OP
UTC

74 rally 200

74 rally 200
UTC quote
Hi I'm English but living in Brisbane Australia and new to the site ,although not new to scooters .

I bought a 74 rally 200 from Portland and had it shipped out to Oz because you just cant buy them here, but its been a pain all the way .

it ran ok when it arrived but was pressurizing the gearbox and cutting out ,so I've had the engine rebuilt by an old Italian guy called Ross ,he was the main importer of Vespa's in the 70's to Australia and still has a workshop at home were he does repairs for friends and family.

The main problem now is I cant get a spark ,I've tried a rebuilt Ac stator and rebuilt my Dc stator with a new low tension coil ,pick up and capacitor .

I've also bought a new Ducati coil conversion from beedspeed and an original femsa coil from a dealer in Spain ,it came with the femsa repro one .

All the coils I have could be faulty im just not sure how to check them and to be honest I'm sick of the sight of it ,any advice would be great ,

cheers kev .

mines the one on the left althought its before I replaced the parts ,Ive also tried another flywheel and crank pick up .

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/cumbriascooterriders/media/IMG_0356.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/cumbriascooterriders/media/1453505_392001460931602_2088270266_n.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/cumbriascooterriders/media/image-13.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Taillight bulb blown?
My Super had th same issues, one day I worked out it was a bulb causing complete electrical failure!
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
UTC quote
checking the coils is easy, you just need an ohm meter...the values for each can be found with a search of the web...
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250ie "gone" & others vintage

Hooked
GTS 250ie "gone" & others vintage
UTC quote
There is no capacitor, it's a resistor.
OP
UTC

74 rally 200

74 rally 200
UTC quote
When I say coils ,I mean the cdi box's ,I've checked the stators and they all seam ok .Beedspeed sent me the values over .

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/cumbriascooterriders/media/IMG_0358.png.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Double, double check the pickup, that's the one that typically dies.

Make sure all wires from stator are not connected to anything and not touching. Connect only the red, blue and green and make sure there is solid connection from one of the blacks to the body/ground of the HT coil.

Make sure the trigger lobe is on the crank and see if you have spark...
UTC

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
UTC quote
Check to make sure the CDI is not being grounded out by either the ignition switch or the wire (violet color on mine) that goes to it. Have you tried it with just the wires to the CDI hooked up and all others not connected?
UTC

Enthusiast
1975 VESPA RALLY 200 Euro

Enthusiast
1975 VESPA RALLY 200 Euro
UTC quote
disconnect the engine wiring harness from the body wiring harness at the terminal block on top of the case. You should have 4 connections there. This will isolate the engine from any possible body wiring issues. **Note- if you get it started, you will need to pull the cap off the spark plug to get the engine to stop.
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
Try unplugging the greens from the CDI and then check for spark and you'll know that you have wire rot or a short in the harness. Don't know anything about Rallies, but it worked to track down the problem with my P2.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
tommylittlescooter wrote:
Try unplugging the greens from the CDI and then check for spark and you'll know that you have wire rot or a short in the harness. Don't know anything about Rallies, but it worked to track down the problem with my P2.
Like Tommy says, he doesn't know Rally models.

From here on out, it really should be users who have intimate knowledge of Rally models with Femsatronic. Otherwise the OP will just get a bunch nunky info.

The original Femsatronic didn't have any "greens from CDI." The kill wire for that model travels directly from the stator (red at junction and then is a purple wire). My recommendation would have been to convert the engine to a P200 crank and stator. This would have eliminated having to source wonky re-made parts that will just fail again.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
I'll add:

You've already spent a ton of money and effort trying to keep this on the road. But going forward you've got to come to grips with the fact that the Femsatronic components are obsolete and the replacement components are absolutely substandard.

I seriously recommend you consider making the conversion to a P200 crank, P200 stator, Ducati CDI. It is a permanent fix and in the event a part fails you can easily source any of the components locally.

But, your question is about repairing your existing components. The problem with this is you've got two different stators (both appear to have been repaired by someone) , aftermarket CEAT CDI box (complete junk in my opinion), red Ducati (copy?) with a booster(?). With all of this I'm only confident I'd be able to help you if the scooter were right in front of me.
OP
UTC

74 rally 200

74 rally 200
UTC quote
Thanks I do understand ,like I say I'm new to the site not scooters ,I would like to stick with the femsa if I can .

Heres the ducati conversion from beedspeed and the pictures I've put up were before I replaced all the stator parts ,I'm just not sure how to test the cdi boxes ,I also understand the the black cdi box is crap ,it was just on the scooter when I bought it.

http://beedspeed.com/electronic-ignition-coil-convertion-rally-femsa-duca-p-10373.html
OP
UTC

74 rally 200

74 rally 200
UTC quote
Right Ive found someone over here in Oz ,who has a femsa rally ,I'm going to post him my cdi boxes and hes going to try them on his running scooter and see if they work on that .
UTC

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
UTC quote
Keep in mind your '74 stator is slightly different than the later years. If it was running as you say before the engine work, it sounds as if either a solder joint broke loose breaking circuit continuity or a short developed in the ignition circuit, either in the red/blue/green to the CDI or the violet wire from the coils that goes into the harness with the yellows and whites. The solder state of the wires on the stator terminal bar looks a little sketchy. It would be worth having someone with decent soldering skills clean that up.

If you're trying a to just swap in a Ducati CDI the wire colors are not a direct swap. This link will give you information on the swap: http://www.scooterrescue.com/femsatronic-to-ducati-cdi.html

As an aside, I still have the original Femsatronic system on mine which has been 100% spot on. I would only consider swapping over to the P200 if I needed to replace my crank and/or bearings. Going forward the Ducati system would have much better parts availability.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0078s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]