OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hey there everyone,

I was referred to this forum by an Australian vespa forum who suggested this would be the best place to have my question answered.

I came into possession of this a few months back and want to put it on ebay or similar but have no idea what year or model Vespa it is, or what it may be worth to someone. I can't really advertise it for sale unless I know what model/year it is.

It has a square number plate holder with 'Made in Italy' written on it and a 'Vespa 150' badge on the front. The odometer reads '180' but I have can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

It's a bit dusty in the pics...sorry about that . But I was hoping someone with a keen eye and a good knowledge of Vespas could take a stab at identifying, the specific model, year of manufacture and how much it may be worth based on it's condition.

It has no key and I have no idea if it runs. There are numerous parts for it, but I am unsure what parts are missing. The seat is missing but the cover on lower left side is not attached, but still with the bike.

If anyone wants more detailed pics of a specific part of the scooter to help them identify it, let me know and I'll take some...whatever you need or if there's an engine/model number or something, let me know that too...I don't know where the identification numbers are on these things.

Hopefully someone can help me identify what this scooter is. All I know is it's a Vespa, but aside from that glaringly obvious fact, I have not a clue. I think it may be a VBB, but am unsure.

Also, hypothetically if you were in the market for this...what would YOU pay for it? Just a general ballpark to give me an idea what price range it might fall into. I don't want to ask way too much and never move the thing...or way too little and end up unwittingly giving it away.

I just want it to go to a good home for a reasonable price really.

EDIT: After much googling, I think it may be a VBB. But I'm not 100% certain. I'm assuming the 'Made in Italy' on the license plate surround means just that and it isn't an Indonesian or Indian built scooter.

Cheers everyone, much appreciated.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
this site will show where the VIN and Engine numbers are. Have a look there and then check for a match.

http://www.scooterhelp.com/serial/vespa.serial.locator.html

Looking at the photos, and I'm no expert at this, I would be highly suspicious of the history. It does have some Asian import features.

Thanks
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Looks like a Vietnamese import alright. As such is worth what someone will pay for it. Be honest though, those things are often dangerous, so the person buying should know what they are getting into. I know that's not what you want to hear, sorry dude.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks AlanMac, that link is really helpful
OP
UTC

UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
Looks like a Vietnamese import alright. As such is worth what someone will pay for it. Be honest though, those things are often dangerous, so the person buying should know what they are getting into. I know that's not what you want to hear, sorry dude.
Cheers for that info. What about the 'made in Italy' on the license plate surround? Did Asian imports have those too?
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Given that number plates are different in every market I doubt they make the surounds in the factory the bike was made in. You.can probably get them online. And to be fair, it was probably made in Italy. Just had a really hard life on the road in Vietnam. Before being treated to a coat of shiny paint and smattering of chrome
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
looky here
Bodgespotting
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Where a bouts in Australia are you? Here is a link to some of the issues seen in Bodges by one of the mechanics in Melbourne.

http://thevespawizard.com.au/Asian%20Imports.htm

There are some good links from this page as well for being able to identify if that is what you have.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
Re: Is this a VBB Vespa? Can anyone identify this mode?
monkeyboy666 wrote:
Hey there everyone,

I came into possession of this a few months back and want to put it on ebay or similar but have no idea what year or model Vespa it is.

Cheers everyone, much appreciated.
numbers-------swingarm and under the toolbox

do that , gumtree or ebay join the rest. fully restored vepsa piaggio 150 real head turner
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
monkeyboy666 wrote:
Cheers for that info. What about the 'made in Italy' on the license plate surround? Did Asian imports have those too?
By the "license plate surround", I assume you mean an assessory frame that goes around the license plate, not an integral part of the scooter? Could simply mean the surround was made in Italy.

You need to do some digging, using the links offered above.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
To answer your question after the obiously nearly certain VN connection comments, don't expect to get much from anybody that knows about VN Vespas. Maybe a hundred or two if there are some good parts, maybe not. You might get more from someone that does't realize what it is, but please don't do that. In all likelihood, it's much worse than it looks.

And I know there are exceptions but there are too many red flags to imagine this is one.

I hope that by 'came into possession' you mean free?
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
I hope that by 'came into possession' you mean free?
No, he means he got it from the storage where his neighbor's grandfather put it after he imported it straight from Italy where it was restored to his exacting specifications.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
^^ HA!!! ^^^
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
AlanMac wrote:
Where a bouts in Australia are you? Here is a link to some of the issues seen in Bodges by one of the mechanics in Melbourne.

http://thevespawizard.com.au/Asian%20Imports.htm

There are some good links from this page as well for being able to identify if that is what you have.
if your in perth i'd have look at it
OP
UTC

UTC quote
[quote="joshzingzing"]
AlanMac wrote:
if your in perth i'd have look at it
Melbourne I'm afraid.

So I had a look at the frame and engine numbers...but when I entered them into the links provided they don't come up. Well the engine number doesn't and the frame number has suffered a ding and is only partially legible. I'm pretty sure it ends in a 67.

Anyway, these are the numbers I have if anyone can make sense of them:

Frame: IGM 4380 OM
Engine: VBB2M 264498

If anyone can shed any light on what they signify and let me know, I'd be in your debt. And thanks a ton for all the assistance so far guys, you are all awesome.
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
you have a 1965 150 engine.

And whaddaya mean Melbourne, unfortunately????? It is the place to be! There are some good folk there that could have a look at the bike for you.
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Not sure about that VIN number. Can you take a pic of it??? where was it on the bike?
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
edit. the igm is the wrong spot bud ,,most have that in the wheel arch

outside edge of the frame just under where the toolbox would sit

it should read *VBB2T """""""""

its got quite a bit of bog as i said before
⚠️ Last edited by joshzingzing on UTC; edited 1 time
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
From looking about

IGM = Ispettorato Generale Motorizzazione

And this is an inspection number or something, not the VIN.

Have a look at this link and it shows where your VIN should be

http://www.scooterhelp.com/serial/vespa.serial.locator.html
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
legit
that couldnt be more nammy if ya hung noodles on it to dry
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
joshzingzing wrote:
outside edge of the frame just under where the toolbox would sit

should read *VBB2T """""""""

its got quite a bit of bog as i said before
Or,
as Josh said!
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Re: legit
T5bitza69 wrote:
that couldnt be more nammy if ya hung noodles on it to dry
OP
UTC

UTC quote
This is the location of the IGM number...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The engine is stamped with 264498 VBB2M

I tried to take a pic of the frame number but in an attempt to remove some paint and crud, I kinda made reading it even harder...sorry but it's illegible.

I might have to get a Melbourne vespa buyer around to tell me, "Yeah naa mate, it's a Bulgarian built knock-off that is powered by orphan tears. I'll give ya $2 to take it off ya hands."

If all else fails I'll just put it on ebay as a VBB suitable for restoration or parts and let the market decide if it's worth anything.

If I can determine without any doubt that it's a bodge then I'll advertise it as parts only rather than risk some unscrupulous douche nozzle restoring it and flogging it of as something it may not be.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
AlanMac wrote:
Not sure about that VIN number. Can you take a pic of it??? where was it on the bike?
Sorry, by VIN number do you mean the one stamped in the frame or the engine? On the frame there's a semi legible number followed by IGM 430 OM.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
monkeyboy666 wrote:
This is the location of the IGM number...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The engine is stamped with 264498 VBB2M

I tried to take a pic of the frame number but in an attempt to remove some paint and crud, I kinda made reading it even harder...sorry but it's illegible.

If all else fails I'll just put it on ebay as a VBB suitable for restoration or parts and let the market decide if it's worth anything.

If I can determine without any doubt that it's a bodge then I'll advertise it as parts only rather than risk some unscrupulous douche nozzle restoring it and flogging it of as something it may not be.
yes you can determine without any doubt .
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Alrighty, for some reason those numbers work when I search the scooter database in the link on the previous page and the engine adn frame numbers come back as 1965 VBB.

So if I have this straight...it was built in Italy (indicated by the IGM stamp) in 1965 which is good news.

The not so good news is most people here are saying it appears to have been one of the zillions of Vespas exported to Asia, which then found it's way to Australia.

As I'm going to sell it on ebay and don't want to misrepresent the scooter, or unwittingly dupe someone into buying something they aren't getting, so what are the indications you guys spotted in the pics that indicates its a bodge?

As far as I can tell it looks like any old Vespa in need of restoration, which is why I came here to get the opinions of the experts

Being a Vespa ignoramus, aside from the odometer reading 180 I can't tell if it's suffered the backyard fix-it-with-whatever-comes-to-hand or was simply imported to Australia from Italy some time after 1965.

To clarify, I was given the scooter from a housemate who has since moved overseas and the Vespa was given to him by a friend of his. That's why I have no knowledge of the scooter's history.

Anyway, what tells you guys this scooter spend time in Asia and has had it's Italian purity violated?

Again, thanks for all the help with this
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
If you really like scooters and that one was given to you. Do yourself a favor and get a good used scooter from a good source.

That one is not the one you want to begin liking scooters with.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
There are many typical points on this bike that usually signify Asian restoration such as the chrome trim bits, rubber mat and even the color. If you read some of the Bodge Spotting thread, you'll find more.

It's not all so obvious to the uninitiated, but the real problem is any bodywork that may have been done can be very risky and these bikes have a reputation for that as well as 'refurbished' worn out motors that break down soon & often.

Glad to hear your plans for it & also that you did get it free.
⚠️ Last edited by V oodoo on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
Another big problem are the worn cases.

It is common to find bearings that have been 'dimpled' so they fit.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Those yellow boots on the center stand are common on VN bodges, but could also have been something available cheap to anyone or taken off a bodge.

Most sure method would be to take the body down to bare metal and see if it was pieced together or seriously patched. The welding should be relatively obvious.

And that's just the body. Similar degree of tear down and inspection of engine, too.

In short - a fair amount of work.
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Most imports also have a new speedo with low milage as yours does.

I'm pretty sure you have something from SEA. BUT, it may be in reasonable condition and usable, but you or someone really needs to do as Aviator suggests and have a good inspection of both engine and body work.

In Melbourne either Roberto or Derek would be able to have a look (Vespa Wizard or Scooterlabs) and give you a rough idea of its condition and possibilities. Both will give an honest impression. Roberto has seen a lot of 'em that people have bought in and they have been real dogs. The problem is that it does take a lot of work to do a full inspection of all the shit that could be wrong with it.

Have you tried the kickstart to see if the piston is seized or not? Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?
UTC

Lurker
Various Vespas

Lurker
Various Vespas
UTC quote
Is this a VBB Vespa?
Most Vietnam rebuilt models have been converted to 10" wheels. If it is a VBB it has been converted. Vietnamese paint job. Vietnamese accessories all point to the fact that it has received the V. treatment. Most Vespas ex. Vietnam have had the VIN number restamped so the identification may not be truly possible.
The IGM number is a design registration and for VBB models should be 'IGM 1380 OM'.
@nebulae avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 210

Addicted
@nebulae avatar
Vespa Rally 210
UTC quote
Re: Is this a VBB Vespa?
BillDrake wrote:
Most Vietnam rebuilt models have been converted to 10" wheels. If it is a VBB it has been converted. Vietnamese paint job. Vietnamese accessories all point to the fact that it has received the V. treatment. Most Vespas ex. Vietnam have had the VIN number restamped so the identification may not be truly possible.
The IGM number is a design registration and for VBB models should be 'IGM 1380 OM'.
Bill - Vespas in vietnam didn't have unique VIN's . . . did they . . . ??
Or am i misunderstanding your point about restamped VIN's?
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
monkeyboy666 wrote:
Anyway, what tells you guys this scooter spend time in Asia and has had it's Italian purity violated?

Again, thanks for all the help with this
I'm a relative newcomer to world of Vespas, but can identify a few items that tend to be common to Asian bikes:

- Yellow boots
- Glove box on leg shield not appropriate for year/model
- Near florescent "minty" paint
- Chrome hubcap
- Chome thing under the headset
- Chrome helmet hook
- Floor mats (possibly hiding sketchy bondo work or worse)

It's possible all the above was done by a local Aussie, but more likely that the bike was imported from Asia.

Asian bikes get ridden hard as they tend to be the primary mode of transportation for many people, and they are often used as work scooters to haul things. When they wear out, they tend to be repaired "creatively" with inexpensive, recycled and jerry-rigged parts. Like a used car, shiny paint on a scooter doesn't mean it's sound.

People who know Vespas will pay what it's worth. Your best bet is to learn a little more about that model and inspect it more thoroughly before you put it up for sale.

Good luck.
UTC

Lurker
Various Vespas

Lurker
Various Vespas
UTC quote
It is not clear whether Vietnamese Vespas imported to Vietnam in the 1960s and 1970s had VIN numbers but of the rebuilt models exported, a proportion have VIN numbers in a style that is identical to those imported into the Uk during that period. The majority ex. Vietnam have VIN numbers in the same format as the Italian stampings but are evidently newly marked. In the recent past the Italians had a scrappage scheme where the surrender of an old machine (generally two stroke) earned a discount against a modern 4 stroke. It is possible that the chassis numbers and engines found their way to Vietnam. Some machines ex Vietnam have chassis parts containing a VIN number inserted into another chassis. The permutations are endless.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
monkeyboy666 wrote:
" I'll give ya $2 to take it off ya hands."

Take the $2 you fool!
@nebulae avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 210

Addicted
@nebulae avatar
Vespa Rally 210
UTC quote
BillDrake wrote:
It is not clear whether Vietnamese Vespas imported to Vietnam in the 1960s and 1970s had VIN numbers but of the rebuilt models exported, a proportion have VIN numbers in a style that is identical to those imported into the Uk during that period. The majority ex. Vietnam have VIN numbers in the same format as the Italian stampings but are evidently newly marked. In the recent past the Italians had a scrappage scheme where the surrender of an old machine (generally two stroke) earned a discount against a modern 4 stroke. It is possible that the chassis numbers and engines found their way to Vietnam. Some machines ex Vietnam have chassis parts containing a VIN number inserted into another chassis. The permutations are endless.
Thanks Bill.
Very informative.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
SFvsr wrote:
monkeyboy666 wrote:
" I'll give ya $2 to take it off ya hands."

Take the $2 you fool!
That's a bargain at half that price.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
If you really like scooters and that one was given to you. Do yourself a favor and get a good used scooter from a good source.
That one is not the one you want to begin liking scooters with.
At the risk of offending anyone, my only interest in this or any scooter for that matter, is to sell it for whatever I can get for some extra Christmas splash money to put towards my kids presents.

I own and ride a sports bike...and couldn't imagine myself riding a scooter but hey, we're all two-wheeled brothers in my book regardless of our choice in bikes.

So thanks guys for all the assistance on this, you've all gone above and beyond with the helpful info, informative links and extra knowledge you've shared with a complete stranger to this forum and I really value and appreciate the time and effort I don't expect I'll be around this way again, but safe riding and thanks again for all the help.

You guys are an impressive bunch of people too...even if you do ride scooters!

Take it easy and ride safe fellas.

Laughing emoticon
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
I hear ya Monkey.

I don't offend easily so no worries.

If you want to make some xmas cheer money this scoot you have is probably not a good source.

You can part it and maybe sell some gears or rims and tires or a headlight and maybe something else.

But as for other things like fork, cases, hubs.......you'r gonna have to tell people where they came from.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0204s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]