@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Ahh! Now I see the logic! The classics and mp3's both have ... ...er... ... wheels.

And stuff.

To make the best of it, I'd like to be the first to welcome our new forum partners, Grey Fergie Tractor Talk, the Electric Skateboard User's Group, and last but not least, the Ford Fiesta Polishing Enthusiasts of Little Whimpering West. Welcome all! I for one look forward to many stimulating conversations exploring our common interests.

l

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

k
@dkrz123 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Honda CTX700N

Hooked
@dkrz123 avatar
Honda CTX700N
UTC quote
"I expected more bitching from the MP3 crowd"

"...unsociallized males who take themselves too seriously"

"Hey, at least you vintage guys have someplace else to go."

Wow - nice...
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I hope you'll at least attempt to reach out across the aisle and say hi to your new neighbors.
OK
johndunoon wrote:
I am saddened and very disappointed by this merger.

I don't use this forum for social activities or to interact with others with whom I have no common interest: I use it to further my interests in one thing, my mp3.

That forum (as it was) has been a wonderful aid to many many people, of all different ages, backgrounds and countries. If "we" are not satisfied with the forum, many will drift off to somewhere else that serves their needs.

It is going to be a real time consuming pain to search through all the non-applicable posts now.

I believe this merger is a real backward step that will no longer serve either group well and may well lead to a reduced membership.

I really hope the merger can be 'undone".
I agree with your point Mr Dunoon, you sound like a reasonable guy. Just one who prefers machinery far more sophisticated(consequently much higher entry cost) than I prefer. I thought computers were supposed to sort & present info FOR us consumers, I guess this manual override means we sift stuff ourselves, the old fashioned way. Gonna be HARDER on you there, Mr Hi Tech Guy!

It's gonna seem to you like pissing in the soup and all this silly chatter about autolube & Cosa clutches etc is just gonna be pee to you.
@bemocked avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200

Hooked
@bemocked avatar
PX200
UTC quote
This makes me very sad as well.

If this is "real" why would the forum want to drive away this great vintage & manual transmission knowledge base?

(is it April 1st on the Julian or the Lunar calendar? This has to be a joke?)
@dj69 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1961 Vespa 400, 1964 Heinkel 150, 1968 SS180, 1969 Sprint, 1974 50S, 1977 Rally 200, 1991 PX200E W/Sidecar, 1999 ET4

Hooked
@dj69 avatar
1961 Vespa 400, 1964 Heinkel 150, 1968 SS180, 1969 Sprint, 1974 50S, 1977 Rally 200, 1991 PX200E W/Sidecar, 1999 ET4
UTC quote
While understandig the moderating issues, the correct way to ceate interaction was to seperate the general talks from the technical ones.
Most moderating need to be doen knthe general talks in any case.
And seperating the NSM, the MV And the ultra modern MP3 technical talks will benefit every one.

All in all, welcome every one to the new pool.
@olestra avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio mp3 500ie "Ephie"

Hooked
@olestra avatar
2009 Piaggio mp3 500ie "Ephie"
UTC quote
my 2 cents on the merger...
could the mods blanket add a [mp3], [NSM] to the subject of the old merged posts.

I sure all of us are smart enough to add those tags to the subjects ourselves going forward.

viola, mod's goal of integration achieved and easy of finding posts related to our respective rides.

thoughts?
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I've long held the viewpoint that less is more and simpler is better.
You should consider getting an older Vespa.
jess wrote:
I don't think anything I do or say will alter this. No amount of encouragement will result in a change in behavior, given the current forum layout. It is, for all intents and purposes, a kabuki dance.

What?

I don't understand this. I was under the impression that things had improved markedly in the area of bad behavior. And there has been more self policing as well. Has there been a problem recently that I missed, other than my occasional long winded overposting??? If that's it, I'd even be willing to leave if you put things back the way they were.

Or maybe go ALL the way!!! Add powered unicycles too, so there's at least some semblance of a theme, even if it's just for the novelty. Might drive traffic and ad revenues or something to help ease any current problems behind the scenes we've been unaware of. Who really needs a serious 2t shifty or MP3 forum anyway?
UTC

Hooked
59 vba

Hooked
59 vba
UTC quote
titles
So... will all posts start with either NNSMR or N-MP3-R ?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
This is f-n it putnam

delete my account please
@billy_anthony avatar
UTC

Hooked
1962 VESPA SPORTIQUE, 1980 VESPA 100 SMALL FRAME, 2000 VESPA PX 125, 1996 VESPA ET4

Hooked
@billy_anthony avatar
1962 VESPA SPORTIQUE, 1980 VESPA 100 SMALL FRAME, 2000 VESPA PX 125, 1996 VESPA ET4
UTC quote
The old saying applies here "dont fix what aint broken".
@farace avatar
UTC

Hooked
1965 Vespa 150 VBB

Hooked
@farace avatar
1965 Vespa 150 VBB
UTC quote
Wow. I agree with HoneyBadger's post. I like to focus on the relevant posts, and not have to sift through stuff that that isn't relevant or of interest to me. I don't want to spend more time here; it's not the important part of my day. The reason I don't go into the General Discussion section is because it seems to be primarily NSR posts (like I care--I get enough of that to delete on Facebook) and posts about things that are called Vespa and are shaped like a Vespa and even made by Piaggio, but have little to nothing in common with my older Vespa that I need information about. I respect the MP3 owners, but it does nothing to further my enjoyment and knowledge of my Vespa to have to sift through post related to MP3s. I'm sure MP3 owners aren't helped by having to sift through posts about converting 6-volt systems to 12 volts, whether a Pinasco kit is better than a Malossi for bumping the cc's on a 150, or whether or not to keep 8" wheels.

And really, isn't the purpose of the board to help Vespa owners? This isn't Breakfast Club, where we're trying to get the jocks and the nerds to understand each other and hang out. You're not a chaperone at a school dance where you're trying to get the wallflowers on each side of the cafeteria onto the dance floor together. I don't come here primarily for social interaction; there are better places for that (like, there's real life!). I come here for relevant information. To that end, it's now harder to find. You're not helping Vespa owners by merging unrelated forums. You're hindering them. It's understandable that some here might think you're doing it on purpose, to drive people away. And it will work, if that's the true purpose. Which is a shame, because you have a good thing here, and I'd hope you're not intentionally sabotaging it.
@billy_anthony avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@billy_anthony avatar
UTC quote
You should listen to the people who use the forum, i dont post that much but i am on here a few times a day reading through the NSM section now it just looks jumbled.
@kgatesman avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 p200e, 2005 Stella w/ Sidecar, 2006 Triumph Scrambler

Hooked
@kgatesman avatar
1980 p200e, 2005 Stella w/ Sidecar, 2006 Triumph Scrambler
UTC quote
I don't like the change, I don't even consider the mp3 a scooter. But in the end I will keep pressing the new posts button and it won't make a bit of difference to me. Cheers to all! Maybe I will make some new friends.
@tezza2 avatar
UTC

MP3 300

@tezza2 avatar
MP3 300
UTC quote
Sad Bad Sad Mad
What a disappointing surprise to log into my favorite site and find....
old things that need fixing up when all I wanted to read about was MP3 issues.
Not a good move, if I wanted to see old things I would just look in the mirror.
Crying or Very sad emoticon
@arpark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
@arpark avatar
Stella
UTC quote
Jess,

We hear your reasons, but it seems that in an effort to simplify for yourself and moderators, you actually in fact have made it more complicated for the users.

I don't disagree with your decisions, it's not my place. But it seems you don't even care to hear the majority voices of the people who are on the forum.

Now, not only is more difficult to sort though irrelevant posts, both parties feel like they don't belong. If your point was to simplify, you will be doing so by losing members. If that was your intentions, so be it.

I first came to Not-So-Modern for technical help, not social activity. I occasionally hop over the the MV side for a beer exchange or social interaction.

Maybe a suggestion is add a filter that is not search related? So those who want NSM or MP3 strictly speaking can get that.
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax
UTC quote
Jess said
"So rather than try to force you all to interact with the mainstream MV crowd, I'm instead going to merge the NSM and MP3 sections. This seems weird at first, I know. But bear with me. The two groups are actually more similar than you might imagine. For instance, both groups are largely made up of unsocialized males who take themselves just a bit too seriously. One group is a little bit older and the other group is a little bit more cynical, of course. Still, I think there are many commonalities between the two groups that will resonate within an integrated NSMP3 area, and there are many opportunities for cross-polinization of knowledge and synergy of ideas."

I suppose if you own it you have the right to change it. But, being the owner doesn't give the right to be offensive and insulting. Perhaps this is more about the exercise of power????
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Fine with me! It's not my forum to run or set up how it is organized...and I don't want it to be!

If I'm not interested in an MP3 thread I don't have to read it. There may be a few I actually find some interest in.

Can we still be a well lighted....what ever the rest of that was?
UTC

Hooked
P200E

Hooked
P200E
UTC quote
Hmmm. I wonder what a bodged MP3 looks like? Yellow tires and 4-tone paint jobs? I guess we'll all find out shortly . . .
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Bad move
@sammym avatar
UTC

Addicted
1965 Sprint 166, 2008 LXS150

Addicted
@sammym avatar
1965 Sprint 166, 2008 LXS150
UTC quote
Jess,
I'm not sure if you are even soliciting opinions about this change or not but in case you are here's mine. It's shocking... a real head scratcher and I can't see it achieving the goal you stated. I'm grateful for the forum and the work you and the mods do. I'm also totally a socialized, civilized, a family man, with a thriving career and owner id vintage and modern vespas. I also look at and am entertained by the GD but primarily seek info on vintage. The technical discussion on modern Vespas, MP3s, and Vintage are as different as can be. One kind of information seeker won't be interested in the other kind of information no matter where it is located.

If MV was a book store, It's like you moved all the books on plumbing into the gardening section. They are both home improvement.
Same books but all mixed up and you are hoping that by doing this the plumbers and gardeners will get to know each other and discuss oatmeal cookies (which I thought was a funny post btw)
To continue that Analogy maybe because the book store made this organizational change certain really good authors stop distributing their books to that store and certain very good customers stop shopping there thus making the book store not as good.

The change is not the end of the world or even a life altering event but in no way is it an improvement of this forum.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
I have tried.

I have made what I considered reasoned arguments against this change to prevent its implementation.... And in trying to rise above, I even logged on this morning with an open mind.

Yet, as I had suspected, and as has been noted by users, the merge is just fucking horrible. I know Jess and the other mods know my perspective on this change, but it is important to express my dissatisfaction publicly at this point.

Accordingly, I turn in my moderation keys.
Seriously, I will not, can not, participate in this further as a moderator.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
UTC quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
Hi Jess,

We haven't met yet, and I'm not the most vocal or most tenured member, but I will chime in on the merger of the two sections. I can appreciate the makeover and how you explained your intent. That's cool. I am skeptical of the outcome. I have spent a number of years in the car show petri dish. The Camaro guys and the Mustang guys share similar traits, yet a Camaro guy doesn't carry the interest in Mustangs and vice versa. Should they have a unified forum, the chance of creating a homogeneous car enthusiast group who appreciates the others is slim... because the Camaro guy likes Camaro information and the Mustang guy likes Mustang information.

I've found the MP3 group to be very social. They may resist playing in the General Discussion section because the MP3 section suits their interests and needs. Perhaps the NSM groupies are the same.

Considering that MV is the best group for almost every facet of information available for our hobby/passion/pastime, I'm sure most all will accept the merger, albeit fixing a problem they didn't know they had. It kinda makes me feel like my wife rearranged our closet, and I'm going to have to sort through her dresses to find where I hung my boxer shorts.

Thanks for seeing my take on it. I know it's your call on how it all works, and your choice wasn't done on a whim, so we'll have to see how it all comes out. I'll give it every effort, even though I have virtually zero interest in vintage scooterology.

Here's to the constancy of change.
Steve aka. Honeybadger
Perfectly stated. Hats off to HoneyBadger.
My 2 cents - it's a terrible idea.
My half-cent - Jess you really are being abrasive - perhaps defensive?
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
"Bad Kids" Academy
I think it is fine. I didn't post much in NSM but I did occasionally go there to read some of the project threads and have learned quite a lot about vintage scooters and what it takes to own one. In fact, NSM may be the biggest reason I don't have one. Also, like to decipher bitsa's posts.

Should be fun.
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport
UTC quote
SammyM wrote:
The change is not the end of the world or even a life altering event but in no way is it an improvement of this forum.
This.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
jess wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
Same number of posts, ~same amount of work.
Not really. We've found over the years that the more divided a forum is, the harder it is to keep an eye on it. The moderators actually resisted my last proposal to add a "Technical" section along side the "General Discussion" area, because of the added labor of moderating another forum area. In retrospect, I agree with them.

(Contrary to popular belief, I do not usually rule by fiat when it comes to forum policy and design decisions).
V oodoo wrote:
Fewer posts, less work. The unintentionally revealing part is you seem to EXPECT a large exodus and don't care.
It's a balancing act. The original target audience for NSM was largely modern Vespa owners who also owned vintage bikes. I expect most of those people will remain at MV.
Fiat being an arbitrary decision. Me and me alone! You get your blows later!!
@sgn_scott avatar
UTC

Hooked
Sprint 166, P150S

Hooked
@sgn_scott avatar
Sprint 166, P150S
UTC quote
Not So MP3? Why not just name it "The twats we don't really like"?

I feel a bit dirty. Like I'm involved in some weird social experiment. I think the strategy is Goldingesque. Jess throws together us guys on a Desert Island and then wants to watch as we slowly kill each other. Well I ain't PIGGY!

Anyway. Whatever.

Some dude said throw in a NSM tag at the start or MP3 in the subject line. That should sort it.
@music avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
many

Molto Verboso
@music avatar
many
UTC quote
Quote:
So rather than try to force you all to interact with the mainstream MV crowd, I'm instead going to merge the NSM and MP3 sections. This seems weird at first, I know. But bear with me. The two groups are actually more similar than you might imagine. For instance, both groups are largely made up of unsocialized males who take themselves just a bit too seriously. One group is a little bit older and the other group is a little bit more cynical, of course. Still, I think there are many commonalities between the two groups that will resonate within an integrated NSMP3 area, and there are many opportunities for cross-polinization of knowledge and synergy of ideas."
Sometimes I type stuff that I later regret. I'm hoping that this is one of those
times for the moderator. If not, than it may be time to move on from this
site. I never thought the majority of posters here in the NSM
section were too rude or overly sarcastic. Obviously there are some,
but blanket statements are really uncalled for. We all know the answer,
if we don't like what we see here, no one is forcing us to hang here.

I have nothing against the MP3's, but based on the quote above
this seems like a punitive action.

Rob
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

I have made what I considered reasoned arguments against this change to prevent its implementation.... And in trying to rise above, I even logged on this morning with an open mind.

Yet, as I had suspected, and as has been noted by users, the merge is just fucking horrible. I know Jess and the other mods know my perspective on this change, but it is important to express my dissatisfaction publicly at this point.

Accordingly, I turn in my moderation keys.
Seriously, I will not, can not, participate in this further as a moderator.
You feel that you HAVE to express this publicly, and OF COURSE that is your right. But I have to say I seriously disagree with you, and I'm going to take that public too. In the past, the mod staff have always been a unit and managed to keep our views off the board. MV has been better for it.

I find really, really sad that you've seen fit to just have a hissy at the rest of the mods here and not even give us the courtesy of mentioning it first.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I own a modern and two vintage Vespas. I visit both GD and NSM every day, MP3, not so much because I don't have one. If I did I would go there too. I also see no benifit to this. It will make things harder for everyone. I'm not going to pick up my ball and go home but I will probably visit Not So MP3 less that I went to NSM. It's like when your friend marries someone who only speaks a foreign language.
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
I truly do not see the point of this. The reason for having a separate MP3 section made complete sense to me. It's not that I'm a snob and don't want to socialize with other owners, quite the contrary - I would often pop into the General forum and help others out. But my main reason for coming here was to get help with my MP3 which has very unique technology - something that vintage owners aren't going to be much help with. I do not want to spend my limited time sifting through posts that I have nothing of value to add.

Jess, I am asking you to please reverse this decision or I will be spending very little time on here in the future.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Quote from Olestra
could the mods blanket add a [mp3], [NSM] to the subject of the old merged posts.

Good suggestion Olestra!!

such as:

mp3 I am not interested in nsm.

Add a preface to our subjest line. That way we can still get the info we desire and the answers to the questions we need answered without having to spend time time time time time wading through posts we are not interested in!!
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
I've grown to undertand and tolerate the " unsocialized males who take themselves just a bit too seriously " GROUP. This really is a bit much forcing the unsocialized males to play in the same sandbox as with not so built up thick skin. Should be real interesting, there should be plenty of Red X's appearing.
⚠️ Last edited by Lynnb on UTC; edited 1 time
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
What happened to all the posts?
There were tons of posts from the former MP3 forum that are not here now. Please tell me they have not been deleted! There was a virtual goldmine of information in there.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
[quote="arpark"]Jess,

We hear your reasons, but it seems that in an effort to simplify for yourself and moderators, you actually in fact have made it more complicated for the users.

I don't disagree with your decisions, it's not my place. But it seems you don't even care to hear the majority voices of the people who are on the forum.

Now, not only is more difficult to sort though irrelevant posts, both parties feel like they don't belong. If your point was to simplify, you will be doing so by losing members. If that was your intentions, so be it.

I first came to Not-So-Modern for technical help, not social activity. end quote

The law of untended results.. Seems this is true here.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
FentonFred wrote:
Jess, I am asking you to please reverse this decision or I will be spending very little time on here in the future.
Threatening to stomp off and not come by anymore (to this provided-for-free forum) is quite likely a scenario taken into consideration/risk before making this change. But more importantly not a constructive way to try to appeal a decision.

Im just saying, and it doesn't effect me either way but ulimatums are traditionally counter-productive.
UTC

Hooked
GP200, GT200, P200E

Hooked
GP200, GT200, P200E
UTC quote
2x post
⚠️ Last edited by 2-Smoke on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Hooked
GP200, GT200, P200E

Hooked
GP200, GT200, P200E
UTC quote

8/10
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
This move only clutters up things IMO.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
You should consider getting an older Vespa.
SS180 basket case, now reassembled and running. Also, a 1957 Gilera 150, Giro eligible.
V oodoo wrote:
jess wrote:
I don't think anything I do or say will alter this. No amount of encouragement will result in a change in behavior, given the current forum layout. It is, for all intents and purposes, a kabuki dance.
What?

I don't understand this. I was under the impression that things had improved markedly in the area of bad behavior.
The statement didn't refer to bad behavior, but rather the reluctance of those in the NSM and MP3 areas to interact with the rest of the Modern Vespa audience.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The statement didn't refer to bad behavior, but rather the reluctance of those in the NSM and MP3 areas to interact with the rest of the Modern Vespa audience.
then why have them broke out from the general area at all?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0217s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0026s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]