@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
I noticed a dip in MPG during the switch. I think they have to sell all the "summer gas" and it may be old. Fresh is better, right?

This is a theory of mine. Educated minds please chime in.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Cold weather also reduces MPG. Takes longer to warm up the engine to proper operating temperature.
OP
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Cold weather also reduces MPG. Takes longer to warm up the engine to proper operating temperature.
It was too big of a swing to be that. Nerd emoticon
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
To clarify, I see a ~10% drop in MPG during cold weather. 2 and 4 wheels about same change. Ethanol (car) and non-ethanol (scoot) show similar results.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Al

It is very hard to find fuel at a reputable petrol station that is "old" enough to affect MPG. Typically, it is the distributors that "switch" on a given date, adding the seasonal blend into retailers' existing stores in the ground. Thus, the pumping of "winter blend" into your vehicle is somewhat "phased in". This mixing of the two blends is of no consequence, other than the partial elimination of the vapor point suppression additives used in summer until the supply is 100% "winter blend".

There are a couple factors that impact on MPG in winter, and the winter formulation is just one of them. Ambient temperature also has an impact, due to the lower pressure/density altitude resulting from lower temps. A fuel injected engine will introduce more fuel into to mix to accommodate the denser air, and a carburetor engine will run less efficiently, if the jetting is set for higher ambient temp.

Also, as ambient temps drop, engines take longer to warm up to normal operating temp, and the automatic choke function gives you a longer period of time at a richer fuel mixture.

Theoretically, "winter blends" contain about 1.7% less energy than "summer blends". Even if the "theory" is off by a factor of 3, that only means about 5% less energy, so any drop in MPG beyond that is most probably due to other factors.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0092s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]