@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
I opened up an engine to strip for a rebuild and noticed the clutch was something I've not seen before. It is a 6-spring basket like on non-200 Vespa engines, but it uses 7-spring clutch corks.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
that looks like the old clutch that came out my engine. sent it off to Gene at Scooters O for a rebuild. he said it was from a GS 160, and SS 180. now I have a P200 clutch except for the Rally 180 gear.
OP
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
If it is a GS clutch that would explain why I'm unfamiliar. There are a few models of Vespa I don't work on and that is one of them.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
The GS/SS have a taper on the clutch side, so that can't be it (assuming this is not a GS/SS). But I think the bell may have been the same between the SS and Rally 180. So my guess would be that this is a Rally 180 clutch, but I've only been into a few and that was a long time ago.
OP
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
Patrick, yes this is a Rally 180. The last couple I've worked on had traditional P200 clutches.
@die_wespe_kind avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III

Hooked
@die_wespe_kind avatar
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III
UTC quote
The clutch on my Rally 180 had the same clutch.
@fastfrog avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125,200, T5, SS180,TS125 and some more...

Hooked
@fastfrog avatar
PX125,200, T5, SS180,TS125 and some more...
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
The GS/SS have a taper on the clutch side, so that can't be it (assuming this is not a GS/SS). But I think the bell may have been the same between the SS and Rally 180. So my guess would be that this is a Rally 180 clutch, but I've only been into a few and that was a long time ago.
that's a GS/SS basket probably fitted on a standard non tapered baseplate...
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Can you loose the hair but leave the dirt........top right.
OP
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
Can you loose the hair but leave the dirt........top right.
This was a filthy fucker alright. I cleaned it all yesterday and put new seals in it. I'll get back to finishing on Sunday after seeing the Book of Mormon musical.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
Sunday after seeing the Book of Mormon musical.
That's what Sundays are for......right?!

I heard when they made On Any Sunday that that was their original message.........but Mcqueen didn't like it.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
SFvsr wrote:
Sunday after seeing the Book of Mormon musical.
That's what Sundays are for......right?!

I heard when they made On Any Sunday that that was their original message.........but Mcqueen didn't like it.
Remember to fast, this is the first sunday of the month.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
If it is a GS clutch that would explain why I'm unfamiliar. There are a few models of Vespa I don't work on and that is one of them.
I thought it was a GS or SS clutch at first but now I'm happy that I sat back and watched.

Just curious about a couple of things. How else is it similar to the GS/SS? Do you need a clutch puller tool to get it off? Does it have a brass bushing or 40 roller bearings?
OP
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
SFvsr wrote:
I thought it was a GS or SS clutch at first but now I'm happy that I sat back and watched.

Just curious about a couple of things. How else is it similar to the GS/SS? Do you need a clutch puller tool to get it off? Does it have a brass bushing or 40 roller bearings?
It is a typical clutch other than its outward appearance.
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
SFvsr wrote:

It is a typical clutch other than its outward appearance.
it's an early - to - mid rally 180 clutch. uses larger diameter springs. nothing unusual, except the fact that most haven't seen one as it's not as common a model.

it's documented in the parts books. most parts are available, but if you don't want to run down the parts specific to that style (basket, springs, cups and backplate) 7-spring ones can be swapped. the cups, basket and springs are in common with the SS180, but the GS160 style is different as it is a six spring using the standard smaller springs and it is the larger diameter outer diameter and not the smaller diameter six spring commonly seen on 125/150's until 1985.

if you plan to swap in a later style assembly, the standard setup is more like a 150 primary gearing wise, with 22 teeth, although you can up gear to a 200 23/65 combo, it'll pull it. especially if you overbore or swap to a 66.5 200cc setup.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]