OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Beware of this guy if you are a new owner of a 250 with a 12 inch rear wheel. The tire he is offering is not a standard rear wheel for a 250. It is a car tire. Now it will fit and some of us have used similar tires and liked them but his ebay ad is misleading. Just wanted to put that out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200642159408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I sent him a message the first time he listed it and he ignored me and listed it again.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
This was his response to me just now.
Quote:
A customer of ours told us to list it as a Piaggio and the information is also clearly represented as Tubeless Falken 145/70/R12 tire so all the information has been provided and there is a 14 day return policy.
So who was this customer? Betting it was someone here. You may want to re advise your client.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
He just emailed me that he ended the listing. Probably for the best.
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1843
Location: Floyds Knobs IN
 
Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1843
Location: Floyds Knobs IN
UTC quote
Thanks Sticky for watching out for us "12 inchers" out there!
LOL!
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4308
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4308
Location: Marietta, GA
UTC quote
I am confused...

What he is selling is the same Falken 145/70/12 Tire
I have on one of my MP3/250's.

Its a Mini Cooper Tire.

Am I missing something?

Keith
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
He listed it as a tire for an MP3. He left out that it is a car tire and not designed specifically for an MP3. While it does fit a 250 my warning was for people who may not be aware of the fact it is a car tire.

I told him he shouldn't have pulled it but instead just clarify what it really is, but he decided to pull it anyway.
@thumperfcr avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST
Joined: UTC
Posts: 64
Location: The Hudson Valley- NY - "Always Thinkin"
 
Enthusiast
@thumperfcr avatar
MP3 500 // 91 HD FLHST
Joined: UTC
Posts: 64
Location: The Hudson Valley- NY - "Always Thinkin"
UTC quote
He pulled the ad due to a liability thing. I have heard of auto tires used on 2 wheelers, hense it does not work. In fact you will dump your scoot in a turn. TRACTION PROBLEM !!
@canopus avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 762
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
 
Addicted
@canopus avatar
Mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 762
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
UTC quote
hollybry wrote:
Thanks Sticky for watching out for us "12 inchers" out there!
Sticky was a 12 incher in the past, right?

Now he is a grown up Razz emoticon
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2714
Location: Geneseo, IL (Quad City area)
 
Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2714
Location: Geneseo, IL (Quad City area)
UTC quote
THUMPERFCR wrote:
He pulled the ad due to a liability thing. I have heard of auto tires used on 2 wheelers, hense it does not work. In fact you will dump your scoot in a turn. TRACTION PROBLEM !!
There are many people on this board, myself included, that use a car tire on our MP3s. I can unequivocally say that it will not, in and of itself, cause you to "dump your scoot in a turn."

If you have first-hand knowledge on the subject, please share it. If not, please do not pass off opinions as facts, especially when they've been repeatedly proven untrue on this very board!

Mark
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
THUMPERFCR wrote:
He pulled the ad due to a liability thing. I have heard of auto tires used on 2 wheelers, hense it does not work. In fact you will dump your scoot in a turn. TRACTION PROBLEM !!
There are many people on this board, myself included, that use a car tire on our MP3s. I can unequivocally say that it will not, in and of itself, cause you to "dump your scoot in a turn."

If you have first-hand knowledge on the subject, please share it. If not, please do not pass off opinions as facts, especially when they've been repeatedly proven untrue on this very board!

Mark
Well said.

Also, he pulled the ad because he was getting hassled in his words.


Oh yes I was a 12 clincher for a couple of years and did around 7000 miles on a car tire with it. Now over 10,000 wit a car tire on my 14.
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2592
Location: Kingman, Az.
 
Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2592
Location: Kingman, Az.
UTC quote
THUMPERFCR wrote:
He pulled the ad due to a liability thing. I have heard of auto tires used on 2 wheelers, hense it does not work. In fact you will dump your scoot in a turn. TRACTION PROBLEM !!
Maybe you don't know it but there are hundreds of bikers who have switched to car rear tires to save money world wide. Does this mean they will work on all MCs? No, but many riders with big heavy cruisers or touring bikes have made the switch with no regrets. I have put car rear tires on both my 250 & 400 MP3s. If I could find some car tire that would fit my rear maxi- scooter Aprilia 500 scooter I'd switch it's too, but none are available. Just because this change is not recommended does not automatically mean it's dangerous as you suggest. Razz emoticon I've ridden my 400 MP3 on all kinds of paved road conditions and have found my CRT to give me a smoother ride, better rain protection, and last a lot longer. I've been riding for over 50 years.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1312
Location: Longview,Texas 75604
 
Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1312
Location: Longview,Texas 75604
UTC quote
THUMPERFCR wrote:
He pulled the ad due to a liability thing. I have heard of auto tires used on 2 wheelers, hense it does not work. In fact you will dump your scoot in a turn. TRACTION PROBLEM !!
substantiate you claim!! A fact is a fact!! give us the facts and the proof!!
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1312
Location: Longview,Texas 75604
 
Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1312
Location: Longview,Texas 75604
UTC quote
I called him and he was very nice. I encouraged him to put the add back up but to rewrite it. He said he would.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento
 
Hooked
MP3 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento
UTC quote
Yup, same guy we talked about last month
Dishonest Tire Ad

And he wants $100 when you can get it for $79.95 here
http://www.7ent.com/products/145-70-12-falken-sincera-swt0129.html

ROD
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4308
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4308
Location: Marietta, GA
UTC quote
rrounds wrote:
Yup, same guy we talked about last month
Dishonest Tire Ad

And he wants $100 when you can get it for $79.95 here
http://www.7ent.com/products/145-70-12-falken-sincera-swt0129.html

ROD
The $79.95 is Plus Shipping, and this is where I purchased mine...

When you add in the shipping, it was over $100 for me to Atlanta, GA.
So in all faireness to the fellow that had the post on Ebay, I would buy my next one from him.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
I called him and he was very nice. I encouraged him to put the add back up but to rewrite it. He said he would.
Hope he gets a dose of reality.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento
 
Hooked
MP3 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
rrounds wrote:
Yup, same guy we talked about last month
Dishonest Tire Ad

And he wants $100 when you can get it for $79.95 here
http://www.7ent.com/products/145-70-12-falken-sincera-swt0129.html

ROD
The $79.95 is Plus Shipping, and this is where I purchased mine...

When you add in the shipping, it was over $100 for me to Atlanta, GA.
So in all faireness to the fellow that had the post on Ebay, I would buy my next one from him.
The guy on Ebay wants $25 for shipping so his would be $125 to the house.
Price: US $100.00
Shipping: $25.00 Standard Shipping

ROD
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
I called him and he was very nice. I encouraged him to put the add back up but to rewrite it. He said he would.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161172058608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Looks like he took your advice. The title is still misleading. I actually rewrote the title for him and sent it but I guess he didn't like it. But at least he added this in the description:
Quote:
This is a car tire but works fine on a Piaggio MP3.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@argonaut avatar
UTC

Member
Piaggio MP3 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
 
Member
@argonaut avatar
Piaggio MP3 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
UTC quote
I have used two of these "car" tires on the rear of my MP3 for the past 25,000 miles and will be getting another when the second is gone. I think it is vastly superior to the regal tires. I have never had a problem with them and in the rain, they can't be beat.
@hamonthree avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250 (His) LX150 (Hers)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1014
Location: Stoughton, Wisconsin
 
Molto Verboso
@hamonthree avatar
MP3 250 (His) LX150 (Hers)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1014
Location: Stoughton, Wisconsin
UTC quote
Probably going to show exactly how chicken I am to do this, but one thing I have been meaning to ask is that if you choose to put a car tire on the back, are you stuck with doing it yourself? That is one thing that I just won't do. I am really paranoid about tires. I leave that to pros.

And this coming from a guy that shimmed all his brakes. :-/

Another question I thought of. Since the car tires are basically flat bottomed, doesn't that create kind of a "notch" when cornering? I would think you would get a "thud" when you returned to straight up.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
HamOnThree wrote:
Probably going to show exactly how chicken I am to do this, but one thing I have been meaning to ask is that if you choose to put a car tire on the back, are you stuck with doing it yourself? That is one thing that I just won't do. I am really paranoid about tires. I leave that to pros.

And this coming from a guy that shimmed all his brakes. :-/

Another question I thought of. Since the car tires are basically flat bottomed, doesn't that create kind of a "notch" when cornering? I would think you would get a "thud" when you returned to straight up.
No. There may be some mc shops that are leery but if you tell them it is for a hack they usually are good. If not take it to a car tire place. They normally don't give a crap.

For your second question. There is no notch. It leans over like any mc tire but there is a bit more counter steer input needed. Not a lot but it is different. There is no thud when returning to upright because you are never off the flat of the bottom. In other words you are never riding on the sidewall and having to transition to the flat. You just come right up normally. Youtube darkside tire and there are numerous videos that show what I am talking about.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0192s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]