@ckaiserca avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1383
Location: Aurora, Ontario Canada
 
Molto Verboso
@ckaiserca avatar
2013 GTV 300 ie "Victoria" Concept 2 Model D "River of Pain"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1383
Location: Aurora, Ontario Canada
UTC quote
When I signal to make a lane change and a driver in the lane I want into speeds up to keep me from getting in front of them.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Saw a bumper that said "Veterinarian. I drive like an animal!" It suddenly dawned on me how many proctologists are on the road.
@bleverone avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1361
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Molto Verboso
@bleverone avatar
GTS 250ie, GTV 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1361
Location: Charlotte, NC
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Saw a bumper that said "Veterinarian. I drive like an animal!" It suddenly dawned on me how many proctologists are on the road.
+1+1+1

ha-and never shake hands with a proctologist.

Just never.
@techenigma avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 863
Location: Ventura County, CA
 
Addicted
@techenigma avatar
2007 Vespa GT200 - 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super - 2013 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 863
Location: Ventura County, CA
UTC quote
I have a few:

1. Failure to signal. Both in turns and lane changes which is all too common out here. I count an average of 10 times someone fails to signal or even check the adjacent lane and nearly collides with me.


2. Excessive speed for prevailing conditions. Normally I don't care if others choose to speed, but when its raining, foggy or otherwise I have visions of someone sliding right in to me at speed, or just failing to see me and mowing me down.

3. Following too closely. Both at traffic signals and in the flow of traffic people insist on being extremely close to my rear. I don't quite think they understand the repercussions of what will happen if I suddenly need to stop and they rear end me. Perhaps they simply don't think of it.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
UTC quote
fleece wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.
different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
fleece wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.
different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43890
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43890
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
Likewise - especially on a scooter.
@nickie avatar
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: Florida
 
Hooked
@nickie avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: Florida
UTC quote
Hey gang, havent been here in a while. Sold both scooters after my Annie passed away. Now have a new love, and am wanting a Vespa....the only thing standing between me and Vespa is money....SIGH....
my pet peeves in traffic are:

tailgaters
litterbugs
agressive drivers
loud rap music, loud mufflers

that's all
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
fleece wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.
different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
Wanker!

Depends on how you define "early."

I'm talking about the point at which normal, sane, considerate drivers start to merge: i.e. where the "merge from" lane starts to taper down. THAT is the point where the "zipper" works efficiently and is the point -- I believe -- that the traffic engineers recommend merging at. Inevitably, though, inconsiderate jerks will ignore the fact that this is where the zipper is taking place, and will go around you on the right to as far as the pavement will allow without running off the road. Then, at that point, they try to pry themselves into a non-existant space... stopping the whole queue in the process and destroying the efficiency of it all.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
Likewise - especially on a scooter.
Yes especially on a scooter. I might even do some cone weaving. Laughing emoticon
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6544
Location: Thousand Oaks
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6544
Location: Thousand Oaks
UTC quote
A Prius doing the exact speed limit in the fast lane whilst the other 4 lanes are wide open.

Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon

SDG
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
 
Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22659
Location: Nashville, Indiana
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
fleece wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.
different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
Wanker!

Depends on how you define "early."

I'm talking about the point at which normal, sane, considerate drivers start to merge: i.e. where the "merge from" lane starts to taper down. THAT is the point where the "zipper" works efficiently and is the point -- I believe -- that the traffic engineers recommend merging at. Inevitably, though, inconsiderate jerks will ignore the fact that this is where the zipper is taking place, and will go around you on the right to as far as the pavement will allow without running off the road. Then, at that point, they try to pry themselves into a non-existant space... stopping the whole queue in the process and destroying the efficiency of it all.
Which is the actual merge point...where it starts to taper. Not a lot of room for someone to go around you (unless it is me on a scooter behind you ) And in my experience "normal, sane, considerate drivers" start to merge way too soon causing all kinds of havoc. The real problem is the asshats in the non-blocked lanes that try to keep you from merging at the merge point because they have this misplaced sense of justice...or are smoking crack or something.
@canopus avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 762
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
 
Addicted
@canopus avatar
Mp3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 762
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
UTC quote
"Slower traffic keep right"

SO PLEASE DO IT NOW !!!

Specially to all my friends who drive/ride the 101 in the SF peninsula area... Livid emoticon

Having said that... DON'T TAILGATE ME YOU IDIOT, I'm also waiting for the slower traffic ahead me, but I understand what a "safety distance" is !
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8992
Location: San Francisco
 
Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8992
Location: San Francisco
UTC quote
while the passing on the right and people failing to move to the right annoys me I mostly don't get upset about it. The reason for this is that in California the law basically says that that is the correct thing to do, and that is something I do get upset about.

If I won the lottery I'd give a considerable amount of time to cleaning up the California vehicle code.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5391
Location: Puyallup, WA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5391
Location: Puyallup, WA
UTC quote
People who use the HOV lane as their personal passing lane, ignoring double yellow or double -double yellow lines.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
 
Moderator
@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
UTC quote
Oh the joys of living where there are no traffic lights, few STOP signs, no merge lanes and only one lane in each direction. Now if we could just get rid of the off-island drivers...

Of course, most of you would get your knickers in a twist if you came upon two cars, traveling in opposite directions, stopped in the road and having a chat to catch up on "stuff", but we value relationships much more than getting somewhere in a hurry. For example, the harbor at Naousa has been there for about 5,000 years, so the odds are it will still be there three minutes later than if those two friends hadn't held you up.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4196
Location: Staffordshire England
 
Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4196
Location: Staffordshire England
UTC quote
i suppose something you have to get right in your head with all these annoying drivers is that it isn't the same bloke every time, even though it might seem like it is.
@paladin avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX 150 "Zaporog"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 918
Location: LaLaLand
 
Addicted
@paladin avatar
Vespa LX 150 "Zaporog"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 918
Location: LaLaLand
UTC quote
Getting annoyed, hating, means you are not totally watching traffic. Nothing surprises me, nothing bothers me, the others on the road is just something to see and avoid.
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2073
Location: Northern California
 
Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2073
Location: Northern California
UTC quote
From what I've observed, different areas/cities have different quirks. In New England, people won't let you merge unless you catch their eye (you see them looking at you) and then they're the friendliest drivers. In California, the highways are designed well for getting on and off, but it's a bit weird having a traffic jam at 70 MPH. In DC, it's a hot mess. Half of the people grew up in the area and the other have are transient. Driving wears me out because of the hightened state of alert I'm in all of the time.

/begin rant

I was at the local grocers, in the parking lot, when a lady approached me asking for directions. I had just getting into my car and was standing there with the door opened and the space next to me empty. I was trying my best to relay directions for her through a language barrier when some other lady pulled up and honked at us. I looked around and saw an open spot two spaces down. I pointed to the spot, but the lady honked again. I told her that I was giving directions and we would be out of her way in a minute. Then she proceeded to shout at us about moving and started her car forward toward us. We moved out of the way so not to get hit by this lazy and impatient woman.

The impatient driver went into the store and I finished giving directions to the lady and she went on her way. I got into my car to leave.

....

Let's just way there's a benefit to having an 89 Ford Crown Victoria with steel bumpers. Very heavy car and the bumpers take a lot of abuse. But, I digress.
@beachpinko avatar
UTC

Member
lx 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43
Location: Ormond Beach Florida
 
Member
@beachpinko avatar
lx 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43
Location: Ormond Beach Florida
UTC quote
Right on red is legal.....Duh
I live in Florida. Right on red is legal unless posted otherwise. All you tourist make me CrAzY!!!!!!!! I once got out of my car and explained to the nice Ohio family this law. Ohio dad said, " thats a good law" Thanked me, then cut off and almost got Ohio family killed as he turned right on red. ......... Now I just sit quietly and shoot laser beams from my eye balls as I sit behind a tourist at a red light waiting to turn right. Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon Facepalm emoticon
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
 
Moderator
@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
UTC quote
Maybe he said, "that's a good law" because it is also the law in Ohio?
Quote:
Ohio Revised Code:
4511.13 Highway traffic signal indications; section not applicable to railroad crossings.

Highway traffic signal indications for vehicles and pedestrians shall have the following meanings:
(b) Except when a traffic control device is in place prohibiting a turn on red or a steady red arrow signal indication is displayed, vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal indication is permitted, after stopping, to enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way street into a one-way street. The right to proceed with the turn shall be subject to the provisions that are applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1375
Location: New York City
 
Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1375
Location: New York City
UTC quote
I've always understood that to be the law just about everywhere in the United States. Am I wrong about that?

Brendan
@bobtuba avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
 
Enthusiast
@bobtuba avatar
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
UTC quote
hendon wrote:
I've always understood that to be the law just about everywhere in the United States. Am I wrong about that?

Brendan
I far as I know, pretty much. If memory serves, it started in California in the late 60's and rapidly spread from there. There are, however, some jurisdictions where it is specifically not allowed... the District of Columbia for example.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

Moderator
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
 
Moderator
@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12955
Location: Paros Island, Greece
UTC quote
hendon wrote:
I've always understood that to be the law just about everywhere in the United States. Am I wrong about that?
Nope.

The tourist in question probably knew that too. Thus a possible reason for the smart remark and hurry to get away.

Didn't carjacking tourist and rental cars in Florida being a serious problem make the news??
@bobtuba avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
 
Enthusiast
@bobtuba avatar
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
hendon wrote:
I've always understood that to be the law just about everywhere in the United States. Am I wrong about that?
Nope.

The tourist in question probably knew that too. Thus a possible reason for the smart remark and hurry to get away.

Didn't carjacking tourist and rental cars in Florida being a serious problem make the news??
It did make the news, but some years ago. It was a serious problem in the Miami area. In those days, rental cars had distinctive license plates that did not name the county as most of the locals had. That problem was recognized and subsequently corrected. Moreover, most rental cars these days have that auto-lock system that locks the doors after the first few yards of driving, so thieves can't just open the door and pull people out as they did before.
I haven't heard or read anything about this being a problem in recent years. But I'm at the extreme other end of Florida.
@bobtuba avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
 
Enthusiast
@bobtuba avatar
LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 80
Location: Pensacola
UTC quote
ckaiserca wrote:
When I signal to make a lane change and a driver in the lane I want into speeds up to keep me from getting in front of them.
** this **
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
I give up trying to make sense of what idiots do. Makes my BP go sky high. I assume nobody will stop at a stop sign or use their directional. Thankfully no horns here. If i hear 3 a year that's a lot. However i hate people who signal to go left or right and then ditch it and pull back out onto the road almost causing me to go down. Taxi's are notorious. However the biggie is cars intentionally blocking me from using the shoulder. Scooters and bikes are allowed to do this. Their just pissed because they have to sit in traffic. Get a scooter.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 405
Location: Chicago
 
Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 405
Location: Chicago
UTC quote
Rubber neckers are another pet peeve of mine. Seriously, whatever happened doesn't concern you. If it ain't blocking the highway, there is no need for you to slow down.

I've seen wrecks on the opposite side of the highway slow down my side because these idiots want to look at what's going on. Many highways now have elevated dividing walls now to try to prevent this.

I also get really frustrated with people who don't know how to merge onto a highway. Last night I'm behind some moron who was going like 40mph trying to merge into traffic going at least 70mph. Seriously? Never took a physics class?

Finally, this one really gets me. I've seen drivers change lanes into the merge point on a highway. So I'm trying to merge on to the highway and some idiot decides to move into the far right lane right where cars are merging. The merging cars have no where to go. It is like you couldn't wait another 1/10 of a mile or something to move into the far right lane so you aren't interferring with cars merging onto the highway?
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4196
Location: Staffordshire England
 
Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4196
Location: Staffordshire England
UTC quote
reckon there's a lot of hypertension happening round here
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
AV we have those cars out by me. I do it on my scooter. People sit there while you talk,even our cops. Way of life out here. That's why i live out here. Doesn't work in Honolulu tho. We don't have any stoplights here and if we could get rid of the tourists i'd be a happy camper. We don't get many out by me. My bad yesterday when this couple on a rented Harley asked me about a "private beach out my way where they could see turtles". Turtles are everywhere. I sent them elsewhere. Laughing emoticon Only friends know where it is. If it ends up on the internet were screwed. Gotta keep some places to yourself.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8756
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
fleece wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Yeah the guy in the video was a wanker for sure. But what Jim is referring to was the concept of staying in your lane until the merge point in traffic. As long as everyone cooperates it moves both lanes through more efficiently than merging early. At least that's what some states traffic studies report to have determined. Here is the thread Jim was referring to.

Traffic flow limits

Here are two videos I linked to on the subject.
different things sticky, the zipper merge is a good thing, especially when people do the right thing and merge in turn (i was amazed when i visited Jersey in the Channel Islands 20 years ago, no traffic lights or roundabouts, it's all merge in turn, and it worked ); however i was talking about out and out wankers who ignore signs telling them that the lane is closing and to move over when safe
While I readily admit that a smooth "zipper" merge at the actual merge area is the most efficient way to move traffic, it's the guy (or gal) who zooms by you on the right while you are merging so that he can get a little farther up in the queue that really burns my ass. Now THAT is a wanker!
But if you were not merging early and were merging at the actual merge point there would be no place for them to zoom to. If you merge early in front of me I am going around your ass.
Wanker!

Depends on how you define "early."

I'm talking about the point at which normal, sane, considerate drivers start to merge: i.e. where the "merge from" lane starts to taper down. THAT is the point where the "zipper" works efficiently and is the point -- I believe -- that the traffic engineers recommend merging at. Inevitably, though, inconsiderate jerks will ignore the fact that this is where the zipper is taking place, and will go around you on the right to as far as the pavement will allow without running off the road. Then, at that point, they try to pry themselves into a non-existant space... stopping the whole queue in the process and destroying the efficiency of it all.
Which is the actual merge point...where it starts to taper. Not a lot of room for someone to go around you (unless it is me on a scooter behind you ) And in my experience "normal, sane, considerate drivers" start to merge way too soon causing all kinds of havoc. The real problem is the asshats in the non-blocked lanes that try to keep you from merging at the merge point because they have this misplaced sense of justice...or are smoking crack or something.
I think we agree on what is the right thing... we just disagree on who is the worst asshat. Laughing emoticon
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 384
Location: Sauk Rapids, MN & Sanibel Island, FL
 
Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
Joined: UTC
Posts: 384
Location: Sauk Rapids, MN & Sanibel Island, FL
UTC quote
Slow drivers in the Left Lane.
Driving and using Cell Phones, talking or texting.
Lack of Blinkers or late blinking.
Tail Gaiters
Hell, everyone on the road except me! Laughing emoticon Just kidding.
@tidwillow avatar
UTC

Hooked
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Brownfields
 
Hooked
@tidwillow avatar
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Brownfields
UTC quote
Quasi-moto wrote:
People who use the HOV lane as their personal passing lane, ignoring double yellow or double -double yellow lines.
+1, But especially at toll plazas! I have been hit twice now by single occupants in a vehicle cutting in and then over to avoid traffic in the HOV lane. Never in the designated broken line area, always in the solid line area.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1610
Location: Rancho Cordova, California
 
Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1610
Location: Rancho Cordova, California
UTC quote
The cager that parks in the middle of two spaces is trying to save from getting nicks out of the paint on the doors of his own car from the adjacent parking cagers opening their doors.
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 314
 
Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 314
UTC quote
Most of the above can irritate me as well, I try mostly to expect the worse from car drivers. I'm still often surprised.

I cannot stand Audi drivers. Over here they are the most rowdy crowd on the road, and they do not like Vespas getting in front of them!!!

50 meters before the light they'll still rev up and pass me, only to get stopped by the light.

I do though, make it a point to get right up in front of his shiny aggressive grill and front bumper!

I have fun with 'em.
@aussiekas avatar
UTC

Hooked
Honda Forza 300 2014
Joined: UTC
Posts: 144
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Hooked
@aussiekas avatar
Honda Forza 300 2014
Joined: UTC
Posts: 144
Location: Sydney, Australia
UTC quote
I'l def. third or fouth the tailgaters.

I just get over in an area with fewer parked cars and let them pass, even if I have to stop. Then I get behind them an leave a very uncomfortably long distance between me and them.

Apologies to those who hate the 4 car length stop, but I want to keep away from THAT ASSHAT in front of me.

I just treat it as a safety thing. If this moron is on a mission to murder other people and the government couldn't care less about it...fine, I'll just do what I can to keep myself safe.

I mean seriously...when has an aggressive driver ticket ever been issued when not in conjunction with an accident or several other offences? Fine that a little more heavily and keep dumbass people 2-3 seconds behind me and not 2-3 milliseconds behind me.

Instead it is all random breath tests and speeding tickets for the traffic cops.

I think I'm in a more contented space with it now and don't get upset. When I make it home alive and having not gone down, I win. Screw the rest of them.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4692
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
 
Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4692
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Aussiekas wrote:
I mean seriously...when has an aggressive driver ticket ever been issued when not in conjunction with an accident or several other offences? Fine that a little more heavily and keep dumbass people 2-3 seconds behind me and not 2-3 milliseconds behind me.
Someone very close to me got a ticket for following too close some years ago.

So it has happened at least once.

I won't mention who it was as I have to live with her and I really like conjugal relations.
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5548
Location: London
 
Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5548
Location: London
UTC quote
Looking into mirrors after beginning a turn. Useless.
Indicating when in a turn. Useless.
Following too closely in dense traffic. Dense.
On phone. Negligent.

Solution to problem one is fold in the mirror of the offender as they were not using it;

Solution to problem two is to knock on the window of the offender and tell them their indicators are broken;

Solution to problem three is to apparently stomp on the brake;

Solution to problem four is, if window open, draw up alongside, take phone, switch it off, throw back through window. If one is feeling really annoyed, the option remains to place the phone on the car bonnet so that they cannot drive away without it falling off.
@elyobelyob avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: SW London
 
Hooked
@elyobelyob avatar
BV350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: SW London
UTC quote
Leaving their driveways. Basically, they are all a menace and are irresponsible.

There are far too many things to mention to highlight one as special. I've not seen someone eating their breakfast cereal from a bowl with milk and spoon yet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brake-fast-for-breakfast-video-shows-motorist-tucking-into-bowl-of-cereal-while-driving-8917196.html
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
Got behind a moped last nite around dark. At first i thought what a good rider. He was going slow and using his directional but then as i got closer he was smoking a ciggie. Flicking the ash right at me. Did something i never do,passed him in his lane and yelled "flick your ashes on somebody else asshole". Yes, i was tired and my back was killing me. Who smokes while their riding on 2 wheels? Gah.
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0477s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0244s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]