@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 58,000km
UTC quote
Is Bruno a beer thief 🍺🐈
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
So, Apple has offered cloud storage for quite a long time. But 5GB isn't what it used to be.

The crux of the problem is I hate change. 5GB was free, and being a grumpy old man "They aren't going to charge me for storage, dag nabbit!" A few years back, before storage was really an issue, I had upgraded to my M1 MacBook Pro and decided I was not going to sync photos to it. There was no need. We had them everywhere else. Besides, I had no internet at work.

Fast forward a couple of years and we've finally maxed out the 5GB. I tried a lot of things to whittle it down, but - let's be real - 5GB isn't much anymore.

I finally decided NOT to be my Dad and pay to upgrade my iCloud storage. 50GB is literally $0.99/month.

The tl;dr is this. I am once again syncing photos to my MB at work because I now have internet here through Xfinity, which gives me full access to my photos library so I can ACTUALLY begin weeding out some of the photos I don't need. It's not as bad as I thought. There are only 4600 odd photos synced. It shouldn't take too long. And my phone is once again syncing with my computer, so I can actually use the photos I shoot.
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
I prefer external hard drives for backup.

That way I'm the only one who has access to it.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
I prefer external hard drives for backup.

That way I'm the only one who has access to it.
See, that was my plan. A few years ago I bought a WD NAS with 4TB storage space. It worked, but our upload speeds at the time made transfers unbearable. Then WD dropped support for the product.

So, yeah. Now I have a 4TB external drive at home.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
So, Apple has offered cloud storage for quite a long time. But 5GB isn't what it used to be.
I've had an iCloud account for, well, actually much longer than it's been called iCloud. All the way back to iTools, I think. Maybe earlier in some neolithic corporate infrastructure (I literally had a VAX account at Apple).

I have repeatedly counseled my friends and family that (a) it sucks that Apple charges for iCloud storage and yet is so completely dependent on it, and (b) just give in and do it. It'll make your life a million times easier if all your devices sync, if your iPhone backs itself up every night without incident, and if you aren't fighting against the storage limit.

I do still back up my Mac on local hard drives, though. And periodically swap them out and put the alternates in a safe deposit box at the bank.

Also, the iCloud family plan will let you spread the love:
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
I think my REAL solution is to configure the Tiger era version of OSX Server I have on that blue and white G3 in the basement so I can take advantage of the four hard drives I have connected to it. What could possibly go wrong?

BRB ...
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I think my REAL solution is to configure the Tiger era version of OSX Server I have on that blue and white G3 in the basement so I can take advantage of the four hard drives I have connected to it. What could possibly go wrong?
Aside from wasting what little life of ours remains for anyone old enough to remember what a blue and white G3 is?
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Oh, and I am very grateful today that I don't have to ride around on a scooter that says this :
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Aside from wasting what little life of ours remains for anyone old enough to remember what a blue and white G3 is?
I could go on for hours about how much fun I've had with that computer. I still have OS9 on one drive so I can sync my eMate.

Sometimes as I walk past the Apple Store in the mall, I stop and pause. Tears well up in my eyes as I watch the Apple associates with dead soulless eyes staring out of blank expressionless faces as they explain to the unsuspecting public how they can have the new subscription fees automatically debited from their accounts. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

And when I return home and am able to hear the CD drive on that old G3 pull a Mac Addict disc into it's warm and inviting body, I know that there is still good in the world.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
My latest t-shirt.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
My latest t-shirt.
Party on, dude!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Thankful for the purchase of the little blue one on the left. Got it in particular for undoing the windscreen supports which i have less room than normal because of the extra lights i installed

Cheap from AliExpress of course https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003826531636.html
another place where I found this stubby wrench perfect is in the constrained space around the oil plug and filter* when the exhaust is still on

* on the head of the 3d printed adapter I made for the filter.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Years ago I bought an old toolbox and a bunch of measurement tools from a neighbor for $300.

The measurement tools include:
1" Starrett Mic
1", 2", 3" Starrett Mic set
0"-6" depth Mic set
1.5"-12.5" inside Mic set
5" Brown & (forget the name) Mic
A full set of bore measurement tools
A dial indicator with heavy base and structure

Today I got around to looking through the tool box. There is a lot of the typical toolbox junk. But I found some gold too. A bunch of Snap-On tools! A few sockets and one of the box-end wrenches are missing. New, these tools would cost over $2000 (that's how insane Snap-On prices are).

This unexpected find is cheering me up today!
This set of wrenches sells for $747 new!
This set of wrenches sells for $747 new!
Sockets, extensions, rachet handles, and some accessories.
Sockets, extensions, rachet handles, and some accessories.
1/4" drivers and a set of picks
1/4" drivers and a set of picks
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
5" Brown & (forget the name) Mic
That would almost certainly be Brown & Sharpe.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
That would almost certainly be Brown & Sharpe.
Yes! That's the name I couldn't remember.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Dad Jokes.

What's the name of the dude who is always well-prepared for anything?

Justin Case.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
We got a light dusting of snow on Monday, which caused the city to shut down. I already had Monday off due to the MLK holiday, and was told to stay home on Tuesday (with full pay) due to the weather.

We only lost power once during the whole weekend. Not sure how long it was out, as we were asleep and it was back on when we woke up. It was out long enough for the inside temperature to drop 5-7°F. Our primary heating options are all electric. Having four cats, three of which like to sit on our laps, helped us stay warm, too.

We do have a natural gas powered heater in the front room, and I tried to get it going on Sunday when the temperatures dropped below freezing, but the igniter wouldn't light. I changed the battery, and it still wouldn't spark. On Monday I grabbed a fireplace/candle lighter and gave it a shot, figuring that worst case scenario it wouldn't work at all. To my surprise, it worked!

By yesterday afternoon, the snow had melted (even though temps never got above the mid-to-high-20s), and the temperature inside had climbed back up to above where it was before the power loss, thanks to the gas heater.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
Dad Jokes.

What's the name of the dude who is always well-prepared for anything?

Justin Case.
And his friend who just can't seem to accomplish anything.

Noah Vail
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
I have been somewhat scarce on MV of late, dealing with some issues with Sunny, my 2013 GTS.

I found and fitted a good used throttle-body /ECU to eliminate my worn one that just would not idle. Matched to a new lockset, she is almost perfect again.

(She is just lax to start some days. See WPYOT thread...)
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150

Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC quote
Been cabin bound since Monday as those of us in North Alabama really don't deal well with icey streets. Can't walk on this stuff let alone ride but I really enjoy the well managed MV site to help pass the time. Might be able to get out tomorrow afternoon…..just maybe.
OFG
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I found and fitted a good used throttle-body /ECU to eliminate my worn one that just would not idle.
sounds like the issues I had with my throttle body. Saw tooth idle [SOLVED - worn throttle body]
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Somebody will probably enjoy this pic I just took
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Lovely!

Who?
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Suzuki what?
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Oldfatguy, Monogodo

Sorry for your cold weather and snow. Just routine here in the frosty North. I expect it becomes amateur hour on the roads when you get this weather.

Good luck, stay warm and do not fall over and break something. As we speak, my cat Jack has his butt covering one of the floor heat vents.

Bob Copeland
Jack "Meow - I know where all the hot spots in the house are"
Jack "Meow - I know where all the hot spots in the house are"
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I have repeatedly counseled my friends and family that (a) it sucks that Apple charges for iCloud storage and yet is so completely dependent on it, and (b) just give in and do it. It'll make your life a million times easier if all your devices sync, if your iPhone backs itself up every night without incident, and if you aren't fighting against the storage limit.
And this is why they will pry my Galaxy S20 out of my cold dead hands lol

It's still rocking a MicroSD card slot.

A 512 gb microsd card on sale from a reputable brand in my phone costs way less than one year of far less storage from any of the cloud providers.

As someone who makes a lot of 4K video content, paying for cloud storage just doesn't make any sense at the current prices.

Only exception is GoPro Plus... I can upload unlimited full quality GoPro footage, and have free exchanges should anything happen to my GoPro equipment, for like $50/year.

When cloud solutions start to offer me unlimited full quality storage for that price, then I'll ditch my microsd-compatible phone. Never understood why iPhones didn't get these. It's what took me off of iphone for many years and onto android.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
It's still rocking a MicroSD card slot.
Nothing wrong with a microSD slot. Cheap and reliable and widely available.

iCloud does a lot more than just store data, though. Bulk data storage might be the least important reason to exist, in fact.

The real joy of iCloud is that everything is in sync on all your devices, all the time. Passwords, photos, notes, and so on.

If you mostly only use your phone, this isn't something that you probably care about -- which is fine. But once you have more than one or two devices that you use on a regular basis, the sync problem becomes a huge deal.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The real joy of iCloud is that everything is in sync on all your devices, all the time. Passwords, photos, notes, and so on.
Yep. Samsung and Google both have their own little universes for this, but, honestly, I liked the logging into icloud from my browser and having access to all of the things... the Apple UI was better... but man, youtube is gonna have to start paying A LOT better before I upgrade and get that 2 tb plan lol
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
youtube is gonna have to start paying A LOT better before I upgrade and get that 2 tb plan lol
That's kind of an extreme example. You can go higher, too.

I probably don't need the full 2TB. I had 2TB for free when I worked at Apple, so I continued with that when I left.

The 2TB tier is also what you get with the Apple Premier plan, where all the services are bundled into one. That's actually how I'm getting 2TB at the moment.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
When the Weinerman is trying his best to cheer me up, how can one stay crabby?
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
When the Weinerman is trying his best to cheer me up, how can one stay crabby?
I get the impression there are no boring days in your life
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
When the Weinerman is trying his best to cheer me up
That's just uber creepy.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Hell yeah. Look at all that awesome bubblewrap!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
on the topic of cloud storage:

I personally use Syncthing which is not a cloud system rather it is a file synchronisation system. I use it to sync things like my photos folder between my laptop, workstation, android phone, synology nas, etc (no iphone support). No space limits* as it only is syncs between my devices and not up/down to cloud servers owned by other people.

https://syncthing.net/ (free and open source)

* and before some cheeky kiwi chimes in there are of course disk* space limits on my devices
* disk/ssd/flash/whatever for the extra cheeky
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
This era of Cafe racers inspired me to put Akront aluminum high-shoulder rims on my old chopper. Light weight and strong. And frankly, I just think aluminum rims on spoke wheels look cool.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
That's just uber creepy.
It gets better.

Cartoon food characters enthusiastically consuming themselves is a whole nuther level of surrealistic weirdness. This guy wasn't going to even bother with the condiments and got right down to the business of self nourishment.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
It gets better.

Cartoon food characters enthusiastically consuming themselves is a whole nuther level of surrealistic weirdness. This guy wasn't going to even bother with the condiments and got right down to the business of self nourishment.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
The happy Croc Chef is always good for a smile or two, and at least he/she/it isn't devouring part of itself..
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC quote
In spite of still being iced in since Monday I am very thankful that our power has stayed on. Got up to 40 yesterday so the hard white ice on the streets turned to slush. Then yesterday evening we had a little drizzle that got rid of most of the slush - oh happy day! 37 at 3:00 AM but down to 32 now and falling 🙁. Checked the street & found it to be mostly black ice. Darn!

OFG
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC quote
Update 😀. Partly sunny and temp staying in the mid 30s has made the streets mostly passable. Still sketchy where shaded but was able to get out to resupply. Two grocery stores and the liquor store.

OFG
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0619s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0443s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]