OP
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
Is there any way to change the center digital display to read MPH instead of outside temperature?

I could care less of the temp but what a great added value if this could display MPH or KPH.

Has anyone looked into this?

I really dislike the small MPH numbers on the speedometer
@olestra avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio mp3 500ie "Ephie"

Hooked
@olestra avatar
UTC quote
technically, anything is possible...
It conceivably could be done by tapping the output of the speed sensors, then running them through a microprocessor (ATtiny probably), then outputting the equivalent voltage that the temp display expected...

so if someone had the specs for what exactly the sinewave output of the speed sensors was and the volt range of the temp sensor was, I could write a program that could convert.

I wouldn't want to be the beta-tester, though.

*tapping into the speed sensor without causing a volt drop big enough to cause faults would be the biggest problem.

the 'simpler' method of just reprogramming the dash -- pretty much impossible without access to the source code.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Muckin with the display could cause unexpected results methinks.

Get a new GPS, cheap and accurate. Could even be permanently installed.

Or install a separate speedometer like G03 did wayback...

Speedo MPH correction visual
@mckee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400

Enthusiast
@mckee avatar
MP3 400
UTC quote
See here: Fuzzy washer, Dr.Pulley, J.Costa comparison, with numbers - this is Piaggio X8, but same could be done on MP3. Note: blue clock is added screen of his self-made computer. What is on the display o's totally up to the owner/developer. As I remember Veeteck also posted some movie of his computer/clock on YouTube.

In my opinion its easier to dismantle your display and change clock's background (I am sure I saw this mod for MP3 somewhere but not remember if it was on ModernVespa or somewhere else).
In the same way you could change color of background lights too.
Personally I prefer original MP3/400 (European) clocks - different from MP3/500.

PS.: Link to the computer/speedometer: http://www.telwis.pl/universal-trip-computer-utcomp-p-119.html?language=en
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Olestra wrote:
technically, anything is possible...
It conceivably could be done by tapping the output of the speed sensors, then running them through a microprocessor (ATtiny probably), then outputting the equivalent voltage that the temp display expected...

so if someone had the specs for what exactly the sinewave output of the speed sensors was and the volt range of the temp sensor was, I could write a program that could convert.

I wouldn't want to be the beta-tester, though.

*tapping into the speed sensor without causing a volt drop big enough to cause faults would be the biggest problem.

the 'simpler' method of just reprogramming the dash -- pretty much impossible without access to the source code.
Since it's all mounted to a PCB, not sure how you would "tap the output" while preventing input from the PCB?

It may be possible, but in no way is it feasible.
@olestra avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@olestra avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Since it's all mounted to a PCB, not sure how you would "tap the output" while preventing input from the PCB?

Cut speed sensor wires, so that instead of going where they are supposed to, they go to original connection and to your micro-controller. Cut wires from temp sensor, hook output of micro-controller to those.

the actual hardware and wiring would be relatively easy. the bugger would be coding and fail safes.

code side, would would need to read digital in fast enough to know how fast the tire was turning : __---__--- versus _-_-_-_ if your controller doesn't read fast enough all you get is steady voltage that cycles up and down at a rate harmonic to the actual pulses.
from there you map the speed of pulses to a real world speed, after which you output analog voltage that is what the display expects for that 'temperature' --the speed you want displayed.

fail safes would include making sure your controller doesn't send out weird signals/ surges during start-up -- that could fry stuff. also checking if the bike uses that external temperature sensor for anything else -- It might use it for a sanity check on the mass airflow sensor on the intake.
and then there is EMI, vehicles are notoriously 'noisy' electromagnetically, making sure you controller doesn't die or go strange from the interference would be fun.

so definitely doable if you've got an EE buddy, or are a really confident amateur. I'm neither, I've built a few robots and a 3d printer, but for something that could go that badly, based on unpublished specs and components... that's a bunch of nope for me, I'll stay with my stickers on the speedo display.

//thank you for the fun thought exercise, though!
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
suggestion.

go on Amazon, they have speedometers that works using GPS and can be places on your dash under your windshield, where the image of your speed can be seen on the inside of your windshield.

This way you never have to take your eyes off the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Up-Display-Speedometer-quick-installation/dp/B005X4QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386489665&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+speedometer
@scoot_florida avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 250

Hooked
@scoot_florida avatar
2009 MP3 250
UTC quote
While we're talking the realm of possibilities, you could also consider a wireless bicycle computer. They normally consist of a sending unit which works off a magnet attached to the rim and a receiving unit. Both are normally 1.5 volt. The computer (typically) can be programmed for any wheel circumference.
OP
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
suggestion.

go on Amazon, they have speedometers that works using GPS and can be places on your dash under your windshield, where the image of your speed can be seen on the inside of your windshield.

This way you never have to take your eyes off the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Up-Display-Speedometer-quick-installation/dp/B005X4QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386489665&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+speedometer
Im going to check into this GPS heads up display.
I think this might be an option to consider.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Olestra wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:

Cut speed sensor wires, so that instead of going where they are supposed to, they go to original connection and to your micro-controller. Cut wires from temp sensor, hook output of micro-controller to those.

the actual hardware and wiring would be relatively easy. the bugger would be coding and fail safes.

code side, would would need to read digital in fast enough to know how fast the tire was turning : __---__--- versus _-_-_-_ if your controller doesn't read fast enough all you get is steady voltage that cycles up and down at a rate harmonic to the actual pulses.
from there you map the speed of pulses to a real world speed, after which you output analog voltage that is what the display expects for that 'temperature' --the speed you want displayed.

fail safes would include making sure your controller doesn't send out weird signals/ surges during start-up -- that could fry stuff. also checking if the bike uses that external temperature sensor for anything else -- It might use it for a sanity check on the mass airflow sensor on the intake.
and then there is EMI, vehicles are notoriously 'noisy' electromagnetically, making sure you controller doesn't die or go strange from the interference would be fun.

so definitely doable if you've got an EE buddy, or are a really confident amateur. I'm neither, I've built a few robots and a 3d printer, but for something that could go that badly, based on unpublished specs and components... that's a bunch of nope for me, I'll stay with my stickers on the speedo display.

//thank you for the fun thought exercise, though!
Like I said, not feasible, if you have enough time and money you can do anything, but why? There are much easier ways to get a digital display.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0142s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]