@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I am considering going to LA for AV. I have never experienced the need to carry extra gas. I would like to take the back roads this time around. When you do that the gas stations with premium gas are not always available. So what is the best way to carry gas on your scooter? I thought about getting the floor rack from Patrick Digde but it seems that everytime I go get gas for my lawn mower the container (which was bought at Wally World) does not hold and gas leaks. I would really like to find a leak proof container to carry the gas between my legs on the floor rack. Yet I am open to any ideas members may have.
⚠️ Last edited by Max6200 on UTC; edited 1 time
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
must
Classic Rack on the footplate and strap a 2 Gallon can on it.

Simple.

Bill X
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
MSR makes a small fuel bottle that is about 30 oz I think. Some have used a Kolpin Fuel Pack Junior (1.5 gal) http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Fuel-Pack-Junior-Bracket/dp/B003UYYH3E with success. Even found creative ways to mount it.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Some more pics here Strategic Petroleum Reserves...updated
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
A bit too pricey for me.
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I had the floor rack confused I come to find out. Patrick does not have them. Just checked Classic Racks. And they are pricey too. Will check the RotoPax some more. Thanks Perry.

Edit:

What is the best way to mount the pack to the GTS250 rear rack?
@still_shifting avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Chetak

Ossessionato
@still_shifting avatar
Chetak
UTC quote
Stainless steel thermos. R
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
MSR bottles work just fine.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
I had the floor rack confused I come to find out. Patrick does not have them. Just checked Classic Racks. And they are pricey too. Will check the RotoPax some more. Thanks Perry.

Edit:

What is the best way to mount the pack to the GTS250 rear rack?
Lots have traveled many miles with a 2 gallon can strapped on where the floor rack would go. No need for an expensive solution. I'll look for a picture. Maybe it was turkman or gogogordy.

@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
I recommend...a container. Much less mess that way.

Nerd emoticon Clown emoticon
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
Hello Max,

Whatever solution you choose, I think it is worth considering the weight distribution of everything you have to carry while on your journey. I think that the GTS (and the LX) have much of the weight on the rear wheel. If you tend to load too much weight behind the back wheel, such as in the top box or on the rack, the weight distribution goes even further back. This leads to 'squirrely' handling. I am not sure if you have a front rack or not, but I would tend to make sure you have some weight loaded up front, such as between your feet on the floor, or on the front rack.

Hope you find a solution and your journey is enjoyable!
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
XTRA Gas
This is what I use.......
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-070-0573/Touratech-3-Liter-Fuel-Canister
Since these pix were taken I now use the same gas containers but with a different mount, in the same location. I carry the spout in the trunk or pet carrier. They do not leak.

I really wouldn't worry much about not being able to find premium gas. Regular works just fine, especially in a pinch!
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
XTRA Gas 2
This is the new mount also purchased from Touratech. Which was modified easily to work with the two gas containers.
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
Rotopax are on sale today Cyber Monday

http://rotopax.com/

http://rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Packs/
Thanks for that RotoPax link and the heads up on their Cyber Monday sale! Just ordered a water/fuel combo pak and a locking mount and extension.
@tex avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)

Molto Verboso
@tex avatar
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
I used the 'Twisted Throttle-Fuel or Water Bottle Mount' on the Vespa GTS. (looking for pictures)
If I saw the Wolf Bottle Holster I would have purchase that instead.

Mounting Kits:

Twisted Throttle-Fuel or Water Bottle Mount

Twisted Throttle-Tool Tube Canister w/ Mounting Kit

Wolf Bottle Holster

This is my new solution on the Aprilia Mana: Wolfman Wolf Bottle Holster from Dual Sport Plus (Canada) as the TT bottle mount blocks my tail light. I might install the TT on my wife's scoot.. If it does not work for her it might be for sale for $20. (Retails for $31.99CDN. I paid $49.92US with shipping)

The Wolf system IMO seems easier to install and with it's straps offers more options on where it can be attached. Will post pictures soon.

⚠️ Last edited by TEX on UTC; edited 1 time
@tex avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tex avatar
UTC quote
Not my Vespa (can't find a pic). But this was my solution on the Vespa GTS. I attached the bottle mount bracket with a Yellow Turn Key Hose Clamp to the rear rack. The bottle and mount was high enough that it did not interfere with cars/bikes behind seeing my brake/running light etc...

Another way..

This will be my solution for the Mana.
⚠️ Last edited by TEX on UTC; edited 1 time
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
MAX i like Tex's setup. Cheaper and just as good. We used MSR bottles when i used to backpack. Good stuff. TEX where do you get the clamps with the turnkeys? Never seen them. Very nice. Have fun on your adventure my friend.
@tex avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tex avatar
UTC quote
Most hardware stores sells them. Pluming department - Ask for 'Turn Key Hose Clamp'
even try RV shops they might call it 'sewer hose clamp'
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
You want cheap go to the hardware store and pick up 4 of these and attach them using the screws on the battery cover. Then you can strap a standard gas can to the floor hump.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
You want cheap go to the hardware store and pick up 4 of these and attach them using the screws on the battery cover. Then you can strap a standard gas can to the floor hump.
Perfectly simple!
@malta_mick avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@malta_mick avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Re: XTRA Gas
Turkman wrote:
This is what I use.......
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-070-0573/Touratech-3-Liter-Fuel-Canister
Since these pix were taken I now use the same gas containers but with a different mount, in the same location. I carry the spout in the trunk or pet carrier. They do not leak.

I really wouldn't worry much about not being able to find premium gas. Regular works just fine, especially in a pinch!
Out of curiosity, where do you put your feet. May ok for a short hop, but if you're needing extra fuel, you must be journeying afar - surely can't be very comfortable.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
The cans are on top of the battery door. He still has the left and right platforms for his feet. No?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I've gone across country a few times on two wheel vehicles, including a 1978 Yamaha 650 with a 120 mile range, that I rode through death valley,and I can't ever remember needing to carry gas in the US. In Patagonia between Chile and Argentina is another story. Where do you expect to find that this is the case, and what do you think will happen to your bike if you had to fill it up with regular gas once or twice? What do you think will happen if you strap a bunch of gas cans to you bike and have a blow out and watch the bike slide down the road throwing up sparks?
If you are really concerned about running out of gas, as opposed to being concerned about tnot finding the grade you need, get a one gallon container and carry it with you. Fill it when you get to a place where you fear you will run out of gas, and put it in the tank when you get where you are going. I have met and know a lot of people who have travelled all over the world on two wheels, and I don't think one has eve said he or she was woried about not being able to find the grade they needed.
@le_fameux_knut avatar
UTC

Vespa Gts 300 i.e touring

@le_fameux_knut avatar
Vespa Gts 300 i.e touring
UTC quote
If your main concern is not being able to find premium fuel at the stations along your route, I would recommend bringing a bottle of octane booster (S.T.P or similar). When you mix it with crap-fuel it becomes "premium". Store the bottle under the seat with a couple of those aluminum thermo bottles with spare fuel on (excellent idea, by the way!)
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
Isn't fuel suppose to be in red containers?????? That is what I was taught. what has changed. Hopefully I am trainable.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
le_fameux_Knut wrote:
If your main concern is not being able to find premium fuel at the stations along your route, I would recommend bringing a bottle of octane booster (S.T.P or similar). When you mix it with crap-fuel it becomes "premium".
If you are on the open road, burning through tanks of gas, it doesn't matter if you buy premium or not. It's not going to weld the piston to the cylinder or cause the engine to explode. I've bought gas on the side of the road in Baja California that was in 1 gallon water bottles, and the guy strained it through a teeshirt in a funnel. There are so many things that are more important when you are traveling on two wheels than whether or not they have your grade or there is a shell station or are the bathrooms clean. When you bog your mind down with the minutiae, you lose sight of why you are out there. If you come to a station, fill up. It's a lot safer than strapping the potential for a substantial explosion to your scooter.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
camper wrote:
Isn't fuel suppose to be in red containers?????? That is what I was taught. what has changed. Hopefully I am trainable.
Depends on the state and how astute the regulating agency or cop shop is about enforcing standards. Based on my personal experience I always use red for gas. We've knocked this around several times before. Some do follow the standard, some don't. YMMV.
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
camper wrote:
Depends on the state and how astute the regulating agency or cop shop is about enforcing standards. Based on my personal experience I always use red for gas. We've knocked this around several times before. Some do follow the standard, some don't. YMMV.
Oh that sounds too officual fo me/
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
BBCode correction/
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
UTC quote
TEX wrote:
Not my Vespa (can't find a pic). But this was my solution on the Vespa GTS. I attached the bottle mount bracket with a Yellow Turn Key Hose Clamp to the rear rack. The bottle and mount was high enough that it did not interfere with cars/bikes behind seeing my brake/running light etc...
Hmm. Looks familiar Razz emoticon

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post1483745#1483745
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
For my tour last summer (click here), after pondering all these alternatives, I opted for the Classic Rack and a 5 liter red gas can. It seems to me that it's the most cost effective way to carry a decent amount of spare fuel.

The MSR bottle route is a little cheaper, but you don't extend your range much.

MSR bottles are $30 a pop and the clamps are about $5, for a total of $65 to carry 2 liters.

Didge's Classic Rack is about $90, the gas can was about $10. So $100 total.

For the extra $35 you carry 3 more liters. That gives you real peace of mind. Plus the foot rack balances the weight better, is more secure, the dedicated gas can is easier to fill and fuel the scoot with, and the rack can be used to haul other stuff.

The Rotopax is a really nice solution, but is also the priciest.

I posted a video of my bike fully loaded. I'll dig it up and repost it here.

You're going to really enjoy your trip!!

Edit: here is the video:

@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
serious reply: MSR bottles are something I've used before & will use again. If you go that route and expect to refill them on the road, pack a syphon hose and refill them from your tank, NOT the pump. It WILL splash back all over you if you try to fill from the pump, no matter how careful you are.

(Experience talking...only did that once.)
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
XTRA Gas
What carrying extra gas will do .....is give you more confidence to go that back road that doesn't have a filling station for 100 or 120 miles. You may never need your extra gas! I'm not at all worried about having a accident and things exploding. Dam, if I worry about everything, my trip won't be much fun.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
Turkman wrote:
What carrying extra gas will do .....is give you more confidence to go that back road that doesn't have a filling station for 100 or 120 miles. You may never need your extra gas! I'm not at all worried about having a accident and things exploding. Dam, if I worry about everything, my trip won't be much fun.
+1 in 3,000 kms, I refilled from the gas can twice, each time as a convenience, not out of necessity.
@bpgolf150 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS250ie, Mojito 150

Enthusiast
@bpgolf150 avatar
GTS250ie, Mojito 150
UTC quote
Front rack option
Here is a quick and dirty option I put together for our long trip. I had the gas bottles already and found that a quart paint can was a perfect fit for them. Took a spare 1x4, screwed the cans to it and mounted on the front rack with a couple of conduit brackets. Then just a small bungie to secure them to the rack.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I've gone across country a few times on two wheel vehicles, including a 1978 Yamaha 650 with a 120 mile range, that I rode through death valley,and I can't ever remember needing to carry gas in the US. In Patagonia between Chile and Argentina is another story. Where do you expect to find that this is the case, and what do you think will happen to your bike if you had to fill it up with regular gas once or twice?
(Snipped)
I have met and know a lot of people who have travelled all over the world on two wheels, and I don't think one has eve said he or she was woried about not being able to find the grade they needed.
Crossing Nevada there is a section where it is 240 miles between gas station. Several rites through Utah we took were 140-190 miles between stations. In one place there is a gas station around 100 miles between Monticello and Hanksville (180 miles) but it only opens when the owner feels like it at a campground on Lake Powell. Mostly western state are where I get concerned and carry gas. From Kansas to NOLA I wouldn't worry about gas. The occasional tank of a lower grade gas won't hurt the scoot especially if it is real not ethanol gas. Typically when I haven't found premium at a station in a rural area they offer non-ethanol in its place. Rather than carry gas if you your concern is the grade of gas available you could simple get some octane booster from an auto supply and add it to lower grade gas.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Motovista wrote:
I've gone across country a few times on two wheel vehicles, including a 1978 Yamaha 650 with a 120 mile range, that I rode through death valley,and I can't ever remember needing to carry gas in the US. In Patagonia between Chile and Argentina is another story. Where do you expect to find that this is the case, and what do you think will happen to your bike if you had to fill it up with regular gas once or twice?
(Snipped)
I have met and know a lot of people who have travelled all over the world on two wheels, and I don't think one has eve said he or she was woried about not being able to find the grade they needed.
Crossing Nevada there is a section where it is 240 miles between gas station. Several rites through Utah we took were 140-190 miles between stations. In one place there is a gas station around 100 miles between Monticello and Hanksville (180 miles) but it only opens when the owner feels like it at a campground on Lake Powell. Mostly western state are where I get concerned and carry gas. From Kansas to NOLA I wouldn't worry about gas. The occasional tank of a lower grade gas won't hurt the scoot especially if it is real not ethanol gas. Typically when I haven't found premium at a station in a rural area they offer non-ethanol in its place. Rather than carry gas if you your concern is the grade of gas available you could simple get some octane booster from an auto supply and add it to lower grade gas.
It's 60+ miles from the last gas at Shoshone Ca to. Death Valley Junction Ca.

If you fill up in Shoshone, to make DVJ and then plan to ride anywhere in DV from DVJ for instance, you'll need gas to do so and still be able make it back to Shoshone for gas (120+ miles from/to gas). Add in some wind and maybe a little more spirited speed and gas gets even more precious quicker.

Ive run out twice now a few short miles from gas at Shoshone.

Of course there IS gas at Furnace Creek, about 43 miles from Death Valley Junction as well. If they havent run out...

It's a personal choice and dependent on where your travels take you but I typically carry extra gas. Its a small insurance against a major walk!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I'll jump aboard the MSR Fuel Bottle wagon.

When I started touring on a scooter I'd strap a plastic gas can to the floorboards. The extra gas invariably just came along for the ride...I never had to use it. However, my main issue was that the big can took away one of the great comforts of riding a scooter...the convenience of a step-through frame.

(I should state that due to a congenital hip condition, I'm probably one of the least flexible people on the planet, having the range of motion of your average wooden clothespin. Razz emoticon )

I eventually went over to the MSR bottle under-the-rear-rack solution. The bottle is tough, legal, small, and out of the way. On my motorcycle, I just stuff one in one of the saddlebags. No, it doesn't hold a lot of gas, but unless you are riding in very remote areas, it will likely get you to the next gas station if you screw up by not topping off when you passed that last gas station. And you can always add an extra bottle if you want to.

You may never need it, but one time pays for all. Anyway, knowing that I have some spare fuel on a long trip through parts unknown adds a little more comfort to the ride.
⚠️ Last edited by Menhir on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
It's a personal choice and dependent on where your travels take you but I typically carry extra gas. Its a small insurance against a major walk!
I agree and probably should have stated my opinion more clearly. There are times and places where it is prudent to carry gas, because there is a likelihood that you will run out before reaching a station, but to carry two and a half gallons of gas across the US because you are concerned that you won't be able to find premium is, in my opinion, very dangerous. So much can go so wrong so fast. When I do long trips, I carry a gas can, and when I know that I am going to exceed the reach of my vehicle, I fill it up, and then when I am about to run out, I put it in my vehicle.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0264s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0066s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]