OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
UTC quote
I spent Thanksgiving holiday in NYC and was really amazed at all the scoots I saw. I've been to NYC more times than I could possibly remember and never really paid attention to the scoots. I guess because I am riding now, I notice them more. I was trying to keep a tab on how many I saw, but I completely lost count there were so many.

I must have counted at least 75 Vespas over the four days I was there. It seemed the most popular was the LX model followed by 300s. I also saw a few Harleys, assorted cruisers. Plenty of Chinese scoots. A few sport bikes. I saw a guy on a BMW S1000RR down in Soho. Saw a BMW C650 in the financial district.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Vespa is the only way to move in big cities.

In my town (State Capitol), scooters can park on the sidewalks, so shopping or errands is a breeze as we can park right in front of the shop. Lots of designated scooter parking areas as well, near the pedestrian only inner city.

How is it in major US cities?
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Edumakated wrote:
I spent Thanksgiving holiday in NYC and was really amazed at all the scoots I saw. I've been to NYC more times than I could possibly remember and never really paid attention to the scoots. I guess because I am riding now, I notice them more. I was trying to keep a tab on how many I saw, but I completely lost count there were so many.

I must have counted at least 75 Vespas over the four days I was there. It seemed the most popular was the LX model followed by 300s. I also saw a few Harleys, assorted cruisers. Plenty of Chinese scoots. A few sport bikes. I saw a guy on a BMW S1000RR down in Soho. Saw a BMW C650 in the financial district.
Measurements of various quantities are relative to the interests of the observers. Laughing emoticon
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
DRWeside wrote:
Edumakated wrote:

Measurements of various quantities are relative to the interests of the observers. Laughing emoticon
Funny how that works!
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
UTC quote
Yup, there are hundreds, if not thousands of scooters in NYC. It's the best way to get around New York, for sure, although you have to be willing to deal with the insanity of the other traffic. No such thing as a relaxing ride through town, that's for sure.

Brendan
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Vespas (or scooters in general) are not "new" to NYC. In the late 50's and early 60's, I remember seeing many fellow Vespa riders on FDR Drive. At the time, the speed limit on the Hutchinson River Pkwy was 40 mph (Vespa friendly), there was no Cross Bronx Expressway (had to take Bruckner Blvd from the Hutch to the Tri-Borough), so the trip from my home town of Pelham to downtown Manhattan was just as easy by Vespa as it was by car, and as soon as I turned 17 in 1959, and could legally drive/ride in NYC, I began using the family Vespa to go to Manhattan.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Vespas (or scooters in general) are not "new" to NYC. In the late 50's and early 60's, I remember seeing many fellow Vespa riders on FDR Drive. At the time, the speed limit on the Hutchinson River Pkwy was 40 mph (Vespa friendly), there was no Cross Bronx Expressway (had to take Bruckner Blvd from the Hutch to the Tri-Borough), so the trip from my home town of Pelham to downtown Manhattan was just as easy by Vespa as it was by car, and as soon as I turned 17 in 1959, and could legally drive/ride in NYC, I began using the family Vespa to go to Manhattan.
i know it's not possible to evoke memories of a time before i was born, and a place i've never seen, but you came bloody close there 8)
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
If you ever venture in Brooklyn, you'll see even more scooters; Vespa, Ruckus, Buddys, etc..definitely a way of life now for most commuters
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I'm really surprised more large cities are doing more to make life easier for PTWs. There are definitely a lot here in Chicago, but nothing like NYC. I'd like to see better street parking just for PTWs. Maybe free or dramatically cheaper.

I've often wondered why some cities, particularly, those on a grid don't designate some north south streets at PTW and bike only.

If they want to get people out of cars, they need to do something to make riding PTWs dramatically more advantageous.
@crazyinnyc avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GTS, 07 Stella

Addicted
@crazyinnyc avatar
07 GTS, 07 Stella
UTC quote
It's cold, but I'm still riding. Even rode on Tuesday when the impending snowfall closed schools in NJ and Westchester. Luckily I got to work at 7:30 a bit before the snow started and as is often the case in Manhattan, the snow did not accumulate.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
The Police even ride Piaggio scooters. 8) It is the best way t get around there. I do have to be sad sometimes because most of the Vespa's look like somebody took a hammer to them. I've been going to places i've never gone to over here and Hawaii really is scooter friendly. We can park for free 99% of the places over here. 8) Been seeing more Vespa's but it's really a lot of mopeds because of our laws with them. Just need a onetime to $15 sticker to ride them. They have a huge club also.
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Edumakated wrote:
I'm really surprised more large cities are doing more to make life easier for PTWs. There are definitely a lot here in Chicago, but nothing like NYC. I'd like to see better street parking just for PTWs. Maybe free or dramatically cheaper.

I've often wondered why some cities, particularly, those on a grid don't designate some north south streets at PTW and bike only.

If they want to get people out of cars, they need to do something to make riding PTWs dramatically more advantageous.
I take it you didn't notice the fleet of bicycles CitiBank has deployed ie. CitiBike. Just goes to show what can be done if somebody wants it done. The city has taken away legal/illegal parking spaces and installed bike racks for CitiBike.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

PTWs are a different story; local government doesn't care about PTWs and the biker gang/Range Rover incident doesn't lend itself to a good image of PTWs.

Although NYC is an ideal environment for using a scooter, I'd argue that the local officials do not make it easier for us. I can only imagine how this city would be transformed if there were at least *one* designated parking space for motorcycles for every street blockface.

At the moment, when you buy a PTW, part of the deal is that you should expect it to get knocked over since there are no designated parking areas.[/img]
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
DRWeside wrote:
Edumakated wrote:

I take it you didn't notice the fleet of bicycles CitiBank has deployed ie. CitiBike. Just goes to show what can be done if somebody wants it done. The city has taken away legal/illegal parking spaces and installed bike racks for CitiBike.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

PTWs are a different story; local government doesn't care about PTWs and the biker gang/Range Rover incident doesn't lend itself to a good image of PTWs.

Although NYC is an ideal environment for using a scooter, I'd argue that the local officials do not make it easier for us. I can only imagine how this city would be transformed if there were at least *one* designated parking space for motorcycles for every street blockface.

At the moment, when you buy a PTW, part of the deal is that you should expect it to get knocked over since there are no designated parking areas.[/img]
Yes, I am familiar with the Citibikes. They are called Divvy bikes here in Chicago. Great idea and very popular. However, I was talking about truly designated bike streets, not just some squeezed in bike lanes that share the road with cagers. Almost like a bicycle super highway so you don't have to worry about being doored or cars making a right turn into you. Thinking extra wide bike lanes with the middle lanes being for PTWs. Maybe cabs & buses, but no privately owned cars.

The lack of parking is frustrating. I pay $175 across from my office to rent a spot for my car and scooter to a restaurant owner. It is convenient, but during the spring/summre when I'm mostly on my scoot, it seems like a waste given I don't even park it in a space. There is plenty of space on the street to park, but the parking nazis around here woudl ticket you and the street meters are $8/hr. One ticket for over staying a meter is $75.

I just think if government really wants to encourage people to get out of their cars and alleviate traffic, they need to make it advantageous to do so. People need to see the advantage. They need to see scooter getting to filter legally to front of traffic. See scooters getting prime parking spaces. See lower costs and see that it would be more convenient to dump the car. Right now, I don't think that is the case for most car drivers, even those with short commutes.
@gtdohc avatar
UTC

Hooked
09 Piaggio MP3 400,09 Vespa GTS250,05 PX150,09 SYM HD200, Yama C3, La-Vita 150EFI and some old,new motorcycles

Hooked
@gtdohc avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 400,09 Vespa GTS250,05 PX150,09 SYM HD200, Yama C3, La-Vita 150EFI and some old,new motorcycles
UTC quote
Riding in NYC if full of challenge and very rewarding once you know how to beat the traffic, especially those yellow taxi cab, i might consider ride my MP3 to the motorcycle show this weekend if the weather permitted, since the temperature is not a big issue 25- 30 degree this week but full heated gear prepared, but the snow might tell the difference story.
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Edumakated wrote:
The lack of parking is frustrating. I pay $175 across from my office to rent a spot for my car and scooter to a restaurant owner. It is convenient, but during the spring/summre when I'm mostly on my scoot, it seems like a waste given I don't even park it in a space. There is plenty of space on the street to park, but the parking nazis around here woudl ticket you and the street meters are $8/hr. One ticket for over staying a meter is $75.

I just think if government really wants to encourage people to get out of their cars and alleviate traffic, they need to make it advantageous to do so. People need to see the advantage. They need to see scooter getting to filter legally to front of traffic. See scooters getting prime parking spaces. See lower costs and see that it would be more convenient to dump the car. Right now, I don't think that is the case for most car drivers, even those with short commutes.
Take a look at this paper (http://www.icleiusa.org/action-center/learn-from-others/lessonsNYC.pdf). It's not very long, but if you read the abstract, you will see that it supports what you say.

Still, those that live in NYC know this and an overwhelming majority use public transportation due to convenience and lower cost. That's why CitiBike has been so successful.

The problem is the bridge and tunnel crowd that has to come in to work from 30> miles away. They refuse to take the train/bus, for whatever reason.
⚠️ Last edited by DRWeside on UTC; edited 1 time
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
UTC quote
I was happy to see more scooters in NYC but it is still nothing compare to other megapolises. Manhattan traffic is not that bad, however the real danger is in drivers who are not accustom to thousands of scooters on the streets.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0204s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]