Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
davidmasse wrote:
I'd be in too.

My concern is that the information once compiled would quickly become stale.

What if you could register as a willing good samaritan in your MV profile? Let's say you added a real location to the good samaritan section of your profile (like latitude longitude for your location maybe within a couple of miles radius of your residence to protect one's privacy).

Let's say that the member in need of assistance went to the MV PM section where there was a request for assistance option. The enter their location, the nature of the problem and a cell number they can be reached at. When they hit send, MV sends a PM to all the good samaritans within a radius of the requester's location.

It's then up to the good samaritans who are in a position to help to do so.

The latitude longitude data should be easy to get from a GPS unit or smart phone.

Of course this would require some development on the MV website.

We could initiate a donation opportunity to fund the development work.

Once functional, MV could license the software to other forums.
PhpBB is developed under the gnu public license. Any derivative work must be free. I wonder if phpbb already has a module for this...
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Me and my BF can offer support & a place to stay in and around Chicagoland. We can transport a scooter with our SUV if necessary.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
VSO can do pretty much anything in the Los Angeles area.

Best,
SDG
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
seldom ever get riders hereon the Island but I am here 99% of the time. I some tools, a jeep and garage floor. also have extra bed if needed., I was on the warm showers list for touring bicyclists for years until it be came abusive, but I will be available if some one needs me. Philip G
OP
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
UTC quote
Update
I made a preliminary list of those that had a positive response to the directory. I know that the data is incomplete, but I did a couple just to move and search in the MS Access. You can search by any of the headings and make a list. If the membership list can read the Access, then members can make a travel list by city or state etc. If we get that working, then members can update their directory data relatively easily. Any other thoughts? I am still working on how to keep contact information limited.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
file is fine. putting int in PDF might be better but who knows? My computer automatically converetd it to PDF anyway. who wil add the updtates? I owuld like to note I can do pick up and have a garage and minilam tools, etc. Maybe check boxes instead of new entry each time? Thank you very much fromall the future users of the this neat list. PG
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
The second 'region' (southeast, whatever) is useful.

The first seems unnecessary. Evry fule kno USA is North America, France is Europe etc.
I will disagree about what every fool knows. Razz emoticon
This will be helpful even for the occasional long trippers.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
There is no such thing as "too much information" when planning a trip. You can discard anything you don't want, but this way you get to make the choice of what to pay atttention to.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Re: Update
DucatiSS wrote:
I made a preliminary list of those that had a positive response to the directory..... .
Looks great for just out of the box start. You can add tools and garage to mine.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Aw heck, I'm in.
I'll join in. Transportation's dicey, but tools and garage are available. And Wisconsin's the home turf....
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
Add coffee and hospitality to mine.
OP
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
UTC quote
PhilipG wrote:
file is fine. putting int in PDF might be better but who knows? My computer automatically converetd it to PDF anyway. who wil add the updtates? I owuld like to note I can do pick up and have a garage and minilam tools, etc. Maybe check boxes instead of new entry each time? Thank you very much fromall the future users of the this neat list. PG
Philip, when the data is viewed in MS Access, they headings marked "yes" are check boxes. It is my first foray into assembling a searchable data base in many years and I am getting smarter each time (when one starts with so little, that becomes easy).

Jim
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Will the final version be a spreadsheet (*.xls) so it can be used with other 'office' software (OpenOffice here) ? Not everyone allows MS Office on their computers, and even fewer have paid for a copy of Access.
OP
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Will the final version be a spreadsheet (*.xls) so it can be used with other 'office' software (OpenOffice here) ? Not everyone allows MS Office on their computers, and even fewer have paid for a copy of Access.
All good points. My target is to have the updates done on *.xls, then sent to Access, finally have the search sent to the requestor in *.pdf. That keeps the information limited to the receipient that requested the information. That's what I envision, but haven't gotten there yet.

Jim
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Count me in for a tow and tools. South Eastern Minnesota
@79_limited avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250 Lambretta TV175

Enthusiast
@79_limited avatar
GTS 250 Lambretta TV175
UTC quote
Count me in.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
UTC quote
Directory Update
I have been out of town for the past month or so and have not fleshed out the directory. In this time I have had the chance to further explore ModernVespa and have become impressed with the capabilities of the site. Member search is a great tool. I had a thought regarding use of this and would like input from moderators and members. If we were to color code our location, for example, if you have shop space/tow help, use a green font on your location and fellow MV'rs would know at a glance without giving away too much who was willing to help. Keeping it simple, yellow font could mean limited help, blue could be social or local advice. For those that do not want to participate, just leave the font black. If you are out of town, swap from green to black until you return. It leaves input to the member and once the font system is in place, the updates are member driven and do not require any administrative time. So, let your comments fly. Thanks for considering the idea.

Jim
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
Re: Directory Update
DucatiSS wrote:
I have been out of town for the past month or so and have not fleshed out the directory. In this time I have had the chance to further explore ModernVespa and have become impressed with the capabilities of the site. Member search is a great tool. I had a thought regarding use of this and would like input from moderators and members. If we were to color code our location, for example, if you have shop space/tow help, use a green font on your location and fellow MV'rs would know at a glance without giving away too much who was willing to help. Keeping it simple, yellow font could mean limited help, blue could be social or local advice. For those that do not want to participate, just leave the font black. If you are out of town, swap from green to black until you return. It leaves input to the member and once the font system is in place, the updates are member driven and do not require any administrative time. So, let your comments fly. Thanks for considering the idea.

Jim
That's so simple it's brilliant. I like it!
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
UTC quote
Simple, I think. Mods...how difficult would this be from your end?

I like it.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
How do I get on the list... I can at least supply a ride, moral support and beer.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
lomunchi wrote:
How do I get on the list... I can at least supply a ride, moral support and beer.
Beer? This guy NEEDS to be on the list! Laughing emoticon
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
Put me for SE Ohio I've got an enclosed and open trailer and a Versa Haul. Also I've got nice garage space and tools. And a Vespa mechanic that'll usually come to my house.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
DucatiSS wrote:
If we were to color code our location
That's not going to be possible any time soon - it would require a re-work of some of the code by Jess. Plus I'm not sure that it would be of any advantage over a searchable or filterable database, and albeit in a small way it would be adding distraction to the probable vast majority who have no wish for the information in the first place.
OP
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
DucatiSS wrote:
That's not going to be possible any time soon - it would require a re-work of some of the code by Jess. Plus I'm not sure that it would be of any advantage over a searchable or filterable database, and albeit in a small way it would be adding distraction to the probable vast majority who have no wish for the information in the first place.
OK, I was just hoping for an easy way to keep the list current. Back to plan A. I will complete the list based upon interest in this thread. Then I will PM the pdf to those in the Directory as constructed. Does a quarterly update sound reasonable? I can PM the Directory members and try to keep it current. Should we make the list available in a Wiki as suggested earlier?

Thanks for checking on this for us, jimc.

Jim
@the_professor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500

Enthusiast
@the_professor avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500
UTC quote
Ducati,
Looks great to me. Go ahead and add tools and shop access for me. Could scrounge up transport and beer in a pinch Laughing emoticon

-Adam
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
UTC quote
I am willing to help out in any way I can. Located In the Northern part of the Greater Toronto Area. Shower, spare bed, limited tools, possibly a heated garage area if it doesn't interfere with a show going on in my theatre.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
DucatiSS wrote:
jimc wrote:
DucatiSS wrote:
OK, I was just hoping for an easy way to keep the list current. Back to plan A. I will complete the list based upon interest in this thread. Then I will PM the pdf to those in the Directory as constructed. Does a quarterly update sound reasonable? I can PM the Directory members and try to keep it current. Should we make the list available in a Wiki as suggested earlier?

Thanks for checking on this for us, jimc.

Jim
I was hoping there might be a file in the Wiki that members could add to/update themselves. Now to just how that might be done I haven't given much thought...
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Thanks Ducati!
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
Put me for SE Ohio I've got an enclosed and open trailer and a Versa Haul. Also I've got nice garage space and tools. And a Vespa mechanic that'll usually come to my house.
You must be a god!!!
@camper avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx150

Molto Verboso
@camper avatar
lx150
UTC quote
. Does a quarterly update sound reasonable? I can PM the Directory members and try to keep it current. Should we make the list available in a Wiki as suggested earlier?

I think an annual update is all that is needed.
Make it a state by state /province list by city in alphabetical order listing the member and contact info and assistance willing to provide/offer
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Count me in if anybody comes over here. I have connections. Have a bunch of tools, spare parts here at the house and can borrow scooters if need be. Also have a couch to hang out on. Spare room is sometimes open. Is there a place where we can put our phone number? A lot of people have it already. Tools and spare parts won't be needed unless you bring your scooter over but it's the thought that counts. I'm good for a meal as well.
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
UTC quote
Ducati --

I have some tools and a garage space. Also a cup of coffee, as needed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0371s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0213s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]