@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
OK, I got my racing engine cured and had some time to go around and get things dialed in as far as idle tuning, clutch cable adjustment, etc. One thing I'm noticing is that if I use the clutch to shift to 2nd or 3rd it often pops out of those gears. Strangely to me, if you just shift it no clutch, it usually seems to stay in.

I'm assuming the no clutch shifting is bad for the cruciform, and that my issue is a worn cruciform or selector spring. Am I on the right track? Is there any way cable adjustment comes into this? Neutral shows neutral at the headset, and if anything the cables might be on the tight side but definitely not the loose side.

On a positive note, I got my copy of "How to Restore Smallframe Vespas" today and I see that the whole setup is basically the same shifter-wise as my Lambretta, so I can visualize what's up in there. Seems like a good book on my first thumb-through.

Cheers,
John
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250
UTC quote
Too tight of cables or friction on any of the cables can cause issues. But you are probably right, it most likely needs a new cruciform and maybe gears...
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
%$#^@#!. What TR said. My first smallie project gear cable installation had me swearing. Gear jumping in mainly second and third, gear missing, and cold sweat. After adjusting for more slop, it quit. I suppose a little loose allows the selector to rest in the detent with no cable force applied. I settled on adjusting for a little gear grip wiggle in all gears.

Hopefully you won't have to go inside.
OP
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Cable adjustments for the win 8) .
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0081s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0015s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]