@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
So do you find that since not having a car your driving is getting worse and you hate driving one? I really hate driving one now. Way to many gadgets and i don't like being strapped in. Weird. I use a car maybe 6 times a year max. Really noticed a change. I was an excellent driver and loved driving but not now. My dad didn't want to teach me,no patience. My mom had patience but she didn't like driving so he took me to the Lime Rock racetrack and had the pros teach me. What a fun experience. My dad relived his youth thru me. Laughing emoticon However i would caution all parents that if you want your kids to keep their Dl,do not have them taught by a race car driver and get them a sports car for their graduation from college gift. Nerd emoticon Laughing emoticon Took 3 months for me to get mine pulled but thankfully the judge let me keep my NY one (i was moving to VA to work the next day). No computers back then and i immediately got one when i hit VA. I sorta learned my lesson. Only a few more over the years. Right before i got my DL they lowered the speed limits. Just my luck. I'm most happy these days riding my scooter. Way more fun. Just wondering if i'm the only weird one.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
I don't mind driving a car as long as it's a "fun" car. I hated my wife's Honda Civic... YAWN! But when she had the MINI Cooper it was a lot more fun to drive. I still drive regularly because when my wife and I go someplace together we take her car and I drive about 1/2 the time. The biggest difference with driving and riding that I notice, is that I don't get as much "parking practice". I have to concentrate more to get the car well placed in the parking spot. Debbie traded her MINI for a Subaru BRZ in October. THAT is a fun car to drive. I've actually considered buying one for myself. It would be my first new car since 1986. I'm waiting to see if they build a STi version with at turbo or supercharger next year.

-Craig
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I don't mind driving a car as long as it's a "fun" car. I hated my wife's Honda Civic... YAWN! But when she had the MINI Cooper it was a lot more fun to drive. I still drive regularly because when my wife and I go someplace together we take her car and I drive about 1/2 the time. The biggest difference with driving and riding that I notice, is that I don't get as much "parking practice". I have to concentrate more to get the car well placed in the parking spot. Debbie traded her MINI for a Subaru BRZ in October. THAT is a fun car to drive. I've actually considered buying one for myself. It would be my first new car since 1986. I'm waiting to see if they build a STi version with at turbo or supercharger next year.

-Craig
its coming
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport
UTC quote
I found after getting my scoots, I don't drive nearly as much. Now that it winter, I have no choice, but when it is warm, about the only time I really drive is if I know I am going to have to carry more bags than I can carry on a scoot or if it is raining. Otherwise, I'm on my scoot.

There was a point during the summer that I don't think I moved my car for about two weeks and it was utterly weird getting back in the driver seat. It felt so disconnected and cumbersome.

If I lived in a place with better weather, I definitely would consider getting rid of one of our cars.
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
I haven't owned a car since 2007. I occasionally rent one for longer trips. It is a rare enough occurrence that I find I enjoy it and my skills haven't withered. My girlfriend may not agree as I keep shifting her Subaru into 5th when I'm searching for 3rd but I blame the car Razz emoticon
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
I don't mind driving a car. My wheels are the scooter while my wife mainly drives the family car, an 06 Chrysler Town & Country. If I need to use the van I take my wife to work and pick her up. It doesn't happen often.
@canopus avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mp3 500

Addicted
@canopus avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Debbie traded her MINI for a Subaru BRZ in October. THAT is a fun car to drive.
I tried the Subaru BRZ, but don't like the turbo feeling, I prefer progressive push.

This spring I got a new Miata... and yeah, that's fun to drive

I think that, since I ride, I'm better driver: now I'm a lot more aware of the surroundings, and pay attention to the rear mirrors to see if any bike is coming so I make room for them.
@lothar avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT 200L

Addicted
@lothar avatar
Vespa GT 200L
UTC quote
When it is too cold........like now, I take one of my cars. I agree with Judy, that most new cars have too much gadgetry. However I have a cure for that. For local destinations where I would normaly use my Vespa, when the weather is not right, I drive my old 1973 VW bus. Almost as much fun as the Vespa. That vehicle has absolutly nothing that is not needed, except fun!
@rudechem avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150 Black (Francesco), 2009 LX 150 Portofino Green (Aubrey)
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that

Addicted
@rudechem avatar
2009 LX 150 Black (Francesco), 2009 LX 150 Portofino Green (Aubrey)
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that
UTC quote
More Driver than Rider
I really like driving. I like having a small car that can travel close distances and travel far distances just as well. I got my Scoot because I wanted it not because I needed it.

I live in a big city that you can travel rather closely to get things but I work far enough now that I need my car to get on the Expressway. I think all the cool city things that are better to get at during the summer makes me love my Vespa. But also having the ability to have a fuel efficient car during freezing weather and snow makes me love having my car too.

I guess I like both. I like options more than anything.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Horses for courses. We have four vehicles only one of which carries more than two people.

Lexus - taking a crowd in comfort
Jag - just for fun
Dodge truck - carrying lots of stuff
Scooter - fair weather fun

A brief aside: as all of the vehicle are capable of exceeding the speed limit we try to confine ourselves to one 'zoom' per trip. I.e. an energetic depression of the accelerator to relieve any depression in the driver.
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
UTC quote
Judy, I'm in the same boat. I commute to work and pretty much everywhere else solely on scooter or MC, and drive the car occasionally on the weekends. My wife has to keep reminding me "you're not driving a scooter" because I do jackrabbit starts and stops, and find myself angling to lane split between cars at lights sometimes! Razz emoticon But the worst part is I no longer can park a car worth a damn. I used to be an excellent parker, always hit the space dead-center, could get into tight spots, and parallel parking was my specialty. Now I'm a disaster. I get out and the car is crooked in the spot and way over on one side. It's gotten to the point where my wife is totally embarassed by my parking and doesn't want to let me drive anywhere.

-Dan
@techenigma avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@techenigma avatar
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I lost my truck to a vandal about 4 years ago. It was a total loss, got my insurance check and picked up my GT200. Maybe a year later got my GTS, and six months ago got my BV. I haven't had a car for all that time. Last time I drove was when I rented a truck to drop my GT at Vespa Motorsport for a rebuild and picked up my BV.

I only drive a car if entirely necessary i.e. when I need to transport one of the scoots for engine work or something. Outside of that I have a good wardrobe of riding gear for any climate and feel most comfortable on two wheels. I love being so maneuverable, being able to lane split, and feel much more connected. The majority of my enjoyment of riding is the feel of the air, the minute differences you can feel in temperate change, the smells, the sights and the perspective you have... Its the lack of all of that that makes me avoid being in a cage.

I don't own a car anymore, and preferably will never own one again. I ride everywhere and anywhere and neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail will keep me off two wheels. I live in So Cal anyways it never gets too cold here, and I see maybe 15 days of actual rain a year.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
canopus wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
I tried the Subaru BRZ, but don't like the turbo feeling, I prefer progressive push.

Yeah. The BRZ has a real flat torque curve until you hit around 4,200 RPM. That's when it gets interesting. I'd prefer a supercharger because even after adding a turbo, you'd list have a bit of a flat spot down low. A supercharger would really wake that motor up. There are a number of kits available, but I'm not sure I could pass emissions inspection after adding one of those.

-Craig
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
I find that my parallel parking is AWFUL, and squeezing a car through narrow gaps is done with a lot less confidence than before i started scooting (and hardly drive a car now).
On the other hand I think my general road sense is better for having some years on a PTW, so overall I'm happy.
@roggerdavid avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 Vespa P200e - 1962 Lambretta TV175 - 1977 Vespa Rally 200 - 1990 Honda S50

Hooked
@roggerdavid avatar
1980 Vespa P200e - 1962 Lambretta TV175 - 1977 Vespa Rally 200 - 1990 Honda S50
UTC quote
time changes everything
I have gone from having two cars(5yrs), to one car(6mths), to one car and scooter(2yrs), to a car and 2 scooters(5mths), two cars and one scooter(1yr) and now back to one car and one scooter(3mths). I drive my scooter as much as possible but when I need to include my son or daughter it's impossible.
I loved driving two cars I had in the past, my 85' Chevrolet Swift (Suzuki Forsa) and my 98' Ford Countor SVT. I really don't mind getting in a car and going to point b with the family, but the mindset is completely different. I think the less distracting the ride is the more fun it becomes. The only distraction I like is music.
I have slowed down a lot my car driving since I have a scooter, but my scooter driving is a lot faster than my car driving for some odd reason Razz emoticon
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
canopus wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:

Yeah. The BRZ has a real flat torque curve until you hit around 4,200 RPM. That's when it gets interesting. I'd prefer a supercharger because even after adding a turbo, you'd list have a bit of a flat spot down low. A supercharger would really wake that motor up. There are a number of kits available, but I'm not sure I could pass emissions inspection after adding one of those.

-Craig
you could always let a family member technically own it in another state.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
canopus wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:

-Craig
you could always let a family member technically own it in another state.
I don't have a close family member in a state that doesn't have similar requirements for emissions testing.

-Craig
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
DAN exactly. I speed on my scooter and nobody bothers me. Can't get away with that in a car. Were kindred souls on the scooters. BB me too and my depth perception has gotten worse. doesn't help that i use a different car every time i need one. If it's your own car you know what you can do but not when it's different every time. Some cars have long back ends some small. However ,like you my road sense is much better. Also more aware of PYW'S more than when i didn't ride.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
I drive my truck less but still drive it. Just as good a driver as ever, can back a 25' travel trailer into any spot that it will fit.
But, I have claustrophobia and that seems to be getting worse since riding. The truck is not a problem as it is huge inside, but my wife's car, or any car for that matter, I have been having issues. Can't ride in the back seat and can't have any bulky clothes on like a winter coat.
@the_professor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500

Enthusiast
@the_professor avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500
UTC quote
roggerdavid wrote:
I really don't mind getting in a car and going to point b with the family, but the mindset is completely different. I think the less distracting the ride is the more fun it becomes. The only distraction I like is music. I have slowed down a lot my car driving since I have a scooter, but my scooter driving is a lot faster than my car driving for some odd reason Razz emoticon
Since beginning to use my scoot more for either commuting or just for pleasure riding, I notice that my cruise control when I'm in the Family Truckster 3000 is usually set right at the speed limit or maybe 1 mile over, because what's the rush! Now on the scoot, I may be tempted to open it up every now and again, but I justify it that I am just trying to get clear of other vehicles!! Plus, who would believe something so tiny could go that fast!!
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
After 9 months of being car-free, I ended up having to get a work truck. It's a love/hate relationship. Picking up multi-hundred pound clay orders and schlepping everything for a craft fair requires a cage. The furry kid has arthritis and so a vehicle is necessary for the vet and when I need to kennel her.

I don't enjoy the times I'm in the truck. I justify taking it for long distance trips in winter (sub-freezing 200+ mile trips) because I know how much that kind of riding wipes me out the next day with my current setup.

I have found that the visibility difference between two wheels and a cage frustrates me to no end. I feel like I'm driving blind half the time and probably cuss the automobile designers more than I know when I'm in the truck. I'd say my driving got much more reserved. I try to get every mpg I can and am in much less of a hurry than I was before going car-free. I will admit going downtown just about makes me panic in the truck. That's a new development. The lanes just don't feel big enough! "I want my scooter" usually gets mumbled a few times. Laughing emoticon
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
CHESHIRE me too. I have a sick animal but am lucky i can borrow a car if i need it. Friend owns a dive shop. I can even borrow a van (God forbid on that one tho). I'm slower too because cops will give tickets to cars but not scooters. 8) At least out by me. I'm looking for ways to go around things,bitching because i have to pay to park or park far away. I'm a wreck also. Just give me my scooter and i'm happy. Even if i get rained on. Laughing emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
It wasn't until halfway through my scootering career that I even learned to drive a car. I didn't do any damage, didn't break any laws, but I pretty much suck at it. I'll just stick to scoots, thankyouverymuch.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
i used to be a dab hand with a stick shift - after 16 years in London, driving a car on average three or four times a year, i'm 'a little rusty'.

we rent a car when we go skiing in Austria every year, and on one occasion i spent about half an hour trying to find the damn handbrake before figuring out that it had to be activated and released in combination with a short tap on the footbrake. that wasn't the most intuitive setup ever
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
I don't mind driving. I love riding. Therein lies the difference.
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
UTC quote
I hardly ever drive my car anymore, but I don't see selling it that soon. It's paid for and basically I just have to buy insurance every year. I never use it on local errands (except when it's raining), but every once in a while I have to take a longer journey and it really comes in handy having a "strong running" car. (If you never saw the movie "Wise Blood," where I got that expression, I recommend it.)
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Hi Judy,
I have a car because in the Black Forest of Germany we have often snow.

I think a car is boring, and I get sick and tired of waiting at traffic lights.

As you know living in Hawaii, tourists are welcome, but can be a pita. We have them too, just they are too slow in traffic with all of the scenery looking, and lots of folks are loaded from alcohol.

I ride when the weather permits a safe journey, the temps do not bother me.

No traffic jams, no parking stress, just fun. What a nice riding area!

My car is a VW Golf in good condition. It will last probably longer than I will live at it's present stage of usage.

So, let's ride.
@superk2 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red

Addicted
@superk2 avatar
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red
UTC quote
The temperatures dipped below 30 degrees for about a week here in the Pacific Northwest, so I didn't ride. I hate driving now. I'm spoiled by my scooter. Absolutely ruined for cage driving.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
ROBERT yes let's ride. Unfortunately cars don't do well here if they sit. Our salt air eats things. Because i didn't use my car i had to constantly replace things. Got expensive. Decided to sell it and borrow a car. Friends enjoy a free tank of gas. I about have a heart atack when it cost over $50 to fill up tho.
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
UTC quote
I don't understand why people still own cars in Los Angeles with the Metro, buses, Uber, Lyft, bicycles, shuttles, zipcar, ridesharing and legs.
@betrredthanded avatar
UTC

Hooked
'09 GTS 250 '13 Guzzi V7 Special

Hooked
@betrredthanded avatar
'09 GTS 250 '13 Guzzi V7 Special
UTC quote
Judy,

I sold my car a few months ago after spending a year primarily moving it from one side of the street to the other for street cleaning. Last week during the big chill I had a bad cough and most of my commuting is at night to classes. My significant other shared her car with me while temperatures plummeted here in socal at night. I'm not a complete winter wimp, having lived in North Dakota and Minnesota for a couple of winters, but it was cold for Cali. Anyway, I'm glad when I was sick she came through with a shared ride for me.

It was kinda nice to check out NPR on the commute since I don't use earbuds on the scoot. But now I'm back to the scooter life. To tell the truth, I hate commuting no matter how wheels are involved. But then LA traffic is a bitch. Hawaii traffic I could get used to....
@thewasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yes, I am a scooter model

Hooked
@thewasp avatar
Yes, I am a scooter model
UTC quote
I hate driving now. Where I live you can park a Ferrari in my driveway for a week next to a Chinese POS scooter and I would take the scooter every time, much less a good scooter like a Vespa. I might take the Ferrari to work the first day just for the novelty of it and to drive a Ferrari. But the first light I come to backed up for even 5mins?

My mind is already on a bike. Any bike!!

Driving if alone with nothing big to haul is for suckers wiling to pay $150,000 for a car that I can easily ride circles around on a $2,000 scooter, and have more fun doing it then being stuck in traffic all morning!! ROFL emoticon
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
RED sorry you were sick. Commuting in traffic is no fun on anything. We have some pretty gnarly traffic here but it's usually warm and sunny. However on a scooter you can get around things and speed a little which gets you their faster. Laughing emoticon WASP so true. We have a Ferrari and Lamborghini dealer here. Wha? emoticon Really? We have 3 free ways. One is about 20 miles long,2is about 8 and 3 maybe 8 also. By the time you got to 5th gear in those cars you'd be in the ocean. For that kinda money one could have 20 of every bike Piaggio made and then some. Laughing emoticon
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
noeltazz wrote:
I don't understand why people still own cars in Los Angeles with the Metro, buses, Uber, Lyft, bicycles, shuttles, zipcar, ridesharing and legs.
Because not all of those things run on one's personal schedule. I am surprised there aren't more scooters, though. Maybe I just don't ride where everybody else does. I think I've only seen half a dozen actually out in traffic since Sunday.
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
In rain and foul weather I drive my truck, I ride the scooter to work and some shopping when I know I won't get large items. I don't enjoy driving as much because of back problems, strangely enough my back isn't bothered by riding the scoot. Has somerthing to do with putting pressure between the shoulder blades.
@drscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL 2010 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@drscooter avatar
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL 2010 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I'll go with the thought that I don't mind driving a car but I really love riding a motor-bike. I've had a Prius for about 3 years and while it is a funny looking car with less than road race manners I really like it. I don't drive it to get the ultimate mpg but even zipping around I get around 47 mpg so a tank goes a couple weeks. Considering a tank of gas if one pushes it is really good for 500+ miles with a 12 gallon tank it makes my old Honda Civic seem like a gas-guzzler. For some reason it "seems" like the cops just won't pull you over for speeding in a Prius. Mind you if I want to get pulled over my wife has a red Miata but I don't drive her Miata that much, don't know if it is because it is an automatic or the entrance and exit the car requires. All that said and as much as I love scooters and motorcycles if I can avoid rain or when it gets too cold I'm in the cage.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
DR they will over here. Laughing emoticon Don't bother scooters tho. One day a prius and i were hauling ass coming thru the center on the island road. Cops had radar out and motioned for the prius to pull over and when i went to follow the prius they motioned me to go on. Laughing emoticon COKER. me too on the back. I think it's because we can move around more. Being seat belted in and not being able to move or change positions makes my back hurt. My pain management doc agrees with my theory.
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I had a couple of eye surgeries and riding my Vespa is much easier on me. My Chevy S10 Blazer's battery is dead and the car sits in my driveway. Gonna donate it someday. What I miss about driving a car is that I can't go kayaking anymore. The Chevy was set up with racks and ready to go at a moments notice. Last time I drove was two years ago just to move the car. I do have an old Karmann Ghia that needs major work...or should I just get a new scooter/MC?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0336s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0159s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]