@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Hi all, over the next month I'll be doing some maintainance on my bike. I plan to change the oil and filter, change the gear oil and also the brake fluid.

The brake fluid doesn't completely fill the sight glass and on top of that I have no proof of it being done before (2006 model)

Just for reference if I need to.. Is there a tutorial on here for changing the front pads and or disc?

The bikes on 18500km and the braking seems OK but just want to know for future.

Cheers
@nizzasty avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@nizzasty avatar
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
"Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly..."

I did a bit of perusing around on the MV wiki, but wasn't able to find anything of that nature. This video from youtube may be of some assistance. However, I'm not sure how much of this information differs from your LX 125. My logic would say it couldn't be too much different, but that's not saying much.

Any savvy MV users care to make a contribution to the wiki on this topic?

OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Cheers for the reply mate,

Anyone got a guide on this as I really would like to do it myself
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
lx125man, have you downloaded the UK version of the service manual? It's in the wiki section. Starting on page 205 it explains how to do it. Also, you need to change and bleed the brake fluid every two years. Hope this helps.
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Hachi wrote:
lx125man, have you downloaded the UK version of the service manual? It's in the wiki section. Starting on page 205 it explains how to do it. Also, you need to change and bleed the brake fluid every two years. Hope this helps.
Can't seem to find the uk manual

Have you got the link

Cheers
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Yes

Workshop Manuals

Click on UK link

then click Vespa

then click LX125-LX150ie

Once you get there download to your computer so you will have it when you need it. I hope this helps.
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Hachi wrote:
Yes

Workshop Manuals

Click on UK link

then click Vespa

then click LX125-LX150ie

Once you get there download to your computer so you will have it when you need it. I hope this helps.
Mines not an ie model though, although this shouldn't matter so much for brakes should it ?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's fairly simple to change out the pads. The main problem you might run into is corrossion on some of the parts that hold them into the caliper. As your pads wear, the level of brake fluid in your master cylinder goes down. this is normal, and you don't want to top it off, because then when you try to change out the pads, you will either be unable to compress the pucks, or, if the master cylinder is open, you will have fluid all over the bike. Leave the master cylinder sealed while you are changing out the pads.
Take the caliper off, stick a large flat screwdriver between the pads and compress the pucks all the way into the caliper. Once you have the pads as far apart as possible, remove the pads, and put new ones in. Reinstall the caliper and, THIS IS IMPORTANT, pump the brake handle about five or six times before you take the bike off the centerstand and ride it. Do not squeeze the brake lever until the caliper is installed back on the bike.
If you have not ever gone down to bare metal on the pads, your disc is probably fine, and as far as changing out the fluid, it's like a car, most people don't do it and don't have any problems because they don't do it. Nothing really happens to brake fluid over time, as long as you don't have contaminants getting into the system.
Once you get the caliper back on the bike and pump the brake lever a few times, you will see that the brake fluid level is back up in the master cylinder. You can top it off if you want, but you really don't need to.
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Thank you for the reply, I guess I just wanted to do the fluid as I have no knowledge of it ever being done and it's meant to be every two years so potentially it's been in there for 7 years 😁
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If it's dark - change it. If light-coloured still (it can happen) then leave it alone. Peasy. Razz emoticon
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
If it's dark - change it. If light-coloured still (it can happen) then leave it alone. Peasy. Razz emoticon
Thanks Jim, to be fair it looks as clear as the sight so I had to wobble the handlebars to see it move. I suppose the level should return up when I renew pads.

Is it really that hard to get the pistons back with the reservoir cap left on?
@inchvale avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT125

Hooked
@inchvale avatar
2006 GT125
UTC quote
lx125man,
here is the workshop manual- it covers the LX125 and the LX150IE models, it's not unusual for two models to be covered in one manual:
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Vespa/LX125-150ie/Vespa%20LX125-150ie%20Workshop%20Manual.pdf

This brake fluid flush is something I am thinking of attempting myself over Christmas, but have not done it previously. Here is the wiki article with some good videos on how to do the fluid flush. It's for a GTS but the calipers will be pretty much the same on the LX, you will get the idea: GTS Brake Fluid Flush

Also a search on youtube brought up this-
The trick seems to be to be able to pump the lever and bleed the nipple with just one person. Patience seems to be the word here.
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
inchvale wrote:
lx125man,
here is the workshop manual- it covers the LX125 and the LX150IE models, it's not unusual for two models to be covered in one manual:
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Vespa/LX125-150ie/Vespa%20LX125-150ie%20Workshop%20Manual.pdf

This brake fluid flush is something I am thinking of attempting myself over Christmas, but have not done it previously. Here is the wiki article with some good videos on how to do the fluid flush. It's for a GTS but the calipers will be pretty much the same on the LX, you will get the idea: GTS Brake Fluid Flush

Also a search on youtube brought up this-
The trick seems to be to be able to pump the lever and bleed the nipple with just one person. Patience seems to be the word here.
Cheers, I have actually seen that you tube video and I've already got a bleeder tube with a one way valve
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
lx125man wrote:
Is it really that hard to get the pistons back with the reservoir cap left on?
It shouldn't be hard, the cap is deliberately not completely air-tight. They'll move quite slowly, just keep a constant pressure going with a screwdriver against the old pads.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
well... FINALLY jim and i agree on something... it's only taken, what, seven years? Razz emoticon

-g
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Changing the brake fluid (probably 6yr old) was the best upgrade I did to the LX.
OMG I feel connected to the brakes.

LX pads seem to last forever. Mine had plenty of life at 27000km. I changed them because I had purchased spares and I figure I'll never need to change them again.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Changing the brake fluid (probably 6yr old) was the best upgrade I did to the LX.
OMG I feel connected to the brakes.
Do you believe that changing the brake fluid made the brakes function better, or do you believe that by changing the brake fluid you somehow become more connected to the soul of your Vespa
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
inchvale wrote:
Get a 60cc syringe and push the fluid from the caliper bleed screw to the master cylinder. Much easier and less likely to get air in the lines
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
My brake fluid is clear but the sight glass is definitely not covered completely. (Probably about a third of the way up the sight)

Would you say I could just top up rather than change the fluid fully?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
lx125man wrote:
My brake fluid is clear but the sight glass is definitely not covered completely. (Probably about a third of the way up the sight)

Did you change the pads? If you haven't changed the pads yet, don't add any fluid until you do. If yo have changed the pads, go ahead and top it off.
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
lx125man wrote:

Did you change the pads? If you haven't changed the pads yet, don't add any fluid until you do. If yo have changed the pads, go ahead and top it off.
No not got the pads yet, was thinking there's prob a while left in them as I'm at around 10k km
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
"Probably" doesn't cut it for pad wear - eyeball them! Use a mirror if you can't easily judge how much pad material is left. Different folk wear pads at amazingly different rates...

However back to the fluid - if you haven't changed the pads, don't top up on fluid otherwise you're just giving yourself more work at pad-change time for no advantage.
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
For those that do change their brake fluid I have found that an infant bulb syringe works splendidly for extracting the old brake fluid. Mine cost about a dollar at the discount store.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Good advice from jimc using a mirror to inspect the brake pads. With a small mirror and a flashlight it is easy to do.
Inspect brake pads using a flashlight and a mirror
Inspect brake pads using a flashlight and a mirror
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice guys

Will visually check them first
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
well, got a mirror down there today and I really can't see much meat left on them at all so they must be fairly close to the backing plate...

So I've just ordered a set, for the price they are, it'll be nice to do those at the same time as the other bits I have to do.
@inchvale avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT125

Hooked
@inchvale avatar
2006 GT125
UTC quote
Sorry to jump on here but this brake debate has made me think of replacing my pads also, and I might get a new set of discs for the hell of it.
Purely aesthetic reasons obviously as the OEM discs are probably fine.
Can anyone tell me if the front and rear discs are the same ?
thanks
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
finally plan to get round to doing the pads this weekend
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Sorry to bore you guys with questions but what's the best way to achieve the pet carrier under the frame, get someone to lift handle bars up a little while I put it under?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I kick it under with a foot while lifting the bars...
OP
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
Cheers Jim, I know these questions seem silly but just want to avoid a mishap 😉
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Bit late to this thread but I think the guys at ScooterWest make some great videos for working on the GTS/LX. Here's a link to brake bleeding but from there you can get to their channel (Vespa Motorsport) with the rest. Lots of little tips and trade tricks along the way too...

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.5374s ][ Queries: 9 (0.5217s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]