OP
@stormy avatar
UTC

2004 GT200

@stormy avatar
2004 GT200
UTC quote
I'm getting used to my Vespa GT200, starting to fall in "LIKE" with it. Been buying accessories like a 10 year old with a FREE shopping spree at Toys R Us. I think I better start paying some attention to its mechanicability though. All I've done since I got it a few months ago is change oil and replace the plug. I've noticed over the past few weeks that when I decelerate, there is this chattering sound coming from the left side. Anyone have an idea what this may be ? Remember, I'm new to all this Vespa culture stuff. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a tinkerer. Figure any maintenance I can do myself (with the help of my new found friends here, of course), may bring me much more pleasure than writing those big checks to the dealer.
Just an aside, I seen on here somewhere that a guy tricked his up with woodgrain. Well, I'm not going the woodgrain rout, but I did just order some 3m Ni Cad "BLACK PYTHON" vinyl wrap. Enough to wrap the whole scoot. But I think I'm just going to do the front cover , glove box and sides. I'm so stoked. I will post pics here when I start this project, before and after. Now I want to find a snake skin seat, lol.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Might be your rollers. When was the last time the belt and rollers were changed? I know what you mean about buying stuff for the wee beasties. Mine has doubled in price with what i've bought for him (not for me). Laughing emoticon Good luck BTW nice forum name. 8) I had a beagle named Stormy. He was the only beagle to not be named Snoopy. Laughing emoticon
OP
@stormy avatar
UTC

2004 GT200

@stormy avatar
2004 GT200
UTC quote
Rollers ?? Belts ?? I thought there was a big rubber band under the seat ! I guess I better look into this roller thing. Is that something that a "tinkerer" can do himself, or should I bring to dealer ?
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
How good of a tinkerer are you? Check the wiki section and you'll find a how to video on most everything you'll need to do on the 200. Not hard but you'll need the right tools. I'd say go for it. ScooterWest has all the parts ( probably tools also) you'll need. I'd also change out the fuel line. They have one for under $9 that will last a long time. People vary on whether to change out the belts if they look good but personally i'd do it. You can't see hair line cracks in the belt (rubber degrades over time) and if you don't know when the last time they were changed just do it. Gives one peace of mind. Not that expensive and having a belt break at speed isn't much fun. The rollers will be easy to spot when bad (you'll see flat spots). Also might want to change out the oil and hub oil. Easy to do. Brake and coolant should probably be done also Is there someone on here that lives near you? Over the years i've contacted people that live on Oahu and we have a great group of people. We ride do workshops,celebrate b;days etc. We get together a group over here and do workshop days 3 to 4 times a year. Everybody brings something to the table. Fun way to meet other Vespa people and to get the work done as well. Beers involved also. Hope this helps and good luck
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
I used to get this until I had a belt and roller change and it's gone so I would guess it's the rollers settling back into position as you stop.
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
UTC quote
Does the chattering sound at all like Crickets?
OP
@stormy avatar
UTC

2004 GT200

@stormy avatar
2004 GT200
UTC quote
Crickets ?? The song , or the bug ? Only kidding, Sounds like a metallic chattering, I don't know how else to explain it. However I did find on here some pics as to how to replace belt and rollers. Like I said previously, I'm not too mechanically inclined. After looking at those pics, I think I could tune-up a space shuttle easier, lol. I think I'm gonna take to dealer.
OUCH.... my wallet just nipped at my butt cheek when I wrote that.
OP
@stormy avatar
UTC

2004 GT200

@stormy avatar
2004 GT200
UTC quote
Anyone have an idea what I can expect to pay for a belt and roller change ? A range so I can keep my local dealer honest. Very apprehensive about going back to them after the $117 oil change. But he's the only game in town.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Belt and roller kit around $150 just for the parts. Guessing here but if they charged you $117 for the oil change which takes 15min i'd guess $300-$400 min. They have overhead (rent,employees,insurance etc) so it is what it is when they charge you and it might be $200 just for the parts (their cost). If you can DIY you'll save yourself a lot of money. Parts are expensive for our bikes. ScooterWest's prices are lower than most. I feel your pain on the numbers. Seriously start a thread about seeing whose around you from here.Some food and beer might get them to come help you.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Truck up to Madison and I'd be happy to help. A sentiment likely shared by many here, by the way.
UTC

Vespa GT 200

Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
Belt/Rollers
The last time I had my belt and rollers changed I took my GT200 to the local High School Auto Technology training program. I talked to the instructor and he said no problem as long as I ordered the parts. He had a couple of students that liked to work on bikes and they did a great job. I ordered the deluxe belt/roller kit from Scooter West which came with the specialty tools needed and some clutch parts. I also ordered a Hayne's manual just in case but they really did not need it. Total cost for the parts was around $150 (I think) and I donated $40 to the program to cover labor. For those of use that aren't wrench turners, this may be a viable cost effective option for some maintenance issues. Some areas may have a Motorcycle Technology training program nearby at the high school or community college level.

I recently needed a rear bearing replaced and I called around to several MC dealerships and repair shops to see if I could get this done without having to go to a dealer. They recommended a retired MC mechanic who did the job quickly at a fair price. The high school instructor did not feel comfortable with this job.

The nearest Vespa dealer (great guys and shop) has a good repair shop and fair prices but they are about an hour away and turnaround is usually at least a week because they are so busy. Since I ride about everyday, I hate losing my ride for a week.

If you want to track down a high school or community college training program, find your state/county/city school system Dept. of Education website and look for a Career and Technical Education link. Good luck. Love my GT.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Vespa Variators clank a little bit, especially compared to most Asian bikes. The recommended service interval for the Belt and Rollers is 8000 miles, so unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, if you're not near that yet, there is probably no good reason to have it done. If you are over that, it's definitely worth inspecting to see if the work has been done. Fortunately, most Vespa owners are very good about following the maintenance schedule, so your bike more than likely got all it's scheduled maintenance. If you get a belt and rollers, Malossi has a new belt that is a lot stronger and more durable than the original, and is the most popular Maxi-Scooter replacement belt in Europe, and their rollers are very good too. But given the quality of the Piaggio OEM parts, the odds are that if you replace Piaggio with Piaggio, you will be good to go as well.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
If you get a belt and rollers, Malossi has a new belt that is a lot stronger and more durable than the original, and is the most popular Maxi-Scooter replacement belt in Europe,
That I'd dispute, in the UK at least.
Quote:
and their rollers are very good too. But given the quality of the Piaggio OEM parts, the odds are that if you replace Piaggio with Piaggio, you will be good to go as well.
I've not heard of a new Malossi belt - I do know the ones I've encountered over the years have had more early failures compared to the OEM.

What's different about the new one?
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Silencer and Rear Bearings
This is the same thing that happened when I decelerated on my GT200. I noticed a clicking noise in the rear of the bike. My mechanic thought it was the silencer on the exhaust eating away at itself. But after putting a different silencer on there, the clicking in the rear of bike was still there.

Upon further inspection, the mechanic noticed one of the rear bearings was wearing away. Eventually, this could lead to fishtailing and losing control of the bike. So, being that my bike is still used a used 90 day warranty at Sportique Scooters here in Denver, they are replacing all of the rear Piaggio bearings.

So, I would check your silencer to see if it needs to replaced and your rear bearings to make sure non of them are wearing away.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am not very mechanical but Sportique has filled me in and they are extremely reputable.

Best of luck,
Ross
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I've not heard of a new Malossi belt - I do know the ones I've encountered over the years have had more early failures compared to the OEM.

What's different about the new one?
A lot of the reason for early failure is, in my opinion, that quite a few of them were bought as a replacement for broken OEM belts, and thrown on after someone blew out the transmission case with an airhose, and/or the first belt an owner tried to replace by him/herself. Or they go into bikes with modified clutches, which also leads to premature wear. And there are a lot of people online who have no direct experience with them but immediately post an opinion they read somewhere else. The new belt, 6115666 for the GT200, replaced 6112854. The composition of the XK was slightly tweaked after they developed the Super T-Max, which is probably one of the most impressive endeavors I've seen anyone do with a scooter, and that composition was then put into the new part number. They say it holds up better under extreme heat and competition conditions.
I've used Malossi belts and rollers since I started doing things with Vespas, initially because they were a lot cheaperand easier for me to get than the OEM part, and my experience with them has been that if you put one and a set of Malossi Rollers in someone's daily driver, the things look like they never wear out.
If your only frame of reference as to the quality of various brands of belts is this forum, when someone has an OEM belt that fails prematurely, it's a fluke, but if someone has installed a Malossi belt, they are advised to remove it because it's going to fail prematurely.
In my experience, any of the major belts, Dayco, Piaggio, Malossi, etc, will last past the recommended replacement interval, as long as the installation is done correctly and there is nothing else amiss. I prefer Malossi belts because they tend to be a little longer, and that usually is good for a couple of miles an hour, especially on the smaller bikes.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for your insights - they've obviously improved somewhat.
@capitano avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion

Addicted
@capitano avatar
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Thanks for your insights - they've obviously improved somewhat.
+1 Noted. Time was, a few years ago, the most repeated advice at service time on any Piaggio engined scooter was "fit an OEM belt, never a Mallossi one".
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0137s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0071s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]