OP
UTC

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003
UTC quote
Hi, thanks for the help in advance. Been using this forum for great advice and for the first time i could find an answer for my problem.

I lost my only set of vespa keys. No locksmith in London would come to my house to help me. If i take it to my garage it will cost me over £200!!!

My question would be how can i take the cylinder to have it taken to a locksmith and get it redone???

Other option is that my glove box key was the same for the ignition, would it be the same if i take the one off the glovebox and take it to the locksmith can they do it??

Who can help me with this.

Many thanks
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
sounds like they're trying to charge you about 2-2.5 hours of labor. it's something you can do yourself. you drill out the lock tumblers with a small drill bit/power drill.

to keep the keys matching you'd buy a 3-up keyset, it'd be for the column lock, glovebox, and seat if you'd like it.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Locks/179292
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Locks/178558

i posted american links as im not familiar with uk/euro px links. more than likely you'd remove that cover, drill out the lock, replace the lock, and put the new cover on.

to be honest ive never had to do it on a px, but i've done it on a pe using this tutorial, some of which will be suitable for you: http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/body/locks.html

there are a few forum topics about this and maybe a blog online, so just look around for a proper step by step: Ignition Barrel Replacement **HELP**

the ignition switch itself is retained by a single screw but you'd have to drill out the glovebox lock and remove the horncast with a screwdriver in order to access it. again, i've never done it so i'm not sure if you'd need to remove the ignition switch when drilling just to be safe:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vespa-PX-Ignition-Switch-Key-LML-Stella-125-150-200-neck-lock-Plug-/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqN,!k0E68SV(UMEBO9z0BKpmg~~60_35.JPG

heres a glovebox lock replacement tutorial thats universal: http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/body/glove.locks.html
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
corned beef
before you start drilling ..... whats locked???
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
Don't drill anything.....
If your seat is unlocked, mail the lock to me and I will fit keys for you. All 3 locks are keyed-alike. Just pay for the return postage.

Alternatively, if you happen to have the original black plastic tag that came with your two original keys then you can have a key cut to code.

You maybe surprised........the Zadi code series is very popular in the UK. It would take a locksmith 10mins at most to fit a key.

Cheers
OP
UTC

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003
UTC quote
Hi. Thanks for answers. All helpful. Everything is locked but the toolbox is a bit dodgy and might be able to take out. The toolbox and ignition are the same, but the seat was different.
If i manage to take the toolbox cylinder would a locksmith redo the key and work in the ignition?? The think is a towing service to the garage is £65 plus the £170 in the garage to change the locks and labour. I really think it is too expensive and maybe find a cheaper way to do it. Thanks once again.
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
i dont know how it is over there, but insurance state-side covers tows for service purposes. hell, i've had project bikes towed (illegally), being covered under my insurance.
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

Locks 11 in the Greys Inn Road used to keep piaggio blanks, as Jim said do you still have the original code tag.

God Luck

Grumpy
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
160 pounds is awfy expensive.

It seems as though your seat lock has been changed if you are stating it used a separate key.

Yes, take the toolbox lock to your locksmith shop. They will fit a key for you. The toolbox lock has a fixed cam so it's not as "easy" to fit keys......though can be done with minimal effort. Again this Zadi code series is very common, dare I say simple.

If that does not work out..........

I would strongly suggest calling out a locksmith oppose the replacing any locks. Hopefully your locksmith is cheaper than your other options.

Good luck mate and keep us posted.

Cheers
OP
UTC

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003

Lurker
Px 125 disc 2003
UTC quote
Decided to take it to the garage today. £150 for all the work. Its expensive but hassle free. Learnt my lesson on keys.
Thank you for all the help and opinion in this matter. Thank you
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0177s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0074s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]