@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC quote
Al Davis wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
14perry wrote:
I have been told before that the more profitable Vespas had about a 19% margin, I doubt the 946 is up in that range. Where dealers make the money to pay the employees and stay in business is parts and service. A 946 for some will become a garage queen just to viewed as a museum piece. Few will ride the crap out of them and put on high miles. A dealer would make more in the long run selling 3 S150's to a single 946. The revenue stream on 3 scoots that people aren't afraid to ride, scratch, etc. will be better for them. How many 30K plus mile GT60's do you think exist?
I bet they net better than 19 points on the 946. NOT being discounted like "normal " Vespas, and a goldmine in accessories....and buyers who don't niggle about the price.

If they want one, they're buying it at MSRP plus flees. A "perfect world" in sales....

They may not prove to provide a long term service/spares revenue stream, but Id be willing to bet the gravy made at time of purchase of a 946 rivals or betters the average life-stream revenue of the typical GTS even.

Im just guessing out loud. A semi/kinda educafed guess.
I am looking forward to the way David has to service the 946.

My gut feeling is that it is bulletproof.

But....when a replacement part is needed.

Cat's in the cradle and a silver spoon...........
Believe it or not, but about 98% of the parts for the 946 are available for order from Piaggio.
Don't ask me how and why I know.... Razz emoticon
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
AlexBv200 wrote:
Believe it or not, but about 98% of the parts for the 946 are available for order from Piaggio.
"Available to order" and "will arrive promptly" aren't always the same thing.
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
AlexBv200 wrote:
"Available to order" and "will arrive promptly" aren't always the same thing.
It also meant, not back ordered..
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
UTC quote
neotrotsky wrote:
But, a $10,000 scooter to me goes counter to where Vespa started.
Not true, Lev Davydovych. Look here https://modernvespa.com/forum/post1739257#1739257
It is common misconception that Vespa was marketed to poor proletariat from the day 1.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
It's just that I cant immagne a scooter costing $10,000.00. Even one made by Piaggio with the Vespa badge.
Oh, that's not actually too hard to do.

Take the first of a model year GTV in the state, from a dealer that had no discounts, add a crap ton of chrome and other bits and bobs to it, a maintenance package, a whole new set of riding gear, extended warranty, dealer fees, registration fees, tax on all of that, and someone who didn't know anything about having a loan at the time, and it's quite easy to hit that mark.

If you have to ask me how I know this...
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
Richard H. Lemmon wrote:
It's just that I cant immagne a scooter costing $10,000.00. Even one made by Piaggio with the Vespa badge.

Take the first of a model year GTV in the state, from a dealer that had no discounts, add a crap ton of chrome and other bits and bobs to it, a maintenance package, a whole new set of riding gear, extended warranty, dealer fees, registration fees, tax on all of that, and someone who didn't know anything about having a loan at the time, and it's quite easy to hit that mark.

OT... Witch, what happened to your Vespa?
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
being in CA I bet VSO don't move as many 50cc scooter as other markets like NV Las Vegas, or other areas that helmet are not needed 50cc and below. VSO is in a very well to do part of town and 10k for most people in the area is not burden. with that said I'm sure VSO also pays more Taxs, rent , wages, insurance, Workers comp, and so on to do biz in this market. so profit margin my be lower then lets say a IA dealer that has a vespa dealer and tractor shop but again 10k is not alot for the scooter

the 946+10k = work of art I love it.
It isn't helmet requirements (California) or the lack of them (Texas) that prevents 50cc scooters from being popular in those states far more likely is that you cannot ride even a 50cc without a motorcycle license. Add that requirement to roads where 30mph can get you run over tends to make 125cc the entry level minimum in most people's mind. I know when we bought our first scoot in Houston the posted 35 real travel speed 45 mph road we had to ride to go any direction but south and posted 45mph roads around us put a 50cc out of contention. That is why we ended up with a Buddy 125. The 946 is practical in Houston as long as you do not need a freeway capable scooter. Okay, I know technically a 150 Vespa is freeway legal here but no f'n way would I want to be on the freeway with one if I had any other choice. Example of no other choice is the causeway to Galveston but at least it usually has other slower vehicles on it in at least one of the lanes.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
I marvel at Vespas. Originally I thought "No way could I afford one..."

4 Bikes later, I could have saved up for one, and I have really good credit, so I don't think getting a loan would be hard if I really wanted. My wife's approval is another matter entirely.

I DROOL at the 946, and if someone wants to buy one for me I will do my very best to keep it pristine, but without a garage, and with scoot theft a somewhat common thing, I would constantly fret, even over an 'average' Vespa!

It's awesome that they are selling well. I dunno if we'll see a really big boom of scoots in the US, but I'm positive that ridership is up a large margin over the past couple of decades.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
Witch wrote:

hey Witch! Love your TARDIS! ...I mean, Vespa!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Can I put one on layaway?

I'll be in Monday morning.
OP
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Can I put one on layaway?

I'll be in Monday morning.
Brilliant

SDG
@elvispa avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300

Addicted
@elvispa avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Good Summary. I wonder if people...
go onto the Lexus forums and bitch about the price of Lexa??

There is usually a low and high end, it is just that the high end guys don't lust for low end product.
Aviator47 wrote:
Piaggio USA provides a range of 125/150cc scooters, Typhoon 125 at $2699, Fly 150 at $2899, S150 at $4499, LX150 at $4599 and 946 at about $10,000

Lower end plastic bodied, mid range metal bodies, and high end, high style, advanced body technology.

Seems like they are reaching out to a variety of interests and wallets at the 125/150 cc level.

What's the bitchin' about? I wish them well, and I'm not in the market for a new scooter in any fashion. Following the logic of some, I should wish them to not be able to sell anything!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0288s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0151s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]