OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Hello MV,

Like many before me I have been lurking around these boards for sometime. Now it's time for me to officially take the MV plunge. I recently purchased the fast red 2009 mp3 500 (under warranty) with just over 100 miles on it (good deal I think). It's in the process of being shipped to me (Houston Tx) from a Vespa dealer in Oregon. I should have it just in time for Christmas.

Now that I'm an owner (thx to MV), I'm ready to prioritize my needs.

a. Get helmet lol (matte black Bell)
1. Take scooter course (using mp3)
2. Practice practice practice
3. Foot pegs (6'4") OAD hopefully
4. Seat mod (local shop)
5. Dr Pulley with Fuzzy washers (need help finding the washers)
6. Add top box with break lights
7. Add tented windscreen
8. Hit the open road
9. MP3 rides and gatherings
10. Share experiences

I will be sure to post pics when it/he/the beast arrives, until then I'll continue reading as much as I can. Again, thank you MV for giving me the confidence to pull the trigger on what I think is going to be a life altering purchase.
⚠️ Last edited by WLMSentp on UTC; edited 3 times
UTC

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
Hi and welcome from another newbie.Feel the same as you and after 50 years of bikes of all shapes and sizes,decided a Fuoco 500 is right for me now.
Enjoy your ride and all the related experiences.
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
Welcome also from a relative newbie in Ireland, about 5 months.

Love the Fuoco and always puts a smile on my face, like baldeagle, after riding all sorts for many years.

Knowing what I now know, the first thing I would do is the Gonzo Tweak to make sure that the steering bearings are set correctly to prolong there life, then the toys.........
@thumperfcr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST

Enthusiast
@thumperfcr avatar
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST
UTC quote
Re: MP3 500 the way
WLMSentp wrote:
Hello MV,

Like many before me I have been lurking around these boards for sometime. Now it's time for me to officially take the MV plunge. I recently purchased the fast red 2009 mp3 500 (under warranty) with just over 100 miles on it (good deal I think). It's in the process of being shipped to me (Houston Tx) from a Vespa dealer in Oregon. I should have it just in time for Christmas.

4. Seat mod (local shop)
7. Add tented windscreen
8. Hit the open road
10. Share experiences

I will be sure to post pics when it/he/the beast arrives, until then I'll continue reading as much as I can. Again, thank you MV for giving me the confidence to pull the trigger on what I think is going to be a life altering purchase.
#5- Make your own using a fender washer. Its just a hare over 1mm. Get a good file and a 6 pack. you will save $10.00
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
WLMSentp wrote:
Hello MV,

4. Seat mod (local shop)
7. Add tented windscreen
8. Hit the open road
10. Share experiences

First of all ... if you don't already have your "M" on your "C" driving license, DO NOT and I say DO NOT take this first MSF class on your MP3. Because you are not familiar with the way this scoot turns, stops or how it feels under you .... it is best to find a MSF course that will allow you to take the course using one of their two wheel scooters. Not your MP3.

Tinted windscreen ... that is your choice. Personally if I need sunshades, I just lower the shades on my Scorpion helmet. But this is a personal choice you will make ...

My windscreen comes from Madstad ... because the screen is adjustable. You can find reviews in here on that screen. And it is only made to fit 500, not any of the other MP3 models. And they have tinted colors.

Since you are in Houston, you will find several MP3s riders there. Just connect with them through this forum. In fact, when I get back to riding again after my accident Oct 16, 2012 ... a lot of MP3 riders here are going to join me on a trip to the 3 twisted sisters, located near Leakey, Texas. One is even coming from New Orleans, another from Norman Oklahoma, several from East Texas and North Texas, San Antonio, Austin and the Metroplex.

So I would probably suggest you start with some small trips, learning about how the scoot reacts to how you ride it.

I'll be ready to ride again about Late April (hopefully).

Leakey 'Texas will be probably a 4 day trip ... most likely a 1.5 day just to get to Kerrville where we will either camp or some may stay in a motel. But Kerrville is our meeting place prior to joining up to ride the sisters.

So practice on your 500 and increasing your trip lengths each time.

And welcome to the MP3 forum.

At least you will have plenty of time to do the MODs to your scoot before this trip comes up.

be sure to find the spreadsheet in the Wiki, it will help you find things to do to your 500.

FM

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Up-Display-Speedometer-quick-installation/dp/B005X4QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386489665&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+speedometer

for your speed odometer (hud)
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
@Funky Monkey.

Does that display just use GPS technology or does it use WI-FI like a cell phone? If GPS, is there a subscription?

Also, what make is it?

Looks like an interesting piece of kit........

Thanks.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
[quote="baldeagle"]Hi and welcome from another newbie.Feel the same as you and after 50 years of bikes of all shapes and sizes,decided a Fuoco 500 is right for me now.
Enjoy your ride and all the related experiences. [/quote

baldeagle,
Thanks for the welcome. I would love to hear about some of your early thoughts and experiences with the 500. Right now I can't seem to get enough insight.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
Welcome also from a relative newbie in Ireland, about 5 months.

Love the Fuoco and always puts a smile on my face, like baldeagle, after riding all sorts for many years.

Knowing what I now know, the first thing I would do is the Gonzo Tweak to make sure that the steering bearings are set correctly to prolong there life, then the toys.........
IrishTC,
Thanks for the welcome. Being a somewhat newbie yourself I'm sure you know the feeling of excitement that I'm experiencing right now.

I have read plenty on the Gonzo Tweak. Did you do the tweak yourself or did you use a pro?
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
I am fairly handy with the spanners, so I did it myself, in fact I dad all myself, belt, rollers etc.etc.

None of it is too difficult, and with all the help and photos available on MV, I reckon most could do it if you have the tools.
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Does that display just use GPS technology or does it use WI-FI like a cell phone? If GPS, is there a subscription?

Also, what make is it?

Thanks.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeo-Head-Vehicle-Speed-Display/dp/B004L5AB9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386533741&sr=8-1&keywords=GPS+Head-Up+Display+Speedometer

Not much use in the rain though.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
WLMSentp wrote:
Hello MV,

4. Seat mod (local shop)
7. Add tented windscreen
8. Hit the open road
10. Share experiences

First of all ... if you don't already have your "M" on your "C" driving license, DO NOT and I say DO NOT take this first MSF class on your MP3. Because you are not familiar with the way this scoot turns, stops or how it feels under you .... it is best to find a MSF course that will allow you to take the course using one of their two wheel scooters. Not your MP3.

Tinted windscreen ... that is your choice. Personally if I need sunshades, I just lower the shades on my Scorpion helmet. But this is a personal choice you will make ...

My windscreen comes from Madstad ... because the screen is adjustable. You can find reviews in here on that screen. And it is only made to fit 500, not any of the other MP3 models. And they have tinted colors.

Since you are in Houston, you will find several MP3s riders there. Just connect with them through this forum. In fact, when I get back to riding again after my accident Oct 16, 2012 ... a lot of MP3 riders here are going to join me on a trip to the 3 twisted sisters, located near Leakey, Texas. One is even coming from New Orleans, another from Norman Oklahoma, several from East Texas and North Texas, San Antonio, Austin and the Metroplex.

So I would probably suggest you start with some small trips, learning about how the scoot reacts to how you ride it.

I'll be ready to ride again about Late April (hopefully).

Leakey 'Texas will be probably a 4 day trip ... most likely a 1.5 day just to get to Kerrville where we will either camp or some may stay in a motel. But Kerrville is our meeting place prior to joining up to ride the sisters.

So practice on your 500 and increasing your trip lengths each time.

And welcome to the MP3 forum.

At least you will have plenty of time to do the MODs to your scoot before this trip comes up.

be sure to find the spreadsheet in the Wiki, it will help you find things to do to your 500.

FM

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Up-Display-Speedometer-quick-installation/dp/B005X4QCAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386489665&sr=1-1&keywords=gps+speedometer

for your speed odometer (hud)
FunkyMonkey,
Thanks for the welcome, advice and ride invite.

My original plans were to take the MSF course using one of their scoots but thought I might as well let them give me some much needed pointers whilst on the MP3. I will take your advice and not use the MP3 during the course. This will also save me from having to trailer it to the course site.

My choice of a tinted windscreen is merely for looks, as I think the OEM SCREEN goes well with the MP3 250. I'm sure once I see how other 500s look in person then I'll make the final decision. The windscreen, like most mods, will mostly be determined by my 6'4" height.

My helmet however will be tinted. I'm a little reluctant about purchasing a helmet online without first trying it on. So I have yet to pull the trigger on the matte black Bell.

Once I have completed the MSF course, I plan to do most of my practicing in and around my neighborhood. I've read on these forums how newbies would take early morning practice rides. Also, there is a local school where I plan to do alot of practicing as well.

On two occasions, over the past couple of years, I have seen at least two sightings of MP3 250s in Houston. Both in the same Energy Corridor area of town.

As I'm not sure how long it will take for me to become comfortable enough to be able to partake in a joint ride, but I'm looking forward to the day.

Lastly, good to know that you will be back riding soon.
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
I don't see any mention of adding a hugger to the rear wheel. It's an easy and inexpensive thing to do. It's so easy it's hard to call it a mod.
Hugger Fender For Rear Of MP3 500
LONG discussion.
I expect that you guys with a lot of motorcycle time would be familiar with his.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
YaYaDave wrote:
I don't see any mention of adding a hugger to the rear wheel. It's an easy and inexpensive thing to do. It's so easy it's hard to call it a mod.
LONG discussion.
I expect that you guys with a lot of motorcycle time would be familiar with his.
So many mods. Once I get a feel for the mp3 grease on my hands, then I'm sure I'll add it to the list. Nerd emoticon
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
WLMSentp wrote:
YaYaDave wrote:
LONG discussion.
So many mods. Once I get a feel for the mp3 grease on my hands, then I'm sure I'll add it to the list. Nerd emoticon
I sorta figured. But I wanted to just put that out for all the new owners 'cause I haven't seen it mentioned lately.
UTC

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
[quote="WLMSentp"]
baldeagle wrote:
Hi and welcome from another newbie.Feel the same as you and after 50 years of bikes of all shapes and sizes,decided a Fuoco 500 is right for me now.
Enjoy your ride and all the related experiences. [/quote

baldeagle,
Thanks for the welcome. I would love to hear about some of your early thoughts and experiences with the 500. Right now I can't seem to get enough insight.
I was lucky to buy my 2007 with only 8k kms on the clock.The previous owner had fitted a Givi screen,which to me seemed essential after riding a naked Quadro and wind buffeting was bad!After a lifetime of big bikes,culminating in recent years,Goldwings and BM's a decent screen was essential for poor old shoulders and tinnitus!!
He had also fitted heated grips which although not essential certainly prolong the riding season in my opinion.He gave me a pair of Tucano Urbano handlebar muffs which he had never fitted,nor may I as they look enormous
but again may extend the riding season.I have ordered a Baglux leg cover as here in France all the year round mp3 riders seem to have them and currently cheap at £35 + postage in the UK.
It's pretty cold here at the moment and Piaggio for some reason say 60 days to turn round a Certificate of Conformity as the bike was purchased in the UK,french beurocracy is incredible but to get it registered here I must have this EUR154 sheet of A4 paper
Hope some of this helps and will soon have lots more mods on the go,enjoy your ride.
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
I sympathise with you baldeagle.

When I got mu Fuoco in the UK I had to pay VRT,(vehicle registration tax), EUR254. It does not take long, has to be done within a month, but at least you can use for that period once it is insured. Should be done within the day, you call to the VRT office with bike, they check VIN, details etc. and then issue a certificate. But as they had not got a Fuoco listed they did not know what to call it, motorcycle or trike so it took two days. In the end they just called it a "cycle"

You then have to pay Road Tax.

European UNION my ass Livid emoticon
@alexb avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 MP3-500

Addicted
@alexb avatar
2008 MP3-500
UTC quote
WLMSentp wrote:
...I recently purchased the fast red 2009 mp3 500...
Due ot the age, I would Replace the Tire Valve Stems, from rubber to All-Metal... This will prevent a common failure method (on all vehicles) of the valve stems breaking off, causing catastropic air loss.

+1 for the idea of Heated Grips too, especially given the current winter season.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Welcome to WLMSentp and congratulations on the new wheels. I would add a loud horn like a Stebil to the top of you mod list. I also agree that it is wiser to take the MSF course on one of their bikes in case of a drop. Better theirs than yours. Good luck.
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Also, what make is it?

Thanks.
Go look at my link and read for yourself, then ask questions, cause I dont know any more than what is written ... FM
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
3 months after I had been riding my 500, I rode to Jackson MS ... so you will have more time to experince your MP3 than when I first took off on my first long trip. This my first scoot that I owned, but I have about 18 years riding a mountain bike.
That only helped me understand when the need to peddle or now on the scoot, give throttle in a turn ...
So take your MSF course on a two wheel scooter, I did so find someone in Houston that teaches that course and has scooters, when your advance course comes up after a year of riding, then you should be ready for taking the advance course on the 500.
I guess it was about 8 months of riding when Roland (trirol1) took me to his testing grounds to try the box ... then it was much easier to stay within the lines. But not for the initial course.
You will have fun and learn a lot.

FM
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Also, what make is it?

Thanks.
Go look at my link and read for yourself, then ask questions, cause I dont know any more than what is written ... FM
Sorry for the trouble. I read the link and it did not make these points clear to me. I presumed, the way you were pushing it in more than one thread, that you had one?

Again Sorry...............
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Also, what make is it?

Thanks.
GPS ... NOT wi-fi

Normally this would fit or be used in a vehicle, away from the elements. So just get a waterproof cover ... gps should work thru it.

If it works through the metal and glass of a vehicle ... I would think it should work through a waterproof container on our scoots up under the wind shield. Now I have the madstad shield. I like it because it is adjustable.

Go at your own risk ... as that is what you do every time you ride a MP3.
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
FunkyMonkey wrote:
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Also, what make is it?

Thanks.
Sorry for the trouble. I read the link and it did not make these points clear to me. I presumed, the way you were pushing it in more than one thread, that you had one?

Again Sorry...............
I will have that model when I get back to riding again, so if you would like to wait, then I will test it out for you ... deal?
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Early surprise
I wanted to give you an update regarding the my new mp3. To my surprise, I receive a call from the shipping company on last night. Low in behold, the bike is to arrive today! The original eta was 12/24. Yes, I'm extremely excited however panic has quickly set in. I still have yet to take the MSF training course, purchase a helmet, plus gear. So much to do.

Also, would it be safe for me to take a quick test ride around the block (hard to resist)? The streets in my neighborhood will be mostly free from traffic when the bike arrives 6-9pm. Now keep in mind I have no riding experience, but I do have good coordination and I'm strong enough to handle the size (in good shape). I've watched many YouTube videos of first time rides/reviews and I feel quite comfortable to handle a quick test ride.

Also, can someone give me list of things that I should test for once the bike arrives?

@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Re: Early surprise
WLMSentp wrote:
purchase a helmet, plus gear. So much to do.

Thank God you finally mentioned gear. Please do more than just a helmet. I have tumbled down the road a couple of times before when I was riding a cheap Chinese scooter and really learned the value of gear. Jacket, pants, gloves and boots. If/when you go down you will be grateful for the gear you were wearing and wishing you had been wearing the gear you weren't. Even in a parking lot at low speeds, gear will save you much recovery time and medical bills. It is better to get up from a crash and say "Man that sucks, look at my scoot", then to wake up in the ambulance thinking "this is going to continue to suck for a long time".

And if that doesn't convince you might I recommend spending time on Youtube looking at videos of motorcycle crashes, one of the best ways to learn what not to do.

Now, if you are absolutely going to go riding around the neighborhood as soon as the delivery truck leaves, give yourself some time to get to know the bike. Sitting on it, feet down, release the lock (slide the tilt lock switch to the right), give it a little gas and only go a few feet, then stop. Take it easy, start and stop, start and stop, very short distances. Do not just take off and go zipping around the neighborhood. If that is your plan, make sure you have somebody to video you so you can post it to youtube while you are recovering from your accident because you got excited and then didn't know what to do when X happened.

Just my advice, my MP3 400 is my second scooter/motorcycle and I now have over 50,000 miles on it.

EDIT: OH and huge congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum, such an awesome Christmas gift. I love that giddy with anticipation feeling. When I got mine, I bought it from a member on here that had put 1800 miles on it and then wanted to sell. I took a Greyhound bus from Atlanta to Florida, meet him for breakfast, paid him, and then drove it back that day.
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Some of the best reviews of motorcycle gear. I go here to check out things like helmets before I purchase or go trying them on.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/

I also like these guys for gear when I do decided to purchase online rather than in store, especially their closeout deals. They have a great return policy as well.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I also recommend this book. It is a more in depth understanding of what you will get from the MSF course.
http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387143206&sr=8-2&keywords=proficient+motorcycling
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
You are gonna like it!!
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
My twopence worth.

Just ignore the tilt lock for the moment as that is where the "drops" seem to lie.........use two feet.

My order is , "Stop, Lock, Stand".

Some people don't bother with stand and I don't if I am out and about. But my 3.5 year old grandson likes to climb on it and At home I use the stand as a precaution.

@Funky Monkey....................Deal!!!!!!
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Early surprise
Glow Guy wrote:
WLMSentp wrote:
purchase a helmet, plus gear. So much to do.

Thank God you finally mentioned gear. Please do more than just a helmet. I have tumbled down the road a couple of times before when I was riding a cheap Chinese scooter and really learned the value of gear. Jacket, pants, gloves and boots. If/when you go down you will be grateful for the gear you were wearing and wishing you had been wearing the gear you weren't. Even in a parking lot at low speeds, gear will save you much recovery time and medical bills. It is better to get up from a crash and say "Man that sucks, look at my scoot", then to wake up in the ambulance thinking "this is going to continue to suck for a long time".

And if that doesn't convince you might I recommend spending time on Youtube looking at videos of motorcycle crashes, one of the best ways to learn what not to do.

Now, if you are absolutely going to go riding around the neighborhood as soon as the delivery truck leaves, give yourself some time to get to know the bike. Sitting on it, feet down, release the lock (slide the tilt lock switch to the right), give it a little gas and only go a few feet, then stop. Take it easy, start and stop, start and stop, very short distances. Do not just take off and go zipping around the neighborhood. If that is your plan, make sure you have somebody to video you so you can post it to youtube while you are recovering from your accident because you got excited and then didn't know what to do when X happened.

Just my advice, my MP3 400 is my second scooter/motorcycle and I now have over 50,000 miles on it.

EDIT: OH and huge congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum, such an awesome Christmas gift. I love that giddy with anticipation feeling. When I got mine, I bought it from a member on here that had put 1800 miles on it and then wanted to sell. I took a Greyhound bus from Atlanta to Florida, meet him for breakfast, paid him, and then drove it back that day.
Glow Guy,

Thanks for the advice and welcome. I will definitely do the start and stop routine. I really just want to make sure the machine starts and runs properly. I have cleared a nice space in the garage for the my newest friend. I call the bike my friend because I'm sure we'll make plenty memories together.

Although I don't know a lot about the quality of the gear I will need, I will use this learning period to decide what gear works best for me.

I found your bus trip to Florida intriguing. Had I been an experienced rider, I could see myself doing a similar purchase trip. Unfortunately Oregon would have been a real endurance ride back to Houston.

D minus one hour until I finally meet my new friend.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
You are gonna like it!!
Thanks. Perhaps you could share some of your cool Texas riding locations.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
My twopence worth.

Just ignore the tilt lock for the moment as that is where the "drops" seem to lie.........use two feet.

My order is , "Stop, Lock, Stand".

Some people don't bother with stand and I don't if I am out and about. But my 3.5 year old grandson likes to climb on it and At home I use the stand as a precaution.

@Funky Monkey....................Deal!!!!!!
I will definitely not rush into trying master the tilt lock. From all my MV reading and video watching, I do feel as though I will be able to master it at some point. Until then both feet on the ground. 8)
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
123 and down it goes
Well my 500 finally arrived. The driver gave me a quick how to lesson start, tilt etc. Firstly the dealer didn't send the warranty info, maintenance book or manual, so I will be contacting the dealer first thing tomorrow. The only thing that was sent with the bike was the two keys (brown & black). The black keys needs a new battery so the trunk doesn't open via the key. Also the right front turn light is not working. I tried it both via the turn single switch, as well as the hazard button.

My first impression is that the bike appears bigger in person. Also it is confirmed that I will need to get the seat modified, along with OAD's new foot pegs, as my 6'4" height limits my leg room and therefore my overall comfort.

Lastly, I could not resist taking it for an initial test spin. And wouldn't you know it, I would lay it down right out of the driveway. After only 2 seconds of riding Splat! There seemed to be a lot play in the steering. I suppose this is just part of the learning curve. As far as I can tell there are only a few visible scratches resulting from the fall. The front panel near the lower screw. I will give it a thorough looking over on tomorrow when the lighting will be better. I wonder if I set the record for the quickest spill (10 min after receiving it).

I'm not at all bummed by the fall, as I just learned my first lesson. Practice practice and more practice. I did have to pick the bike by myself though. Although it was quite heavy, I was able to manage with ease. Being that I will not be able to take the safety course for a least another two weeks, I will be taking quick spins around the neighborhood after the streets have cleared for the night.

I will have a busy week tending to matters related to the bike. I need to get the bike registered with the state of Texas and I will also get some insurance. Not necessary in that order. Gear testing (small knee scratch from first fall).
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
Welcome
I bought my bike from the same dealer you did and have the same issue with the right turn indicator.
You got a great deal from that auction by the way.
I was watching it and had already ordered mine or I was going to bid.
Glad you got it.
I also noticed some of my rubber bushings were weathered and cracked and will have those replaced as well under warranty.

Check and make sure you also have the tool kit as mine was missing but was sent to me after I contacted the folks in Milwaukee Oregon.
Great people there and very helpful.

Glad your ok
Ride safe....
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Welcome
3wheeler wrote:
I bought my bike from the same dealer you did and have the same issue with the right turn indicator.
Glad you got it.
I also noticed some of my rubber bushings were weathered and cracked and will have those replaced as well under warranty.

Check and make sure you also have the tool kit as mine was missing but was sent to me after I contacted the folks in Milwaukee Oregon.

Glad your ok
Ride safe....
Thanks. The people at Vespa Milwaukee have been very helpful and easy to work with. I spoke with them today, and they are planning to send me all of the missing material shortly.

I did receive the took kit. Only three pieces however. Is this normal? Also, how did you address your right turn single issue? I'm assuming it can be fixed under the warranty. Is there an opportunity to purchase an extended warranty, I'm thinking I'm going to need it?
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@maynard_schweigert avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
WLMSentp wrote:
There seemed to be a lot play in the steering.
I take it that this is a used bike, if so please check for play in your center steering bearing. It is not unusual for the ring lock nuts to loosen up.
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
Re: Welcome
WLMSentp wrote:
3wheeler wrote:
Glad you got it.

Glad your ok
Ride safe....
Thanks. The people at Vespa Milwaukee have been very helpful and easy to work with. I spoke with them today, and they are planning to send me all of the missing material shortly.

I did receive the took kit. Only three pieces however. Is this normal? Also, how did you address your right turn single issue? I'm assuming it can be fixed under the warranty. Is there an opportunity to purchase an extended warranty, I'm thinking I'm going to need it?
I have a total of 7 pieces in the tool kit.
As far as warranty there should be no problem unless your not the first buyer.

I think the bike you bought was a dealer demo with about 150 miles on it.

If you received the manufacturers origin papers then your the first owner and the warranty starts with you.

There is an extended warranty and I am checking on it as we speak.
Ill let you know what I find out.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
WLMSentp wrote:
There seemed to be a lot play in the steering.
I take it that this is a used bike, if so please check for play in your center steering bearing. It is not unusual for the ring lock nuts to loosen up.
No I'm the first owner. The play in the steering is just me not knowing what to expect. I also recently purchased a new pickup and I can recall having the same initial impression. I'm going to really give this bike the benefit of the doubt on this one.
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
WLMSentp

A lot of your early questions are answered in the Owners Manual and a lot of more involved information is in the shop manual. For manuals you can download go here:
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/
Look for the manuals for a Fuoco 'cause that's what the MP3 500 is called in the rest of the world.

Also a lot of information is available in the Modern Vespa Wiki - look across the top of this page.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
YaYaDave wrote:
WLMSentp

A lot of your early questions are answered in the Owners Manual and a lot of more involved information is in the shop manual. For manuals you can download go here:
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/
Look for the manuals for a Fuoco 'cause that's what the MP3 500 is called in the rest of the world.

Also a lot of information is available in the Modern Vespa Wiki - look across the top of this page.
Crash course reading. Thanks!
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Update
Update. I have now had the bike for just over two weeks. I have taken several late night rides around the neighborhood and some practice stops and turns at the nearby school parking lot. I must say that I'm starting to get a better feel for the bike. So much so that last night I was really feeling brave so I decided to leave my comfort zone and ventured out of the neighborhood to get gas. Although I was a little nervous at first, I could feel my confidence growing by the minute. What started out being a quick gas run ended up being a 45 min ride (plenty of firsts). Being 6'4" finding a comfortable riding position will be an ongoing issue until I'm able to get the seat mod and hopefully a set of foot pegs from OAD. I actually sat on the passenger seat for most of the ride, and sitting closer forward coming out of stops.

Questions to MV:
1. Is it normal to have to manually disengage the turn signal? If so, how best do you turn it off without accidentally signaling a turn in the opposite direction. Also, my right front signal is out, does this have anything to do with this issue?

2. I quickly got into a habit of doing rolling stops. Is this a habit that I should correct now, or is it acceptable based on circumstance?

3. What is the best way to affix the license plate when the holes don't line up? Is turning the plate sideways legal?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0430s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0147s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]