UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Mr. Moderator define " unsocialized males" please!!
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
Just read this thread.
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:
Jess, I am asking you to please reverse this decision or I will be spending very little time on here in the future.
Threatening to stomp off and not come by anymore (to this provided-for-free forum) is quite likely a scenario taken into consideration/risk before making this change. But more importantly not a constructive way to try to appeal a decision.

Im just saying, and it doesn't effect me either way but ulimatums are traditionally counter-productive.
It's not an ultimatum at all. I have had this scenario play out at many stores, when they stop carrying my favorite products then I have much less of a reason to visit the establishment in the future.

And I did not threaten to "stomp off and not come by anymore", I simply said that I would be spending little time on here in the future.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
It's a bit goofy, but I can deal with it. If MP3'er no like, they are free to make their own forum.

And I would probably join that too.

UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Now that it's three pages I can add to this.

I like this so much that I added a mp3 to my collection today.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The statement didn't refer to bad behavior, but rather the reluctance of those in the NSM and MP3 areas to interact with the rest of the Modern Vespa audience.
What does that matter? Half of it is NSR.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

I have made what I considered reasoned arguments against this change to prevent its implementation.... And in trying to rise above, I even logged on this morning with an open mind.

Yet, as I had suspected, and as has been noted by users, the merge is just fucking horrible. I know Jess and the other mods know my perspective on this change, but it is important to express my dissatisfaction publicly at this point.

Accordingly, I turn in my moderation keys.
Seriously, I will not, can not, participate in this further as a moderator.
You feel that you HAVE to express this publicly, and OF COURSE that is your right. But I have to say I seriously disagree with you, and I'm going to take that public too. In the past, the mod staff have always been a unit and managed to keep our views off the board. MV has been better for it.

I find really, really sad that you've seen fit to just have a hissy at the rest the courtesy of mentioning it first of the mods here and not even give us.
I think I have been calm, decent, and even long winded in expressing my opinion privately. It has fallen on deaf ears again and again. A "hissy"? No, just a small public repudiation. This is a situation where a minority (two minorities actually) are being disenfranchised from the whole because they play with different toys, have a different patois, and a different outlook than the majority. Lame. MV is (err... WAS) better than that.

The only act of protest left for me was the removal of my name from the the moderators roll. (You know very well I have not come to this decision lightly, and that it was alluded to on multiple occasions....)
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
FentonFred wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:
Jess, I am asking you to please reverse this decision or I will be spending very little time on here in the future.
Threatening to stomp off and not come by anymore (to this provided-for-free forum) is quite likely a scenario taken into consideration/risk before making this change. But more importantly not a constructive way to try to appeal a decision.

Im just saying, and it doesn't effect me either way but ulimatums are traditionally counter-productive.
It's not an ultimatum at all. I have had this scenario play out at many stores, when they stop carrying my favorite products then I have much less of a reason to visit the establishment in the future.

And I did not threaten to "stomp off and not come by anymore", I simply said that I would be spending little time on here in the future.
Nobody said MV would stop carrying your favorite products....it has simply been moved to another aisle.

In a far corner of the store.

Near the condoms and hemorrhoid treatments.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
hey I resemble that, just ask my wife.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
joshzingzing wrote:
fecking ranga,

exhibit D
I didn't know that "ranga" is another derogatory word for "redhead." Is this just an Kangaroo Down Under use?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
I see the problem.

if we go back to Dec 21, 2012 this is the results.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
mjm50cal wrote:
jess wrote:
The statement didn't refer to bad behavior, but rather the reluctance of those in the NSM and MP3 areas to interact with the rest of the Modern Vespa audience.
This is a good example of what I said about taking yourselves too seriously. You can only talk about scooters for so long before the topic is completely exhausted. Even the patrons of the old ScooterBBS knew this -- they spent the last five years of ScooterBBS's existence actively not talking about scooters!

Lighten up. Have a glass of wine. Enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow enthusiast, regardless of what they're being enthusiastic about.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
We have been provided a free forum to seek out info and to ask questions and we are now acting like welfare recipients who have been on the take for along time,,,, My welfare is now an entitlement!!
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:

Nobody said MV would stop carrying your favorite products....it has simply been moved to another aisle.

Ok, I got it now. My products are still there, just randomly mixed in with other unrelated products. So now I just have to spend extra time scanning the shelves to find it. Makes complete sense...not.
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
I guess I'll throw in my opinion as well...

I can understand wanting to consolidate from an admin standpoint. Believe me, as an IT guy with a myriad of different garbage to try to maintain, I can sympathize.

As a user, though, it's a bit frustrating. My time is very limited, so I like to be able to find what I'm looking for quickly and move on to the next thing on my to-do list. I do occasionally make it over to General, but most of my time on MV is spent looking at the section that (was) specifically relates to my bike.

I have nothing against vintage scooters. I'd love to have one, but I don't feel like I have the time or patience or technical skills to own one, let alone the spare cash.

So will grouping those threads enrich my experience with my MP3 or on MV? Probably not.

Unlike some, though, I'm willing to wait and see. I'm sure Jess thought about this long and hard before making the change, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. My knee-jerk reaction is that it's not good, but only time will tell...

Mark
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
SGN Scott wrote:
Not So MP3? Why not just name it "The twats we don't really like"?
Or rather, people who don't ride hipster-enough scooters for the rest of us...

I understand wanting people to get more involved and social, but in this case I think it's a really bad move. NSM and MP3 were mainly technical in nature - and you took about the two most disparate types of scoots and jammed them together. Serious mismash that is probably going to see a slow attrition and death of membership from these groups.

But that's probably OK because we're not the cool hipsters with the modern Vespas...
@farace avatar
UTC

Hooked
1965 Vespa 150 VBB

Hooked
@farace avatar
1965 Vespa 150 VBB
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Who cares? I have Facebook to fill my world up with irrelevance (and I'm trying to reduce it there). I don't come here for social interaction, I come here for useful information, pertinent to my Vespa. If you want to have a forum for social interaction, why even limit it to Vespas at all? Just have Modern Generalities, or better yet, Modern NSR, and encourage people to mingle that have nothing in common to talk about.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
FentonFred wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
FentonFred wrote:

Ok, I got it now. My products are still there, just randomly mixed in with other unrelated products. So now I just have to spend extra time scanning the shelves to find it.
Exactamundo
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Scammed.
⚠️ Last edited by early rejecter on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Re: What happened to all the posts?
FentonFred wrote:
There were tons of posts from the former MP3 forum that are not here now. Please tell me they have not been deleted! There was a virtual goldmine of information in there.
Me too!!! How do we find them!!
@shanghai_dan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine

Addicted
@shanghai_dan avatar
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
UTC quote
jess wrote:
mjm50cal wrote:
jess wrote:
This is a good example of what I said about taking yourselves too seriously. You can only talk about scooters for so long before the topic is completely exhausted. Even the patrons of the old ScooterBBS knew this -- they spent the last five years of ScooterBBS's existence actively not talking about scooters!

Lighten up. Have a glass of wine. Enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow enthusiast, regardless of what they're being enthusiastic about.
You know, a better way to do that is to move NSR threads to the general area - where everyone can participate. I viewed the MP3 and seldom-browsed NSM subforums as mainly technical repositories to these pretty specific categories of scooters.

Maybe just having NSRs moved to general would encourage the social mixing you seek - and keep the body of technical information properly separated?
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

I have made what I considered reasoned arguments against this change to prevent its implementation.... And in trying to rise above, I even logged on this morning with an open mind.

Yet, as I had suspected, and as has been noted by users, the merge is just fucking horrible. I know Jess and the other mods know my perspective on this change, but it is important to express my dissatisfaction publicly at this point.

You feel that you HAVE to express this publicly, and OF COURSE that is your right. But I have to say I seriously disagree with you, and I'm going to take that public too. In the past, the mod staff have always been a unit and managed to keep our views off the board. MV has been better for it.

I find really, really sad that you've seen fit to just have a hissy at the rest the courtesy of mentioning it first of the mods here and not even give us.
I think I have been calm, decent, and even long winded in expressing my opinion privately. It has fallen on deaf ears again and again. A "hissy"? No, just a small public repudiation. This is a situation where a minority (two minorities actually) are being disenfranchised from the whole because they play with different toys, have a different patois, and a different outlook than the majority. Lame. MV is (err... WAS) better than that.

The only act of protest left for me was the removal of my name from the the moderators roll. (You know very well I have not come to this decision lightly, and that it was alluded to on multiple occasions....)
Okay, you and I BOTH know that your post isn't the full picture, and neither is mine. In terms of the changes on MV and this forum, there's misrepresentation.

BUT YOU shouldn't take it public. It's like farting in a closed space and telling me that you've helped resolve global warming. It doesn't help.

How can we get through these changes if you bail out? BIRDSNEST, we need you back. We all roll on wheels, not bloody triangles.
⚠️ Last edited by MV-Bot on UTC; edited 1 time
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
is Jimmy Fallon running MV?
@shopkin avatar
UTC

Hooked
81 P200E

Hooked
@shopkin avatar
81 P200E
UTC quote
doh.....
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I'm also kind of shocked that TravisNJ has been the most civil commenter on this thread.
I hope I am finally having a positive influence on him. =)

It is what it is, it is a free service, and if you don't like the service... you got what you paid for, ya?

I hope we don't lose too many NSMers and can't get technical solutions to our shifty problems...

Would suck to have to wade through the ScooterRally trash.
@arpark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
@arpark avatar
Stella
UTC quote
early rejecter wrote:
arpark wrote:
We hear your reasons, but it seems that in an effort to simplify for yourself and moderators, you actually in fact have made it more complicated for the users.
I think (though could be wrong) that this and a lot of the other responses are missing the point. If I'm reading Jess' post correctly, the "effort to simplify" is secondary to the larger goal of creating a singular community. The easier moderation would be an added benefit, but is not the impulse, of the change.
arpark wrote:
both parties feel like they don't belong.
Well, yeah. He's saying that if you don't want to become part of the larger community, you don't, in fact, belong, and that's a legitimate way to run a forum. For myself, I don't want to become part of the larger community. I already belong to communities of wonderful friends, neighbors, and coworkers with no interest in scooters whatsoever who I interact with "in real life"; I don't have the desire (or time) to join another general-interest community. The time I have to spend online I prefer to dedicate to more specialized communities. That's not better or worse than what Jess is trying to create, just different.

There ARE other vintage-specific forums out there; if this change drives vintage-related traffic to those sites it'll be a positive in my eyes.
No, I see that it's primarily community. There is a much different community over with the vintage crowd. It's mostly technical and has some banter peppered in. You actually, when reading the threads find a congruent community, but focused on vintage vespas.

You can't force people to play nice with each other. I'll do my part. It's not that "huge" of a change. But overall, it will take away from the quality of both forums affected.

The unintended consequences will be there, but will it be worth it?
@farace avatar
UTC

Hooked
1965 Vespa 150 VBB

Hooked
@farace avatar
1965 Vespa 150 VBB
UTC quote
. . . and to make things worse, the "Mark All Read" button no longer has any effect. Not at the top level, but within the specific forum.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

It's like farting in a closed space and telling me that you've helped resolve global warming.

I used to use that one on my kids....after they figured out the "pull my finger" trick. They caught on eventually.

Sorry, couldnt resist an opening for fart related stories
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
farace wrote:
. . . and to make things worse, the "Mark All Read" button no longer has any effect. Not at the top level, but within the specific forum.
A bit of a glitch there, sorry about that. I'm working on it.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
A little XKCD to lighten the mood:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Text: There are probably children out there holding down spacebar to stay warm in the winter! YOUR UPDATE MURDERS CHILDREN.
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
UTC quote
To mjm (different thread) and Phillip and no doubt hundreds of people with the same question: the MP3 (and no doubt NSM) threads still exist, but (at least on my browser) they don't appear here...untill somebody posts a new posts to that thread. Then the entire thread appears here.

The problem, of course, is that many many many threads are going to get forgotten because you'd have to know to go search for it and then add a post. Hopefully Jess is planning on some sort of data migration.

Meanwhile, I for one will be revising the title of my initial posts to start with "MP3" as they pop up here (I'll be damned if I'm going to go back and change them all preemptively) so that people can at least know what they apply to when scanning titles.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

Okay, you and I BOTH know that your post isn't the full picture, and neither is mine. In terms of the changes on MV and this forum, there's misrepresentation.

BUT YOU shouldn't take it public. It's like farting in a closed space and telling me that you've helped resolve global warming. It doesn't help.

How can we get through these changes if you bail out? BIRDSNEST, we need you back. We all roll on wheels, not bloody triangles.
Now you fucking mock me? Nice. I know my contribution as a mod is limited by the fact that I don't oft venture over to the "main forum", but your sarcasm is pretty harsh.

Your fart analogy is pretty good though... just slightly misplaced. Combining NSM and the MP3 forums is like a fart in an elevator, two things that shouldn't ever go together.
OP
@mv-bot avatar
UTC

Zombie Process
More Human Than Human

Zombie Process
@mv-bot avatar
More Human Than Human
UTC quote
rjeffb wrote:
To mjm (different thread) and Phillip and no doubt hundreds of people with the same question: the MP3 (and no doubt NSM) threads still exist, but (at least on my browser) they don't appear here...untill somebody posts a new posts to that thread. Then the entire thread appears here.

The problem, of course, is that many many many threads are going to get forgotten because you'd have to know to go search for it and then add a post. Hopefully Jess is planning on some sort of data migration.
This is factually incorrect. The MP3 posts are, on the whole, older than the NSM posts, and so the MP3 posts are farther down the list (everything is sorted by last post). Right now, in the middle of the list of NSMP3 topics, there's a topic called "Possible Lane Splitting Legislation in CA". It was last posted to 9 hours ago, by me. It was formerly in the MP3 section, and now it's here in the NSMP3 section.

EDIT: I didn't notice the missing pagination buttons. My fault. I'll try to fix that ASAP.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by MV-Bot on UTC; edited 3 times
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Scammed.
⚠️ Last edited by early rejecter on UTC; edited 1 time
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

Now you fucking mock me? Nice. I know my contribution as a mod is limited by the fact that I don't oft venture over to the "main forum", but your sarcasm is pretty harsh.

Your fart analogy is pretty good though... just slightly misplaced. Combining NSM and the MP3 forums is like a fart in an elevator, two things that shouldn't ever go together.
We need moderators for the moderators.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

Sticky, you would make a good moderator.
@scootnsail avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
74 Rally 200

Enthusiast
@scootnsail avatar
74 Rally 200
UTC quote
Merger
I agree that the merger might seem like a good idea, creating synergy,etc. but I must say that I am doubtful...is there a chance that this can be an experiment to achieve Jess's stated goals, and if it doesn't work, we could possibly go back to two separate forums?
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
mjm50cal wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
Birdsnest wrote:
I have tried.

Sticky, you would make a good moderator.
Maybe if I could only stop drunk posting on the weekends.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Yes it does make it harder to find topics that concern my ride. As for MP3'ers not interacting with GD, look at me, OAD, Larry and others. We are there often posting useful information. The vintage are a select bunch of purists some of whom view MP3s with contempt. Not the best of forced marriages.

I would prefer to be grouped with modern we share many of the same parts and problems. I believe vintage would best be served with their separate section with moderators who specialize in pre-modern scoots.

So Jess how full is your PM box?
⚠️ Last edited by 14perry on UTC; edited 2 times
@arpark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
@arpark avatar
Stella
UTC quote
early rejecter wrote:
arpark wrote:
You can't force people to play nice with each other.
True -- but you can encourage groups to interact with each other, and encourage those who don't want to interact to go elsewhere.
arpark wrote:
There is a much different community over with the vintage crowd.
Exactly. And what Jess is saying (again, I think) is that he doesn't want to cater to different communities.
You're still missing my point. Let me clarify. I have nothing against what's being done.

It's a choice that will be made, and to him, the consequences of changing outweighed the consequences of merging. Fine with me.

But what bothers me is the forcefulness of it. In a capitalist society, the product is caters to the consumer. The NSM crowd defined the NSM forum. It attracted people who were there for vintage, clean, and technical discussions. That might be lost some. Maybe not.

There is some irony with Jess being the "petty tyrant." Not such a capitalist title, and this merge shows it. But I guess he's no longer the "tyrant."
⚠️ Last edited by arpark on UTC; edited 2 times
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0311s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]