The comparison isn't valid. I can see needing/wanting to convert km to meters. But I can see no purpose to convert miles to inches. Miles to feet, sure. I know it's just as easy to convert km to cm, if one so desired to do so, but I can't think of any practical purpose behind doing so. The same with miles to inches: there's no practical purpose to do it, so why worry about how complicated it would be to do so?
The conversion between metric units is a genuine benefit, though the examples given aren't maybe the most relevant. I'm still a proponent of metric.

My central premise here, though, is that Celsius is not metric in anything except name. It doesn't have any of the classic benefits of metric units -- there's no need for kilocelsius or millicelsius, for instance. Which leaves it with the dubious claim that an arbitrary (and mostly useless) part of the range being pinned to the freezing and boiling point of water somehow makes it metric.

An argument which I wholly reject.

(And no, I don't think Fahrenheit is better, for all the people who haven't bothered to read this thread).
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The conversion between metric units is a genuine benefit, though the examples given aren't maybe the most relevant. I'm still a proponent of metric.

My central premise here, though, is that Celsius is not metric in anything except name. It doesn't have any of the classic benefits of metric units -- there's no need for kilocelsius or millicelsius, for instance. Which leaves it with the dubious claim that an arbitrary (and mostly useless) part of the range being pinned to the freezing and boiling point of water somehow makes it metric.

An argument which I wholly reject.

(And no, I don't think Fahrenheit is better, for all the people who haven't bothered to read this thread).
I think we can all just take a deep breath, put our differences aside and agree on one point.

-40º.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I think we can all just take a deep breath, put our differences aside and agree on one point.

-40º.
Facepalm emoticon

Whoah boy.... What The? emoticon
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Jess
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
It's not just the US that does the "X football fields in size" comparison.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Good grief! That's like 2.99 mobile homes! I mean, if you are using the 12x60 standard mobile home unit.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT
UTC quote
And if you make it any bigger, it's straight to the penalty box for you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0322s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0082s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]