@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
So as this weather in the Midwest is too cold to ride, at least for me, my mind wanders to things such as......food. We did hot dogs and pizza, now I move to fried chicken. As you can see I don't usually aim these threads at healthy food, just tasty. So when I was younger, you could get great fried chicken at so many places, and I don't mean KFC or Popeyes, I mean great fried chicken in restaurants. It seems that great fried chicken in restaurants nowadays is rare. So any great suggestions? There is a little take out place in Chicago, called the Fish Keg, that has great fried shrimp but also great fried chicken. There is a new restaurant in chicago that serves honey fried chicken that sounds great but have not tried it yet. Any thoughts?

Larry
@thewasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yes, I am a scooter model

Hooked
@thewasp avatar
UTC quote
I like KFC Original Recipe, really. I suppose I have had better but not as consistent. Fired chicken? Easy to mess up but can be difficult to get "right."

So consistent, even if average, get's my vote. On Tuesday's Popeye's has a drumstick and thigh deal for $1.29. I picked up a couple orders of spicy this last Tuesday and it was good enough after dousing with some hot sauce.
@joedevola avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS

Molto Verboso
@joedevola avatar
2009 Vespa LX150ie, 2007 GTS250ie, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1989 BMW K100RS
UTC quote
I think if you want great tasting chicken, you actually have to start with great tasting chicken! I think the factory farmed chickens that are 'manufactured' for maximum weight gain and minimum cost to produce are pretty bland and horrible. I think much of the pork and beef on the (mass) market is also equally disgusting!
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
1.Pies N' Thighs in Williamsburg, Brooklyn(actually featured on Diners,drive in's and dives). 2. Peaches hot house(Fort Green, Brooklyn). Jimmy's Diner(Williamsburg, BK). All in no particular order, but I now need to sign off MV so as to see who is still open and most importantly, who's still delivering at 1:40am!!!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Another horribly cruel thread. Can't get it here unless we make it ourselves, and it's messy to make properly!

Now, the free range chickens here are superb, and Greek oven roasted chicken is magnificent, but we still long for American style fried chicken, and it is on our mandatory cuisine list when we visit The Colonies.

Right now, even KFC or Popeye's sounds good.
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Another horribly cruel thread. Can't get it here unless we make it ourselves, and it's messy to make properly!

Now, the free range chickens here are superb, and Greek oven roasted chicken is magnificent, but we still long for American style fried chicken, and it is on our mandatory cuisine list when we visit The Colonies.

sorry about starting these food threads of things you can't get in Greece but having been to Greece a couple of times you have great food there and a beautiful country.
@mreloc avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 i.e.

Hooked
@mreloc avatar
GTV 300 i.e.
UTC quote
It's 8:30 in the morning, here, and I suddenly want a bucket of chicken!! Razz emoticon
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:

sorry about starting these food threads of things you can't get in Greece but having been to Greece a couple of times you have great food there and a beautiful country.
Larry- Yes we have great Greek food, and more great Greek food, but on a beautifu; small island with a permanent population of 12,000, all we have is great Greek food and one Thai restaurant with a limited menu that's open 8 months of the year. Haven't got a complaint in the world, but we just don't have the "luxury" of the many varieties of food available in, for example, the US. If we go out to eat, it's not based on what food we are desirous of, but who we want to see when we dine.

And, can't get many of the ingredients to cook some dishes ourselves, even though our local grocer will move mountains to get stuff for us.

So yeah, the food threads make our mouths water, and there is nothing we can do about it.

I guess I could start a "Best Gyros Pita" thread, but then most of you actually think real gyros is made with fine ground, pressed and processed meat.
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
I've just had a KFC

YUM!
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Betty's in Anniston, Alabama. When you order, the waitress says, "The chicken takes 20 minutes, because we don't fry it until you order it. Is that OK?"

It is well worth it.
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
My grandmother made the best damn fried chicken in the world. You have to have an iron skillet, a whole chicken (she got them out of her yard) and lard or Crisco to fry in. We have come close to reproducing it, but so far there's always a little something missing. Last Christmas my son tried a recipe that called for brining the chicken, and it was the closest we have come yet. It makes a mess, but like all quixotic goals, the satisfaction is often in the process. That being said, the best carry out fried chicken in this region comes from Lee's Famous Recipe.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:

Just as well, you'll be with us longer. The free range chicken is enormously healthier. Since our Greek artist friend passed we jones for her roasted chicken. But since we've gone veg, it's reduced to an occasional drool. Like right now.
@piglet avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV250, PX150 & LX50

Hooked
@piglet avatar
GTV250, PX150 & LX50
UTC quote
I've always been a fan of late night gas station fried chicken. Can be risky though.
@1978p200 avatar
UTC

Hooked
p200

Hooked
@1978p200 avatar
p200
UTC quote
http://www.dinahschicken.com/

the best on Cali..
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Bojangles in North Carolina beats KFC by a country mile. :^)
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:

I'll bet that with a little careful instruction/correction and a few tries, one of those fine Greek cooks could turn those free range chickens into just fine roasted chicken. Got buttermilk?
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
1978P200 wrote:
the best on Cali..
And now we know you are not a California native.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/12-Sayings-Only-People-From-California-Will-5055139.php
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Oh dear, another tasty food thread.

Soooo, for those of us that live outside of the US, in Europe namely, fried chicken is a problem. Yes we have KFC, but only the young kids go there. I never liked it in the US !

As Aviator said, the Europeans have excellent recipes for roasted chickens in all kinds of varieties. When done Med-Style, I'd even make it a 50-50 for taste.

Fried chicken is done best down south, my personal opinion. Home style restaurants, often all you can eat. That's the best chicken in a restaurant.

Also, down south is probably in my opinion, the best for "at home" fried chicken too.

Mercy, I've had the pleasure of having real good fried chicken several times.
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Quasi-moto wrote:
Bojangles in North Carolina beats KFC by a country mile. :^)
Bojangles is great. When I was 16 I made biscuits in one. The thing that I love about Bojangles is their cherry soda. Good chicken also.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Not cheap ($16.50 on the lunch menu) but definitely worth a hike: Vidalia in D.C., on M Street.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by David Masse on UTC; edited 1 time
@capitano avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion

Addicted
@capitano avatar
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion
UTC quote
It's some years since I was out in the Midwest USA but have good memories of a fried chicken restaurant between Janesville and Beloit. I just wish I could remember its name!

After a bit of googling, it may have been Scotties...perhaps.
@thewasp avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@thewasp avatar
UTC quote
1978P200 wrote:
http://www.dinahschicken.com/

the best on Cali..
$80 for 50 pieces of chicken? Let's hope some real gold is in that "golden brown" bird.

'Eh, but maybe not such a bad price if the chicken really is great. Maybe I will ride by next time in Glendale? Which is often enough.
davidmasse wrote:
Not cheap ($16.50 on the lunch menu) but definitely worth a hike: Vidalia in D.C., on M Street.
Ok get the hell out of here with that fancy pants fried chicken
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Best fried chicken - my grandmothers, either one. I haven't fried chicken in so long I suspect I've forgotten how though I was thinking about it the other day when I ordered a Cajun fried turkey for Thanksgiving.

I used to make pretty good fried chicken but it is so messy and our solid cooktop says not to use cat iron on it and you really do need well seasoned cast iron for good home style fried chicken.

Last good fried chicken I had out was in Arkansas at some place I stopped on my rise back from DC April 2012. Doubt if I could find it again but it was maybe an hour southwest of Little Rock. It was one of those country buffets. They had really good hush puppies but their cornbread was too dry.
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Fucking dry cornbread
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
They had really good hush puppies but their cornbread was too dry.
Story of my life.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
... our solid cooktop says not to use cast iron on it ...
This is what we've come to. We can't boil water (let alone fry or sauté anything) without spending 15 minutes with freaking paper towels and Ceramabrite cooktop lotion trying in vain to restore our bloody GE Profile range top to its intended finish. We're hoping to sell the house just so we can include that cursed stove in the listing.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
robertsfun wrote:
Soooo, for those of us that live outside of the US, in Europe namely, fried chicken is a problem. Yes we have KFC, but only the young kids go there. I never liked it in the US !
Whether or not one was hooked on KFC or the like, when it is no longer an available choice, it suddenly takes on a much greater desirability.

Are we glad that every cafe, taverna and restaurant here is family owned and operated. Absolutely. That's what makes life here precious. Folks who have done the Greek Islands Rallies can attest to that. Chili's, Olive Garden, KFC and the like ain't gonna give you complimentary wine, sea urchin appetizer and dessert to go with their great Greek meal. Nor will you be invited into the kitchen to see what's available first hand and really pick your portion size.

In short, dining out here is not just an epicurean treat, but a social and human delight, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Still doesn't mean that we don't occasionally long for a nice, impersonal, serving of fried chicken, even if it's KFC or Popeye's. And, we get that "fix" as well as a few others when we visit The Colonies. Our offspring understand and schedule the obligatory stops. My sister is still a bit confused by it, but then I've been confusing her for 70+ years.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
There is some pretty good fried chicken available on Sundays at Mack and Kate's in franklin tn if anyone is ever passing thru. The only caveat - they aren't frying the whole bird, but chunks of breast meat. It's damn good, but you sense somehow it would be better if you had to work around the bone like the old days.
OP
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
robertsfun wrote:
Whether or not one was hooked on KFC or the like, when it is no longer an available choice, it suddenly takes on a much greater desirability.

Are we glad that every cafe, taverna and restaurant here is family owned and operated. Absolutely. That's what makes life here precious. Folks who have done the Greek Islands Rallies can attest to that. Chili's, Olive Garden, KFC and the like ain't gonna give you complimentary wine, sea urchin appetizer and dessert to go with their great Greek meal. Nor will you be invited into the kitchen to see what's available first hand and really pick your portion size.

In short, dining out here is not just an epicurean treat, but a social and human delight, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Still doesn't mean that we don't occasionally long for a nice, impersonal, serving of fried chicken, even if it's KFC or Popeye's. And, we get that "fix" as well as a few others when we visit The Colonies. Our offspring understand and schedule the obligatory stops. My sister is still a bit confused by it, but then I've been confusing her for 70+ years.
Living in the Chicago area we do have options of virtually any type of food we could want, but it is never the type of experience you describe, always much more impersonal except at the few places we frequent a lot where they recognize us. Also i have only had sea urchin once. I have never been to your greek island but it does sound amazing.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Al Davis wrote:
Fucking dry cornbread
That doesn't sound like fun.

I thought we were talking about fried chicken.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
Living in the Chicago area we do have options of virtually any type of food we could want, but it is never the type of experience you describe, always much more impersonal except at the few places we frequent a lot where they recognize us. Also i have only had sea urchin once. I have never been to your greek island but it does sound amazing.
Yes, it is amazing, and we very happily traded living within 30 or 40 min max from every kind of food under the sun for the dining experience here, as well as numerous other delights.

We may miss the variety, but not enough to spend a nanosecond thinking of moving back to where it is available.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Good fried chicken? That's easy. The trick here in Oklahoma is to find anything to eat that ISN'T fried.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Route 66 Lawdog wrote:
Good fried chicken? That's easy. The trick here in Oklahoma is to find anything to eat that ISN'T fried.
So true! There are parts of the country I have visited for work where everything on the menu seems to be brown and fried...even the pickles!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I like the southern stuff the best. They also do a great pulled pork sandwich. We have restaurants like AL'S. However having been to Greece and Cyprus i do love the way people run them. Not just about the food it's getting to know the people who make. it. 8) I miss the $100 Swarama's (sp)and fruit smoothies i got in the Souks of Saudi. I think it's the atmosphere of where you get something that help as well. KFC is good for a chain tho.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
judy wrote:
I like the southern stuff the best. They also do a great pulled pork sandwich. We have restaurants like AL'S. However having been to Greece and Cyprus i do love the way people run them. Not just about the food it's getting to know the people who make. it. 8) I miss the $100 Swarama's (sp)and fruit smoothies i got in the Souks of Saudi. I think it's the atmosphere of where you get something that help as well. KFC is good for a chain tho.
You have some good places like that over there too, Judy. I like the Village Noodle House on Smith street, and for artery-clogging gooey goodness, The Shack in Kailua. Yum.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Q yes we do. Kua'aina hanburgers in Haleiwa are the best burgers. Giovanni's shrimp scampi, out of their famous white truc,k is to die for. Both places you mentioned are great also. Many yet to be discovered by me as well. When are you coming over again?
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
I used to spend a week per quarter there for work, but my job has changed so I don't have any current plans to go anytime soon. Really enjoyed my time there though!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
If you ever get over here give me a heads up and i'll take you to lunch at one of the above mentioned places.
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Do you think there should be a new section in "Fun and Games" for Best Chicken, Burgers, Pizza or Places of interest for Scooter travelers to visit ?
I was gonna make beef stew tonight, looks like it will be KFC.. and an extra order of coleslaw.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
davidmasse wrote:
cdwise wrote:
... our solid cooktop says not to use cast iron on it ...
This is what we've come to. We can't boil water (let alone fry or sauté anything) without spending 15 minutes with freaking paper towels and Ceramabrite cooktop lotion trying in vain to restore our bloody GE Profile range top to its intended finish. We're hoping to sell the house just so we can include that cursed stove in the listing.
Our place in Breckenridge has GAS which was one of its many attractions. When we clear out the garage here in January for some foundation work I'm hoping to discover what happened to the few cast iron pans/pots I kept. If I can't find them then they are gone forever. Then I'll have to go through all the hassle of properly seasoning a new deep frying pan for Breck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0227s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0054s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]