OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
UTC quote
What cager behavior gets you the most livid and under your skin?

Driver's not using turn signals really annoys the sh*t out of me. I see cars here cross like three or four lanes with no turn signals. It is almost like they are optional on cars around here.

The other thing that really annoys me is drivers who decide to try to make a left hand turn in the worst places. It is almost like they are completely clueless and unaware of their surroundings and traffic. The turn itself may be legal, but no person who is moderately paying attention would attempt to do so. Simply turning right and finding a better spot to turn aroudn would be more appropriate.

Finally, I can't stand the idiots who "block the box" at intersections. My commute winds up being at least 15 minutes longer or more because these idiots can't help getting caught in the middle of an intersection and blocking the opposing traffic. It is like they are too stupid to pay attention to the cars and light ahead of them to recognize if they go into the intersection, they are likely to be stuck there.
@nomad68 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Back on a 125cc!

Molto Verboso
@nomad68 avatar
Back on a 125cc!
UTC quote
On the phone while driving
@rudechem avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150 Black (Francesco), 2009 LX 150 Portofino Green (Aubrey)
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that

Addicted
@rudechem avatar
2009 LX 150 Black (Francesco), 2009 LX 150 Portofino Green (Aubrey)
Location: Chicago proper, not the burbs...not that there's anything wrong with that
UTC quote
Amen
I'm a Chicago Driver.

With the addition of Bicyclists who don't follow traffic rules. I'm with you 100%.

Oh, and the guy with the High Beams on right behind me to blind me on the Expressway. That one actually pissed off my fiance where she gave a guy the finger (she's a school teacher and extremely patient driver).
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
This. I took this yesterday at Kirkland's in St. Augustine. Limited number of close parking spots so this asshat takes two of them.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
folk driving like robots, responding to their sat-nav instructor / remote controller
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
Texting of course. But almost equally annoying are people who stop 3 or 4 car lengths behind the car in front of them at a red light.
@piglet avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV250, PX150 & LX50

Hooked
@piglet avatar
GTV250, PX150 & LX50
UTC quote
Getting passed where passing is illegal just because I'm doing the speed limit and they assume I can't go any faster.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
This. I took this yesterday at Kirkland's in St. Augustine. Limited number of close parking spots so this asshat takes two of them.
I used to have some small business cards and fake parking tickets that I would put on people's windows. It just said, "assholes like you need to take the bus. Park between the lines next time."

In regards to parking, I hate when someone leaves too big of gaps between cars when parrallel parking. So you have these huge gaps in between the cars when if the offending car had just pulled up say another 3 or 5 feet, another car could easily have enough room to parrallel park behind the offending car.
@llitten avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@llitten avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Where to begin...
Really there are so many...
Though I'm sure in the process of my (slow) typing of this someone else may come up with some of the same (so sorry, if I am repeating...)

Improper turn signal use is probably my #1. Ranging from leaving them on when not needed to that last minute use a half second before the turn or lane change or of course not using them at all... In my mind turn signals should be used to let others know what you are going to be doing since its not usually possible to read others minds.

2nd, I dont know if its just a FL thing, but in bad (rainy) weather drivers will use their hazzard lights (blinkers) to indicate that they are going slower. The main thing that bugs me about this is I undersand the need to use your hazards if you need to go slower than the general traffic around you... But when *everybody* is going 30mph under the posted speedlimit I dont think they are needed. And since they use the same lights as your turn signals when a car actually needs to change lanes it does not indicate. (its not as if they are going to use hand signal in the downpour)

Lastly, horn use in anger. I understand it is important to use your horn as warning or to give a heads up. But to lay on the horn just b/c you are p'ed off just makes me p'ed off
OK rant over...
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
UTC quote
The two worst and most dangerous are the illegal, unsignalled, mid-block u-turn, and (this one mostly applies to NYC cabbies) suddenly changing lanes and coming to a complete stop right in front of you.

Brendan
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Re: Where to begin...
llitten wrote:
Really there are so many...
Though I'm sure in the process of my (slow) typing of this someone else may come up with some of the same (so sorry, if I am repeating...)

Improper turn signal use is probably my #1. Ranging from leaving them on when not needed to that last minute use a half second before the turn or lane change or of course not using them at all... In my mind turn signals should be used to let others know what you are going to be doing since its not usually possible to read others minds.

2nd, I dont know if its just a FL thing, but in bad (rainy) weather drivers will use their hazzard lights (blinkers) to indicate that they are going slower. The main thing that bugs me about this is I undersand the need to use your hazards if you need to go slower than the general traffic around you... But when *everybody* is going 30mph under the posted speedlimit I dont think they are needed. And since they use the same lights as your turn signals when a car actually needs to change lanes it does not indicate. (its not as if they are going to use hand signal in the downpour)

Lastly, horn use in anger. I understand it is important to use your horn as warning or to give a heads up. But to lay on the horn just b/c you are p'ed off just makes me p'ed off
OK rant over...
I was going to post about horn use. I swear, the other day I was having one of those moments where in an alternate universe I got out of my car and stomped the doo doo out of the driver behind me. This moron would literally honk his horn at EVERY FREAKING stop light. The light would turn green and sure enough, he would honk his horn as to tell everyone to hurry up and go. It wasn't like people were sitting at the light not paying attention either.

I think this is a Chicago thing, but cars passing on the right drives me nuts. Drivers like to filter on the right in the parking lane to try to get ahead of stopped traffic and then drag race you when the light turns green so they can cut back over before the parking lane gets blocked again. It drives me nuts because these guys aren't saving anytime, but all you see is this guy dipping in and out of traffic and squeeling tires at stop lights or damn near running the red light because they keep creeping into the intersection to get the jump on you before the light turns green. Most are too dense to realize they haven't made any progress whatsoever in getting to their destination any faster.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
I don't have any hard statistics with which to back this up, but it seems to me that recently an awful lot of cagers are driving much nicer cars than me, which is really annoying.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
Here's a seasonal one I saw yesterday...jackasses who don't clean the snow off their car. They just hop in, run their front wipers and figure that's good enough. Not only can they not see through their snow covered windows, but their headlights are useless when they don't clean those off either. They become a rolling blizzard creating a whiteout behind them when they hit 25MPH, and then wonder why I go past them, cut them off and slam on my brakes
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
I have mellowed to the point of realizing that here is behavior by others that I can't change, and just stay alert to protect myself from them. Life is too short to allow myself to be aggravated by what I can't control.

Now, when our son pulled out his damn Blackberry while driving with us in the car, he did get an earful from me, but it hasn't happened since. At least not when me or Mrs Av are in the car with him. The nervous twitch when the notification or ringtone goes off is so delightful to watch. Almost like he needs to get to a restroom in a hurry.
UTC

Hooked
piaggio hexagon

Hooked
piaggio hexagon
UTC quote
Tailgaters who flash their lights at you to move over and let them pass when you`re in a queue of traffic with vehicles in front of you. And (usually at road works) drivers who ignore all the advance signs to move into the appropriate lane, and then force their way in at the last moment.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Creeping after a stop. I finally broke the Lovely of the habit. Phones and speeding on residential streets are in the top three.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
hexatony wrote:
drivers who ignore all the advance signs to move into the appropriate lane, and then force their way in at the last moment.

you just know that you wouldn't like that person if you met him (generally a him)
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
speeding on residential streets are in the top three.

yep, that's near the top
@mutt_the_hoople avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Buddy Pamplona 50cc, Vespa GTV 250ie

Molto Verboso
@mutt_the_hoople avatar
Buddy Pamplona 50cc, Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
All of the above.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
fleece wrote:
hexatony wrote:
drivers who ignore all the advance signs to move into the appropriate lane, and then force their way in at the last moment.

you just know that you wouldn't like that person if you met him (generally a him)
Actually they're doing the right thing according to the Highway Code by continuing in their lane until it ends and then merging in turn. It's been discussed recently on MV as not only being the rule in many places, but also the most efficient way of getting traffic through a lane closure.
@skymed avatar
UTC

Hooked
Excalibur Silver 2007 GTS 250: "Merlin"

Hooked
@skymed avatar
Excalibur Silver 2007 GTS 250: "Merlin"
UTC quote
[quote="Aviator47"]I have mellowed to the point of realizing that here is behavior by others that I can't change, and just stay alert to protect myself from them. Life is too short to allow myself to be aggravated by what I can't control.

Amen to that
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
fleece wrote:
hexatony wrote:

Actually they're doing the right thing according to the Highway Code by continuing in their lane until it ends and then merging in turn. It's been discussed recently on MV as not only being the rule in many places, but also the most efficient way of getting traffic through a lane closure.
doesn't make them any less of a wanker

@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.

@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
fleece wrote:
jimc wrote:
fleece wrote:
hexatony wrote:

doesn't make them any less of a wanker
What Jim says makes perfect sense if the lane is ending, but often the lanes are merely splitting and there is a lot of traffic creeping along in the two lanes heading off to the left, but not much in the lane that is splitting off to the right (obviously reversed in UK). The assholes pretend they are heading off in the less-trafficky direction until the last second and then go so far as to stop in the middle of the free-flowing lane with their signal on, completely blocking it, creating a real hazard for the traffic coming up behind them, and pissing everyone off until some "kind soul"/sucker lets them in.
UTC

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007
UTC quote
Cager behavior
The ones who like to ride your ass , like 20 ft behind. And cagers who are oblivious to motorcyclists and have a one track mind to look only for fellow cagers.
⚠️ Last edited by DavidHerring on UTC; edited 1 time
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
I have mellowed to the point of realizing that here is behavior by others that I can't change, and just stay alert to protect myself from them. Life is too short to allow myself to be aggravated by what I can't control.
Me, too.

Most of the time.

I often see expensive cars taking two parking spaces. I assume it's because the owner doesn't want to have their precious get dings on the doors. Now, if they parked in the back of the lot where there are no other cars, great. But they also always seem to take two prime parking spaces.

This makes me want to key their car.

I would never do it.

But I want to.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.

different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
I would never do it.

But I want to.
That thin line that separates.
@nizzasty avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@nizzasty avatar
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Re: Where to begin...
llitten wrote:
OK rant over...
Isn't that kind of equivalent to us/motorcycles giving the rev at an unaware pedestrian or a stupid cager? Understandable though.
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
I would never do it.

But I want to.
That thin line that separates.
I have to admit, I've tripped over that line once or twice
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
Creeping after a stop. I finally broke the Lovely of the habit. Phones and speeding on residential streets are in the top three.
Yep this. Especially when the car in front of you stops 4 car lengths too soon then creeps. So wish filtering was legal in Florida...or at least not illegal.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
changing lanes in the middle of an intersection
right on red when traffic is heavy or pedestrians present
not pulling to the right (into the bike lane) when turning right
passing on the right
slower (even if fast) traffic not yielding to faster traffic
honking

Most days on my walk to the store and back I see at least one act that, were it not for the kindness of others to yield, would result in a collision or even vehicular manslaughter. I often wonder if the offending driver is even aware of the kindness.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
I lose my mind when people are smoking and driving and then flick the butt out of the window. It's not really a driver behavior as much as a smoker's behavior but it just drives me NUTS!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Cars in the left lane (or in the HOV lane) doing just under the speed limit. I can hear them when they arrive at their destination saying that traffic wasn't too bad, and that they were never stuck in traffic.

BECAUSE I WAS STUCK BEHIND YOU!!!

I feel better already. Thank you.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Driver's who ride their brakes are huge annoyance.

A lot of pedestrian annoyances too.

1) Jaywalkers who can't seem to figure out how a cross walk works and walk into the cross walk screwing up the drivers trying to turn left with the signal. Tourist on Michigan Avenue, I'm talking about you.

2) I know this ain't PC, but I'm a say it anyway. If you are morbidly obese, crippled, slow on your feet, elderly, uncoordinated, talking on the phone/texting, or incapacitated in some kind of way. Don't freaking jaywalk.

I don't have a problem with jaywalkers, but at least do everyone a favor and get your ass out the street in a hurry! How hard is it do a little mental calculation and figure out whether or not you can make it across a street in a timely manner? And if you are going to get caught in the street jaywalking, at least have the physical capacity to be able to hustle your way off the street without backing up traffic.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Overanxious drivers claiming the high ground. Relax, you'll get there.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Can't say it's all that annoying, just worth an eye-roll.... Following another driver who slows, begins turning or changing lanes, and only THEN puts on his signal. Why even bother at that point?

Interesting hearing people complaining about horns. We're pretty staid and conservative with them in the upper Midwest, so laying on the horn is really an event.
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
UTC quote
I'd love to have a big rubber stamp on a toilet plunger handle that would stamp "Put Down Your F$%&#@g Phone!"

I'd stamp driver's windows with ink that they'd have to scrub to get off. Maybe they'd get a clue...
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I actually thought about getting one of those LED message strips and putting it in the rear or front of my car with some messages like:

Use your turn signal.
I saw you, put down your phone.
etc,

Have it programmed so you can turn on the appropriate message to the offending driver.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
drivers who don't put on their indicator until they're actually making the turn.

not really needed at that point, is it?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0272s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0075s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]