UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Folks,

Please help me out. I contacted a few people on scoot.net that were selling their BBQ rear racks, I have a 79 P200E and I have been dying to get a BBQ rack with the tall rear lumbar vertical support and its little black vinyl padding.
Unfortunately I missed the sales by as little as less than 2 hours.

So far no luck, I even created a WANTED topic on the classified but no luck. Do you guys know where to get one new. I am located in the US.

If you have one that needs welding or re-upholstery I am willing to buy it even like that. I am NOT looking for a cupini "3 in 1" rack/grill/spare tire carrier either. Can you help? Thanks! Below is a picture of what i am looking for:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
There were a couple different variations made. The one pictured(three rungs), one that had two rungs in the middle, and one that had bowed out struts for a spare underneath.

I had that exact same rack with three rung, on my first P in 80'.
I think its the cleanest looking one.

I had one a few years ago, complete hardware but no back rest, and it sold for 100 dollars.

If you find one, be prepared to dig deep.
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ I am willing to pay a decent/fair price. I like the one from the picture that I posted, that is exactly what i am looking for. My P200E is a silver with black cowls (Tuxedo).

I currently have a rack in the back of my PX 150 but it doesn't look cool.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
rack in the back of my PX 150 but it doesn't look cool.
Rack and cool are a hard find. More like rack and practical. I have a rack on my bike and as much as I want to think it looks cool.....its still a rack fuckin with the sweet lines of my bike.

The bbq rack is a fucking bullet proof rack. I would take passengers on mine for rides around ski beack or Balboa Park in SD. Three up no prob. haha
@mighty_triceratops avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200

Addicted
@mighty_triceratops avatar
'79 P200
UTC quote
They are out there, keep checking Scoot.net. They were a common option in the day. Unfortunately no one is doing repops that I know of. You could try and contact people who are selling bikes with them and see if they would be willing to sell you just the rack.
@spielawieler avatar
UTC

Hooked
P200,Rally180, 100 sport , SuperCub50

Hooked
@spielawieler avatar
P200,Rally180, 100 sport , SuperCub50
UTC quote
Best Rack ever! I have had 3 P200's and, although it looks a bit ugly, it's great for a passenger and a full size cooler.

100-125$ is not too much in my opinion.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
UTC quote
I have that exact rack on my hack but I'm in no mood to sell. If I ever do sell the rig I would separate but that won't be for at least a year. BTW does anyone know how to keep the backrest from sliding foreward and back. Am I missing some clamps or something?
UTC

Enthusiast
78 P200e

Enthusiast
78 P200e
UTC quote
I have this rack ...no back rest, but it looks good. Also I have discarded the front wraparound bar portion

http://www.scooterworks.com/rear-rack--wrap-around--chrome---p-px--stella-products-8973.php?page_id=165
@rodri9o avatar
UTC

Addicted
PX 200 E 'Iris' edition

Addicted
@rodri9o avatar
PX 200 E 'Iris' edition
UTC quote
uncle mark wrote:
I have this rack ...no back rest, but it looks good. Also I have discarded the front wraparound bar portion

http://www.scooterworks.com/rear-rack--wrap-around--chrome---p-px--stella-products-8973.php?page_id=165
I have the same rack on my PX, in black, and I think it does the best job if one wants a BBQ rack without having an actual BBQ rack: it is sturdy and bolts up really well. The front rung I still have hanging up somewhere in black, but I'll chuck it eventually.

There is no backrest, though, which is fine by me.
UTC

Enthusiast
78 P200e

Enthusiast
78 P200e
UTC quote
I had to use extra washers under the portion that fixes to the body at the fuel tank to allow it to sit high enuf so I could get the cowles on and off.
I also like the passenger hand holds.
I used to have a BBQ rack but it failed and I never liked the backrest idea, if my wife is on the back I would rather have her arms around me.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
I have that exact rack on my hack but I'm in no mood to sell. If I ever do sell the rig I would separate but that won't be for at least a year. BTW does anyone know how to keep the backrest from sliding foreward and back. Am I missing some clamps or something?
Below is the hardware. A 1/4" carriage bolt with one side of the head ground off. A cone shaped piece below wedges against the slider when the wing nut is tightened to prevent sliding. Simple, but works great. Hardware scarcer than hen's teeth. Original type on left. Homemade on right. The conehead was made from a locknut. I have also made a few from a piece of steel tubing the right od and id that I sliced and ground.

The ground off carriage bolt head lets it clear the curve of the tubing beside it and keeps it from turning. Nylon locking type wingnuts keep you from losing those precious coneheads. If the wingnut falls off, so does the conehead. I don't want to talk about it.

Biggest drawback: You have to slide it all the way back or completely off to raise the seat. I am at the stage where I REALLY like the back support for slow cruising.
@kgatesman avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 p200e, 2005 Stella w/ Sidecar, 2006 Triumph Scrambler

Hooked
@kgatesman avatar
1980 p200e, 2005 Stella w/ Sidecar, 2006 Triumph Scrambler
UTC quote
My slider/back rest is stuck, really stuck. Should I hose with PB Blaster or what to get it moving again?
UTC

MV Santa

MV Santa
UTC quote
blackbart wrote:
vintage red matthew wrote:
Below is the hardware. A 1/4" carriage bolt with one side of the head ground off. A cone shaped piece below wedges against the slider when the wing nut is tightened to prevent sliding. Simple, but works great. Hardware scarcer than hen's teeth. Original type on left. Homemade on right. The conehead was made from a locknut. I have also made a few from a piece of steel tubing the right od and id that I sliced and ground.

The ground off carriage bolt head lets it clear the curve of the tubing beside it and keeps it from turning. Nylon locking type wingnuts keep you from losing those precious coneheads. If the wingnut falls off, so does the conehead. I don't want to talk about it.

Biggest drawback: You have to slide it all the way back or completely off to raise the seat. I am at the stage where I REALLY like the back support for slow cruising.
That's good information. I've never heard of a nylon locking wing nut but I have other ideas. You could turn the thing over and hammer on the end of the bolt until the wing nut won't come off or even better jam-lock two nuts on the end of the bolt.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Okay, I'll talk about it.

I have also just buggered the bottom threads with a file to prevent loss. The nylon insert locking wingnuts came from a local farm supply store. The originals I have had nylon inserts. Their main advantage is keeping the slider locked so it doesn't shift if the wingnut begins to unscrew while riding. A lock washer helps.

Kgatesman, I have had to use penetrant, heat from a torch, and beating with a lead hammer to unstick a couple.
@kamaseya avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'58 Vespa 150, '63 Allstate 125/177, 1980 Vespa P200E

Enthusiast
@kamaseya avatar
'58 Vespa 150, '63 Allstate 125/177, 1980 Vespa P200E
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VESPA-BBQ-RACK-With-Original-Vespa-Zippered-Padded-Backrest-fits-P-P200-Etc-/370771854112?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item5653b98320&vxp=mtr
Beat you to it.. up above! Razz emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motorsports had a Vespa Club of America one floating around, on Ebay. Does Max, or anyone else know the link for that?
⬆️    About 4 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I'm looking for one again and found this. Has anyone tried it or know if it's any good?

https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-BBQ-Rear-Rack-w-Backrest-Vespa-P-Series-Stella-P13120.aspx
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
Dang! And to think that QuasiMoto almost had to beg me to take the old rack he had in his garage. I'm glad I got it, thanks, QuasiMoto!
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
I'm looking for one again and found this. Has anyone tried it or know if it's any good?

https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-BBQ-Rear-Rack-w-Backrest-Vespa-P-Series-Stella-P13120.aspx
^^^these are pretty good looking copies^^^. if you really want one get this. Otherwise troll scoot.net and craigslist till you find one for around $150 or so...**
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
modkuo wrote:
nomadinsiam wrote:

^^^these are pretty good looking copies^^^. if you really want one get this. Otherwise troll scoot.net and craigslist till you find one for around $150 or so...**
Usually I deal with ebay. Scoot.net is cool, but I'm overseas so people people get negative on that which is understandable. I like the copy from Scooterworks as well, but nothing beats original. If you have a reliable source, let me know.
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
I have several decent and several very nice ones. I'd part with one, but not for what most are willing to pay. Tons of them out there, but not many complete nice ones. I also have a really nice Rally BBQ rack, complete w/spare tire hardware.
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
UTC quote
Willie B wrote:
I have several decent and several very nice ones. I'd part with one, but not for what most are willing to pay. Tons of them out there, but not many complete nice ones. I also have a really nice Rally BBQ rack, complete w/spare tire hardware.
Yo! I have the standard bbq rack with backrest for my P and I have the rally rack with curved arms for my super.....minus the spare tire hardware. Can you post or PM me a pic of the correct hardware so I can find or try to copy... cheers and merry christmas!
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
WOW!!! This topic has been "resuscitated!" I ended up purchasing two from a local dude.
⬆️    About 6 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

'79 P125X, '78 P200E, '01 ET4, '03 ET2

'79 P125X, '78 P200E, '01 ET4, '03 ET2
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:

Why not continue to recycle and bring this back to life a third time.

I just got a '79 P125X (US spec). I also have a love/hate affair with putting a rack on it.

It's been a few years … are there other options these days?

For those that have used the Scooter Works rack …

Did anyone add some kind for protection under the seat mounting bracket? My paint is pretty good shape and I don't want the mounting plate to damage something.

I don't have much need for the backrest. It looks like it just slides into the outer tubes. Could I pull the backrest out and cap the tubes?

Back to the hate part of a rack. I LOVE the lines of my bike. I have a US model with US DOT tail light. It looks like the rack attaches with two bolts by the seat and clearly the two bolts by the tail light assembly. Would it be difficult to unbolt the rack when I don't need?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0421s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0154s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]