@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
Well, Friday, actually. Here are my first impressions.

The new Vespa 946 is a striking machine to look at. I like the modern styling. No storage at all, unless you are Sir Alex Ferguson and need to store a pack or two of chewing gum under the seat. From the front, it is narrower than the GTS line. This gives it a sleek appearance from that perspective. The headset cover is less bulky than the GTS and neater than the GTV.

The key flicks out of the key fob like a switchblade knife (or flick knife) and the engine starts easily. The scooter is easy to rock off the stand, probably due to its weight being almost one hundred pounds less than my GTS.

The seat is very firm but very comfortable. I found the riding position to be comfortable, even, or because of, my long arms (all the better to hug you with, my dear).

I remember that my first impression of the GTS was that it is very light up front to the point of being squirrelly. I realize now that the GTS is not so much light up front as heavy in back as most of the weight is over the rear wheel. The 946 is much better balanced and hence steers extremely securely. Once I got over the tension of riding my friend's brand new $10,000 scooter I relaxed into the ride and began to enjoy the bright response of the 946. As I accelerated from rest I found the 0 to 15 to be slow, but it surged from 15 to (the local speed limit). On the open road it purred along happily at 55 - 60mph. I had no problem entering a line of traffic and then keeping up. It really is an ideal town bike.

The brakes are outstanding. Knowing that it had ABS was reassuring.

One issue was the turn signal switch had no "Press Off" capability. It was awkward trying to cancel the indicators wearing gloves.

The next day I rode Don's GTV and followed him as he rode the 946. Watching the 946 from behind I realized that the brake lights and especially the turn signals ought to be positioned higher, closer to a car driver's line of sight. It was his hand signals that alerted me to the fact that the turn signals were operating. Maybe that was a contributing factor to Tristans 'experience'.

All-in-all, it was a delightful experience riding a beautiful, modern, Vespa 946.
Off we go.
Off we go.
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Fantastic review. If it hums along at 55-60, I would be a happy camper.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
yes... it purrrrs
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
You will get used to the turn signal I am sure. I liked your review. But it is not fair to compare the GT or GTS to the new Vespa. Two totally different things. The GT actually looks more like the new one because of the way the lower fairings stick out more than the GTS. I give it a thumbs up. It is a nice motorscooter. The idea is to take your gear with you. So they are designing helmets to the point that all head gear will consist of half helmets or a a quarter helmets. I look at it and wonder when the accessories will come on it. I see crash bars and front fender trims? Back rack? Modifications?Anyone heard anything about that?
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
You will get used to the turn signal I am sure. I liked your review. But it is not fair to compare the GT or GTS to the new Vespa. Two totally different things. The GT actually looks more like the new one because of the way the lower fairings stick out more than the GTS. I give it a thumbs up. It is a nice motorscooter. The idea is to take your gear with you. So they are designing helmets to the point that all head gear will consist of half helmets or a a quarter helmets. I look at it and wonder when the accessories will come on it. I see crash bars and front fender trims? Back rack? Modifications?Anyone heard anything about that?
rear rack seems to be pretty readily available. it's small but could work in a pinch depending on your needs.
according to an e-mail from scooterwest, they are not expecting to have 946 accessories in stock until late this year or early next. I've also noticed in one other thread an estimate of February.
Still too early for mods? I'm not sure, but would love to hear what anybody else has planned!
(first and foremost on my 'to do list' is to euro-convert those blinkers!)
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
I think less is more. Adding accessories will take away from the sleek design. Those crappy add-on blinkers prove the point.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300ss

Enthusiast
GTS300ss
UTC quote
Hi got the rack on mine, I think it looks good and doesn't spoil the looks.

Paul
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
The more I see the 946 the more I like it.
OP
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
Alisalann wrote:

Paul
Pictures, please.

Is there a way to mount a light kit on it? Or anywhere higher up?

Agree top case, crash bars etc, might disturb the looks. I still believe the lights are an issue.
@kruella_dv avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)

Addicted
@kruella_dv avatar
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
Alisalann wrote:

Paul
Pictures, please.

Agree top case, crash bars etc, might disturb the looks. I still believe the lights are an issue.
Nice review Raputtak, thanks. I took this picture at the UK motorbike show.

Regards, John W.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
I like the rack as it is rather unobtrusive when empty and gives you some carrying capacity.

As for aux lights, about the only viable option would be on the the underside of the seat pan. Not sure of how difficult the wiring and mounting would be. Admore Lighting and Custom Dynamics offer several options for light bars with integrated tail, brake and turn signals.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
Alisalann wrote:

Paul
Pictures, please.

This one could be a solution http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Helmet-Brake-Signal/dp/B00AT9AUOI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1#productDetails
UTC

UTC quote
Great review thank you,,,,,i went to the local vespa dealer today,,,they had two both with signs "do not touch",,,they are very nice don't know if i could part with 10 large for it tho
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T

Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
UTC quote
They do look drop dead gorgeous. I like the white better than the black. Brings out the lines better.
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
UTC quote
By the way, the blinkers are not ugly at all if you look at them in person.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
So is this possibly your, "second" scooter?

If so, that a significant second.

@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
vyatka wrote:
By the way, the blinkers are not ugly at all if you look at them in person.
Vyatka, that's your opinion. IMO (I've seen a 946 in person), the U.S. blinkers are hideous and were only installed to meet DOT standards. It's like putting a big red clown nose on Miranda Kerr to attract more attention.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
UTC quote
Big red nose? Excellent idea! I like it (especially for this girl. Never heard about m Kerr).
Big red nose, two red noses- it doesn't matter because the scenario of the wedding night remains the same Clown emoticon

Sure, it is my opinion and I am not forcing it on you. I look at 946 every day and can tell you, it is not a big deal. I also look at my primavera with blinkers and think what a smart idea was to leave them alone.
Only US vespisti have luxury of having 155cc(thank you, DOT). It comes with blinkers. We got one unique scooter. The rest of the world got original version but every country got the same version.
There was temporary Vespa museum in Belgium during VWD last year. Different Vespa models were grouped by countries of origin/export, France, uk, Germany, etc etc. They couldn't find US spec Vespa in Europe.
UTC

UTC quote
I think she,,,,errr ,,, I mean it has excellent blinkers,,,, I wouldn't change a thing
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0251s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0126s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]