OP
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

lx 150

@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
UTC quote
How much power does a Vespa lx 150 generator / alternator put out?

This is why I ask.

I want to get a Shark stereo 2 speaker system,250 watt radio and mp-3 player for my scoot. I understand not enough power. But I'm looking for real numbers.

I understand that the Shark drains a battery at all times so I would have installed on a plug or switch so it's not sucking power unless I want it.

My big concern is a looong enjoyable ride, music a playing. Take a little rest stop and no start. The shark has a max 5 amp fuse for overload protection. Which means a shark would draw at full power and volume only 2 amp hours max. So average use would be 1 amp hour at normal use.

I imagine this would equate to a 1 amp hour of energy over a 1 hour ride. So if the generator puts out at least 1 amp hour. I would be very safe for say a 6 hour ride. Then need to come home andcharge up. Minus other electrics on the scoot. Headlight blinker and so.....

My battery is a Yuasa 12 volt 10 amp hour with 150 cold cranking amps.

Guru's go nuts!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Doesn't answer your "electrical question", but I would offer:

I have absolutely no experience with music via speaker on a PTW, but I would guess that the general ambient noise when riding would result in a less than "hi-fi" experience. Wouldn't a quality pair of so called "helmet speakers" be a bit more enjoyable? I have listened to music via Bluetooth with my Sena helmet communicator, found the quality fine, and was still aware of traffic sounds. The volume of the music did not have to be high to hear over ambient sound.

And, as an added "plus" everyone else on the road with you doesn't have to involuntarily listen to your music.

Oh, yes, it's also a lot easier to mount
@thumperfcr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST

Enthusiast
@thumperfcr avatar
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST
UTC quote
I had a LX 150 once, I can't amagine wheir your mounting all this stuff. Its not a Aspencade !!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Not a guru but the batteries and electrical systems on our bike are anemic compared to the other models. Do you have any other mods like HID'S or aftermarket horn on it? If so i'm thinking it will be a PIA. I have a HID headlight,rear LED strip attached to my plate holder synched to my brakes, dual colored turn signals (euro with ice blue running lights and amber turns). When we but in a PIAA aftermarket horn i have to have it running to use it. If i use it with the power switched on you can see my headlight dim a bit. Not enough juice. Don't tender mine because it's my only means of transpo. I'd keep it tendered and do long rides every time to charge it fully, if you don't use it everyday or a lot. Good luck. While i had a Kenwood stereo system on my Honda Helix (made specifically for the bike). I wouldn't put that type in now when we have iphones,shuffles etc. Depending on where you put the speakers your going to need a windscreen also. My helix had one, mine were mounted on the dash in front of me.
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
beachpinko, I searched but had trouble finding the specs. According to mandarinia the alternator output is 115.2W. Check the last post in this thread-

Maximum safe electrical load for Vespa LX150?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
An LX has almost no spare capacity, even the use of heated grips (which typically draw between 2 and 4A) usually means a battery tender has to be used every so often to keep the battery in good condition.

Decent miniature speakers in the helmet is the way to go if you want to be able to listen to something while on the move - and you won't annoy others. Bass Monsters or equivalent.

http://www.equinoxmc.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32
OP
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

lx 150

@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
UTC quote
Hachi is the man. That link says everything and in a language I understand. Now only if the other post is correct. Excellent news. I also can find no statement from Vespa or Piagio that give a number for output. Thanks Hachi.

Judi, No mods. Just a battery tender hook up that I also turn around to run a G.P.S. Novi 550. I almost use it every day as I am new to this town. I think it pulls 1 amp or less. Never had a problem with using Garmin.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Before installing heated grips on my LX-150, I did my homework.

The output is 7.5A @ 3,000 RPM. The normal running consumption is 3.5A. Hot Grips brand heated grips running on high still leave enough current to trickle charge the battery.

I posted detailed information on electrical capacity and electrical loads on my blog. The relevant posts are listed in the "gear posts" page.

I ran the heated grips for a full year and never needed to use the battery tender.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
UTC quote
Music is personal. What you think is great is pollution to someone else. As mentioned, to get enough volume to get past wind noise and helmet means loud enough to annoy others. Personally, I think that such a system is a demonstration of extreme selfishness. Don't be a jerk, if you want to listen to music while travelling, get a helmet mounted system (that will also allow intercom and phone use) or get a car and wind the windows up.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Are you always this reluctant to speak your mind, joe??
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Beach, then you should be good to go. If you had what i have on mine you'd have trouble i think. Good luck.
OP
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

lx 150

@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
UTC quote
I would like to thank you all for the FACTS and nice drawings. Mr. Masse. GREAT!!! blog. I look forward to reading much more of it. So in the end, did you cut too much off the wind screen? I used to ride a Harley road king. It had a great set of leather pockets across the lower wind shield for all the small stuff storage, easy access while on the road. Glasses, phone.....you get the point. I am really aiming to duplicate the set up with a wind screen on my scoot. Feel free just to search beachpinko in scooter gallery. I'm kind of a boy scout and love to have everything with me that I might want. And lucky enough to have the ability to create and customize without adding drill holes and devalueing. The scoot has turned into the daily driver..... AHhhh... The life in Fla. If you ever need a vaca from the great white north. Scoot on in and lets go for a ride.

And for those offering personal opinions totally irrelivant to the subject matter , LOL. Sounds like I have an extra amp hour or so just to turn it UP for you.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Are you always this reluctant to speak your mind, joe??
I respect people's right to do what they like, so long as it does not have an impact on those around them. Doing what you like, with no regard for the rights of others is just plain selfish. Doing it when you know it is offensive to someone else is being an arsehole.

Yep, inconsiderate action is a pet peeve of mine
OP
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

lx 150

@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
UTC quote
So here you go Joe. The speaker system is a little behind from the great white north but, is on the way. Mr Massey thanks again for the electrical info. So the wind shield is in place and I added a wind shield bag, to hold the important stuff. Clear glasses for nite and sunglasses for the sunny Fla days. Follow the thread.
Faco brand tall. 15 1/2 inches tall. I am 5'10" tall.
Faco brand tall. 15 1/2 inches tall. I am 5'10" tall.
I made myself a lil windshield bag to hold the essentials.
I made myself a lil windshield bag to hold the essentials.
Took a piece of plastic the neighbor tossed in the trash for the frame work. Attached to the ram mount for the GPS. Ram rocks! Rock sturdy.
Took a piece of plastic the neighbor tossed in the trash for the frame work. Attached to the ram mount for the GPS. Ram rocks! Rock sturdy.
Made myself a lil leather bag for the I pod.
Made myself a lil leather bag for the I pod.
My view. Once I figure out the speaker situation....Will follow up. Don't worry Joe, only 100 watts. Promise you will never hear me.  LoL....
My view. Once I figure out the speaker situation....Will follow up. Don't worry Joe, only 100 watts. Promise you will never hear me. LoL....
OP
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

lx 150

@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
UTC quote
This is a drink glass that is 3' by 3'. The speakers are the same exact size. The mounts are 7/8 meant for handle bars. I think.... Not sure so it won't be hard to do some leather work. then upsize the mirror post to make it fit and look good. I blue lock tighted the mirrors in place and an extra nut to keep everything secure for the extra weight. Fun part is taking everything apart once again for the final install.
3"x3" with the 1/2 inch rise for the mount.
3"x3" with the 1/2 inch rise for the mount.
The right side.
The right side.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
UTC quote
You talkin' to me?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Calling all Vespa electrical guru.
beachpinko wrote:
How much power does a Vespa lx 150 generator / alternator put out?

This is why I ask.

I want to get a Shark stereo 2 speaker system,250 watt radio and mp-3 player for my scoot. I understand not enough power. But I'm looking for real numbers.

I understand that the Shark drains a battery at all times so I would have installed on a plug or switch so it's not sucking power unless I want it.

My big concern is a looong enjoyable ride, music a playing. Take a little rest stop and no start. The shark has a max 5 amp fuse for overload protection. Which means a shark would draw at full power and volume only 2 amp hours max. So average use would be 1 amp hour at normal use.

I imagine this would equate to a 1 amp hour of energy over a 1 hour ride. So if the generator puts out at least 1 amp hour. I would be very safe for say a 6 hour ride. Then need to come home andcharge up. Minus other electrics on the scoot. Headlight blinker and so.....

My battery is a Yuasa 12 volt 10 amp hour with 150 cold cranking amps.

Guru's go nuts!
Upgrade to a EarthX Lithium Iron Battery.
Install the Highest Amperage that will fit or you can afford.
Your charging system is still lacking, but it will provide more capacity.
Look at the ETX-36C and go down from there...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@edmn1mpr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1966 Vespa 180SS

Enthusiast
@edmn1mpr avatar
1966 Vespa 180SS
UTC quote
LED light
I don't see why you can't do what you want to do if you want to upgrade your lights to LED you will cut your power usage by 2 3rds . Good luck
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
If you put in LEDs you need to change the flasher to an electronic one whose flash rate is not load sensitive. Adding load resistors does nothing for you. The heat (amps) you would save losing the standard bulbs would be wasted by the resistors.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=LF1-S-FLAT&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=CMv_qrrt27sCFcKDQgodlxwAMA
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
If you put in LEDs you need to change the flasher to an electronic one whose flash rate is not load sensitive. Adding load resistors does nothing for you. The heat (amps) you would save losing the standard bulbs would be wasted by the resistors.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=LF1-S-FLAT&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=CMv_qrrt27sCFcKDQgodlxwAMA
I think the LX uses it's ECU, so changing the relay may not be possible like the GTS, GTV where it can.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Looks like it can be done. Page 64

http://www.scootermanuals.us/manuals/Vespa/LX150/LX150Workshop.pdf

At the very least you could cut terminal 1 off of the controller. Supply keyed power to an electronic flasher to that wire going to the turn signal switch.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
UTC quote
If the limitation is the LX charging system, using LEDs for the indicators will probably save very little, as the lamps are only lit for a small amount of time. So, even if you go to the trouble of modifying an indicator unit, it is probably not going to improve the situation.

Replacing the lamps that are lit all the time, such as the tail light and headlight would be my guess for the largest savings on load.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0219s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]