@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
About 4 weeks ago, I joined the Patriot Guard, a group of mostly motorcyclists that formed about 8-9 years ago and honors military veterans at funerals, but only by invitation of immediate family. Primary functions include a flag line at visitations and services and motorcade participation when asked. The PG will also cover welcome homes and farewells, when invited.

I finally volunteered for my first mission, visitation and funeral for a recently retired Army SFC. Nicely decorated 20+ year vet, though still a relatively young man.

During visitation, we (the ride captain and myself) were in the sitting area of the church, where our mission was to hold a "flag line" - simply having a flag at the entrance to the visitation. During a break, I noticed a family picture that caught my eye - a couple sitting in Oklahoma ponchos at a football game. For those that don't understand, TN_Sooner (me!) is a born and bred Oklahoma Sooner. I live it, breath it, make the MP3 group plan fall outings around the football schedule (well, not quite MAKE them, but they are kind to indulge me when possible!), attend 5-8 football games a year, etc.

Upon further investigation, I noticed the picture was part of a collage - all the photos are of the couple at various places on OU campus. I'm now studying closely and realize I think I know these people. Gary (the deceased) was 47, so younger than me, but possible I knew them in school? I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out.

I hear someone talking to the ride captain, telling him thanks for our participation, I turn, see it is the wife, experience more "I know this woman - who is she?" She screams "Will (my name)?????? - Holy Shit!" and we hug. She says, "you hosted a watch party for an OU game and Gary and I came to the party". I began to piece things together.

Kim and Gary (who is actually a Notre Dame fan) came to my house about 8-9 years ago. Kim was president of the local OU club at the time, so she organized the party after I agreed to host. She was OU grad but was from middle Tennessee. It was an early season OU game that was Pay-per-view, so I bought the game, Kim brought snacks and we had about 20 people. I set Gary up in my bedroom so he could watch the ND v Bama game. There were engaged, but not yet married and I remembered her maiden name, but not her married name. Going into the mission, I didn't recognize the name and had no idea I knew this family.

Kim and I chatted only briefly during the visitation and again at the funeral, but I believe she was pleased at our chance "remeeting" and that I was there to honor her husband. The next day, her brother came up to me at the funeral and told me how much Kim appreciated that I was there honoring her husband.

I just wanted to share. I think I was meant to be there and that I am meant to be a Patriot Guard.

[please leave the politics out - this is just about honoring a fallen veteran and his family]
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
great story. thanks for sharing.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Wow, small world. Guess that's why good karma is so important, eh?
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
no politics

that is a great story

keep up the good work
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)
UTC quote
Good on ya. Great story -- and hats off for your volunteering.
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
Thank you for your volunteering and thank you for your service to veterans. You're making a positive impact in the world.
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
That is a great story. I do believe sometimes we're meant to be certain places. How, I haven't the slightest inkling. I love how lives twist and turn.
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
It's amazing. You never know when you do something the impact it will have on another person or for that matter, yourself. Well done.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Clap emoticon

Well done.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
Great story, very touching. Amazingly small world.

I also joined the Patriot Guard a little while ago. Looking forward to participating.
@sharpcolorado avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150

Ossessionato
@sharpcolorado avatar
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
UTC quote
Thanks for posting that. I love stories about people treating other people right. But even when people mistreat us, we still should try to treat them right in return, as well as we can.
People are forever.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Very little in this life is random. At least I don't think so.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Very nice story. Glad you did the ride. I've done a few rides with the Patriot Guard as well and it's always a "heart in your throat" experience.
@bleverone avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GTV 250

Molto Verboso
@bleverone avatar
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
UTC quote
A heartfelt salute to you and your mates for your service now and in the past.

It is amazing how small this tiny planet we live on is. Great story. Thanks.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
What a fantastic coincidence, sorry you couldn't meet up with them under better circumstances.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I love when things like that happen. You were meant to be there. Great story. 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0295s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]