UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
WLMSentp wrote:
Update. I have now had the bike for just over two weeks. I have taken several late night rides around the neighborhood and some practice stops and turns at the nearby school parking lot. I must say that I'm starting to get a better feel for the bike. So much so that last night I was really feeling brave so I decided to leave my comfort zone and ventured out of the neighborhood to get gas. Although I was a little nervous at first, I could feel my confidence growing by the minute. What started out being a quick gas run ended up being a 45 min ride (plenty of firsts). Being 6'4" finding a comfortable riding position will be an ongoing issue until I'm able to get the seat mod and hopefully a set of foot pegs from OAD. I actually sat on the passenger seat for most of the ride, and sitting closer forward coming out of stops.

Questions to MV:
1. Is it normal to have to manually disengage the turn signal? If so, how best do you turn it off without accidentally signaling a turn in the opposite direction. Also, my right front signal is out, does this have anything to do with this issue?

2. I quickly got into a habit of doing rolling stops. Is this a habit that I should correct now, or is it acceptable based on circumstance?

3. What is the best way to affix the license plate when the holes don't line up? Is turning the plate sideways legal?
You're getting your confidence up, that's good. Carry on with that!

To your questions
1. Yes, you must manually press the turn signal button in (forward) to disengage the signal. So rock the switch right for right signal, press the switch to disengage signal. Ditto for left. Standard turn signal switch arrangment on a bike, there's not an automatic 'off' function like in a car.
2. Not sure of the question? Are you rolling through a stop sign ("California stop")? Or are you talking about using the tilt lock?
3. All license plates and the holders should have standard placed matching holes. I wonder if something is amiss in the bracket on the scooter, which as I recall has an adapter plate on it to suit US plates. And as far as I know the plate cannot be mounted sideways in any state; it needs to be affixed properly to be read or you'll get pulled over for sure.
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
+1 with Bravo Two Four
Bravo Two Four is spot on.
You must come to a complete stop. If not you are subject to a citation. This is really a must a traffic camera intersections.
All licenses must be affixed properly. This is the number one reason LEO's stop motorcycles.
I know this for a fact.

Ride safe
⚠️ Last edited by 3wheeler on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
My twopence worth.

Just ignore the tilt lock for the moment as that is where the "drops" seem to lie.........use two feet.

My order is , "Stop, Lock, Stand".

Some people don't bother with stand and I don't if I am out and about. But my 3.5 year old grandson likes to climb on it and At home I use the stand as a precaution.

@Funky Monkey....................Deal!!!!!!
edited added not

How about stop, stand, and do not lock (until you are 100% familiar with how it operates on slopes (right side and left side slopes), uphill and downhill, stopped and starting). the tilt lock is a very useful tool. Use it as that. The tilt lock will throw your bike at an awkward angle when stopped if not on any perfectly level area. Practice using it and you will love it!
⚠️ Last edited by Phillip..P. Smith on UTC; edited 1 time
@irishtc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@irishtc avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
IrishTC wrote:
My twopence worth.

Just ignore the tilt lock for the moment as that is where the "drops" seem to lie.........use two feet.

My order is , "Stop, Lock, Stand".

Some people don't bother with stand and I don't if I am out and about. But my 3.5 year old grandson likes to climb on it and At home I use the stand as a precaution.

@Funky Monkey....................Deal!!!!!!
How about stop, stand, and do not lock (until you are 100% familiar with how it operates on slopes (right side and left side slopes), uphill and downhill, stopped and starting). the tilt lock is a very useful tool. Use it as that. The tilt lock will throw your bike at an awkward angle when stopped if on any perfectly level area. Practice using it and you will love it!
When I say "stand", I mean bike stand.
I also think you have a typo in second last sentence??? " The tilt lock will throw your bike at an awkward angle when stopped if on any perfectly level area". I cannot see how that can happen unless you lean bike over to one side or the other.
The tilt lock will lock bike at whatever angle bike is at, so, generally if you stop with feet down, I find, that bike is upright, not at right angle to ground, but vertical, unless you lean sideways which means the bike weight is unbalanced, so I make sure it is upright and then set lock.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear in original post, but that is what I mean, Stop, (feet down, making sure bike is upright), Lock (lock tilt), Stand (place bike on bike stand).

Saying all that, if I stop and ground is at an angle side to side, I may not place it on it's stand as it may be tilted too far over if I did. I only do it on fairly level ground and in my drive/garage. If it is an up or down hill lie, it makes no difference unless you are trying to put it on/take it off stand while pointing up/down hill, bloody heavy.........

Hope I have made it clear as my intention is NOT to confuse anyone, especially new riders.

I have been riding bikes for longer than I care to remember so I am used to putting feet down when I stop. But I can see the attraction to new riders of the tilt lock who feel that they can ride and stop without using feet. Not so, except with extreme care, practice and common sense.
As long as it is regarded as a "useful accessory", and not "normal", I think people should be ok.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
I contacted the dealer and they are going send me the missing license plate adaptor with no charge.

I decided not did not make a fuss over the missing tools. I hope I don't end up regretting it down the road.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: +1 with Bravo Two Four
3wheeler wrote:
Bravo Two Four is spot on.
You must come to a complete stop. If not you are subject to a citation. This is really a must a traffic camera intersections.
All licenses must be affixed properly. This is the number one reason LEO's stop motorcycles.
I know this for a fact.

Side safe
I know many of my newbie questions will be answered during my class in a couple weeks but I thought to ask some now. Also, I will end the rolling almost to a stop practice before it becomes a habit where I'm ticketed or hurt.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Update
BravoTwoFour wrote:
WLMSentp wrote:
Update. I have now had the bike for just over two weeks. I have taken several late night rides around the neighborhood and some practice stops and turns at the nearby school parking lot. I must say that I'm starting to get a better feel for the bike. So much so that last night I was really feeling brave so I decided to leave my comfort zone and ventured out of the neighborhood to get gas. Although I was a little nervous at first, I could feel my confidence growing by the minute. What started out being a quick gas run ended up being a 45 min ride (plenty of firsts). Being 6'4" finding a comfortable riding position will be an ongoing issue until I'm able to get the seat mod and hopefully a set of foot pegs from OAD. I actually sat on the passenger seat for most of the ride, and sitting closer forward coming out of stops.

Questions to MV:
1. Is it normal to have to manually disengage the turn signal? If so, how best do you turn it off without accidentally signaling a turn in the opposite direction. Also, my right front signal is out, does this have anything to do with this issue?

2. I quickly got into a habit of doing rolling stops. Is this a habit that I should correct now, or is it acceptable based on circumstance?

3. What is the best way to affix the license plate when the holes don't line up? Is turning the plate sideways legal?

To your questions
1. Yes, you must manually press the turn signal button in (forward) to disengage the signal. So rock the switch right for right signal, press the switch to disengage signal. Ditto for left. Standard turn signal switch arrangment on a bike, there's not an automatic 'off' function like in a car.
2. Not sure of the question? Are you rolling through a stop sign ("California stop")? Or are you talking about using the tilt lock?
3. All license plates and the holders should have standard placed matching holes. I wonder if something is amiss in the bracket on the scooter, which as I recall has an adapter plate on it to suit US plates. And as far as I know the plate cannot be mounted sideways in any state; it needs to be affixed properly to be read or you'll get pulled over for sure.
I will definitely have to practice the turn signaling. Struggled big time last night's ride.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Re: Update
WLMSentp wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:

To your questions
I will definitely have to practice the turn signaling. Struggled big time last night's ride.
You'll get it soon enough and it will become second nature to use them well. Many of us add turn signal reminders on the dash because the one flashing light in the center gauge isn't always enough to remind you the signal is on.
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
IrishTC wrote:
@Funky Monkey.

Does that display just use GPS technology or does it use WI-FI like a cell phone? If GPS, is there a subscription?

Also, what make is it?

Looks like an interesting piece of kit........

Thanks.
Just uses GPS .. no subscription needed.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Update
Now that I've had my new 500 for a couple of weeks, I thought I would share with you how I'm progressing. I have continued to take short night rides in and around my neighborhood. To date I have just over 80 riding miles under my built. After my initial drop, I have become more comfortable handling the bike. My stops and turns are starting to feel more natural. I'm even becoming more comfortable using the turn signals. Although I have yet to take the safety course, I feel like I've come a long way in just a couple weeks.

I have even found time to perform my first fix. Being that most of my rides are at night, I noticed that, in addition to my left front turn light being out, the center cyclops light was also out. I figured that this had the potential to be a relative easy explore and fix. It turned out that the bike was shipped with the cyclops light not connected. I was able to remove the OEM shield, pull out the center light, and make the simple connection. Next up for me is to fix the front turn signal light. So far I have been unable to access the bulb. I have been unable to unscrew the outer light casing. The rear access screw is stubborn to unscrew.
Say hello to my little friend (in my Scarface voice).
Say hello to my little friend (in my Scarface voice).
UTC

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
Like you I found the single front light was out when I recently bought my new to me 2007 Fuoco,as in your case was disconnected and looking at the muck on the pins it had never been connected.
The first time I had the cover on the bike,which was supplied to me by the previous owner,when I tried to remove it I thought " oh s--t!! I have just broken off the left indicator,the cover a factory one is a real tight fit.
So took a good look on here and found how easy it is to replace,however like you the screw is a smaller than norm headed Phillips and I at first went through my screwdriver box to find a better fitting one,maybe try and get a mole grip around the shaft to give you more leverage?
Glad to see you are getting more used to your machine and good luck with the stubborn screw.
@3wheeler avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500 Red

@3wheeler avatar
2009 MP3 500 Red
UTC quote
Warranty work for MP3 500
I would take it in and have the light fixed under warranty.
at this time they can go over the bike and make sure everything else is as it should be.
Mine goes in this week for the same reason and to make sure the bike is good to go with lights, bolt tightness, lube and anything else there might be an issue with.
Glad to here its all coming together for you.
Ride safe.
OP
@wlmsentp avatar
UTC

'09 Red MP3 500

@wlmsentp avatar
'09 Red MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Warranty work for MP3 500
3wheeler wrote:
I would take it in and have the light fixed under warranty.
at this time they can go over the bike and make sure everything else is as it should be.
Mine goes in this week for the same reason and to make sure the bike is good to go with lights, bolt tightness, lube and anything else there might be an issue with.
Glad to here its all coming together for you.
Ride safe.
I'm looking to take it to nearest dealer to have the light fixed and get a new bike inspection.

I was finally able to get to the bulb. Although the light was not even connected, the bulb did appear to be out, or it is not getting any power at all. I tested all the lights and the one never came on.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0263s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0124s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]