@rusty_rope avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@rusty_rope avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Joedevola - whilst I fully understand and agree with you, i don't understand why someone would take it so seriously when it's only a supermarket. I've created friendships with some professional people like GP's, barrister/judge, millionaires etc. I greeted all of them the same and none were bothered.

I think when it comes to becomming a cabbie, I'll address the suited and booted as sir/ma'am and the casual tourists/regular joes as mate/darling etc.

The ironic thing about saying the store could lose a customer, I believe he had a store credit card, So If he buys from another store, he'll pay more interest 8) That and the fact the company is owned by the biggest company in the world.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
Rusty rope wrote:
Joedevola - whilst I fully understand and agree with you, i don't understand why someone would take it so seriously when it's only a supermarket. I've created friendships with some professional people like GP's, barrister/judge, millionaires etc. I greeted all of them the same and none were bothered.
I think you mentioned that you were 21? You may not have been exposed to the same upbringing, or perhaps it is a generational thing, but some people do take these things seriously. I was at school today. The lecturer was commenting on the things that ticked her off when marking assignments. She hated poor grammar, punctuation and spelling. She stated that to some, it was not a big deal, but for those who knew how to write, it is a big deal. Similarly, I try to teach my teenage kids table manners. Their comment is 'who cares'. My response is 'the girl who thinks it is important that you are trying to impress when on a date'. I could think of more examples, but hopefully you get my point.

Regarding the comment by fleece above:
Quote:
Respect should never be taken for granted, respect should be earned.
Yes, but in the service industry, it is the business that is trying to earn the respect of the customer. To say the customer has to earn the respect of the business is arse backwards. I would be pretty ticked off if I was a business owner and my staff were not treating customers with respect, resulting in customers taking their business elsewhere. As the owner of a business you can decide to act that way, but not if you are simply an employee.

In short, in a service industry, you have to respect that some people don't like being treated with familiarity.
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
[/quote] Wmak,
How about this one: You are minding your own business at some public place when a gorgeous, tall, leggy twenty-something charges at you squealing, "Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God It's YOU". She embraces you. More squealing, "We had SO MUCH FUN, didn't we? GAWD I miss you!" People begin sideways glances at you. Couples whisper and chuckle in your direction. Women my age glare the "Cradle Robber" glare at you. You smile and try for a "friendly" hug

Then comes the real clincher. Louder than her squeals she demands, "You Do remember me, don't You?" "It's me Angelica Ramirez. You had me for two years!" The "cradle Robber" glare has now turned into the "cradle robbing insensitive bastard I hope you get what you deserve" glare.

The four - feet tall Angelica Ramirez that you recall weighed about seventy pounds and was all elbows and knees (Retired Middle School teacher here). She was a good student and a bit shy; now she would make paint peel right off the walls.

Plan A is to say loudly, for all to hear, something or anything about school days/good student/are you at university?/ blah blah, but she cuts you off, "Gotta go. I really do miss you. Maybe I'll come and see you. Are you still in the same room?" "Bye Mr. F!"

It is nice to be remembered, isn't it?

Mr. F[/quote]

That's awesome, Mr F. ! I have lots of stories due to the job. Not a bad way to spend the time, especially now, since KY has one of the best teacher retirement systems.
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
joshzingzing wrote:
cherry p i e
Either one works for me.
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
Belkwinith wrote:
Also - my BF hates to be called, "Dude" by anyone, especially his own kids.

That makes him insane.
Damn. i call everyone either Hon or Dude. Often both, regardless of gender. Including my siblings.

No, I'm not kidding.

I find "Sir" and "Ma'am" to be so stiff as to be nearly antagonistic in nature. It's how you speak to people when they're jerks and you have to be polite.

"Hon" and "Dude" are sincerely casual and accepting.

(i would actually use "Luv" and "Mate" but people would look at me funny because i'm from bleeping Minnesota)
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Bleeping Minnesota is Bleeping awesome!
I'm from there, too, in case that was hard to tell
Enjoy the snow, mate!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Kiddo ticks me off. I actually had a boss once who called me that all the time.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Kiddo ticks me off.
Saved for future reference.

This thread is gold for forum trolls.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I've always looked younger than my age. One of my clients would constantly address me as sonny or young man or something similarly condescending. I try to be as polite as humanly possible so as not to lose bussiness until one day I couldn't take it anymore and pointed out to him that I happened to know that I was older than him. Telling a woman that she looks young would be flattering but not to me.
UTC

Hooked
BV 500

Hooked
BV 500
UTC quote
kiss
Many businesses require their employees to practically kiss a customer's ass as part of the job. Although necessary, it sometimes is quite difficult when the customer's head is in the way.
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Kiddo ticks me off. I actually had a boss once who called me that all the time.
+1 on that. I'm in my 40's - I'm not a "kiddo" any more!

Also, a colleague of mine always says "good boy". I'm not a boy, or a dog. We're equals doing the same job!

Mate is fine, of course. I'm a Londoner, after all.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0422s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0290s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]