@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Hi all, I recently got a new helmet and had the pin lock fitted while I was there and alls been well.

Noticed this morning that there's a small area bottom left of it that has some moisture / fogging. This is the first time I've had a pinlock insert so is it possible to take it out and re fit or are they a one time fit to get a seal?
UTC

Vespa ET4

Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Yes, you can remove them and refit - try to avoid getting finger prints on it if you can. It needs to form a good seal with the visor in order to prevent fogging.

After a while, they do stop being so effective in which case, leave it somewhere warm over night and it should be good to go again by the morning.

If it gets dirty you can wash it (use plain water or mild soapy water and then rinse) but make sure you dry it properly - I find a hair dryer on a low / medium setting works quite well.

You do need to treat them with a bit of care when doing the above but they're not as fragile as some make out - they don't take well to being scratched though, that's the main thing to worry about IMHO.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Often the problem is that the pins aren't tight enough. Moisture is getting between the pinlcok insert and the visor itself.

There's normally around 90-180 degrees' of movement in the pins. When you turn them (with a blunt screwdriver, a thin key, something like that), they tighten the seal between the pinlock and the visor, and you're good to go.
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
A 1p coin works well on my Pinlock, and you're more likely to have a coin than a screwdriver on you, I'd imagine....
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
You've got a spare 1p??!!!!

Capitalist swine Razz emoticon
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
You've got a spare 1p??!!!!

Capitalist swine Razz emoticon
It's my emergency phone money from the 70's..... My mum wrapped it in tin foil, for some bizarre reason... Laughing emoticon

The edge of an Amex card also works well...
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
infallible
is it inside or outside [opposite ya face] the pinlock ..... they do get wet on the outside
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 GTS SS

Hooked
Vespa 300 GTS SS
UTC quote
Fogging
I've had one for may years on a Shoei. In extreme conditions, it fogs a bit on the lower edge but never enough to invade my vision lines. It is still the best anti-fog helmet I used.
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Sometimes my pinlock gets nudged by the top visor seal when I lift the main visor on my Nolan helmet. I find if I lift the visor half way and give the pinlock a little nudge at the bottom it pops back and forms a good seal.
I agree with comment above too - check you have rotated the cams on the two pins to exert pressure on the pinlock inner visor so it seals against the main visor.
I completely disassemble mine and wash it every couple of months. Rinse it under running water and dry with the mrs hairdryer. Then assemble without touching inside surfaces.

Pinlock is a brilliant product - couldn't be without one these days.
Good luck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0095s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]