@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
UTC quote
According to the thread on GSF mentioned above, there are actually 3 different oil pump gears, one for the PX80, another for the PX125/150, and another for the PX200, each with respectively increasing cam angles to pump slightly more oil. Supposedly, they can be told apart by either measuring the difference between the max and min of the cam, or visually by the number of gear teeth that are notched on the edge.

PX80 max-min ~0.9mm 1 notched tooth
PX125/150 max-min ~1.6mm 2 notched teeth
PX200 max-min ~2.0mm 3 notched teeth

In a couple of photos it looks like you have a gear with 2 notched teeth.
@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
Thanks, Jim!

Interesting to learn what the notches are for! When I first pulled my T5's autolube gear (two notches), I thought the teeth were actually damaged too...but after closer inspection it was clear it was machined that way.

The replacement gear I've kindly been sent by another forum member also has two notched teeth. It's identical to the one I removed (minus the damage).

Now it's all been thoroughly cleaned, correct gaskets fitted, new check valve ball & spring, and also now that I've filed down the steel bushing in the carb box I'm hopeful it should be trouble free from now on.
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
UTC quote
I don't mean to rain on any parades here, but the reason I mentioned it was because your first photo looks like it has 3 notched teeth which makes it appropriate for a 200. Your replacement appears to have only 2, and though I understand the 200 version is no longer manufactured and is like hen's teeth to find, I would be concerned that a 125/150 autolube might not be sufficient, especially if you're going to install a performance cylinder.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Addicted
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Addicted
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
Hi guys, thanks for a very informative topic! I was trying to find out which gear was used in T5s, and now I know. I'm digging this up to add that there's a 4th gear out there for 150cc engines, with 4 notches:

Could be interesting for those wanting to accommodate souped up 125-based engines while retaining the autolube.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
UTC quote
The number of notches equate to the distance of travel of the piston. If you have a some calipers, measure the difference in thickness between the high and low sides and post the results.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
pdxjim wrote:
The number of notches equate to the distance of travel of the piston. If you have a some calipers, measure the difference in thickness between the high and low sides and post the results.
And to clarify, jim means the oil pump piston, not the engine piston
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Addicted
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Addicted
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
Yes, I'd figured that one out : mrgreen:

On the high side, I find 6.5mm; on the low: 4.8mm, which seems consistent with the figures posted for 125 and 200cc engines, as was posted on the GSF.

To be clear, I measured the thickness at the edge of the teeth, not comprising the step on the underside of the gear. Just mentioning the fact because it seems the OP (the argumentative Finnish fellow) got mixed up measuring his high side @ 6.9, which I get by measuring the step with the teeth.
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Addicted
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Addicted
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
The pic is of course of a 125 and a 200 gear, taken from the german forum.

To add to the topic of what to fit on a 172 kitted T5, I have a friend who rides his with the original 125 spec oil pump, with no known adverse effects (i.e. seizing). Had it not been for the broken tooth, I would have pounced on the 150 gear option, but I'll most likely use a 200 gear just to be on the safe side.
⬆️    About 6 years elapsed    ⬇️
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Stumbled upon this 6 year old discussion of oiler gear markings to distinguish between 125, 150, 200 oilers.

I am cleaning and rebuilding my p200 oiler box and have a spare one.. both from 1980 p200 engines. Neither of them have these notch markings like discussed here or on the scooter-center item description for these oiler gears.

Instead the two gears I have for 1980/earlier p200 engines have an A marked on the bottom side of the gear. Wonder if there was an earlier marking code for these gears with A being p200 and b, c or e being the other engine types?
no notch p200 oiler gear.
no notch p200 oiler gear.
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
UTC quote
Only going by what I've seen in old parts manuals, I believe there were 2 versions of the autolube, an early one and the final one. That may explain the difference you're seeing. I also have no idea if their components are 100% interchangeable the not.
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Addicted
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Addicted
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
The late Rallys and some GTr had the earlier version of autolube, and apparently some were carried over to the P series, though I didn't think those would have been fitted as late as 1980.

There was a discussion on a French forum a while back with some info on the early oil kits; I'll post pics here if there are any of interest.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1186s ][ Queries: 4 (0.1118s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]