OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Hi, all,

I'm pretty new to the forum, and only just starting riding this past spring, after buying my 2009 Vespa LX150 purely on impulse off Craigslist. One of the best decisions I ever made

Well, our first snowstorm of the season is predicted for tonight, so I made sure I got a nice - but cold! - ride in today.

I was going to put Violetta (does anyone else name theirs?) away for the winter, but now I'm thinking I might be brave enough to to do some winter riding, on clear, dry days. But I'm definitely gonna need to order some winter riding gear! And maybe one of those Speedway Shelters.

Anyone have one of those? For those without a garage, how do you park your Vespas in the winter?

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and post a photo of me that a friend just took.

Nice to be here

Lynda
It's sunny, but temps are diving to below freezing tonight!
It's sunny, but temps are diving to below freezing tonight!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Welcome to MV, Lynda!

You're an intrepid one.....and not alone here. I'm guessing you've already read some of the recent posts on winter riding. There's a lot of cumulative wisdom here, so you should get plenty of help getting things sorted.

Ride safe!
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super

Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
Welcome to MVP. Beware of black ice as you approach intersections. It looks shiny and Black. It comes from autos sitting at stop light. You may have seen water coming out of exhaust pipe or steam, that is what makes it. Good luck out there and enjoy the ride.
@lightracer avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
300 GTV i.e.

Enthusiast
@lightracer avatar
300 GTV i.e.
UTC quote
Great pic Lynda. And yes, most do name their rides. Welcome and ride safe.
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks for the reminder about black ice, Dibber!
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC quote
You can't go wrong with a Thermoscud and some handlebar muffs.

They do wonders to keep your legs and hands warm.
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Hi, ckaiserca,
I just ordered a Thermoscud and the handlebar muffs! They look like they'll make a huge difference
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Welcome to the madness! It sort of sneaks upon some of us at odd moments, doesn't it? Once bitten, always infected!
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Welcome to MV. You may want to consider investing in some good silk glove liners and long underwear. Something that breathes nicely so you don't roast when you are inside but still warm when out on your bike.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Looking at your picture, I don't see a windscreen on your scooter....It's critical for comfortable cold-weather riding IMHO.
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Fledermaus, you must have been reading my brain! The fellow i bought the Vespa from actually gave me a brand new tall windshield, still in its plastic, that he had never used. He said he didn't like windshields because he thought they negatively affected stability in windy conditions and that's why he gave it to me for free.

I haven't used it yet, but as I was was searching the forum for winter riding tips, I saw quite a few mentions of the windshields being helpful. Then I started searching online to see if I could find installation instructions. Didn't find much, but I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Thanks for your input
@kruella_dv avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)

Addicted
@kruella_dv avatar
Piaggio Beverly Sport Tourer (BV350)
UTC quote
Hi Lyndabee from across the pond and welcome to MV-land. Yes, windscreens are great for winter riding. Be aware though that they can fog up and it's best to be able to look over the top. A rule-of-thumb is for the top of the screen to be at nose height. Some folks write a series of numbers down from the top of the screen then go for a ride and see which number you look through when looking at the pavement 15 yards or so in front of you. That's where the top of the screen should be.

It's quite easy to cut a screen down, but impossible to put the height back on

Regards and safe riding, John W.
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Thank you, John, for this info.
I'm 5'5" so likely going to need to shorten it...? Have you done this? Do you have a method to share?

Thanks for your helpful hello
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. I'm originally from NY but the part that borders western MA. I keep mine in a large Rubbermaid shed. Keep all my scooter stuff in there as well. Winter riding is a whole another animal. How long have you been riding? I'd keep to the days where there is no ice or any snow on the roads. Don't know what the winters are like down your way but out my way i could never count on all the roads to be perfectly clear. Gonna be some black ice on a shady corner somewhere. Hence the reason i live here now. I can scoot most days. Winter hard rains i don't but give it 4hrs and you can ride again. Muffs are good. They cover you handlebars and brakes. Keeps the wind off your hands. Gets cold even with gloves. Then you can get aprons that cover your legs and lap. Good luck and also welcome to the LX club. Their great little scooters aren't they? I have almost 25k on my '07. All my miles too. 8)
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Nice photo, and welcome to MV! The only thing I'll add to the advice is that one should be aware that tires do not have as much grip on the road surface during periods of extreme cold. Cold rubber has more of a tendency to "skip" a bit than warm rubber.

It will most probably not be a problem unless you ride very hard and fast, but it's still good to know.

Okay, I'll add something else: battery operated heated gloves. Those produced by Gerbing and by Warm-N-Safe are both pretty groovy in cold weather.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
And now for another one-more-thing: sand! After the road crews dump a million tons of the stuff on the roadways during snow/ice storms, the moisture eventually leaves but the sand will remain until a rain washes it off the roadways. It can be a real hazard at intersections and on/off ramps.
@ronin avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400

Addicted
@ronin avatar
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400
UTC quote
Here's a couple of articles that I wrote on preparing my winter scoot. I'm still not planning on actual snow riding, but of course, was out on Saturday and ran into a little squall. The winter tires really make a huge difference in the way that the scoot feels. I would recommend them to anyone who can afford to switch or perhaps pick up a spare set of wheels. Safety first!

http://www.examiner.com/article/scooter-tweaks-for-winter-riding-part-1

http://www.examiner.com/article/scooter-tweaks-for-winter-riding-part-2
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Heidenau K62 rear and a K58 front tires will help also. I have a 62 on my rear which i keep on all year. Our red dirt,when wet, is about as bad as ice. Sand and smashed fruit are too.j
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Here's a screen cut-down link...there is more if you use the Search function, but this should do for starters...

How To: Cut Down a Windscreen

In hot weather, I like the air movement, but when it gets cold, it's just downright cozy behind my screen. FWIW, I'm quite tall, and still cut down my tall screen, so I can look over the top. Some don't mind looking through it (which I did last year), but it's much lovelier seeing things without looking through plastic, especially when wet.

@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
Route 66 Lawdog wrote:
Nice photo, and welcome to MV! The only thing I'll add to the advice is that one should be aware that tires do not have as much grip on the road surface during periods of extreme cold. Cold rubber has more of a tendency to "skip" a bit than warm rubber.

It will most probably not be a problem unless you ride very hard and fast, but it's still good to know.

Okay, I'll add something else: battery operated heated gloves. Those produced by Gerbing and by Warm-N-Safe are both pretty groovy in cold weather.
I'll second Lawdog's advice about tires -- standard tires do not offer the same traction on cold dry roads as they do in warm weather. I see a noticeable difference between my winter tires and the summer ones on dry pavement and in slush and snow. And even with winter tires on dry roads I would never ride "hard and fast" -- meaning aggressive leaning and speeds requiring possible massive braking. For riders, winter means slow.

Be careful. Depending on where you are on Cape Cod you can have the additional challenge of sand blowing around...

Welcome to Modern Vespa!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The Heidenau winter tires have a special compound that increases grip when the temps drop below 10°C. They are very good winter tires.

I mounted a tall windshield and it makes riding in cold weather much more friendly.

You should now that there are many ways to go for winter clothing, and it is easily possible to feel no cold whatsoever. The most sensitive places may be the knees and fingertips. But this can also be solved.

Greetings from Germany and have fun with your new Vespa!
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
UTC quote
+1 on the cut-down windscreen and the winter tires. I have a modified tall screen and Heidenau K66 LT M+S tires on my GTV.

The tires WILL NOT allow you to run in ice and snow with impunity. But they will help with cold road surfaces and if you do have to run in a bit of snow if you have to. You have to be VERY careful running on anything but dry roads.

And do beware of sand and salt debris if they do that kind of thing in your area. The sand builds up on the sides and middle of the roadway and in the gores of turn bays. Hitting that could be just as bad as hitting ice.
My scoot kitted out for Winter
My scoot kitted out for Winter
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Excellent post Mr. K!

To the OP, Nearly everyone of us with the passion in cold country wants to stitch out the season. Being new I'd suggest being on the cautious side. Little mistakes that are easily forgiven on good roads can be instant disasters on winter roads. Get some experience and save the rush for next year is my best advise.
@maestro avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie Super, Honda PCX150

Hooked
@maestro avatar
Vespa 300ie Super, Honda PCX150
UTC quote
As another new rider, I agree with tomjasz; in fact I would go farther and suggest nothing but warm weather daylight riding for at least the first thousand miles! That said, however, there are some great posts on winter riding at "Scooter in the Sticks" (there's a "winter riding" section available on the right side of the screen), including some real nailbiters! Good luck and one more thought: if you can't keep warm, either through wearing lots of layers or electric gear, then don't ride in the cold. Done it and believe me, it's no fun!
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200

Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
UTC quote
Very interesting read for me. I'm in Central California so we don't deal with the snow and ice issues and I would never have thought of the problems with sand and salt so this posting has been informative. I agree with the recommendations that you get a few more summer miles under your belt before spending much time on the winter roads. As for clothing, our winter wear mostly means a change to dark shorts.
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Hi, everyone,

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom!!

I'll try to bulk- reply. (Then I'll re-read the poststo see if I missed anything)

Tires: Doh! I just bought winter tires for my car, I don't know why it didn't occur to me for the Vespa. I'll check them out. Thank you to those who shared what tires they have. Will help me in my online search.

Warmth: My new lap apron and handlebar muffs are en route! I'll see how the muffs work before checking out those nifty-looking battery-charged gloves.

*Judy: as a fellow gal rider, any jacket/pants suggestions?
One of my challenges is that I'm a size 2-4, so the on-line search for jackets has been a frustrating and disappointing one so far.

Windscreen: I have a tall one that came with the bike; still have to install it. The problem will be the cover not fitting over the screen. I can buy another cover, I'm sure... But here's my problem: I have no inside storage. I was all ready to purchase a Speedway shelter, but after reading all of the windshield suggestions, I've held off, as it won't fit with the attached shield.

** Does anyone else have to store their bikes outside?

Sand: Living on Cape Cod, sand is always an issue. And many roads are dirt or hardscrabble, which mind is. But in the winter I will definitely have to watch for it on roads I don't usually expect to find it.

Thanks also for the links and instructions shared. Y'all are such a helpful group; I so appreciate it
With more miles of experience, one day I'll be able to pay it forward here.

I'll let you know what I'm able to follow through on/with.

(And if there are any other outdoor storage tips...)

Happy scooting!

Lynda
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Fledermaus,

Just read the post you pointed me to on cutting down the windscreen. Great post. Now, to ask my friendly neighborhood motorcycle mechanic if he'll do this for me
OP
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
For those of you with the Heidenau winter tires, I'm wondering where you bought them?
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Lyndabee, I'm sure "CycleShell" offers a unit tall enough for your scooter with windshield.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Motorcycle Maniac. You get free shipping and i don't. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon You can try Amazon. They have a store there. Used to be that Amazon was cheaper but they are the same (their website and Amazon) the last time i ordered tires. Wouldn't hurt to check to see if their still the same. You might get lucky. 62 rear and 58 front is the combo.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
lyndabee wrote:
For those of you with the Heidenau winter tires, I'm wondering where you bought them?
Direct from distributor, and from Revzilla for a better price. Remember the snowtex tires are likely going to wear out much faster.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Revzilla didn't have any 62's recently when i ordered. In fact they just now got some 61's in. Motorcycle Maniac has the largest, cheapest selection IMHO. Been using the 62's for years.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
Welcome!

There's a lot to take in when you just bought it, even more when you have to deal with winter!

1) MSF class if you haven't.

2) proper gear makes all the difference. I started with vented jacket, summer gloves, and a 2nd hand helmet/boots. 5 miles each way was killer in cool weather! Now I debate if I want to take the bus only if heavy rain, snow, ice, or sub zero temps are predicted.

3) in the colder temps, a windscreen will make a LOT of difference.

If the tires are currently good on the scoot, I wouldn't worry about 'summer' and 'winter' tires. At least the first season of riding. When it's wintery enough to need special tires, it's dangerous as heck to drive.

Have fun!
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
Revzilla didn't have any 62's recently when i ordered. In fact they just now got some 61's in. Motorcycle Maniac has the largest, cheapest selection IMHO. Been using the 62's for years.
You mean Motorcycle TIRE Maniac? I keep harping but since you keep adding your experience, you and I run Heidenau ALL SEASON tires. If someone where to intend using their scooter when there is snow and ice to be dealt with they probably should run a different tire. The Snowtex range is the WINTER snow and ice version designed for conditions you are not experiencing. Thanks for the lead in to MTM.
BTW I have my Snowtex on a second set of rims. They wear more quickly at speed and in warm conditions.

BTW Merry Merry to you and Nemo. The idea of scooting backroads of Hawaii will always be a dream vacation. I'm excited at the prospect of riding a smaller, 150 class, scooter with good Heidi tires next season.Lower Lumpa is very tropical too, but just for 3 months. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
TOM there are people who use the 58 (Snowtex) year round on their 150's.I trust the people's recommendations. I would throw one on for winter riding. It's a front tire so it will last longer. I have 61's on front and a spare one. When i'm done with those i'll put a 58 on and see how it goes. For me, over here it's more rear. Just looked it up. It's the same store it's also called Motorcycle Maniac Store. Just add a .com and your at the site. Wonder why they have 2 names? Weird. I experience ice like conditions. Sand,red mud and smashed fruit on the roads is as bad or worse than ice. We get these year round. So while i don't get snow per se i do have very slippery roads. I live in the country. Red dirt abounds and when it rains it red mud . Just like ice. Your going to love the 150's. I don't know how you do it with the larger one. MY back can't take it. You should come visit
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Judy. You seem intent on insisting that the all season tires and riding in Hawaii is similar to riding in the frigid north. TEMPERATURE plays a huge role in how the tire compounds track. I guess I'll just STFU and agree to disagree.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0313s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0155s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]