OP
@kulezi avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P125X, 1978 P200 in pieces, 93 150 Exclusive (RIP)

Hooked
@kulezi avatar
UTC quote
I have come once again to the fount of wisdom that is MV-NSM to ask for some advice from those with more experience than I.

I've got a disassembled P200E that I would like to put together as a good daily driver with an eye to taking some longer rides with two people on, through the mountains (200 mile rides or so). From what research I've done, I would like to keep it stock-ish. Constant tuning for ultimate speed/performance is not my idea of fun. I'm thinking reliability, ride-ability, and a little more torque for getting up the hills riding two up. I'm at 6000 feet and the cities I'll go to may be up to 8000 feet, I'll certainly be going over some 8000 foot passes on the way.

I'm on a bit of a budget, but with some months till spring, and Christmas coming up, I'm thinking I'll be able to get most of the parts, and then add on as I am able with some of the less essential stuff. I am asking for any advice on modifications, accessories, or small additions or changes that you found made a big difference in reliability, and/or convenience. They don't necessarily have to be performance oriented, one of my favorites is to paint the interior of the glovebox white so it is easier to see inside...

This is what I'm thinking so far:
SIP road exhaust (and the proper jetting, of course)
New shocks. Wondering about the YSS mono X-Pro or the Prima shocks. Good price. Any opinions? BGMs? These? http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Vintage-Vespa-Performance-Front-Shock-Adjustable-P-PX-Stella/2139

SIP Rev counter/Speedo or a Trailtech and the stock speedo

Halogen headlight, I'm thinking about doing the Automobile headlight thing

Other things I am wondering about:
Going battery-less. Seems like there might be some advantage to this, but I'm wondering what they might be beyond not having to deal with a battery. Seems there might be some disadvantage with adding electrical stuff like the SIP speedo.

Has anyone put these on their scoot?
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/riffled+floor+board+set+sip+_50210000
I wonder about moisture getting stuck under them and causing rust, although here in the southwest it's not a huge worry.

Faster flow fuel tap? Does it make a huge difference? Maybe with the SIP Road pipe and upjetting? SIP or BGM?

I'm thinking disc brake as well, but my those are spendy! I'd imagine it's worth it tho'

Ok, I know it's a lot, perhaps it should be more than one post... Well, I'm sure it won't be the last.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
all you need is decent compression a clutch in good working order, round tyres and a comfortable lid

i find a bottle of vodka or a few joints in the toolbox are good for long straight roads, that and singing to myself

Razz emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

For the halogen headlight check out some of the halogen bulbs for the early Honda 250 cc , there is a 35/35 with the correct base and it is a lot better than standard.

Grumpy
UTC

Addicted
Vespa PX200

Addicted
Vespa PX200
UTC quote
joshzingzing wrote:
....all you need is decent compression, a clutch in good working order, round tyres and a comfortable lid
Yep, I agree with that.
joshzingzing wrote:
.....a bottle of vodka......
Wha? emoticon NO, absolutely not
joshzingzing wrote:
...a few joints in the toolbox are good...
I'm okay with that 8)
joshzingzing wrote:
....long straight roads.....
Are there any other kind in WA
joshzingzing wrote:
and singing to myself
It's hard to stop yourself isn't it? but why does your head always get fixated on ONE song per trip ?
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
okay better leave out the vodka and stop for a muffin or emu cupcake instead

@mr10 avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 GLx, Rally 200

Hooked
@mr10 avatar
150 GLx, Rally 200
UTC quote
BGM fueltap seems more sturdy, but it seems to go on reserve sooner. I'd recommend one of 'em when upgrading an oldie to a PX engine - the PX fueltap is fast enough.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
SIP road gonna give you more grunt going up hill. Reduced my downshifting over the mountains significantly. Also raised top speed 7 - 10 kmh.

Better shocks gonna make the ride nicer.

Fancy speeedo or tach gonna give you a fancy speedo or tach.

I like the stock halogen on my PX150. Roads here are not well lighted.

Batteryless gonna make it batteryless. Ain't gonna improve performance, ride comfort or the like. Taken care of, a battery is no problem. But if it makes you feel like you own a batteryless vintage scooter, well feelings are important to some.

Riffled floorboards will make your floorboards look riffled. If you like riffled, then for 59 Euro plus shipping, go riffled.
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
I just did some work on my rally which has a p200e engine in it, albeit a very early one.

One of the complaints I had with the gearing was the ratio between 3rd and 4th and replaced my 4th with the shorter one ( one tooth less from memory, but there are some slight differences in the 4th gears available as I found to my frustration, but the new 4th is great now.

I also upgraded to the pinasco 213 kit with a worb head and that too has made a huge difference especially to the torque. I am still running it in and is taking a while until I get back home to ride the bike again, but so far I love it and the improvement I can feel in it. Just a thought if you are going to do some work on the bike.

All depends on the condition if the engine as it is. Mine had seen a lot if use I think and needed work to get it to be a decent tourer.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
I would like you to at least consider my advise from the perpestive point of view of a person (yours truly) that already lives in altitude, has gone to over 9000feet on 4 scooters (Stella 2T, Stella 4T, P200, GTS 300) and owns a P200E.

To put is in simple words, good luck carrying 2 people at high altitude. I tried my scooters(even my 300GTS fuel injected) and above 6500ish feet there is a significant loss of power. I made it to 9200 feet on Mount Lemmon(Tucson, AZ) and the scooters run very sluggish. You have to constantly shift to third and sometime to second specially if you have to negotiate some slow curves and get up to speed again.

There is no simple formula of budget for what you want. The stock motor at 8000ft with a couple of bolt ons and two people is not going to make it, I mean, it will make it but at 40-45mph.

You should get at least a cylinder kit, even if that goes over your budget. As far is the light, I have a Stella headlight on my P200E and it works great only when you rev pass a quarter of the throttle.

As far is not running a battery? I think that is a bad idea, my P200E without the battery can hardly lit the turn signals and there is no horn. The original piaggio stator is not up to par however my 05 PX150 will lit the headlight brightly and everything will work (as a result of a more powerful stator).

You can adjust somewhat the jettins but at the end of the day the altitude just kills the power, adding the extra weight also kills the power.

Last but not least, the faster fuel tap is good in theory but ultimately the flow is limited by how much the jetting and the carburetor bowl and float are rated. I can put a 1"diameter hose funnel in a similar fashion of what you see the NASCAR cars being refuel and at the end of the day there will be no extra flow to the carb/jettin.

The bigger tap works if you are filling a bucket of water, the more flowing tap will allow faster flow of water but for the vespa application it would make no difference (in my opinion).

Anyways, that is my honest opinion.
OP
@kulezi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@kulezi avatar
UTC quote
Thanks to all for the replies. I realize that a reliable stock bike is good. I'm just looking to make it a little better... Might change the gears when I need to rebuild, but for now the engine has around 7000 miles on it and it was running well before being taken off to repaint the bike 3 years ago... That's how I got it, project sat too long in the basement, he didn't want to look at it anymore. Anyway...

Scooterist, thanks for the altitude ride rundown, I figured something like that might be the case, but was hoping that some small things might make a big difference. I may look at a cylinder kit... I'm just not looking into "tuning" my bike and constant fiddling.

Grumpy, thanks for the headlight tip.

Any advice on decent shocks?
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

For shocks the rear seems to last forever, fournales are good but really expensive as you have to buy the air pump as well.

Really important for a tourer is a decent set of racks for all the stuff you are going to carry, especially two up, spare petrol can might be a useful addition, if you are off the beaten track along with a decent toolkit and spare cables.

Grumpy
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Agreed that you don't HAVE to mess w/ a stock bike & inadvertantly mess up the original reliability. But you can still do a few things safely.

You should get most of what you need w/ a SIP Road or a Silent Box which is available tuned several different ways.

Be sure to rejet properly. Add a CHT and I'm sure if you do a little research & pack some extra jets(good price for set of 10 @ Jet200) you can deal w/ altitude changes.

Also check your compression carefully, if it's not at it's best then new rings and a professional hone + setting the ring gap right will add a nice bit of power too. With the cylinder off anyway, you could do a little port matching.

Keep your tires at max recommended pressure.

Take it for what it is & endure going a little slower than a motorcycle so you can enjoy the scenery.
OP
@kulezi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@kulezi avatar
UTC quote
Hey V oodo,

How does one get a silent box? I poked around the interwebs but could not find a link. I tried google translate on the page you linked to but no pertinent info came up. I'd not heard of them before, only the SIP road and the BGM big box. I like the idea of quieter...

The jet sets have been out of stock for a while. I'm planning on getting a set of jets when they are back in. I've got a 20/20 carb and the main jet is 160-BE4-96. I'm assuming I should get the 90-112 set, would that be correct? From what I've read, you don't make big jumps in jet sizes.

One more question. Max tire pressure. I've got Pirelli SC 30s on right now. I've read here that it is better to not fill them to the pressure indicated on the tire, but to fill em to 25 in the front, 30 in the back. Changing it if carring a load or a passenger...

Thanks for the help!
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

Pressures written on the side of the tire are generally maximum.

Grumpy
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
kulezi wrote:
Hey V oodo,

How does one get a silent box?!
You PM me and I can help facilitate.. I know Marco well and can help get you plugged in if you're interested.
Cheers
they're awesome boxes.. I've got a 177 and a 221 version.
@travisnj avatar
UTC

Primasarah
1979 P200E, 1977 Rally 200, 1974 Primavera

Primasarah
@travisnj avatar
UTC quote
I'd rather save some cash and get the BGM Big Box over the Silent Box.

Now any of the other Pipe-Design pipes, I'd go for over their competition.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Of course you would.

kulezi. what you really want is the NSR BBox.. I can help you w/ that one too.

just in case you want a small box exhaust and are pushing 42HP.
⚠️ Last edited by Vader19 on UTC; edited 1 time
@travisnj avatar
UTC

Primasarah

Primasarah
@travisnj avatar
UTC quote
Of course I would, thats why I said it. Don't need your snide comments or fake as fuck personality.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
thats not playing very nice travis tch tch
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
No I deserve it.. I shouldn't have commented at all. I'm giving travis thumbs up.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
circle gerkin
oh ok , you edited

bums up from me too then travis
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Fuck travis and his 3 headed dragon........all 4 of them can suck my dick.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
Laughing emoticon
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
kulezi I did most of what you're planning to. Got a Sip Road. Not really a top speed improvement but much better acceleration and much better torque. Pulls so much better uphill. Put on Carbone shocks. A lot cheaper than most out there but I'm happy with them although all I have to compare them to is the shitty originals. Also got new tyres which gave me much more confidence to lean the scoot over. All three things have made riding much more enjoyable. I'd like a SIP speedo but can't justify getting one. The CHT could be good for you at altitude with the jetting issues.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
There is no "simple cure" for power loss in a carbureted engine at altitude. You can rejet to compensate for the higher density altitude (product of height above sea level, temp, humidity and barometric pressure at sea level), but that just reduces the loss in power somewhat. It's just something you will have to learn to live with, if you can. Once you get above 6,000 ft density altitude, the loss will start to become a bit noticeable.

Note that at 5,000 ft, temp 60 F, barometer 29.92 and 47% humidity, density altitude is about 6,300 feet. If temp is 70 F, then density altitude is about 7,000 ft, so temp is a significant factor.
@speed_kills avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mostly Lambrettisti

Addicted
@speed_kills avatar
Mostly Lambrettisti
UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
Who else here enjoys getting blown by dragons?
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Speed_Kills wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:
Who else here enjoys getting blown by dragons?
I wouldn't think I would, but I've discovered that it was indeed a dragon afterwards a number of times
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred
UTC quote
Long as the dragon is careful with the teeth it's fine by me, beggers can't be choosers
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Okay. It was a bit over the top.

After he used big boy words and scolded Haf for a simple comment I thought i'd deliver some humor and big boy words myself.

Some people need to learn to come correct or say nothing.

Off to work.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:

After he used big boy words and scolded Haf for a simple comment I thought i'd deliver some humor and big boy words myself.

Off to work.
What does this even mean? Half your posts are about the four thousand different places you grew up and the other half of your posts are kissing Vaders' ass. Seriously, what the fuck is your malfunction? You are the weirdest 50 year old I've ever heard of. And "big boy word?" What in the hell are you going on about? Let some people hash out their shit. They're adults on their own.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:

Off to work.
What does this even mean? Half your posts are about the four thousand different places you grew up and the other half of your posts are kissing Vaders' ass. Seriously, what the fuck is your malfunction? You are the weirdest 50 year old I've ever heard of. And "big boy word?" What in the hell are you going on about? Let some people hash out their shit. They're adults on their own.
All of that from you is another example of "it takes one to know one". Ha
@travisnj avatar
UTC

Primasarah

Primasarah
@travisnj avatar
UTC quote
Jimmy, you're more fake than monopoly money. I'm sure Hafner would still let you use his garage and tools even if you didn't suck his dick.
⚠️ Last edited by TravisNJ on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@kulezi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@kulezi avatar
UTC quote
Huh,
Anyway...

Bobo, thanks for the shock tip, that's what I was hoping to get, some recommendations. Torque is what I'm looking for, I enjoy the ride, just looking to get up the hills a bit easier.

Grumpy, thanks for the tire pressure clarification, and the touring tips. I've got a BBQ rack, might add a front one depending...

Again, Thanks to all who posted, any other recommendations are appreciated.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
i know you are but what am i
this threads ace .... shame we cant see some hair pulling n knocking each others books on the floor Laughing emoticon
@october avatar
UTC

Addicted
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x

Addicted
@october avatar
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x
UTC quote
⚠️ Last edited by october on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

If you are touring two up, try not load all of the kit onto the back.even if you do not have a front rack, you have a ton of space where you feet go, just do not obstruct any of the pedals.

Grumpy
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
I would keep it on the battery, It's nice to know I can leave a phone or Ipod charging while parked.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
TravisNJ wrote:
Jimmy, you're more fake than monopoly money. I'm sure Hafner would still let you use his garage and tools even if you didn't suck his dick.
Ha. Good onion.

I'm still trying to get permission to hang my laundry on his clothes line.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
Simple one for acceleration is to get your flywheel lightened. Nice change but not earth shattering.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
kulezi. what you really want is the NSR BBox..
Do you mean the Nordspeed Cube?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0308s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0150s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]