OP
UTC

vespa LX125

vespa LX125
UTC quote
Hello,
The lever of front brake is too strong and the front wheel can't freely rotate at rest (there is some friction), it seems the disc pads are too tight, how can I adjust it without replacing the fluid?

Thanks!
Tom
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If it's hard to rotate the wheel by hand, either a piston is stuck or the retaining pin is corroded and not allowing the pads to move out of the way. Whatever, the caliper needs to be cleaned up. This can be done without draining any fluid.

That said, the pads should just be touching the disc, without exerting any pressure on it.
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Did you overfill with brake fluid? If not you may need to clean and grease the slide pins on the brake caliper. There are other possible causes. The slide pins are the most probable.
OP
UTC

vespa LX125

vespa LX125
UTC quote
query
thanks guys, any hints how to do it?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Prise off the cover clip (if you have one) from the back of the caliper. You can now see the backs of the pads and the restraining pin and spring. This is the stage when you can judge the amount of material left on the pads, as the centre of the spring is very close to the width of the brake disc.

To remove the pads:

First remove the wheel. This is done by first freeing up the five bolts that hold the front wheel on, then chocking up the scooter frame on the upturned 'pet-carrier'. Remove the five bolts, remove the front wheel.

Undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the fork. Do NOT undo the two bolts that hold the caliper together. Take off the circlip to the rear of the pad retaining pin. Push the pin as far out as possible, then pull it the remainder of the way, catching the spring in the process. The pads can now be removed, and *if necessary* the pistons can be cleaned up. As above though, it's usually the retaining pin that's corroded/pitted. You can get replacements, but it can be cleaned up nicely with a file and then given a smear of anti-seize before re-fitting.

Edit - to remove the pads when you're replacing them, use a flat-bladed screwdriver to slowly prise them apart until the pistons are fully retracted. If you're not replacing the pads, use great care when doing this, or better use an old pair of pads kept to one side for just this purpose.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@lx125man avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa LX 125

Molto Verboso
@lx125man avatar
Vespa LX 125
UTC quote
After doing my front brakes this weekend, I noticed it has been ever so slighly harder to wheel the bike from my house to the road, The lever is firm when I apply the brakes (not spongy) so Im assuming my bleeding went ok but the lever doesnt travel that far now (new pads & fluid?)

One thing I didn't do was clean or apply copper grease to the pin...

Would it be best to take it out and do that?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I would - it doesn't take much time and could save aggro down the road.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]