@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
http://www.nbcchicago.com/weather/stories/Severe-Weather-Heads-for-Chicagoland-212686121.html

A big storm came through Chicagoland yesterday right during rush hour.

Luckily I was in my car but, I saw the dark clouds rapidly approaching and I watch a young man on a crotch rocket (no gear) come up behind me. I slowed and moved over in my lane so he could get around me.

At the last minute he zoomed on the toll and took off east.

Then the storm hit. Click on the link if you want to see what it was like. About 5 minutes of car shaking, rain flinging insanity.

I worried about that young biker on the highway when the wind hit, because my car actually moved and branches and debris started raining down on the road.

I also thought I was pretty lucky NOT to have been on my scooter. Because that wind would have blown me right off of it.

Right then I decided that I needed to find some safe places to stop on my scooter commute if I ever got caught. And Woe to me if I was on the tollway. Not sure what I could do in that case.

So far the storms I have been caught in have been minimal compared to this one. So I just kept riding. But this, this was crazy bad and it happened in a second.

How about you? Ever been caught in a super storm? Every out ride one?
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
I've had a couple of occassions where I was out without rain gear and I had to pull up under an overpass or in a tunnel, and just wait out the storm.

Usually it passes. On one memorable occassion I met some fellow travelers:

Light at the end of the tunnel
@mikenpalsie avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@mikenpalsie avatar
gt200
UTC quote
storm
We were out riding backroads around galena on Sunday and had a thunderstorm. Blow up on us, fortunately. We were just outside of a small town and were able to get in the tavern. Before the storm let loose. Two beers later the sun was shining again.
@fentonfred avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Piaggio MP3 250

Addicted
@fentonfred avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
I have recently, and got chills as I watched the almost black clouds float towards me. I rode WOT and probably broke a few traffic laws as I tried to get to a gas station or somewhere with shelter. Eventually the wind started gusting so hard it was bending trees, so I got off the bike and locked the suspension. Then I pushed it through a red light into an apartment complex with sheltered parking. Not something I want to do again...LOL
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
Trep,

Thanks for posting the link to Light at the end of the Tunnel. Somehow I missed that one.

I have to put it in my compilation of Tales by Treppenwitz.

Thanks !
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
Trep,

Thanks for posting the link to Light at the end of the Tunnel. Somehow I missed that one.

I have to put it in my compilation of Tales by Treppenwitz.

Thanks !
Everybody is the star of their own movie.
@larrylarry75 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie

Ossessionato
@larrylarry75 avatar
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
I've had a couple of occassions where I was out without rain gear and I had to pull up under an overpass or in a tunnel, and just wait out the storm.

Usually it passes. On one memorable occassion I met some fellow travelers:

Light at the end of the tunnel
Well done Trep, good narration about your chance tunnel meeting with the "others". Thanks so much for sharing.

LL75
@ac1530 avatar
UTC

2015 Primavera, 2012 Vespa S 150

@ac1530 avatar
2015 Primavera, 2012 Vespa S 150
UTC quote
It stormed and rained just like in the video a few times during my two day basic riding course. Imagine being soaking wet to the core sitting on metal objects in the middle of United Center's parking lot....duuuude. I read the weather forecast religiously especially for any chance of rain. No thanks.
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
UTC quote
Belkwinith,

Thanks for sharing the OP, and thanks to Treppenwitz for sharing the Tunnel story. Both made for interesting reading. As always, you both get thumbs up from me.
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
That storm hit here about 3:50 yesterday. I had gone home at lunch time and switched from my car to my bicycle. I was leaving work just as the tornado sirens started going off. I had just opened the garage door and brought my bike inside when the trees started all bending sideways. I could hear the rain and see the waves in the air, but my driveway was still dry. None of it was striking the ground at first because it was being blown sideways so hard.

A couple years ago, I managed to skirt the edge of a storm like that on my way up to visit my cousin in Minneapolis. I was out in the middle of farmland and decided that taking a detour from the "suggested" GPS route to try to go sideways and miss it instead of riding at an angle like the shortest route said was a good idea. If I'd have followed the computer, it would have taken me right through the middle of the storm. When I got to his place, all the news could talk about was the horrible storm that had just rolled through the area...

I guess that's the danger of riding in the Midwest. We can get fast moving storms that just appear out of nowhere. Still won't stop me from riding...

Mark
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I once rode in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
@sharpcolorado avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150

Ossessionato
@sharpcolorado avatar
2012 GTV 300 & LXV 150
UTC quote
When I get caught sometimes, I mostly worry about the loose gravel in intersections and corners from road wash over. On a scooter, I must resist the temptation to speed up to outrun bad weather, which makes these hazards even more treacherous.

There's a killer on the road.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
We hit a minor one on our ride yesterday but it was windy. Best to find a overpass and hunker down. Like Trepps story you'll meet some cool people under there. Glad you were in your car.
@squishycar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2004 Vespa ET4 150

Hooked
@squishycar avatar
2004 Vespa ET4 150
UTC quote
Yesterday lol...I drove my bus into some of the scariest dark clouds I've seen in NH. It was creepy because it was so still, then it got super windy. Never rained. But my anxiety was through the roof (I am scared of thunderstorms for no reason whatsoever) . I got my bus back as fast as I could ( they are speed limited). When I got to the yard I decided I would try and race the storm to my apartment, which is only 2.5 miles away...it was good there were no cops...but I made it home. Barely. It was very windy and there were big rain drops, but I made it before the skies opened. Definately not a good time.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Best part is before I left for work, I checked the forecast and it was only a 20% chance of rain before I got out of work.
@maestro avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie Super, Honda PCX150

Hooked
@maestro avatar
Vespa 300ie Super, Honda PCX150
UTC quote
So, as a new rider, I am somewhat confused about this issue of riding in the rain. Of course I understand that visibility is reduced, and that certain things on the road get slippery when wet, so slowing down seems like a good idea. But, I know there are people on MV for whom the scooter is their only transportation, so they have to ride it in the rain. It MUST be made to do that, yes? The tires have to handle the water at least as well as automobile tires, don't they? And the legshield and windscreen should make it much drier than riding a motorcycle, doesn't it? Granted, getting soaked is not fun, but with the right gear, you won't. So, should I be scared off from riding if the weather forecast calls for rain? Is it really so much riskier than riding on a dry day? Expert opinions welcomed, and thanks!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Never heard of a derecho before, so thanks for this. And this picture is great!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Reminds me of a Haboob.
Reminds me of a Haboob.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Well, there's rain, and then there's RAIN.

This thread seems to be about weather that is just dangerous, and best avoided if at all possible.
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
maestro wrote:
So, as a new rider, I am somewhat confused about this issue of riding in the rain. Of course I understand that visibility is reduced, and that certain things on the road get slippery when wet, so slowing down seems like a good idea. But, I know there are people on MV for whom the scooter is their only transportation, so they have to ride it in the rain. It MUST be made to do that, yes? The tires have to handle the water at least as well as automobile tires, don't they? And the legshield and windscreen should make it much drier than riding a motorcycle, doesn't it? Granted, getting soaked is not fun, but with the right gear, you won't. So, should I be scared off from riding if the weather forecast calls for rain? Is it really so much riskier than riding on a dry day? Expert opinions welcomed, and thanks!
In a car, balance isn't an issue. I don't lean in my Civic, but I have to on my scoot. Yes, most motorcycle tires have tread so they will move water away. But you still got a lot less rubber in contact with the ground...
@baron_of_cats avatar
UTC

2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, Matte Black (aka GTS So Much For Subtlety)

@baron_of_cats avatar
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, Matte Black (aka GTS So Much For Subtlety)
UTC quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
In a car, balance isn't an issue. I don't lean in my Civic, but I have to on my scoot. Yes, most motorcycle tires have tread so they will move water away. But you still got a lot less rubber in contact with the ground...
This.

Also, in a car, one tire can hydroplane and the other 3 can still keep the car pretty stable. On a 2-wheeler, hydroplaning is a major loss of traction.

On the plus side, the curved profile of a motorcycle/scooter tire makes them less prone to hydroplaning in the first place. But when it does happen, it ain't ever gonna be pretty.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0388s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0134s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]