OP
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC quote
So Wednesday it is a balmy 81 degrees here in Dallas, Tx.
Just your typical December day with a neautiful sun and blue skies.
Well....
Thursday Cleon came in (you bastard) and temps dropped quick.. I mean quick.
Night of Thursday to Friday, ICE cam down. Not snow, no, no.. that would have been too nice, no we had ICE!
1 to 3 inches of Ice came down on Dallas (hell it even made the news in France!), and at 1:00 am Friday morning, guess what?
yup... power went out!!!
Over 270,000 people without power.
All these beautiful old trees damaged with broked limbs or even unearthed for some of them.
Power finally came back on at a6:00 pm last night. A friend of mine still does not have power.
These were some of the coldest temperatures ever registered in Dallas!
The whole city was one big ice rink!
Beautiful but scray.
Trucks were stuck on a local freeway for... 9 hours!!!!!!!
That's how bad it was.

Mark who bought the 946 from me was supposed to go to Germany for vacation with his GF.... Plane skidded down the runway into a ditch.
This was a whole other set of drama right there!!

Hope all that got affected came out ok.
You really don't know appreciate what you have until you miss it!
Good thing we had a fire place.
House was down to 53 degrees with my room down to 45!!!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Yeah, I've been seeing photos from friends in the DFW area though some of them had snow according to the photos they posted. The ice sheets coming off the roof in a Plano are downright scary.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Hope you get warmer soon, Alex. It's, well, interesting trying to stay warm without heat (or enough of it) for a while, then starts feeling a bit more desperate. What a change of temps!

Hope everyone gets through this okay.

Cheryl, that's a pretty big ice dump. I'd hate to own the car that it fell on.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
fledermaus, I've seen a couple of versions of that ice dump caught by people in the apartments opposite in addition to this guy who was across the street outside. I sure am glad that the ice stopped 150 miles north of us. Ice storms in Texas suck even worse than in areas that are more used to them. There you have sand/salt/ice melt/grit or whatever trucks and snow plows something most parts of Texas haven't a clue about.

True story, second Christmas in Texas I had gone to a Christmas party on the other side of town about 40 miles from where I lived at the time. So I stayed with a friend so I wouldn't need to drive home late and could indulge in a bit of adult beverages. I also saw a forecast of high 20s overnight. Another good reason not to be on the roads late since it was drizzling by the time I left my house for the party and not much above freezing at that time. Next morning I walk from my friend's condo to my car to see 2-3" of snow on it and of course a lovely bit of ice on the windshield. So I turn on the defroster and while the car is warming up I pull out my Key Map to find a way home that does not involve freeways (folks here tend to slam their brakes on when they feel any loss of traction which makes it Mr. Toad's wild ride at overpasses). By the time I figured out how I was getting home I reached in the back and pulled out my snow brush-ice scraper now that the defroster had loosened the ice from my windshield. As I was using it a guy came out of the condos and walked towards the parking lot. When he got near me he called out "hey, that's a cool tool. What is it and where do you get it?"
@vespinado avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super

Molto Verboso
@vespinado avatar
'12 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I saw the video from Plano!

On Saturday, we were following a car on the highway when a sheet of ice blew off the roof or hood of the car in front of us.. A big sheet came off and we watched go end over end in the air, right towards us. Crashed 20 feet in font of the Jeep. Glad we weren't following any closer. I kept thinking about what if I had been on the scoot?

Luckily, it was really cold and wet, so no scoot.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
When he got near me he called out "hey, that's a cool tool. What is it and where do you get it?"
Not surprising, I guess. In the Great White North (and Rockies, for that matter) "cool tools" are standard issue....we sometimes have a few per vehicle just so the whole family can join in the fun.

It's always interesting watching people caught in the snow and ice without a clue what to do about it. Of course even up here things can get dicey at the beginning of the season...a lot of accidents yesterday near Milwaukee, including a 50 car pile-up.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
fledermaus.

My "cool tool" was in the car because I'm a skier. Ski racks were permanently mounted in the hatchback hinges on that car which came to Texas with me from southern California. One thing I loved about living in So Cal was the ability to sit by the pool as I did my laundry in the morning then toss my skis on the racks and be skiing at 1pm on 3' of snow. One thing I really missed when I moved to Houston.

Watching the web/tv road cams when there is ice can be quite amusing but you do not want to be out with them.

FWIW, we have at least 1 in every car that we've driven in Colorado often more some with and some without the snow brush end.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
A few years ago my daughter moved to Macomb, IL to attend Western Illinois University.

She got ready to buy her winder clothes down here and I, born and raised in Northern New Jersey, told her to wait until she got up there to do that. I knew they knew what winter clothes were up there. She was glad she did.

She also found an apartment off campus that was only 4 blocks from campus so she could walk if not too cold. There was also a bus that went through campus that stopped in front of her apartment so if the wind chill made it too cold then she could take the bus to campus and back.

She got to where she would call her mom, who is a college graduate, to ask questions that came up about classes and would call me to ask questions that came up about what to do concerning the winter weather.

While I found it strange I was able to find her one of those heavy duty scrapers with the brush on the other end in an AutoZone down here. I also got one for the family car which we used when we went to visit her while she was at school.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Glad your alright and CD i saw that vid last nite on TV. Wow. When i lived in Richmond VA they were terrified of snow but not ice. Wha? emoticon Wha? emoticon Never could figure that one out. Me, i'd take snow any day. 6in of snow and i'd be picked up by the national guard to go to work. Laughing emoticon 6in in NY was a good day. Be safe everyone.
OP
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC quote
Oh I'll take snow with no problem and when it does DFW actually doesn't do too bad.
But ice... forget it... you can't be prepared enough for that....
Unless you have spiked tires, even the best AWD system won't help ya...
@rudechem avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150 Black (Francesco), 2009 LX 150 Portofino Green (Aubrey)
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that

Addicted
@rudechem avatar
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that
UTC quote
Monday Night Football in December in Chicago
If anyone saw that game last night. I live near the stadium. Saw so many people tailgating and thought to myself how stupid that looked. Dallas fans who came up for the game sure didn't like that either. Sat in my living room nice and toasty watching on my Big Ass TV, there was no way i'd be out there.

You could tell some of the Dallas Cowboys wanted nothing to do with that cold. I know Tony Romo is from Burlington Wisconsin and went to Eastern Illinois but you could tell he wanted out of there.

-4 F this morning is nothing to laugh at either. My poor VW didn't like it too much. That's the way things are up here. Ice, Snow, Cold...that's why we enjoy the hell out of summer when it comes!
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
So cold this year
Here in SoCal we are snowed in
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Trade you guys for a Little bit of cold. Frickin HOT here. High humidity and just plain HOT. No trades. I even hate riding past 10am. Don't know how the FLA peeps do it. We had a cool spell so i took out my window fan. It's a bitch to put back together after you clean it. Not going there until spring. cleaning rabbit fur out of it isn't fun either. Crying or Very sad emoticon Stay safe you guys. Idiots on the road are even more dangerous when the roads are bad.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
I like hot weather to ride in, I just won't ride in humid weather or extreme cold. I'm a fair weather ride and proud of it. do you think they make a patch for that
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
Welcome to Winter!
We just like to share it with all you southern people!
Aren't we generous!
@rudechem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@rudechem avatar
UTC quote
Forecast for tomorrow morning
judy wrote:
Trade you guys for a Little bit of cold. Frickin HOT here. High humidity and just plain HOT. No trades. I even hate riding past 10am. Don't know how the FLA peeps do it. We had a cool spell so i took out my window fan. It's a bitch to put back together after you clean it. Not going there until spring. cleaning rabbit fur out of it isn't fun either. Crying or Very sad emoticon Stay safe you guys. Idiots on the road are even more dangerous when the roads are bad.
Forecast for Chicago for air temps at 1-8 Degrees Fahrenheit with Wind Chills in -15 to -20 Degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow.

I'd like some of that Hawaii heat right about now. Really miss summer. Won't see any reasonable temps until April or May.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
Welcome to Winter!
Aren't we generous!
Hey doesn't bother me. We finally hit 40 yesterday for the first time since Saturday and today made it to 50. People down here are suffering, my wife included, but I'm enjoying having to wear a windbreaker over my short sleeve shirt.

The only thing that I don't care for is the humidity. When outside too long, talking 8 hours or more, it chills you to the bone and takes a while to warm up. Of course some of that may have to do with age.

I ride year round. In weather like this I layer. In worst case scenarios my top layer is my rain gear including gloves which come up to my elbows and have elastic at the very top with personal warmers near my body for heat.

I can handle temperatures down into the teens like that. Been living here since 1980 and haven't seen anything lower than that.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
RUD the couch is always available. I can't take winter anymore,hence the move to Hawaii. Hang in there and maybe you'll have a early spring.
OP
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
Welcome to Winter!
Aren't we generous!
That is not winter.. that is just F'ed up that's what it is... lol.

I'll take snow... no problem..
But ice, I don't care where you are from and how much you get winter weather.
ice storm shuts everything down... the whole damn town...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0251s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0120s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]