OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
My ET4 125 Leader has 25k miles, and I recently did an oil change, filter, gearbox lube, new Dr.Pulley's and new belt, rear tire and brake shoes, as well as the front end brake pads and brake fluid. I did not replace the guides with those from Dr. Pulley, they were not at that time available.

The old clutch had a "judder", so I cleaned it (the pads are still quite good). OK for a while, then the slippage came back quickly while accelerating, especially from the traffic light. I'm talking full gas acceleration. Also, the scooter is uncomfortable in traffic when I have to creep along, gas on and gas back off. Something is weird.

So, when is the clutch had it?

How can I tell if I need a new one?

Do all Vespa clutches slip a bit noticeably when going full blast off the line?

My old ET4 125, pre-Leader did not have this problem.

Anyone?
@scootiem avatar
UTC

GTS 250 super, Rally180, stella2T,

@scootiem avatar
UTC quote
I've only heard of a few et4 clutches needing to be changed. In fact, I helped a buddy do one last year and he had similar mileage.
However, whenever I'm changing stuff around on vintage vespas like rims,or brakes. I tend to go ahead and get new hubs, and even though I've changed brakes when it didn't appear to be totally gone, there is a extensive difference in braking power. so You need to remember that even though your clutch shoes are still intact and not totally gone. Just think about how much friction they have seen and also how much heating up and cooling down. That will make a big difference in there ability to perform the way they are intended. So my thought, Replace parts! you won't regret it. good luck
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It may be as simple as the very thin 46mm nut holding it all together backing off.

Here's a cheap one!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/46mm-socket
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ScootieM, I think you're probably right. I should just replace the thing, they are fairly cheap anyway.

jimc, yes that is quite a deal. Are you saying the large nut on the clutch unit needs adjusting? Tightening? I don't understand fully.

While replacing the belt, I did notice the movable disc on the clutch was difficult to move so that I could get the belt in far enough into the unit to have enough room at the variator. It seems as if the big spring is too stiff.

If I do get a new unit, is an OEM clutch good with a Malossi 187 upgrade?
@scootiem avatar
UTC

@scootiem avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, nothing like the comfort of new parts. Also, with the clutch bell still on the clutch and the nut off, put your palms on the clutch bell, and turn the outward most drive face counter clockwise while you squeeze. That way you are putting pressure on it the way it wants to go, (same way as the large spring.) much much easier.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ScootieM,

"using the clutch bell"....duh, now that does make things easier!

Thanks for the tip!

But the spring is still a tough cookie. I have at hand an extra motor
(5000 miles), and the clutch on it is way easier to deal with.

What the heck, lets get some new parts!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
robertsfun wrote:
If I do get a new unit, is an OEM clutch good with a Malossi 187 upgrade?
An ET4 clutch is doing sterling service in the LX (with 190 kit) here.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
OK, a new OEM clutch it is.

The variator is also OEM, date stamped makes it 3 years old. It looks good, with Dr. Pulley weights I'm very pleased with the performance.

I'll report back when completed.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
In the meantime I've been doing some research. The "performance" type clutches will need more rpm's to get the scooter to move. Stiffer springs will also raise the rpm level that's needed to engage the clutch.

So, this is exactly what I don't want. Higher rpm's mean to me that city driving will become a bit more trying, also in heavy traffic when I weave between the long lines of cars to get up front at the lights. I want a lower RPM number so the scooter will become easier to control the slow speeds I sometimes have to face.

I haven't found out yet if a performance type clutch can be adjusted for a softer, slower hit. But once again, it looks as if OEM is the best way to go.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Did you change out the clutch in the end?
@dreadmatty avatar
UTC

Hooked
et4 125

Hooked
@dreadmatty avatar
et4 125
UTC quote
my et4
hi i have an et4 125 2002 in traffic mine seems to judder + some times off the lights but when shes warmed up she seems to be ok when i start her up most times in the morning + after short rides . after i stop for a bit she does not idle very well maybe for about 3 mins i have to give her low reves on the throttle for a min or 2 till the idle picks up.but if i take her for a dam good thrashing she rides great and starts fine after ??? i have shit loads of bottom end + she does about 64 top end on a flat i have a scorpion exhaust dose any know if this is normal or does it sound like my auto clutch is onits way out or my carb?????shes done 10755 miles about ......but worst times are when i start her up mornings and when she been stting for a long time like after work any one got any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 7 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Hi just reading through some old threads, my et4 shudders when cold pulling away and when it's warmed up it's fine , did you find out the cause of your problem? Many thanks
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0184s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]