@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I almost posted this in the "What's Pissing You Off" thread. But even unexpected projects cheer me up.
I am continually in awe of folks like you who just roll up their sleeves and dig into projects like this. That is wonderful work.

So, despite the February ride in yesterday, it was an off day. One of those days where all of life's little responsibilities gather together into a dark gloom that follows you everywhere. Because even in my fifties I feel like a 13 year old who has just been fooling everyone for decades. I know, that's everyone. Adulting is hard.

But today is Friday. Yesterday's responsibilities are behind me and it's time to tackle today. I'm trying out a new hand coffee grinder I found at Goodwill and it looks promising, so we're off to a good start. Here's to hoping.

Life really is pretty good.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Oh, and one other thing. I started a little project this past weekend. I decided to restring my bass, and while I had the strings off I decided it would be good to rewire it, so I pulled the pick guard. Underneath I found something amazing.

Back in the '90s I had a band. Probably the least successful band ever, but if you've ever played with a group of guys, it's indescribable. We had junk equipment and about seven original songs. I still have the business card from a local band we were going to contact (I was told they'd let anyone open for them ... we were a shoe-in) for a date. Then I found out I was going to be a Dad, my relationship had fallen apart, Sean (my bass player and cowriter) went back to school and Tommy (our drummer) decided it might be a good idea to walk to Texas. He never made it, but I hear he's doing well now.

Anyway, most of the equipment was mine already because I was the only one with a real job, and I bought Sean's bass because I have issues letting go of the past.

So, all these years later, this was Sean's bass I was restringing. And back to what I found. Under the pick guard I could see the contrast of the original white against the beautiful oxidized finish. It has become a gorgeous warm ivory color. At one point I had considered painting it, but I wouldn't touch it with anything but polish now.

I brought the pick guard into work and our prototype lab set me up to wet sand and polish all of the scratches out. They're going to shoot it with clear coat, so it will look better than new. Hopefully I can get back at it this weekend.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Under the pick guard I could see the contrast of the original white against the beautiful oxidized finish. It has become a gorgeous warm ivory color. At one point I had considered painting it, but I wouldn't touch it with anything but polish now.
Time. What even is it?
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Time. What even is it?
Early 90s Epiphone p-bass. Nothing fancy, and according to Reverb it's worth about $200.

Priceless to me. I could replace it with something better, but why would I? It's not like I'm as bass player or anything.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Time. What even is it?
seamus26 wrote:
Early 90s Epiphone p-bass. Nothing fancy, and according to Reverb it's worth about $200.
Oh, I meant what is time. But speaking as a reformed bass player, the bass is cool too.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Oh, I meant what is time. But speaking as a reformed bass player, the bass is cool too.
I'm old. I process things more slowly than I used to.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I'm old. I process things more slowly than I used to.
Time. Again.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Time. Again.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
I like it!
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
One more thing, and I think I'm out for the weekend. This cheered me up. I'm not always the best at accomplishing things. The other day I decided to.

Back in 2015 I went camping on the P200E and dragged my guitar along with me. Like a dummy I took my Alvarez with me. Beautiful guitar, don't get me wrong, but I didn't even really play it. I was all by myself out in the woods, and it has such a big, booming sound it almost felt like a sacrilege to disrupt the quiet of nature.

Anyway, right before I left I decided it would be a waste not to record something. So, with nothing left to pack but my guitar and my coffee cup, I opened up GarageBand on my iPad and recorded this. Background instruments are all GarageBand.

In the video description I mentioned I named the song #12. It's the campsite number. My connection to it goes back to the '80s. I grew up in the area, and it was always my favorite place.

So, many years later (literally this week) I decided what the heck, I'll upload it to YouTube and share it.

I hope you like it. Oh, and if you are wearing headphones (which you always should) at the end you can hear the birds and bugs.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I hope you like it. Oh, and if you are wearing headphones (which you always should) at the end you can hear the birds and bugs.
What a delightful way for me to finish work for another week listening to that, thanks
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Bummer!

Is that going to get TIG'd?
Yes! TIG will minimize the heat and help preserve the paint. Also TIG is better for thin metals like an oil tank.

I'm going to have a much thicker patch welded over the damage to spread the vibration load and prevent a reoccurrence in 20 years.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Yes! TIG will minimize the heat and help preserve the paint. Also TIG is better for thin metals like an oil tank.

I'm going to have a much thicker patch welded over the damage to spread the vibration load and prevent a reoccurrence in 20 years.
With all the goodies you have in your garage I'm surprised there isn't a tig machine lurking around somewhere. The way you build wheels you've got skills enough to weld it yourself. I'd be lost without my monster Miller tig machine. It sure has made me some money to boot. Carry on.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
seamus26,

Thanks for the great guitar tune. You are the best. Ready, Steady, Go.

I expect there are several on this forum that were in a band. Life kind of intervened and ended it. I was in a garage band in highschool that even joined the union and played at local high school sockhops, college parties and few bigger gigs. College (Life) came along and we were blown to all points of the compass. I think you and JBlacklund are actually good musicians that I know on this forum.

Thanks again for the great tune.

Bob Copeland
Here is my group cicra 1966 "The Bunch" I have posted this before.  I am in the middle - vocal - rhythm guitar.  Tom - drummer back left, and Brian lead guitar  front right were the real musicians.  The rest of us were hacks.
Here is my group cicra 1966 "The Bunch" I have posted this before. I am in the middle - vocal - rhythm guitar. Tom - drummer back left, and Brian lead guitar front right were the real musicians. The rest of us were hacks.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:

Just. Lovely. I had to listen again because I missed the bugs, but there were people nearby talking too loudly, so now I have something to write in the "pissed off" thread. Laughing emoticon
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
I was in a garage band in highschool
God, you guys look like nothing but trouble! Razz emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Time. What even is it?
Well, it goes in a line...
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
With all the goodies you have in your garage I'm surprised there isn't a tig machine lurking around somewhere. The way you build wheels you've got skills enough to weld it yourself. I'd be lost without my monster Miller tig machine. It sure has made me some money to boot. Carry on.
I'd love to have a Miller TIG machine! I had an engine drive Miller Arc machine for years. I'm pretty decent with the stick. I haven't even tried TIG welding at this point.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
I designed these mid point footeg risers for my old Harley chopper. I picked them up from the fabricator today. They turned out perfect! He exactly matched the design templates I gave him. 5/8" stainless round stock. I just need to drill them for my foot pegs. I hate riding with my feet out in front of me. These will get them under me where I can effectively get my weight off the seat over hard bumps. There's no rear suspension on this old Harley, so every little bit helps.

I designed the riser about 4 years ago. It cheers me up to finally see them come to fruition.
Riser with my design templates.
Riser with my design templates.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I'd love to have a Miller TIG machine! I had an engine drive Miller Arc machine for years. I'm pretty decent with the stick. I haven't even tried TIG welding at this point.
I've done some very light TIG work with a small air-cooled unit that I have in my shop. I'm passable when there's no filler involved, but I quickly lose my rhythm when dipping the rod into the puddle.

A small part of a much larger two-part video of a build I did here.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I've done some very light TIG work with a small air-cooled unit that I have in my shop. I'm passable when there's no filler involved, but I quickly lose my rhythm when dipping the rod into the puddle.

Wow! That's impressive. You make it look easy. I might have to start looking for a nice used TIG machine. I love being self sufficient.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Wow! That's impressive. You make it look easy. I might have to start looking for a nice used TIG machine. I love being self sufficient.
It's an ideal weld to do with TIG, which is why it looks easy I was melting the corner of the top of the plate into the joint, so the torch becomes just a glorified heat gun.

If I had to add filler to that it would have been quite a bit messier.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
It's an ideal weld to do with TIG, which is why it looks easy I was melting the corner of the top of the plate into the joint, so the torch becomes just a glorified heat gun.

If I had to add filler to that it would have been quite a bit messier.
My buddy's plate. He turned 75 today. Been welding his whole life and he hates it!🤣 He's an incredible welder though. No relation to Bill Dog, never seen him wearing the shell goggles.
⚠️ Last edited by BajaRob on UTC; edited 1 time
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Won a raffle. Got this. Yummy.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
Won a raffle. Got this. Yummy.
Indeed!
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Also it turns out i'm a bit of a sloot for 1792 full proof.....i now have 6 bottles 5 of them picks lol
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
[/quote]

I just had the chance to view your video. Wanted to check out your tig skills but didn't expect to see your drill press stand build. Great idea encompassing the toolbox. I do so much work with metal and forget about wood. That was genius. Looks really sturdy and I love the finish you put on. Great job!
It helped that the link was highlighted a different color or I might have missed it.
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
The wonderful woman at check-in gave us priority boarding today. Also didnt charge for our friend's overweight bag.

What a nice start to the viaggio.
@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
Amazing community. Jess and company do a good job.

My brother called me today. We talked just like we did 30 years ago. I hung up the phone with a smile on my face.

Sleeping well.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
14 hours of overtime this weekend. Also SIP have the shocks I wanted back in stock finally.
Coincidence?
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Roma.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
The wonderful woman at check-in gave us priority boarding today. Also didnt charge for our friend's overweight bag.

What a nice start to the viaggio.
Good about the bag - but I've never understood priority boarding. I don't want to sit on the plane any longer than I have to, especially with a long flight ahead!
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Good about the bag - but I've never understood priority boarding. I don't want to sit on the plane any longer than I have to, especially with a long flight ahead!
Full flights result in bags being at least nowhere close to your seat--or even worse, gate-checked.

Between medications, expensive camera & lenses, and "spare" clothing to avoid too much of an issue if bags are delayed, gate checking cancels out the whole reason for a carry-on.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
Full flights result in bags being at least nowhere close to your seat--or even worse, gate-checked.

Between medications, expensive camera & lenses, and "spare" clothing to avoid too much of an issue if bags are delayed, gate checking cancels out the whole reason for a carry-on.
Ah, understood. As I never have anything to put in the overhead bins, I didn't think of that.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
This cheered me up this morning. (I missed it when you posted it). Lovely.
seamus26 wrote:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
That right there is an awesome photo.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
OBX Dude wrote:
Amazing community. Jess and company do a good job.

My brother called me today. We talked just like we did 30 years ago. I hung up the phone with a smile on my face.

Sleeping well.
Had a similar experience. My youngest sister basically disappeared for over 12 years. She just didn't talk to the rest of us. Decided to send her a pic by chance her phone number was the same. It's with her and her older sister wearing costumes my mom made them. Always makes me giggle when I see it. After an hour got a text back saying she liked the pic. Still don't know where she's at but at least she responded. Cheered me up considerably!😁
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Made it to the spot. Better photo of the view tomorrow since it's long past dark now but the hotel's garden and a small side canal are part of it. Sooooooo unbelievably lovely to be back. Also Blanton's Gold for those who will ask.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Okay, it's not Rome, but when I was maybe 10 or so I was obsessed with treasure hunting...there'd be these ads for maps of buried treasure that I'd drool over. You could have persuaded me to dig a 10 foot hole if there might be "treasure" in there....

Well, yesterday I pulled clothes out of the dryer and something dropped into the lint trap after I forgot to replace the screen. So I went looking. Seemed like a lot of lint down there, so...pulled the lower panel off and removed the cover and found, well, a bit less lint than expected, BUT, an earbud, the plug end of the cord (likely the kid), and 38 CENTS! I felt like a kid again...at least worth laying on my side on the floor for the project!
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
It cheers me that this thread has finally reached that mythical "100 page" status.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
There's just one more post to go before unknown 'things' happen - so onto the new thread!

Locked.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0995s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0801s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]