OP
UTC

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
UTC quote
I just saw this on the cedar rapids iowa cl. I'm going to look at a p200 tomorrow and have no interest in this. Its not a vespa. But at $300 its a cheap 2 cycle scooter. Humm can't seen to get a link to work to it. Doesn't matter its 1980's ugly and is slow.
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
59 Vespa, 65 Vespa, 66 Vespa, 57 Vespa

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
59 Vespa, 65 Vespa, 66 Vespa, 57 Vespa
UTC quote
Those are not that slow...
They'll pull a wheelie and top out at 50mph.
I regret selling mine actually...
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
They are nice little scoots that can be turned into a screamer with laying out too much cash. Dinky brakes though.
OP
UTC

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
UTC quote
Maybe you guys are thinking of the areo 125. The 80 I thought was the odd ball that didnt stick around very long so there really isnt any aftermarket parts available. I thought they topped out about 40. About the same speed a hopped up areo 50 with a 70cc piston would do. Could be wrong haven't even seen an aero in years. But you're right it could be fun for someone.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Theres a guy in Venice who I think put a smaller wheel on the back and had a side surf rack. He would also sometimes pull a surf trailer no problem.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
318ti wrote:
Maybe you guys are thinking of the areo 125. The 80 I thought was the odd ball that didnt stick around very long so there really isnt any aftermarket parts available. I thought they topped out about 40. About the same speed a hopped up areo 50 with a 70cc piston would do. Could be wrong haven't even seen an aero in years. But you're right it could be fun for someone.
The Aero 80 was a beast. Sales were only from 83-85 and stopped by the same US emissions laws that killed the PX and other 2 stroke scooters.

You can do cheap mods to get this 80cc up to sixty easy. Engine is solid but plastic is hard to find.

http://motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Aero80/Aero80.html
OP
UTC

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
UTC quote
Lol. Umm that arttical as cool as it is says top speed of 43 mph and sights lack of aftermarket parts. Oddly it does say 83 to 85 and this is claimed as an 82. It does prove a point the 80's were cool.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
The Aero 80 was a beast. Sales were only from 83-85 and stopped by the same US emissions laws that killed the PX and other 2 stroke scooters.
Do a bit of research, and you will find that Vespa left the US market in late 1981 due to the American importer going bankrupt following some product liability lawsuits.

For other manufacturers, it was more a matter of low US demand than environmental regulations. Two stroke, brand name scooters were still being sold (except in Calif) in 2005, when I moved from the US.

In fact, Vespa, which returned to the US market in 2001, brought the PX150 back in 2005, and there were still unsold units 5 or 6 years later.
OP
UTC

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
UTC quote
Oddly enough vespa opted not to even conform to the vin regulation change in 81 suggesting that all 81 models are in fact left over 1980 scoots. I hate to say it but vespa's have always been pricey new. Market may have been to soft to be profitable. I wonder did the stella stay in the US market during this time?
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
Can a moderator please move this thread to the automatic section of the forum. This thread disgusts me.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
Can a moderator please move this thread to the automatic section of the forum. This thread disgusts me.
Yea, and can a moderator moderate the moderators for not moderating.

Startin to tan my hide.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
318ti wrote:
I wonder did the stella stay in the US market during this time?
The Stella did not exist at that time. LML (actual maker of the Stella) began manufacturing for Piaggio in the mid-1980's, but only for the Asian market.
318ti wrote:
Oddly enough vespa opted not to even conform to the vin regulation change in 81 suggesting that all 81 models are in fact left over 1980 scoots.
Since the standard went into effect in the US in 1981, it did not really apply until the 1982 "model year".
⚠️ Last edited by Aviator47 on UTC; edited 1 time
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
likety
SFvsr wrote:
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0147s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]